• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
dude, Alexander has some super 90s fantasy villain giant shoulder spikes. Anyone even remotely "excited" for Nobunaga the Fool seriously needs watch Kiss Dum right now.

Someone need to fulfill that damsel in distress role

The one thats stuck to the sword in that one art.
-

2nd best. Kaji, Yuki even!
intro_bg_4.jpg

Narag

How is the Baoh: The Visitor anime? I know Araki hasn't outcasted it to the pits of never-ending despair like the original Phantom Blood film, but is it good?

I'd love it if the Baoh series got the same treatment as the JoJo films.

It's got one of the funniest English dubs imaginable. Also it's pretty bad beyond that.

fertygo

They look like Fate/Apocrypha rejects.
LOL

And that Jeanne man haha, pretty much Saber with more revealing armor.
How is the Baoh: The Visitor anime? I know Araki hasn't outcasted it to the pits of never-ending despair like the original Phantom Blood film, but is it good?

I'd love it if the Baoh series got the same treatment as the JoJo films.

Its 80's standard flick, full of sakuga violence and gore.

Westlo

Kawamori hype rising

As it should be, he's no longer being held back by dead weight, like Yoshino (Frontier) and Okada (EVOL and AKB), Kawamori da gawd is doing series composition for this himself.

Damn those character look like poor imitation of Fate/ design lol

The :chet makes Jeanne > Saber.

dude, Alexander has some super 90s fantasy villain giant shoulder spikes. Anyone even remotely "excited" for Nobunaga the Fool seriously needs watch Kiss Dum right now.

Wasn't Kiss Dum a clusterfuck of epic proportions production wise? How'd the show turn out?

Theonik

Shoulder pads/spikes are relevant to my interests, should I be watching this?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Wasn't Kiss Dum a clusterfuck of epic proportions production wise? How'd the show turn out?

Oh, it was a total disaster in every conceivable way, but an unintentionally hilarious one to watch. I'm just telling everyone to keep their expectations in check (or to check it out for entertainment if these character designs are already making them laugh.) Kiss Dum and Nobunaga the Fool share their director, were both Satelight shows, and were both sweeping sci-fi epics so I already sort of have a feeling for what we're in for :lol

Bombless

So, your comments have convinced me to check Valrave out. As this is the second season, it's recommended to start with the first, yes?

Jex

[Ghost in the Shell Arise] - 2

Better than Psycho Pass, but that's about it. I hope you folks like convoluted hacking plots and silly action sequences because that's all you're gonna get here.

I must say, as prequel material, Arise doesn't really exert any effort in explaining how or why the major gets her Section 9 team formed. She just happens to see people during a mission who she then bullies into joining her team, without any attempt to form any kind of connection between them. It just seems like it's inevitable that they'll be in her team because we know that's how it ends up. It doesn't feel organic at all.

Serious

As it should be, he's no longer being held back by dead weight, like Yoshino (Frontier) and Okada (EVOL and AKB), Kawamori da gawd is doing series composition for this himself.

EVOL's second half was horrible, but I have no real complaints with AKB. Great show.

One has to wonder how EVOL would have went had AKB aired a season or two later.

Branduil

[Ghost in the Shell Arise] - 2

Better than Psycho Pass, but that's about it. I hope you folks like convoluted hacking plots and silly action sequences because that's all you're gonna get here.

I must say, as prequel material, Arise doesn't really exert any effort in explaining how or why the major gets her Section 9 team formed. She just happens to see people during a mission who she then bullies into joining her team, without any attempt to form any kind of connection between them. It just seems like it's inevitable that they'll be in her team because we know that's how it ends up. It doesn't feel organic at all.

So it's pretty much like this?

Westlo

Oh, it was a total disaster in every conceivable way, but an unintentionally hilarious one to watch. I'm just telling everyone to keep their expectations in check (or to check it out for entertainment if these character designs are already making them laugh.) Kiss Dum and Nobunaga the Fool share their director, were both Satelight shows, and were both sweeping sci-fi epics so I already sort of have a feeling for what we're in for :lol

IIRC Eiichi Sato was kinda shoved in the directors chair @ the last moment, like a month before it aired or something lol. Yasuchika Nagaoka was suppose to direct but ran away or something lol.

ducky might remember, I'm pretty sure he was in that asuki thread for it back in 07.

Meganebu! Episode 10

First have was funny largely because of the game and the common situations Ive experienced but then the various movie references, even the ending of the game. Definitely one of the animes best moments. 2nd half was good teacher bonding to please that pairing.

The character themselves are selling us ( the viewer ) something , but you're having doubts as if you're in front of unreliable narators ? Ok That's a nice way to enjoy anime.
I 200% agree with you.

Can't help it, just having coming out of watch Higurashi+Kai...

I can't even trust myself!!!!

Monogatari: Second Season 15
arc is killing me just ugh...
looking at the clock and getting temptations to skip every five minutes the entire way through.

Thought so .. at least you're in the right mindset to enjoy "umineko no naku koro ni."

You're going to watch it , right ? ( or at least play it ? )

as someone whose favorite anime of all time is Higurashi,
don't do it(playing it is fine though)!

CorvoSol

Corvo-kun wants to know why it feels so good.

Well it's a legitimate question, I think.

There is no negotiating with the mountain.

So I have realized.

Hey Corvo...

What happened to Arjuna ep 6? Looking through your posts between the one for ep 5 and ep 7 and it simply isn't there.

Ep 6 has one of the best scenes!

I'm wondering this myself, since I feel certain I watched episode 6. Isn't episode 6 the one with the burgers?

Oh, apparently I missed episode 6. This episode guide makes it seem that way. Well, I guess since there's no real continuity between episodes, I should go back and watch that.

Syrinx

Date a Live OVA 1

Shido trying to make Origami hate him was the most hilarious thing. Because no matter what ridiculous thing he made her do or what he said, he just couldn't do it. And Origami was actually about to piss on the floor. And Tohka was good in this episode too.

But no Kurumi so it wasn't all that great.

Thought so .. at least you're in the right mindset to enjoy "umineko no naku koro ni."

You're going to watch it , right ? ( or at least play it ? )

Monogatari: Second Season 15
arc is killing me just ugh...
looking at the clock and getting temptations to skip every five minutes the entire way through.

I have the VN on my laptop atm, will get around to it eventually. And no I'm not gonna watch the anime.

Ah HA ah

He can't even trust himself , do you think he is going to trust you ?
i don't even know if he trust me enough !

-------------------------
Phi brain - Kami no Puzzle S3 - 10

I want to say "match made in heaven" but really when you're stubborn the hardest is to see yourself in the mirror.

The story worked in this episode , the end was precitable but overall the story flawing prefectly ... kaito questionning everything left and right was amusing ( is this a puzzle ? is this a hint ? )

As for the puzzle itself i'm mostly disapointed , the solution was deus-ex machina like and even if it's not a first time , they usually bother to give a explanation to cover their bases. here i guess it worked because "willpower" ..i wish i could accept it as face value.

The puzzle next week seems very intresting , so is the new hawachimizuru-kun we might have a great showcase for hana & cubic ...can't wait.

I think the character designs for the western world characters are FUCKING HILARIOUS.

Jeanne Kaguya d'Arc:

Leonardo da Vinci:

Gaius Julius Caesar (Member of the Round Table):

Alexander (Member of the Round Table):

Magellan (Member of the Round Table):

Alexander trying to win that award for the stupidest armor of the year.

BluWacky

Hey Corvo...

What happened to Arjuna ep 6? Looking through your posts between the one for ep 5 and ep 7 and it simply isn't there.

Ep 6 has one of the best scenes!

Arjuna 6 is the
because it's easier
episode, right?

Given that I genuinely like Arjuna, while much of that scene is ridiculously heavyhanded, I think the episode has two moments I particularly enjoy:

i) Juna's hallucination - while it's a bit dated now, back in 2001 I found the show's CG fairly impressive, and I always enjoyed the nightmarish quality of those sequences in the show.

ii) Tokio's role in the episode as the voice of the audience - maybe we are supposed to think that Juna's preaching is the way forward, but he frequently represents the voice of blunt sanity. Yes, Kawamori was a particularly crackpot cultist at this point in time, but it's not like the show fails to point out the majority view, or punctures its own pomposity at times. We go on about the "learning nothing from the mountain" sequence in episode 4, but in the same episode the old man's hypocrisy is neatly highlighted in the scene where he and Tokio smoke a cigarette together.

I don't mind the ragging on the show because it's dumb and preachy, and I do think it belongs on The List because of its storyline. I am often amazed at how vitriolic people get about it, though. I mean, it's weird, but is it frothing-at-the-mouth-in-disbelief weird? I reserve that for complete disasters of production and incoherence; episode 9 is just a bit odd.

Raide

Did a marathon of Log Horizon to catch up. Kinda like it. Way more guild stuff than actual MMO stuff, so I am wondering where it is going.

Hajime no Ippo Rising 10

DECK THAT FOO', SON... NEXT WEEK!

Ippo seems... calm for his current emotions, but eh, let it all out over him in the ring!

Bombless

Walkure Romanze 10

Fightooooooooooo! I'm on #TeamBertille , best armour in the series. 'sides, we all know who will win the tournament :
fucking MIO

CorvoSol

Arjuna 6 is the
because it's easier
episode, right?

Given that I genuinely like Arjuna, while much of that scene is ridiculously heavyhanded, I think the episode has two moments I particularly enjoy:

i) Juna's hallucination - while it's a bit dated now, back in 2001 I found the show's CG fairly impressive, and I always enjoyed the nightmarish quality of those sequences in the show.

ii) Tokio's role in the episode as the voice of the audience - maybe we are supposed to think that Juna's preaching is the way forward, but he frequently represents the voice of blunt sanity. Yes, Kawamori was a particularly crackpot cultist at this point in time, but it's not like the show fails to point out the majority view, or punctures its own pomposity at times. We go on about the "learning nothing from the mountain" sequence in episode 4, but in the same episode the old man's hypocrisy is neatly highlighted in the scene where he and Tokio smoke a cigarette together.

I don't mind the ragging on the show because it's dumb and preachy, and I do think it belongs on The List because of its storyline. I am often amazed at how vitriolic people get about it, though. I mean, it's weird, but is it frothing-at-the-mouth-in-disbelief weird? I reserve that for complete disasters of production and incoherence; episode 9 is just a bit odd.

Justifying a character's viciousness as her being able to feel her mother having sex while she is in the womb is more than just a bit odd. It is outright insane.

And while I agree that Tokio does voice the audience's thoughts, he is often presented as wrong for this, and he isn't the protagonist. He's just the love interest, and his views are minimized accordingly.

I treat the show with vitriol because that is how it treats humanity in general and the audience in specific. Also the CG is hideous.

Walkure Romanze 10

PREGNANT HORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_m13luvDrvp1qbw0gqo1_500.gif

Goddamn MC, hurry up and choose Mio so I can bitch about how stupid you are and how best girl got robbed.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 8

Getting Sousuke to pretend to be your boyfriend was a very, very bad idea, girl. He failed a dating sim.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'm familiar enough with environmental issues and the science behind them that I can see what Arjuna is trying to do, but at the same time the way it so incredibly mishandles them leaves it highly open to criticism even when you're sympathetic to be basic thrust of the show. It's really not surprising how it ends up pissing so many people off.

As for episode 9, that's just messed up.

Jarmel

Banned
Chrome Shelled Regios- fin
So randomly decided to pick this up and I burned through it. My expectations weren't exactly high from the getgo but it was actually pretty decent. One thing I actually liked was the character design and animation. There also were some really expressive facial animations spread throughout the show both in stoic moments and comedic ones as well.
One area though that surprised the fuck out of me was the combat animations. Like episode 21 and 24 has some pretty good sakuga cuts in there. The storyboarding for the fights in general were surprisingly decent, in that there was some level of choreography in the fights. I do wish the animation quality in general was a little bit better so that it could hold up to the quality storyboarding, at times, but oh well. The OST isn't notable in any way other than the godawful piece they played early on in the first episode.
I did have some issues pertaining to the story. Mainly because it really feels incomplete in a lot of areas in the anime that I'm sure are more subplots in the manga. Like there is one running subplot throughout the series, it's almost like a mini show within the show, that isn't really explained and it shows up in most of the episodes. It did have some cool noir monster visuals so I liked that but it's kinda detached from the main world although there are some links. There really isn't a strong narrative direction to the show although it's very much serial, in that many of the effects from prior episodes play out. I did find the atmosphere kinda interesting in that it has the potential to go 'dark' at times, and does occasionally, but it was never really explored to my satisfaction . It reminded me of a lighter more shounen version of Blue Gender at times. The show didn't really explain how the world got to that state or even if it's just an alternate world. I'm also not sure if the show did the best job in handling the multiple locations at times as it got a bit unwieldy.
The best part about the show was probably the characters. Fon Fon is like the greatest nickname ever. I did like Layfon though in that he was flawed to an extent and is pictured as this Gary Stu like character. Yes the show is a harem to an extent but it really doesn't shy away from Layfon's darker aspects and how his personality is broken to an extent. Layfon also got shit done although I did somewhat miss his lazy personality, displayed in the first episode. I liked Felli much more than Nina. Felli had more chemistry and was pretty fun to watch and although Nina did have her moments, Felli was the best of the two. Nina was more in her element when she was genki however as the show progresses, that characteristic of hers diminishes. It's kinda sad as I did somewhat like Nina in the beginning. While I did like her in the end, I had kinda gotten tired of her drama and shtick. The show also had a decent amount of side characters and although there was certainly some neglect in the management of those characters, there was some interesting backstory on a few and the show did incorporate a few of them in surprisingly interesting ways.
All in all, it was a decent watch. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody but I somewhat enjoyed it.

Samurai Flamenco - 7
I had my guesses as to why everyone was freaking out about the last half of this episode. I thought I could read between the lines without looking at spoilers and simply piece together what had been happening in 5, 6, and the first half of 7. But I did not expect that to happen.

cnet128

Banned
Golden Time 10

Well, the way they handled the whole Ghost Banri element in this episode felt like a bit of a backpedal from how the last episode ended, but in a good way. It would probably be going a bit too far to have
the two of them existing as two completely separate personalities alternating control of the same body
. The way it's being handled here feels more natural, with
his previous personality starting to come to the fore in brief "episodes" and confusing his existing feelings
. Presumably this is
the start of his memories fully coming back, and at some point the two personalities are going to fully "merge" into one

Of course, in a way this also makes things more awkward, since
with the two personalities not staying separate, it means "new" Banri is going to have to deal with the responsibility of the lingering feelings for Linda he's now starting to experience, instead of being able to blame that entirely on a separate personality that he has no control over.

At any rate, I hope he does manage to keep all that in check, because hnnnngh Banri and Kouko are such a perfect couple <3

Jarmel

Banned
K-On!!-1
So I didn't like the first season at all. I thought it was boring and unnecessarily melodramatic at other times. That said, this seems much stronger as a whole than I remember it. The direction and comedic timing seem much more on point and controlled. For example the way the music is overlayed with other scenes such as the girls coming to school is handled beautifully. Also seem of the visual gags are gorgeous just due to the artshift, Then there are the backgrounds which are just fucking phenomenal.
i3keYItIzV8RF.jpg

The background are so fucking good.

This seems like a much more confident show than its predecessor. I'm still not sure whether this can hold my interest or my disdain for this genre will be too much, but for the premiere, it was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom