• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

I think it's a fairly accurate portrayal of a test pilot.

I would agree with you on the movie version though, because that makes him look far worse, LOL.

They couldn't possibly have had only 1 test pilot ever, right? Even watching it all those years back, I always wondered why they didn't just fire his ass for insubordination and recklessness.

fertygo

Kaikimonogatari - 01

This is awesome, first time I'm hooked with the series again since long time.
Damn this guy swag has increasing ten fold since nise.

26sNX9e.jpg

Are you fo real?

So hyped with this arc noow.

Syrinx

I too like my current avatar. Will admit it was a bit nerve wracking to get it that way for many reasons.

Lets say a few months. I think... probably April or May even.
Onpu is your best avatar, yes. As for me, I change way too frequently but I don't really give a fuck.

Bombless

They couldn't possibly have had only 1 test pilot ever, right? Even watching it all those years back, I always wondered why they didn't just fire his ass for insubordination and recklessness.

For the reason explained in the plot itself :
They military knew the X prototype was near completion but they still kept the YF projects running as a cover up.

fertygo

I actually meant to say in the Macross franchise but there's probably a good argument to be made that he's in the top 10 worst for everything.

I mean, the dude was a certifiable prick with the worst personality ever, got everyone around him in extreme danger, would be one of the worst role models ever and is a "hero" basically because the creators told us he was.

But Bryan Cranston dubbed his voice!

Onpu is your best avatar, yes. As for me, I change way too frequently but I don't really give a fuck.

Your words and the rest make me feel glad that it took about 6 hours to find what I like and then make it work.

Your constant changes however, cannot hide who you are, I recognise you no matter what.

Avatar choosing basically narrows down to Humikane stuff, Yunocchi, and the occasional and current mofuwa that for one reason or another captures my heart.

Articalys

They're not skipping anything. The episodes already exist.
Yes, I know the Hoshi no Umi OVA episodes exist. But it still feels like a cheap move for a TV series that I thought was an inclusive reboot for those new to the series in the first place -- unless that was never their intention overall.

Jarmel

Banned
I have and Maverick actually got court martialled when they thought he fucked up. Isamu barely even got a reprimand when they know he disobeyed orders and put everyone in danger.

I actually don't think it was a formal court martial as it didn't go to trial. Also someone actually died.

duckroll

Yes, I know the Hoshi no Umi OVA episodes exist. But it still feels like a cheap move for a TV series that I thought was an inclusive reboot for those new to the series in the first place -- unless that was never their intention overall.

I don't see how it's any different from TV shows which have OVA specials on DVD/BDs though. The only difference here is that for people watching the TV series, they can buy the arc right now if they're interested. There's no need to wait!

What would be the point of the exact same staff doing the arc again for the TV series, when it was already done to their satisfaction the first time?

wonzo

Banned
The same staff already did the OVA's which can now be bought standalone. There's absolutely no good reason for them to redo any of that at all.

Articalys

I never said I expected them to just redo the arc in the anime; all I'm saying it that it just feels lousy to have the TV series basically force you to go to supplementary material midway through the season, be it the original manga or an older OVA series, just to not have any gaps in your knowledge of the plot.

Then again none of us have actually seen episode 9 anyway! Maybe they'll handle it more gracefully than we think. I suppose I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Is there a clear indication in the TV show that you should refer to the OVA? Or does it depend on the OVA having already been seen.

wonzo

Banned
I never said I expected them to just redo the arc in the anime; all I'm saying it that it just feels lousy to have the TV series basically force you to go to supplementary material midway through the season, be it the original manga or an older OVA series, just to not have any gaps in your knowledge of the plot.
wow its almost as if these cartoons exist in the first place to sell stuff

fertygo

Then again none of us have actually seen episode 9 anyway! Maybe they'll handle it more gracefully than we think. I suppose I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Yeah, but think it this way.. they gonna adapt the uncovered material, instead redo that again or just put it there, kyosogiga route.

I do see where Art is coming from. Making a tv adaptation with an already made OVA adaptation in mind, and then planning it so said OVA's place in the story gets slapped right in the middle of the tv series is an annoying and convoluted way of doing things. It's non-linear story-telling that transcends the product itself, making it somewhat resemble the clusterfuck of western comics.

However, we animegaffers know this. We shouldn't care about the inconvenience it causes for the typical watcher since we are aware of it and can just watch it in that order. It's just like knowing which of the JoJo OVAs to watch first.

Edit: I'll also add that this wouldn't be anywhere near as annoying if Yozakura was a series of self-contained stories. It isn't, and Hoshi no Umi does quite a bit to further the overarching plot as it develops one character and cements another one's role in the story going forward.

From Up on Poppy Hill

Hmmm. Not bad. Nothing spectacular. Like a less exciting Porco Rosso in atmosphere. I'd give it an 7.5/10. Maybe an 8 if I were drunk. 9 if if it had gone closer to
Lannister territory

Articalys

wow its almost as if these cartoons exist in the first place to sell stuff
I know damn well that anime is merchandise-driven, it's just not usually in the context of "hope you've already read the manga or bought and watched this separate OVA in-between episodes of the reboot TV series, otherwise you're fucked as far as understanding the plot goes".

duckroll

I know damn well that anime is merchandise-driven, it's just not usually in the context of "hope you've already read the manga or bought and watched this separate OVA in-between episodes of the reboot TV series, otherwise you're fucked as far as understanding the plot goes".

I don't think there's any expectation here that people should have read the manga or watched the OADs before the TV series. I don't hear anyone dropping Gargantia because there were going to be OVAs with the BDs which took place during the TV series. :p

wonzo

Banned
If it wasn't thanks to the success of the OVAs we never would've gotten this remake in the first place.

Articalys

I don't think there's any expectation here that people should have read the manga or watched the OADs before the TV series. I don't hear anyone dropping Gargantia because there were going to be OVAs with the BDs which took place during the TV series. :p
Okay, first, I'll admit that the dropping line was a bit of a humorous overreaction. But to compare YQ and Gargantia, the way that the Gargantia OVAs were presented was clear from the start that they were side-stories meant to enhance the main story, not an entire plot arc excised from the TV series.

Anyway, if as you say they're working on Hana no Uta without expecting people to have watched Hoshi no Umi, then I guess I'll just wait for ep.9 impressions and see how they handle it before commenting further.

Hirugashi no Naku Koro ni - Series Review

Whatever possessed me to watch this series? No idea but I did; two days to marathon through all 26 episodes.

First let me say that I am aware there is a second season to this and I will get on that ASAP but here I am just going to go off from what I've seen in this first season.

So with this anime we have murder, mystery, drama, suspense, horror: all that good stuff I enjoy. The beginning of the show reminded me of Madoka Magika is introducing this moe/fluffy scenery only to have everything go to shit early on setting up the recurring theme in the later episodes (this turning point being at episode 4). I have to say I was getting some serious CSI-vibes when watching this anime, analyzing everything and formulating my own thoughts only to have the show say "Fuck you" and shove said thoughts back in my face and telling me I'm wrong.

To summarize this anime is a murder-mystery stuck in a recurring time loop of sorts which each loop or arc telling different stories and revealing clues/hints on what's happening but still keeping the same fixed/pivotal moment. While this aspect of time loops is interesting I feel it could've been executed better as I'm still having questions on what specifically happened or is 'real' in each loop
such as why Rena and Mion set out to kill Keichii in the first arc?, how did Shion-acting-as-Mion come back to kill Keichii in the hospital when she fell off the building?, is Keichii's wishing for multiple people dead coming true relevant in the overall story or for that specific arc?
Hopefully these things will be explained in the second season.

Another criticism I have with this anime is what theme/message its trying to tell.
From how it ended I would assume the theme would be the importance of friendship/trust, however if that were true then I would say it was done poorly as Keichii wasn't in any wrong for trying to understand the story of a village-wide murder mystery which everyone seems to know but him.

Music for this anime was well-done and I've no gripes with it. While enjoyable no pieces particularly stood out to me, well except for the beginning of the OP. As for animation it was set below-average during the fluff bits but rose to average to above average during the intense moments (them faces, THEM FACES).

Overall Hirugashi no Naku Koro ni was great. Even with all the questions I have after finishing I put it as 'great' due to the knowledge of knowing that it has a second season to further explain itself. Whether or not it will succeed is besides the point. Though some fluff bits annoyed me a bit the show succeeded in keeping me on the edge and my mind working for the majority of its run.

Side-thoughts:
Rena is best psychopathic killer

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
However, we animegaffers know this. We shouldn't care about the inconvenience it causes for the typical watcher since we are aware of it and can just watch it in that order.
It seems pretty inconvenient for just about anyone.

zeroshiki

The Attack on Titan OP singer Linked Horizon just got announced as a performer for the year end Kouhaku Utagassen. Whoa.

Mizuki Nana and TM Revolution round out the semi-anime related people chosen.

Articalys

The Attack on Titan OP singer Linked Horizon just got announced as a performer for the year end Kouhaku Utagassen. Whoa.

Mizuki Nana and TM Revolution round out the semi-anime related people chosen.
There's also miwa, who sang the Silver Spoon OP... unless there's some other female "miwa" singer I don't know about.

Okay, first, I'll admit that the dropping line was a bit of a humorous overreaction. But to compare YQ and Gargantia, the way that the Gargantia OVAs were presented was clear from the start that they were side-stories meant to enhance the main story, not an entire plot arc excised from the TV series.

Anyway, if as you say they're working on Hana no Uta without expecting people to have watched Hoshi no Umi, then I guess I'll just wait for ep.9 impressions and see how they handle it before commenting further.

The question is, what else could they have done? Asking them to animate that arc again seems like a bit much. It's an awkward situation, but I'm not seeing a good solution.

zeroshiki

There's also miwa, who sang the Silver Spoon OP.

Oh, I didn't know she did. You're right.

Well, if we expand on the semi-anime relations, we have AKB48, SKE48, NMB48 (AKB0048), Momoiro (Precure or something), Kobukuro (Bakuman OP, Cross Game OP), Ayaka (Cross Game ED), Tokio (FMA?).

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 7-2
This reminds me about one of the discussions my friend and I had about true artists and what the difference between performers/entertainers were. He viewed artists as people who didn't give a shit about what other people think but enjoyed the act of creation in of itself while performers were more concerned with the reception of their work.

The main character is an unabashed asshole so I'm not sure what to think about the series so far. My opinion right now is leaning towards that this is stupid as fuck.

Oh, I didn't know she did. You're right.

Well, if we expand on the semi-anime relations, we have AKB48, SKE48, NMB48 (AKB0048), Momoiro (Precure or something), Kobukuro (Bakuman OP, Cross Game OP), Ayaka (Cross Game ED), Tokio (FMA?).

Momorio Clover Z did a Pokemon ED, the OP and ED of Bodacious Space Pirates and will be doing the OP and ED for the upcoming whenever it happens Sailor Moon.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Macross 7-2

This reminds me about one of the discussions my friend and I had about true artists and what the difference between performers/entertainers were. He viewed artists as people who didn't give a shit about what other people think but enjoyed the act of creation in of itself while performers were more concerned with the reception of their work.

The main character is an unabashed asshole so I'm not sure what to think about the series so far. My opinion right now is leaning towards that this is stupid as fuck.
Macross 7 is basically Sailor Moon with more mechs and songs but less comedy and weaker cast.

Bombless

Macross 7-2

He becomes even more of an asshole 1 or 2 eps later. You'll prolly see what I'm talking about.

zeroshiki

Basara is insane. Normal human speech does not get through to him and I am unsure why Gamlin didn't blow his ass up each and every time he interfered in their operations.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 7- 3
ibl5Ki4SwJFieQ.jpg

Yep, I don't know if I can do this. Getting serious Gundam ZZ vibes off of this. The show being 49 episodes ain't making this easier.
ibqK916sYsbDFk.jpg

He's like a more assholish version of Kintarou.
I'm definitely done for tonight.

Bombless

Macross 7- 3

Yep, I don't know if I can do this. Getting serious Gundam ZZ vibes off of this. The show being 49 episodes ain't making this easier.

I'm definitely done for tonight.

Yeah, that was the thing I was talking about.
THEY WERE GOING TO HURT YOU AND I HAD TO HIT THEM TO SAVE YOU, YOU BITCH!

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - Fin aka The Waterworld that didn't suck

I went into this expecting something rather dumb. I'm not ashamed to say I went onto episode 2 because of Bellow's attributes more or less.

I'm glad I did though, because this is a colourful and beautifully animated show. Being rather short I found there were no real slowdowns (if anything, some parts went by too fast) and the world was interesting.

Also worth mentioning that every mid-episode breaks featured a new image related to the current episode. I loved that so much. Items, clothes, stuff that added more depth to the society onboard Gargantia.

Unquestionable best girl :
3yxiGQk.gif

Quick question : Did Chamber's design remind anyone of Full Metal Panic's Arbalest?

zeroshiki

Does MangaGAF know anything about "Shitsuren Chocolatier"? Its apparently a famous manga? Its going to be adapted into a dorama next season and I was curious if it was any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom