• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo: Rising 10

6b46dCG.jpg

Also in this episode: Kumi thinking of Ippo's balls, and Date, Miyata and Sendou having a conversation together. And god damn distracting music. Whoever handled the soundtrack for this season should really keep their hands off such things in the future.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah yes, Pupa is also going to be part of the Winter Season, our wayward Fall starlet will finally shine brightly.

What are people's thoughts on GITS SAC? I've watched the first 6 episode and it's not grabbing me. Is it worth continuing? I did enjoy Oshii's films.

Monogatari: Second Season 10
Wow, took a while but its definitely becoming one of my favorite series.
So good.
dat
confrontation
show needs more like that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What are people's thoughts on GITS SAC? I've watched the first 6 episode and it's not grabbing me. Is it worth continuing? I did enjoy Oshii's films.

Best incarnation of Ghost in the Shell in my estimation, the TV Series formats really allows Ghost in the Shell get its weighty philosophy across without bogging shit down too adversely.

The source material isn't even ready for this yet. Will the anime save us from the slow mangaka?

Hopefully the mangaka already know how it will ends and has shared that info with the animation team..pretty sure that's what happenned for the finale of Saki (first season )

Let's hope at least.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond no Ace Episode 10:

Thinking about it, while this whole Chris arc has been going on for WAY too fucking long, I will credit it for bringing actual down to earth honest and earnest emotion and ditching most of the SHONEN EMOTIONS that are just too exaggerated to take all that seriously. Anyway, progress, while slow and tortuous to watch is being made and we are finally about to move onwards to a new, er, training arc. Yea, this show may be focusing a little too much on the training aspect of things.

DATE A LIVE OAV 1
"I can't stop the loneliness !!"

Lol

The 2 lead of this anime are fighting for their prize and , well they tried their best.

Touka : The usual , not much different but still a nice performance.

Kotori : The subtle hair change for her personality was a nice touch

Origami : Woah that's some dedication.. bonus point for effort , tenacity and lack of shyness. a little more and you would have left the "average" section of my ranking to reach the "good" section she better work hard during those oavs because she won't have time to shine if they do a S2.

Date_a_live_Oav1.jpg

Nice cameo...where is my S2 dammit ?

Berserk sisters : nice cameo

Overall that was an episode with plenty of fanservices and references. Too bad the best girl was missing.

fertygo

Ace of Diamond - 10

Chris are so dreamy.. Love his small talk with Tanba, man these off-field stuff is always the best thing in sport show.

cajunator

Banned
Last week eps does looked very sharp, its a slideshow indeed.. but its does in-line to what people like with their best effort.

This week not so much though.

Tsukuyomi Moonphase had an episode with a fight scene that was literally a slideshow. It was a series of still frames with sound effects. Amazing to see.

Here are the ones I'm probably watching at least an episode of. Not sure if it'll help you, but maybe!

Nobunagun - I don't have much faith in the studio, but they could surprise me. The manga it's based on is totally crazy and if there's good action it'll be tons of fun.

Witchcraft Works - Dunno anything about it, but at this point I'm willing to watch anything Mizushima (Blood-C TV, Girls und Panzer) directs just to give it a chance.

Space Dandy - A dandy in the space.

Noragami - BONES love compels me to give this a shot even though the manga seems awful. Might have good action too.

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Some supernatural comedy thing with Japanese mythology themes from the director of My Little Monster. Might be interesting.

World Conquest - I wanna see how much worse A-1's productions can get. Plus, Okamura is a cool director. I just hope it's not too awful with the fanservice. :(

Wizard Barristers - Insane action, insane effects, insane premise. Everything Umetsu failed to deliver with Galidonna might in fact be in this show!

Nobunaga the Fool - In Kawamori we trust.

Silver Spoon S2 - It's Silver Spoon.

A decent guide actually. I cant wait to see what Umetsu and Kawamori come up with in particular.

DATE A LIVE OAV 1

Lol

The 2 lead of this anime are fighting for their prize and , well they tried their best.

Kotori : The subtle hair change for her personality was a nice touch

Origami : Woah that's some dedication.. bonus point for effort , tenacity and lack of shyness. a little more and you would have left the "average" section of my ranking to reach the "good" section she better work hard during those oavs because she won't have time to shine if they do a S2.

Berserk sisters : nice cameo

Overall that was an episode with plenty of fanservices and references. Too bad the best girl was missing.

Yamai girls are extremely cute. They seem to be wearing far more clothing than I expected though.

Kidou Senshi Hon no Tabibito Episode 10-11

"Space: The final frontier
These are two of the episodes of the anime, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito.
Its 10 year mission
To be a terrible anime
To confuse new life and new civilisations
To boldly go where no anime has gone before.

Roll the titles!

These two episodes took place mostly on the Not-White Base as it tries to find a new plant to colonise because the studio found some sketchbook drawings of the White Base at a dumpster outside Sunrise's offices and it seemed to be a good idea to do a space episode. It's not like we've been everywhere else in the universe since this stupid show started so why not go into space too.

Not-White Base has an AI called Lala (Not-Lalah Sune) that guides the many kids on board to their destination. Her screen is basically the inside of the kalaedoscope that someone bought a car boot sale, somehow it looks worse than the scene where
Lalah Sune dies
in Mobile Suit Gundam. Lala was basically an excuse to show off their special rainbow filter that they've been meaning to use for a long time.

Lulau is this girl who got sucked into the fabric of space when she was 16 and is regarded as this mythical being that everyone looks up to especially this other girl called Leila (Not-Princess Leia) who is our main focus in these. She doesn't do very much (par for the course in this anime) but she does fall in love with this guy called Hamuro (not-Amuro Ray).

They find the new planet and I yawned and looked at the time remaining in the episode. It wasn't finished yet. 10 minutes to go...

That part was to do with another part in Episode 10 where Gargantua visited a floating house in space. His minions suffered recycled animation but at least we could now tell that they were green instead of whatever colour the filters made them out to be previously. Many antics were had but then our favourite trio landed in some bedsheets and the writers just had to make Lilith try again on Hazuki because it's a funny joke! Ugh.

Later for the first time Gargantua and Hazuki meet up. Lilith cries like a baby as her hat gets stolen from her and Hatsumi shows up! It's going to be rollercoater ride of a conclusion that will be the best ending to any anime in existence, so you can tell how excited I am for this right?

Yamai girls are extremely cute. They seem to be wearing far more clothing than I expected though.
That's because they have those "cape" thing in this scene , but they have them only in rare occasions , they don't have them when they fight ( and they fight all the time that's their problem ) ..Don't worry they will have less clothes ...later

below that they only have their gear and it's not covering that much.

cajunator

Banned
That's because they have those "cape" thing in this scene , but they have them only in rare occasions , they don't have them when they fight ( and they fight all the time that's their problem ) ..Don't worry they will have less clothes ...later

below that they only have their gear and it's not covering that much.

Ill take your word for it XD

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hey Corvo...

What happened to Arjuna ep 6? Looking through your posts between the one for ep 5 and ep 7 and it simply isn't there.

Ep 6 has one of the best scenes!

sonicmj1

Kaguyahime no Monogatari

This was really fantastic.

Personally, I don't have much experience with Takahata's stuff. The only movie I've seen by him is Grave of the Fireflies, which was effective, if also a little manipulative. So I don't have a lot of points of reference to compare this with.

It's kind of interesting to have this arrive in the same year as Kazetachinu. Both of them are ambitious tales spanning the scope of a person's life, and both have things to say about what a life is and how it should be lived. And both thesis statements reflect (what I understand of) their creators. Jiro is a driven, obsessive man in the mold of Miyazaki. He dedicates his life to his work and his dreams, which are the same thing. Those are the places where he finds fulfillment.

Kaguyahime, supernatural creature that she is, is as brilliant as Jiro, but her life couldn't be more different. She wants to live freely and experience the wonders of the world and the joy of companionship with her treasured family and friends. The conflicts between what Kaguyahime wants herself to be, what she is, and what others want her to be move the movie forward.

The movie captures the vibrant emotional extremes of life while remaining largely realistic in tone. The art direction delights at every turn, the simple lines and faded white negative space conjure the feeling of old Japanese paintings to represent this ancient fairy tale. But the world never feels flat or lifeless. Kaguyahime doesn't exhaustively detail every corner of the world, but enormous amounts of attention are poured into all kinds of animations and touches that bring out the humanity in the cast, and give vibrant energy to the world itself. The environments never overwhelm, but they always feel remarkably true.

Kaguyahime carries a tempest of extreme emotions, capable of quickly going from childlike delight to stone faced depression or tear-filled lamentation. But she never feels any less than a human girl. Her affected displays of perfect noble bearing never overwhelm our memories of the child overwhelmed with the sheer joy of being alive, and that energy and intensity makes the inevitable conclusion all the more affecting.

I may not be the best sample, since I usually don't seek out works that might draw tears, but Kaguyahime no Monogatari had me sobbing during the credits, which I don't think has happened to me with any movie since I was 10. It's not exactly subtle, but you'd have to be pretty fucking heartless for it not to reach you.

I don't think it has Wolf Children's cinematic efficiency, and one could argue that it drags a bit in the middle, but it's still a masterpiece. It's a celebration of the joys and hardships of life. Absolutely, unconditionally recommended.

PS: Kaguyahime's handmaid servant girl is adorable beyond words. Would consider making her my avatar if I had a good image to draw from.

Andrew J.

Here are the ones I'm probably watching at least an episode of. Not sure if it'll help you, but maybe!

Nobunagun - I don't have much faith in the studio, but they could surprise me. The manga it's based on is totally crazy and if there's good action it'll be tons of fun.

Witchcraft Works - Dunno anything about it, but at this point I'm willing to watch anything Mizushima (Blood-C TV, Girls und Panzer) directs just to give it a chance.

Space Dandy - A dandy in the space.

Noragami - BONES love compels me to give this a shot even though the manga seems awful. Might have good action too.

Hozuki no Reitetsu - Some supernatural comedy thing with Japanese mythology themes from the director of My Little Monster. Might be interesting.

World Conquest - I wanna see how much worse A-1's productions can get. Plus, Okamura is a cool director. I just hope it's not too awful with the fanservice. :(

Wizard Barristers - Insane action, insane effects, insane premise. Everything Umetsu failed to deliver with Galidonna might in fact be in this show!

Nobunaga the Fool - In Kawamori we trust.

Silver Spoon S2 - It's Silver Spoon.

We doing Winter 2014 watchlists now? All right.

Bushiroaid - Some sort of mecha action thing, and it's only a special.

Chuunibyou S2 - I enjoyed the cute antics of the first one. Hope romantic drama doesn't drag this one down.

Nobunage the Fool - The summary is too stupid for me to not check it out, even it weren't directed by Kawamori. Embrace the madness.

Sakura Trick - :sdburton

Silver Spoon S2 - This show is terrible for my diet because watcing it makes me hungry.

Space Dandy - Anime is saved, again! I reflexively watch everything new that airs on Toonami anyway.

Witch Craft Works - Dumb harem bullshit in a supernatural setting, but the surprising decentness of High School DxD might be making me more optimistic than is really warranted.

Wizard Barrister - Magic lawyers and sakuga? I'm on board.

World Conquest - Those character designs are nuts.

Quasar

DATE A LIVE OAV 1

Lol

What was with her voice? Did she get recast?

Owwari

Banned
And here I thought KyoAni would stop with the one-dimensional romantic pairing shows but Chuunibyou S2 is a thing and I'm not happy about it.
It's enough with Kyoukai no Kanata completely ignoring the first girl introduced in the show for the last 7 episodes.

@Quasar
That is definitely Touka's voice.

Is the Round Table just an assortment of random western historical figures? Though the idea of Caesar, Alexander, and Magellan being compatriots in a Kawamori show sounds pretty amazing.

Monogatari second season - 23
DAT Opening , glorious , viva Shaft ect ect .

i remember last week when cnet was wondering what the hell was in that closet ... and now it'll be you guys turn to wonder untill kaiki dares to tell you.
( can't wait )

So now this episode , glorious kaiki story telling as usual ..it's really hard to wonder what's true and what's false in all this mess.

And then all the actors are now in place
including gaen. Will kaiki really manage to outrun gaen know-it-all attitude ? was that gaen aim to manipulate kaiki and subtly gave him money ( since he didn't have any ) ? How will our main character react to the next step ?
do i want next episode already ?

Shaft you're doing an awesome job !

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
You know, I'm kind of shocked that, "We fit human memories into 36 bytes by compressing them with a black hole," didn't set off huge bullshit detectors in my mind while I was watching Steins;Gate, but I guess I didn't really care how the mad science machine worked.

They're sending a pointer to the memories, not the memories themselves. That's what i told myself, anyway.

Silky

Banned
How is the Baoh: The Visitor anime? I know Araki hasn't outcasted it to the pits of never-ending despair like the original Phantom Blood film, but is it good?

I'd love it if the Baoh series got the same treatment as the JoJo films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom