• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Ace of the Diamond - 08
Its maybe were extra cheesy at the end, but goddamn its some great shonen harto there. I think this is my favorite show this season after YZQ and Gunpla builders.. I just love good old baseball drama anime.

Ace of the Diamond - 08
Its maybe were extra cheesy at the end, but goddamn its some great shonen harto there. I think this is my favorite show this season after YZQ and Gunpla builders.. I just love good old baseball drama anime.

My tolerance for training is wearing thin. I don't want to watch a baseball show about a pitcher who doesn't pitch.

zeroshiki

Speaking of Kouhaku, Mizuki Nana and TM Revolution are counted as separate acts (they're actually on separate "teams" as well) but the best selling (popular?) song this year for either of them is the Valvrave song they did. It'd be cool if they could do a collaboration.

Articalys

Speaking of Kouhaku, Mizuki Nana and TM Revolution are counted as separate acts (they're actually on separate "teams" as well) but the best selling (popular?) song this year for either of them is the Valvrave song they did. It'd be cool if they could do a collaboration.
Is there any history of members from the Red and White teams performing the same song together?

fertygo

My tolerance for training is wearing thin. I don't want to watch a baseball show about a pitcher who doesn't pitch.

But we already know he gonna pitch anyway, he just have serious obstacle right now.. and the journey for that is fun for me.

the off-field stuff always the best thing from this kind of show.. the sport action thing usually paid off with the build-up.

Jarmel

Banned
Infinite Stratos 2- 8
cruel-intentions-sebastian.jpg

The anime version of Cruel Intentions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yozakura Quartet: Hoshi no Umi Episodes 1-3:

So given that we have been told that this arc is probably going to be skipped in Hana no Uta, I figured I might as well watch all of it before that time occurs. This was an interesting watch because this isn't 1 to 1 with the new television show with some little shifts in tone, personality and characterization.
Case in point I do not remember killing ever being a sticking point in Hana No Uta and Hime rejecting a pointed weapon because it could kill somebody would look silly in the face of the fact that her first Dragon Lance in Hana No Uta was pretty damn sharp and pointy.

Anyway, yea, if this arc does not appear in the Hana No Uta, then Hosi on Umi is required watching as it laid down the foundation of The Big Bad's next course of action as well give the limelight to a character who I am almost sure has been at best in the background if she has been seen and, yea, a lot is going to be lost if this is not here. As far as it own merits goes, Hoshi no Umi certainly has more of that sakuga fluidity, the benefits of OVA animation I suppose. Also, it is almost unnerving to see the panty-shot count be in the single digits for the entire affair. Lastly, while this was overall fine, it did feel like it suffered from plot compression .

Nordicus

Hirugashi no Naku Koro ni - Series Review

To summarize this anime is a murder-mystery stuck in a recurring time loop of sorts which each loop or arc telling different stories and revealing clues/hints on what's happening but still keeping the same fixed/pivotal moment. While this aspect of time loops is interesting I feel it could've been executed better as I'm still having questions on what specifically happened or is 'real' in each loop
such as why Rena and Mion set out to kill Keichii in the first arc?, how did Shion-acting-as-Mion come back to kill Keichii in the hospital when she fell off the building?, is Keichii's wishing for multiple people dead coming true relevant in the overall story or for that specific arc?
Hopefully these things will be explained in the second season.
Pretty much the entire purpose of the second season is to explain this stuff, so don't worry.

Jarmel

Banned
Escaflowne- A Girl in Gaea
So I thought this was supposed to be bad. It's by no means great but I did like this a bit. I suppose I should qualify my statements with the fact that I didn't like the TV series. Escaflowne was one of the first anime I had ever watched and probably the first one I disliked. I can't say whether this is an improvement over the TV series as it has probably been close to a decade since I've seen the TV series. I do remember some of my general complaints and overall feeling regarding the TV show and the movie has left me in a better mood than the TV series did, so there is that. So I pretty much won't, and wasn't when watching, be comparing the movie to the TV series. So viewing this by itself, it's ok. There are some characters and relationships that are obviously throwbacks to the TV series and I'm sure some of the characters are much more fleshed out there as well. That said, it didn't become obnoxious, in that the audience should know who certain characters were, or that the movie became bogged down in fanservice. Yea there were certainly a few characters that probably would have gotten trimmed out if this was a completely standalone product but it's not.
The one thing I think I liked the most about the movie was Hitomi's character development. I'm pretty sure the TV series didn't have anything as interesting regarding her and I thought the movie did a good job into making her human with stuff like depression. I loved some of the earlier scenes with her being melancholic and just sort of lost. The movie was about healing and I think Hitomi reflected that very well, not only in her development but also how she related to others. Van's stuff was pretty compelling as there was some deep psychological trauma due to his past and this was reflected in his current personality. Allen got the shaft, he's pretty much there and doesn't really interact with Hitomi at all, but I remember not really caring for him in the TV series anyway so no loss there.
There's a lot of symbolism in the movie such as time, water, and fire. Hitomi enters Gaea through water which could be representative of birth and the first full body shot of Escaflowne is it coming out of the wrecking of the blimp with fire surrounding it. There are also ample allusions to dreams, something I remember from the OG TV series, which you could say is homage to The Wizard of Oz.
ibbXuQqkD4Jy3f.jpg

Follow the yellow brick road.
The animation and art direction were stellar. I knew this going in due to watching Yutaka Nakamura MADs. The character models are off every now and then but that's really my only complaint on a visual level. The lighting is gorgeous throughout the film and the big mech fight near the end was pretty awesome due to the weight of the mechs being displayed. Audio-wise I forgot how good the Escaflowne soundtrack is. Sora and Memory of Fanelia actually brought up memories as those two I do remember from the show(that and also the Kanno concert in August).
I do think the movie was a bit short and would have heavily profited if it had expanded on Folken and his grief instead of it being a bit one dimensional. Dilandau was also as annoying as I remember him in the TV series.

Theonik

Cowboy the Bebop 01
Good show. Bad CG asteroids.
Nice tits. This could be fun.
We'll see if it lives up to the hype promptly.

Theonik

Cowboy: The Bebop 02
Basically a Haly episode. That Welsh corgi.
Spike sure is unfortunate isn't he, but the preview makes it seem like his luck is about to change for better or for worse.
And yes this episode was buggered in my UK BD copy. Wish it was the only issue though...

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 8-
45981-Sweet-Jesus-mother-of-god-Jura-ytNE.gif

Oh man. I'm straight hyped for this. It's going to be like a legit version of G-Gundam's Final Round.

Seriously for the sequel, they should just do a Sunrise version. Get stuff like Code Geass in there.

Pretty much the entire purpose of the second season is to explain this stuff, so don't worry.

I hope so as if true this anime would be one of those rare gems in which relies on story rather than artstyle/animation to reel in its audience.

Rena however is the exception and is always nice to see on screen.

Theonik

Cowboy: The Bebop 03
Finally a wench. Was getting worried.
Kinda disappointed at the ending though. I'd have thought she'd join the permanent cast based on pictures of the show I'd seen around but that might not be the case.
Still good episode. Some nice space sakuga.

Found this translation of an interview with Tensai Okamura about his new TV show, Sekai Seifuku (World Conquest):

Director:
>I can't say when exactly this project began. You can say 6 years ago or 2 years ago.
>Anime will mostly have one episode-one story format, so if you're interested you can even start watching from midway!
>The time frame is probably a city right in the middle of present-day Tokyo.
>The characters are probably normal humans. Maybe there will be monsters.
>I wonder if a mysterious super ancient civilization will appear?
>Venera is steadily working towards the goal of world conquest.
>Concerning the strange outfits in the main visuals: "There are some things that the world is better not knowing"
>That living thing flying above professor Um is a mascot character. Maybe it will give you a magic power if you make a contract?
>Explanation of the main characters: Venera-sama = a little girl with an extraordinary charisma; Dva = a sullen second year middle schooler; professor Um = 15 years old in charge of technology, for some reason speaks Hiroshima-ben; Roboko = as the appearance would suggest, a robot; Odin = simply an idiot; Plamya-sama = commander of the shock squad, a high school student; general Pepel = has a sweet tooth
>Please look forward to some sexy scenes!
>What is Zvezda? -> I'm sorry, I can't come up with an interesting joke.

[Producer?]
>We met with the director when we were working on Blue Exorcist. He said "let's make an original story too!" and sent me this project.
>After looking at the project I was like "Am you for real?!"
>I had a strong feeling of doubt if we could make it into a TV series. At that point the project was very simple. There was nothing written except Venera-sama.
>Airing on TV a story about a little girl conquering the world...
>In a DTB interview he said "Next, I want to make a story about a little girl conquering the world", so that means that the idea existed about 6 years ago.
>Venera-sama is the leader of Zvezda, but do they really conquer the world? ...I wonder (laughs)
>Zvezda is a name of a secret society. The characters in the main visual are its members.
>Of course there will also be action scenes. We hope to present you with beautiful action, that won't betray your expectations.
>There are still many things I can't say about this work, but if you watch it you'll understand why they are armed and the meaning of the "world domination".
>The story's essence is concentrated in the first episode, so I hope you'll like it.

Theonik

Cowboy: The Bebop 04
And yeah I spoke too soon.
Also I'm not entirely sure if spike is an idiot or not, he put that vial in her pocket on purpose clearly but could he have planned this outcome? Also that was not a particularly clever thing to do in the first place I'd argue.

I just got done watching One Piece since I missed it yesterday. I'm starting to notice that the animation in One Piece is starting to be consistently good. The animation is usually on it's ups and downs, but it seems to be on it's feet lately in the past few episodes. Hopefully it stays that way, because the latest episode looked pretty great even though not much happened.

Now I need to catch up on Hajime No Ippo Rising, and see the latest episode of Magi and I'll be all caught up.

Nordicus

I just got done watching One Piece since I missed it yesterday. I'm starting to notice that the animation in One Piece is starting to be consistently good. The animation is usually on it's ups and downs, but it seems to be on it's feet lately in the past few episodes. Hopefully it stays that way, because the latest episode looked pretty great even though not much happened.
I saw that everyone at ToonamiGAF yesterday were amazed by Usopp and his voice actor this last episode?

If you're only following the dubbed anime episodes and haven't seen anything else about the future episodes, then I can't wait for the reactions 2 and 3 weeks from now, unless there some kind of special schedule instead of regular broadcast

Humanity Has Declined 1-4

Got the BD on Friday. Didn't watch when it first aired so this is my first go of it. And...it's certainly different. Absurd enough that I'm still not really sure what to make of it though I do like
its unique take on manga culture in eps 3 and 4

Yuyushiki - End

Now that I've finished this, I can say it's a pleasant show that ultimately doesn't reach the level of memorable. It's well-made, with attractive designs and animation, and it's amusing and relaxing to various degrees throughout. But the characters aren't well-defined enough to stand out, the skits often lack the energy or punch to make an impact, and there aren't enough sweet, reflective moments to make it an emotionally effective slice-of-life show. The structure is pretty aimless - I know it can be difficult to adapt a 4koma into a half-hour anime, but other shows have done better, such as Hidamari Sketch's defined time frames or Love Lab's continuous narrative. That may just be a difference in source material. The level of yuri innuendo was also too high; it intruded into otherwise natural interactions and made the characters feel more obviously contrived for appeal to a particular crowd.

I still like the show, and I respect Kinema Citrus' craft, but they didn't entirely manage to rise above their material here like they did with Code:Breaker. I guess the latter had more to work with though.

Theonik

Strike Witches: The Movie
ibt5HMgnGVWWi6.png

Oh look it's Zach's avatars
I quite liked this film actually. It basically comprised of two parts, first half focused on introducing new cute witches for us to look at. (and how fabulous they were)
The second part was focusing on how awesome Miyafuji was which lead to a scene that almost had me in tears.
I'd actually missed this a lot more than I thought. There were also several scenes that I found particularly amusing which I will not mention as I will let people discover those on their own butt yes.
I'm actually very happy that Miyafuji ot her magic back. I thought the ending of S2 was pants in how it handled its tail end in that regard.

I set out to watch this without taking pictures of butts yet I still somehow ended up with 179 screenshots. Welp.
A most refreshing amount of butts.

I saw that everyone at ToonamiGAF yesterday were amazed by Usopp and his voice actor this last episode?

If you're only following the dubbed anime episodes and haven't seen anything else about the future episodes, then I can't wait for the reactions 2 and 3 weeks from now, unless there some kind of special schedule instead of regular broadcast

I was actually talking about the latest new episodes in Japan. I was watching One Piece on Toonami as well though, and was really surprised by Usopp's VA. I was starting to feel the feels if the "To Be Continued" didn't interrupt the scene.

I haven't seen any of the episodes on the arc Toonami is currently on. I've only seen the episodes from when the Strawhats
get on the sea train to go to the CP9
and onward. That's when I stepped back into the series long ago. I'm really happy to see Usopp getting some attention, he's my favorite Strawhat.

Nordicus

I haven't seen any of the episodes on the arc Toonami is currently on. I've only seen the episodes from when the Strawhats
get on the sea train to go to the CP9
and onward. That's when I stepped back into the series long ago. I'm really happy to see Usopp getting some attention, he's my favorite Strawhat.
That's really close though if my memory serves. So there's basically a gap between newest Toonami episode and the earliest subbed episode you watched, where you haven't seen what happened in-between? Damn man. It's as if you've seen Naruto but never seen the Gaara vs Rock Lee fight, though slightly different brand of awesome

Articalys

Having had their release plans for the series leaked twice now despite never even formally announcing they had the series, it seems that the trailer leak yesterday (which, admittedly, was part of a product meant to go on sale next week) finally forced Funimation's hand into officially confirming that they've license rescued Eureka Seven.

Why they were holding back the announcement all this time is anybody's guess.

Tokyo ravens - 06
How the cast react :

Boys love : fantastic
Shikigami love : gross

That's discrimation i tell you !!!

He could have avoided this by telling everyone that he was with a girl , or someone else in private..

Jex

Cowboy: The Bebop 04
And yeah I spoke too soon.
Also I'm not entirely sure if spike is an idiot or not, he put that vial in her pocket on purpose clearly but could he have planned this outcome? Also that was not a particularly clever thing to do in the first place I'd argue.

I almost feel like talking about Spike's character is kind of a spoiler, in some weird way. I'd say that to a get a true understanding of his outlook, at least early on, requires the viewer to pay pretty close attention to exactly what he says and does, rather than just the character that he demonstrates to the rest of the world. For example, you should probably watch the preview for episode 5 as Spike narrates it himself and reveals something about himself. If you're just watching casually it's pretty easy to miss some of the characterisation that they sneak around the sides, although they're also pretty happy to lay it out for you in full sometimes.

Theonik

I almost feel like talking about Spike's character is kind of a spoiler, in some weird way. I'd say that to a get a true understanding of his outlook, at least early on, requires the viewer to pay pretty close attention to exactly what he says and does, rather than just the character that he demonstrates to the rest of the world. For example, you should probably watch the preview for episode 5 as Spike narrates it himself and reveals something about himself.
I should have said, it's pretty obvious he keeps a façade going for various reasons. I just can't seem to be able to figure out what lies underneath which I suppose is part of the intrigue the show is trying to weave for the viewer and is done quite well.

Jex

I should have said, it's pretty obvious he keeps a façade going for various reasons. I just can't seem to be able to figure out what lies underneath which I suppose is part of the intrigue the show is trying to weave for the viewer and is done quite well.

I think it's interesting that you bring that up at all because really, with the cool design, great direction, excellent animation and outstanding soundtrack the actual writing of the show can often fall by the wayside in terms of the check list of things that get discussed about Cowboy Bebop because it can be a lot more subtle than you'd expected. As you say, I think they handled it remarkably well especially for a series that is essentially a series of genre pastiches strung together by a likeable cast of characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom