• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

thats my problem with it atm, I never watched/enjoyed for just the action.
heck my favorite Gundam series had the least action of all (0080)
I might try one more episode.

Give it enough time and you get to see some glorious Apsalus fighting.

EDIT: That's 08th MS Team but it's still true.

Gazoinks

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 03

Haha, I complained about the OP being all text last time and they mention it in this OP. Well played, Shaft.

Not as great as the last episode, but still good. Both new characters introduced were fun, and the immigrants being named after car companies was great. I'm curious what this show'll do once it's done introducing everyone.

FUSION DANCE GO. The pop culture references in this one were nonstop. Or maybe I just recognized more of them.

Mature

Gundam Build Fighters 8
Jeez, this was jam packed full of hype.
Greco seems pretty cool, it's too bad that he lost. Kinda want someone to destroy Nils =/

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters 8
Jeez, this was jam packed full of hype.
Greco seems pretty cool, it's too bad that he lost. Kinda want someone to destroy Nils =/

I really like the higher level of play they've been exploring lately. Reiji beating up on the locals was fun but you've got this really nice thinggoing where he keeps getting stonewalled by the world class competition. He'd have lost to Yuuki if he'd stayed in the tournament, just draws with Fellini nonstop, and couldn't do shit against Apsalus which required another world class fighter to beat. Just neat to have this great sense of him not being able to roll over everyone.

Hirugashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 01

Episode was pretty boring to be honest however its expected as it was mainly an exposition episode of sorts. New artstyle and better animation is a nice improvement! Of course Rena is best character and having an
older version of herself is awesome.

jgminto

I like the GBF story, it's a nice kid's show story based around a product. I haven't watched a good one of those in quite a while. Probably since YuGiOh.

Hirugashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 02

Fun fluff episode, however during the end I was glad to see previous pseudo-character development be present here derived from the first season. I term it 'psuedo' as of course said development occurs through repeating time loops.

Speaking of time loops looks like the beginning of this first arc
is its own resetted time loop and Rika appears to have memories from all these recurring time loops,
kind of like Okabe, or HYOUNIN KYOUMA.
I suspect this might have to do with her prophesizing ability shown in the first season. Another thing is that horned girl that appears in both the OP and ED, wonder what role she will play and predicting it will be big. Perhaps some demon character?

The fluff of this episode of course will only come back and hurt once shit goes down again.

Articalys

Seems like next week's issue of WSJ is revealing that the Assassination Classroom special anime episode to be shown at the Jump Super Anime Tour has Brains Base in charge of animation production.

Blue Exorcist

This was an enjoyably mediocre shonen until the last 4 episodes, where the rushed and out of place anime original ending kind of soured me on it. Now to see whether or not the film is worth all the praise people have given it.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 03

Haha, I complained about the OP being all text last time and they mention it in this OP. Well played, Shaft.

Not as great as the last episode, but still good. Both new characters introduced were fun, and the immigrants being named after car companies was great. I'm curious what this show'll do once it's done introducing everyone.

FUSION DANCE GO. The pop culture references in this one were nonstop. Or maybe I just recognized more of them.

FYI they stop introducing people for a bit, but then they introduce a couple more throughout the show, though the main group of girls stays the same.

Also don't know if you read when I was watching, but season 2 gets REALLY abstract with its humor. Like Shaft on acid. And Shaft is already the guy tripping balls between the anime studios.

Then the next season is back to norm following manga. Don't forget to watch OVA seasons in between each season.

Don't know if you've noticed yet since you haven't seen Shirokuma Cafe in a while, but Zetsubou Sensei is Penguin-san

cajunator

Banned
Rewatched 9.5 episodes of Binbougami Ga. This time the dub. I think its way funnier dubbed and is still one of the most entertaining and self aware animes to come out in a while.

Hirugashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 03

Another mainly fluff episode. While I do enjoy them for the comedic aspects I feel that this is getting too much for an arc. Back in the previous season fluff episodes usually lasted 1 - 1 1/2 episodes before having shit hit the fan.

Not only that the whole Rika perspective of hinting how she
remembers time loops
stated in her internal monologue feels a bit too revealing of the big picture where back in the first season I was still trying to figure it out. Yeah I know Kai is the season where all the answers are explained, I guess I just miss being left in the dark for so long. As for Rika herself...
horned/demon girl is low-voice Rika that is in/possessing Rika resulting in internal monologues that seem like split personalities. Calling it now.

Hopefully when shit hits the fan it will be as prolonged/extended as these fluff episodes are.

Don't know if you've noticed yet since you haven't seen Shirokuma Cafe in a while, but Zetsubou Sensei is Penguin-san

I love that that's where you remember him from. I just hear Ararararagi even though that wasn't the first show I heard him in. He's also Kou from Arakawa. SHAFT seems fond of him.

He's also Shinji from F/SN but let's forget that

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Why do the Japanese lie?

So I make it a point to never trust pronunciations of none-Japanese words in an anime. Words to live by but every now and then I come across an anime that seemingly establishes credibility with the correct pronunciation of words I know. This was the case with Detective Conan. Hey I know Whiskey and they said it right... awesome! Bourbon sounds correct... cool! Flash forward to today, I'm going over the list of thanksgiving dinner dishes and someone was raving about a pot roast that was Da Bomb! The dish called for Vermouth (hey I know that... fantastic!) so of to the supermarket I go to find this Vermouth. I go to the vinegar and cooking wine section... bust :( I'm not to proud to ask for help so I go up to the clerk and make an ape of myself by asking where I can find the vermouth the only way I've ever heard it pronounced: Ver-moth (FUCK YOU CONAN!). clerk looked at me with puzzled look as I repeat it a few more times (you know, that thing we do when we are ignorantly sure of ourselves) before he said: Do you mean Ver-Mooth?

First of all: Fuck English because if it wasn't for your weird misappropriation of words form other languages and inconsistences, this wouldn't have been possible so a hardy fuck you! No seriously... no one says open your mooth. Humans speaking English say mouth! so what's happening with in this word "Vermouth?"

Secondly, Fuck Conan! I trusted you and this is what you do to me? I looked like a fool because of you. NEVER AGAIN.

Finally, I'm going to do some research later and I'm going to find the country of origin for the word Vermouth so I can give it a present; the clarity that comes with spiteful profanity.

:( I looked so dumb to that clerk ;_;

Sorry for my strong language. Stop lying to me Japan. You train me to never question 2D wisdom but it's always lacking in 3D :(

Another mainly fluff episode. While I do enjoy them for the comedic aspects I feel that this is getting too much for an arc. Back in the previous season fluff episodes usually lasted 1 - 1 1/2 episodes before having shit hit the fan.

Not only that the whole Rika perspective of hinting how she
remembers time loops
stated in her internal monologue feels a bit too revealing of the big picture where back in the first season I was still trying to figure it out. Yeah I know Kai is the season where all the answers are explained, I guess I just miss being left in the dark for so long. As for Rika herself...
horned/demon girl is low-voice Rika that is in/possessing Rika resulting in internal monologues that seem like split personalities. Calling it now.

Hopefully when shit hits the fan it will be as prolonged/extended as these fluff episodes are.
Jack-Nicholson-Thumbs-Up.gif

Its nice to finally see someone watching this on here.

Higurashi is my all time favorite anime series.
was just saying last night I needed to do a rewatch, its been about 3 years since my last.

cnet128

Banned
Touka is definitely all over Akina though. But we all know he's going to end up with pwwwotagonist.

Well that would just make Touka even more Kannaesque than she already is.

Bakemonogatari 8

WHAT I LEARNED FROM ANIME: BIKESHORTS = LESBIANS.

Also Araragi has God Mode enabled because a self-professed Lesbian was DEFINITELY throwing herself at him. And I mean like, f'reels. This is gonna end in a perfect harem ending for him.

Araragi is the greatest harem protagonist of all time. He chooses his girl within the first five episodes (admittedly she's not even close to best girl, but props for actually making a choice) but the harem refuses to ever let him go. And he gets away with it despite the fact that the girl he chose is borderline yandere. Araragi for ultibro.

Also I'm pretty sure Kanbaru is bisexual (though she definitely prefers girls). She seems to identify more as a "pervert" in general than just as a lesbian. After all, she's also very into reading BL.

Hirugashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - 02

Fun fluff episode, however during the end I was glad to see previous pseudo-character development be present here derived from the first season. I term it 'psuedo' as of course said development occurs through repeating time loops.

A word of warning - this first arc of Kai is probably the most underwhelming in the anime because it's a quasi-filler arc of sorts. There was never such an arc in the original VNs, so it's being used as more of a sort of recap to ease people into the new series, and to fill in a number of little things that were left out of the earlier arcs' adaptations.

This arc is just four episodes, though, and then it's classy stuff all the way for the final two arcs. The next arc is one of my favourite in the whole series (though I may be biased because I love Satoko so much).

...also it's Higurashi not Hirugashi =p

So a Lupin III live action movie?

I don't know how to say this, but the Japanese film industry outside of anime is not something I have a high regard for. Specifically live action anime adaptations. I don't see many historical samurai pieces which I'm sure they'd be good at, so as of right now I've seen nothing but bad stuff.Besides Battle Royale.

The Koreans on the other hand make amazing films.

NORTH KOREANS THAT IS, HAIL KIM JONG

There's a few in there we haven't heard. I know we haven't heard 7.

Indeed.

Although at the same time, it's like another reiteration of "Kill La Kill's OST isn't good".

And quite frankly, from TTGL, you could pick for example.... Sorairo Days, Thrust Through the Heavens with Your Spirit, or With Your XXX...., and they could solo this whole soundtrack.

Really is the biggest downer for KLK.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, what to watch first today, Wolf Children movie or start Strike Witches?
Wouldn't it make sense to start with the movie since once it's over it's over. Then you can then focus of watching the complete series of Witches on Strike.

Jarmel

Banned
Indeed.

Although at the same time, it's like another reiteration of "Kill La Kill's OST isn't good".

And quite frankly, from TTGL, you could pick for example.... Sorairo Days, Thrust Through the Heavens with Your Spirit, or With Your XXX...., and they could solo this whole soundtrack.

Really is the biggest downer for KLK.
tumblr_mh8st5MCVY1rcny7ko1_250.gif

You take what you can get. KLK soundtrack doesn't have shit on TTGL but we knew that would be the case once Sawano was announced.

Sirius is such a shit opener when compared to Sorairo Days.

tumblr_mh8st5MCVY1rcny7ko1_250.gif

You take what you can get. KLK soundtrack doesn't have shit on TTGL but we knew that would be the case once Sawano was announced.

Sirius is such a shit opener when compared to Sorairo Days.

I think I would've been better off not having comparisons from people who really knew their staff. But it's bound to happen considering the staff behind both series. I think this is a case where knowing more hasn't helped me, and being linked to TTGL's ost last week just drove the point home.

I'm also fearing that "Don't Lose Your Way" isn't as good as some of us believe, although I think it's more in context of how it was used in KLK's PV and how it's used within the show as well.

Oh well, I guess the shit opener at least justifies my watch OP once and never again approach.

Jarmel

Banned
I think I would've been better off not having comparisons from people who really knew their staff. But it's bound to happen considering the staff behind both series. I think this is a case where knowing more hasn't helped me, and being linked to TTGL's ost last week just drove the point home.

I'm also fearing that "Don't Lose Your Way" isn't as good as some of us believe, although I think it's more in context of how it was used in KLK's PV and how it's used within the show as well.

Oh well, I guess the shit opener at least justifies my watch OP once and never again approach.

So is the official name for "Don't Lose Your Way", "Before My Body is Dry"? I'm also not expecting it to live up to the hype as what we've heard is not even a minute of the song.

Speaking of Sorairo Days, I found this version, and it's different from the other ones. Anyone know where this is from? Is this like a TV only version that never got put on an OST?

So is the official name for "Don't Lose Your Way", "Before My Body is Dry"? I'm also not expecting it to live up to the hype as what we've heard is not even a minute of the song.

Speaking of Sorairo Days, I found this version, and it's different from the other ones. Anyone know where this is from? Is this like a TV only version that never got put on an OST?

It's something, I don't know yet. It's just.... right after the lyrics, the music just drones on, as if it was expecting something else to fill in the space or something. Again, I refer to the preview, and probably any episode that has it playing out extensively (not 8 because it cuts off due to time constraints, so basically, the first three episodes).

Jarmel

Banned
It's something, I don't know yet. It's just.... right after the lyrics, the music just drones on, as if it was expecting something else to fill in the space or something. Again, I refer to the preview, and probably any episode that has it playing out extensively (not 8 because it cuts off due to time constraints, so basically, the first three episodes).

I'm wondering if it's like some of the Shingeki stuff in that the 2nd part of the song is radically different from the stuff we've heard.

I'm wondering if it's like some of the Shingeki stuff in that the 2nd part of the song is radically different from the stuff we've heard.

I'm probably going to bank on that as a last resort, but it kinda makes sense based on what we're given so far.

Which kind of reminds me of when there are soundtracks that compile different tracks into one whole track, which bothers me, because it's like... I want this specific part of the track, screw everything else, on top of making it more difficult to locate. But meh.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
With this talk of OST I guess it would be expected of me to chime is and say Kill Me Baby's is the best, but even I wouldn't joke about that. When I talk about it having a budget of a packet of sherbet lemons and a piece of string I'd also say they used those two items as the instruments for the soundtrack.

cajunator

Banned
With this talk of OST I guess it would be expected of me to chime is and say Kill Me Baby's is the best, but even I wouldn't joke about that. When I talk about it having a budget of a packet of sherbet lemons and a piece of string I'd also say they used those two items as the instruments for the soundtrack.

Simpler is better

duckroll

I read this interview with Alan Moore today, and it's pretty interesting how his criticism also applies strongly to anime and manga: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/nov/22/alan-moore-comic-books-interview

I hate superheroes. I think they're abominations. They don't mean what they used to mean. They were originally in the hands of writers who would actively expand the imagination of their nine- to 13-year-old audience. That was completely what they were meant to do and they were doing it excellently. These days, superhero comics think the audience is certainly not nine to 13, it's nothing to do with them. It's an audience largely of 30-, 40-, 50-, 60-year old men, usually men. Someone came up with the term graphic novel. These readers latched on to it; they were simply interested in a way that could validate their continued love of Green Lantern or Spider-Man without appearing in some way emotionally subnormal. This is a significant rump of the superhero-addicted, mainstream-addicted audience. I don't think the superhero stands for anything good. I think it's a rather alarming sign if we've got audiences of adults going to see the Avengers movie and delighting in concepts and characters meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of the 1950s.

Now, first off, we know that Alan Moore is a super hipster and an inane ass. The fact that he looks down on his own audience is kinda laughable, and he loves shitting on anything popular because he's well... a hipster (epic beard though). But having said that, there's a really interesting psychology here being discussed, which I think should not be waved away with "Lol Alan Moore".

It might not be a serious social problem that there are generations of manchildren now who continue to enjoy the childish things originally targeted at young children. But I think there is an interesting effect on industries in general when that happens because the demographic changes, and with that the expectation of content as well, but the core appeal of the product does not change.

In American comics this has led to more anti-heroes, dark heroes, and basically twisted versions of innocent characters created for kids now encountering and dealing with more violent and sexual storylines. For anime and manga though, what we're definitely seeing is that with more older audiences spending money in an industry originally intended for children, there is content which is more sexual and/or dark/violent, but they happen to characters and settings which are still relatable to kids - highschoolers, etc.

It's really pretty weird when you think about it, and certainly abnormal. I guess Moore has a point after all!

Vito

Banned
I kinda hate digipacks, but damn it, Perfect Blue. Hey Sinthetic, if you got a bluray drive could you post bdinfo for the disc?

Edit: oh, more Nisekoi anime designs, I'll post a better scan later since I guess it'll pop up on weibo, watermarked but what the hell.

cajunator

Banned
I kinda hate digipacks, but damn it, Perfect Blue. Hey Sinthetic, if you got a bluray drive could you post bdinfo for the disc?

Edit: oh, more Nisekoi anime designs, I'll post a better scan later since I guess it'll pop up on weibo, watermarked but what the hell.

flowerhair best girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom