• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time 07-08

this show is so enjoyable. Koko is legit crazy but still adorable. There is some MAJOR conflict going on beneath the surface and its all going to explode eventually. I have no idea what to expect and I really love Golden Time for it.

now on to Yuusibu!

Owwari

Banned
Tokyo Ravens 8

That love between bros.

Crying_Kenshiro-(n1308590242490).jpg

Arpeggio of Blue Steel 8

Is it just me, or is there a definite harem vibe going on here? Didn't expect that from a science-fictiony naval war show. But maybe I should really start expecting it from every anime. :p

Regardless, I'm digging this show a lot more than I probably should.

wonzo

Banned
Well if we're gonna start specifying manga stuff then
Kotoha shows a bit of interest in Akina after jokingly telling him to go with her. Maybe not entirely deep feelings but at least some interest.
She was being playful for the sake of being playful and admits she
isn't interested in Akina
afterwards. She wants the V.

Arpeggio of Blue Steel 8

Is it just me, or is there a definite harem vibe going on here? Didn't expect that from a science-fictiony naval war show. But maybe I should really start expecting it from every anime. :p

Regardless, I'm digging this show a lot more than I probably should.

It's not you ...

and they kinda need "a fleet" if the cast wishes to solve this very complicated conflict.

Besides , it's not a harem vibe ( yet ) just a love triangle. Who knows what the future holds.

jbug617

Banned
City Hunter 1-2

I really like this. Surprised when I found out this was from the 80's. Also that ED is very good. I like how it comes in just at the right time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
White Album 2 08
This show has just become lame. Wet blanket MC has pretty much no personality at this point. Lacking much emotion the events that play out all just feel extremely dull with the straightforward and lackluster production, and the contrivances just keep piling up.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I haven't seen this episode and don't even know what happened in it but as god is my witness, when I saw this post:

Tokyo Ravens 8

That love between bros.

Crying_Kenshiro-(n1308590242490).jpg

I new this post was coming instinctively:
Tokyo Ravens Episode 8 "cHImAirA DanCE: -Half-Ogre-"

Perhaps one of the reasons why this anime is in my top three of the season, Bakatora, and Baka-touji, powerful episode.

It's good to know that death and taxes aren't the only things in life one can be sure about <3

NeonZ

So, there's that (quite possibly apocryphal?) piece of hand waving that came about when they started writing Macross sequels which stated that Do You Remember Love was an in-universe re-telling of the events that took place in the Macross TV show, in an attempt to explain why things didn't match up with that version of events in later series (although that doesn't really explain why they seem to switch which version of the original Macross events are canon at the drop of a narrative that). The Frontier movies kinda play a lot with the concept - it's sort of the kind of weird distortion of events that you could see being created as a dramatisation of the TV shows story thirty years later by another Macross fleet which have only actually heard third-hand reports of the actual events. Or Kawamori/Yoshino were just trolling. They kind of both do that.

You're missing a piece of the puzzle there. Do You Remember Love is like an in-universe retelling, but the same is true for the original series as well. According to Kawamori, all Macross productions are basically tv or movie versions of the actual events of the Macross universe, which is why they don't match up perfectly, and later sequels pick and choose elements from previous adaptations, rather than sticking to a single version. None of them are meant to be the real truth, just different takes on events which will never be directly known by the audience.

hipbabboom

City Hunter 1-2

I really like this. Surprised when I found out this was from the 80's. Also that ED is very good. I like how it comes in just at the right time.

Oh man... you are going to love this series and there's plenty to go through if you have access to the whole thing. I would have told you to watch Cat's Eye before starting this but its been like 15 years since I've last seen that series and I remember it having one abortion of a subbing but the content was still good and really accents the City Hunter series nicely. Also be sure to watch the Angel Heart only after you watch every single OTHER(!) City Hunter related content you can find. Doing this will help you decide whether or not you are willing to accept Angel Heart as canon or not.

Bonus unrelated anime to watch if you still want that City Hunter swollen-balls-bad-ass feel: Crying Freeman.

Narag

Bonus unrelated anime to watch if you still want that City Hunter swollen-balls-bad-ass feel: Crying Freeman.

That series sort of declines as it goes along (although I really liked 6). Just comical how any girl that shows up wants a piece of Freeman's dick.

hipbabboom

White Album 2 08
This show has just become lame. Wet blanket MC has pretty much no personality at this point. Lacking much emotion the events that play out all just feel extremely dull with the straightforward and lackluster production, and the contrivances just keep piling up.

Whoa... coming off of dropping the original White Album for being just as you described, I would have agreed with you had I not watched the first 8 episodes. They've gotten better almost on an exponential curve with 7 being the absolute high of just anime drama viewing in general. Episode 8 was a natural segment and an excellent palette cleanser for the shit storm to come. I've (and I'm sure some others) have considered ending their series here because we all feel that what you are describing the show as, while certainly isn't what it currently is, is eventually what it will become. That makes me sad :(

hipbabboom

That series sort of declines as it goes along (although I really liked 6). Just comical how any girl that shows up wants a piece of Freeman's dick.

That and then seeing the hoops they jump through to attempt to grant it legitimacy is (un-ironically) my favorite part of the story arc :D

zeroshiki

You can't spoil something that's hundreds of years old!

:lol 1000 years

wiki said:
The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (&#31481;&#21462;&#29289;&#35486; Taketori Monogatari?), also known as Princess Kaguya (&#12363;&#12368;&#12420;&#23019; Kaguya Hime?, &#36203;&#26144;&#23019; or &#36637;&#22812;&#23019;), is a 10th-century Japanese folktale. It is considered the oldest extant Japanese narrative[1][2] and an early example of proto-science fiction.[3]

Eh so far White Album 2 has been maybe too lax in its atmosphere, but I can't say I was ever bored until the last episode when the sense of drama had gone down since there was almost no reaction to the evens of episode 7 and besides
hand holding
everything was basically status quo.

I will admit the MC has started to become boring, and like I mentioned in my episode 8 review Touma's semi denial tsundere personality was appealing prior to episode 7. Episode 8 it was annoying. Hopefully it gets better. I would actually applaud if the show brought a bit of excitement now.

I think spoilers are generally acceptable as long as the particular media had its impact in society as a whole already. Possibly already finishing its run: Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Dragon Ball Z, are all things that have been viewed by just about everyone who cared about it at that point.

wonzo

Banned
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 8

Yeah, the overall production values took a dive with this episode but it acted as a decent leading to the events of the first OAD series. Speaking of which, I wanna rewatch them right now but someone might slap some subs onto the BD's before the next episode airs. :<

Narag

Kill La Kill 8

• Gamagoori is a bro.
  • Thought it really fucking weird Mako didn't acknowledge the last ep in her reasoning for notparticpating.
  • I wonder what greater evil Kiryuin is preparing everyone for
  • I bet I end up forgetting to keep watching this around 16 or 17.

cajunator

Banned
Yuusibu 07-08

This ones fun too. Fino is still absolutely precious.
The typical small company vs big corporation story but the characters are likeable and the pacing is great. This show is just charming. Theres also boobs so some are bound to love that.

Bombless

City Hunter 1-2

My man! Ryo was my rolemodel when I grew up. Saeko is my waifu4lyfe. Also dat 80s soundtrack...

One of the best anime of that era.

Nafe

You've read zeroshiki's impressions of the film, now listen to zeroshiki talk about the movie on the podcast no one listens to! lol
http://thatothersquadcast.podomatic.com/entry/2013-11-26T15_51_56-08_00

Haha, just a few days ago I had some time so I listened to most of the most recent podcast before this one now (only an hour and a half and not 3hr+ as well! haha) and it was funny how right near the beginning Kurt goes on for about five minutes how he thought the show nagi no asukara is kind of dumb and many of the characters come across as jerks. CrazyCanuck made the odd comment as well. After all that you ask if they recommend the show and Kurt responds with something like "Yeah, it's alright."

You just start laughing and I chuckled myself. After five minutes of what seemed liked hating on the show and you respond with "It's not a bad show" after being inquired about it,haha.

Later you say "Oh yeah, guys, I went to see Gravity again so I've seen it nine time now." Haha. It certainly seems to be an aptly named movie as you just can't seem to escape its grasp! haha. I feel you should have your name included in the Special Thanks of the home video version or something for going to see it so many times.

I just did. lol
(I have no followers?!)

I didn't even know you were on twitter. How many tweets have you made about Gravity?

CorvoSol

Bakemonogatari 8

WHAT I LEARNED FROM ANIME: BIKESHORTS = LESBIANS.

Also Araragi has God Mode enabled because a self-professed Lesbian was DEFINITELY throwing herself at him. And I mean like, f'reels. This is gonna end in a perfect harem ending for him.

Quasar

Episode 8 was a natural segment and an excellent palette cleanser for the shit storm to come. I've (and I'm sure some others) have considered ending their series here because we all feel that what you are describing the show as, while certainly isn't what it currently is, is eventually what it will become. That makes me sad :(

For me I considered it because I don't know if i want to see the shitstorm. I don't want to see Setsuna's heart ripped apart. Same thing happened with Little Busters. The end of part one was a nice spot where I should have stopped. Of course in that case I'm just bored to tears rather than emotionally scarred. Though I guess, thinking back to Clannad, that thats a good thing in some respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom