• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CorvoSol: Don't forget. It wasn't just
petrol eating bacteria
but
petrol eating cancer bacteria!

As for all your impressions:

ITADAKIMASU

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
visual8z6ubn.jpg

uka hnngh

Who is this?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
He hates humanity so much
he actually destroyed Japan.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHA

I have to hand it to you, you have balls of steel to make it through this shit-fest with some semblance of a sense of humor.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Y-wait, no, that's just my nose.

Bakemonogatari 14

I KNEW IT.
Hanekawa wants Araragi. Not that that was hard to guess. At ALL.
Also I'm afraid I'm now firmly in camp Cat Hanekawa. For clarification, I think Araragi should stay with Senjougahara, but I think Hanekawa is Best Girl. Dem Jammies, folks. Dem Jammies.

You will finally get your conclusion on that love triangle in monogatari second season, cant wait for your impressions.

cnet128

Banned
Unrelated: Calling all Pretty Cure gurus. I have a friend who would like to start watching it, but I know a lot of you are peculiar about the specific series and what to watch and not watch. So, that being said, where should one begin and end?

Stay pure. Start at the beginning and attempt to survive. We who have lived through Max Heart bear a mark of pride upon our souls. (And one day, I'll finish the rest of the series too.)

Seriously, though, I do advocate starting the series at the beginning. Futari Wa feels like a natural starting point, being where the whole thing, you know, started, and IMO it's also pretty damn enjoyable. It also has easily the most classic/iconic opening theme out of all the series, so that's something. Then Max Heart is a direct sequel to that, so it should be watched immediately afterwards if you're going to watch it at all (though admittedly that's a fairly big "if", since it's by all accounts the worst series of the lot). It does at least keep the same godly opening theme (well, slightly remixed, but I think the Max Heart version is actually the more popular of the two). And then Splash Star is medicine for your soul that will wash away all the bad taste of Max Heart.

Then you get to Yes! Precure 5 and GoGo, which is another almost-100-episodes-of-the-same-characters deal. This is where I started to burn out on the series a little (and I don't think I'm the only one), but I quite enjoy the Yes! characters and I'm told the second series of them is better than the first, so that might help. Personally I'm currently a little way into GoGo and basically stalled, but that's mostly because I'm watching so much current stuff I haven't found the time for it. I still have the will to continue!

Anyway, make it through those and you get to Fresh, which is an entirely unknown quantity to me, but will almost certainly be a welcome change from two years' worth of Nozomi and friends. And only those who have made it through all of the above have earned the right to watch Heartcatch, which seems to be almost universally praised around these parts as the Best Precure Series Ever Made.

Then for completion's sake, there's Suite, which I also know nothing about except that it has a musical theme or something, and that's followed up by Smile, which seems to be the second most loved series around here after Heartcatch, and certainly has the best character designs (though I hear it squanders a lot of its potential by never doing anything very interesting with those characters).

And finally, we have the current series, DokiDoki, which seems to be largely reviled for such sins as having a disgustingly Mary-Sue-ish heroine (I mean, more than usual) but apparently has some merits despite that. Like, I dunno, yuri potential?

Oh and then there's Happiness Charge which starts next February and nobody knows much about it yet.

Stay pure. Start at the beginning and attempt to survive. We who have lived through Max Heart bear a mark of pride upon our souls. (And one day, I'll finish the rest of the series too.)

Seriously, though, I do advocate starting the series at the beginning. Futari Wa feels like a natural starting point, being where the whole thing, you know, started, and IMO it's also pretty damn enjoyable. It also has easily the most classic/iconic opening theme out of all the series, so that's something. Then Max Heart is a direct sequel to that, so it should be watched immediately afterwards if you're going to watch it at all (though admittedly that's a fairly big "if", since it's by all accounts the worst series of the lot). It does at least keep the same godly opening theme (well, slightly remixed, but I think the Max Heart version is actually the more popular of the two). And then Splash Star is medicine for your soul that will wash away all the bad taste of Max Heart.

Then you get to Yes! Precure 5 and GoGo, which is another almost-100-episodes-of-the-same-characters deal. This is where I started to burn out on the series a little (and I don't think I'm the only one), but I quite enjoy the Yes! characters and I'm told the second series of them is better than the first, so that might help. Personally I'm currently a little way into GoGo and basically stalled, but that's mostly because I'm watching so much current stuff I haven't found the time for it. I still have the will to continue!

Anyway, make it through those and you get to Fresh, which is an entirely unknown quantity to me, but will almost certainly be a welcome change from two years' worth of Nozomi and friends. And only those who have made it through all of the above have earned the right to watch Heartcatch, which seems to be almost universally praised around these parts as the Best Precure Series Ever Made.

Then for completion's sake, there's Suite, which I also know nothing about except that it has a musical theme or something, and that's followed up by Smile, which seems to be the second most loved series around here after Heartcatch, and certainly has the best character designs (though I hear it squanders a lot of its potential by never doing anything very interesting with those characters).

And finally, we have the current series, DokiDoki, which seems to be largely reviled for such sins as having a disgustingly Mary-Sue-ish heroine (I mean, more than usual) but apparently has some merits despite that. Like, I dunno, yuri potential?

Oh and then there's Happiness Charge which starts next February and nobody knows much about it yet.

I highly do not recommend in the slightest, starting Max Heart immediately after Futari Wa. That is Max Heart at its absolute worse, and even with that said, I cannot go "watch it when you've watched a decent amount of other Precure". Skipping to Splash Star is perfectly fine to basically see the Futari wa formula at its best.

Yes! 5 I left in a "Watch if you dare" catagory because apparently people have been having issues with finishing it in general, indicating that it is at least boring. GoGo is better than Yes! 5, but at the same time, it does heavily restrict the romance aspect of the first series, which is either fine or it isn't. Granted, it's still scaling back on character behavior.

And squandered potential with characters can easily be slapped to every Precure series Fresh and onwards.

cnet128

Banned
I highly do not recommend in the slightest, starting Max Heart immediately after Futari Wa. That is Max Heart at its absolute worse, and even with that said, I cannot go "watch it when you've watched a decent amount of other Precure". Skipping to Splash Star is perfectly fine to basically see the Futari wa formula at its best.

But where's the fun in Max Heart if it isn't in following those characters' story through to the end (and spotting all the instances where it revisits ideas from the first series and makes them worse in every way)? =p

Take all that away and the series has got basically nothing going for it outside of Episode 36 and a decent finale!

EDIT: This post used to refer to episode 29 because I can't be bothered to look up episode numbers properly. It has now been corrected to refer to the correct episode that justifies Max Heart's existence. Though anything with Porun is good anyway.

cajunator

Banned
#1 waifu of next season

(she's a goddess who falls in love with the protagonist's big brother, and it's the cutest thing ever)

I like the sound of this and she does look very cute.

Kept the tab open... finally updated the Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashii n da ga. home page:

http://www.imocyo-anime.com/

with a TV CM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskk4nYVkak

And looks like K movie in July? http://k-project.jpn.com/

Intriguing I must say..

But where's the fun in Max Heart if it isn't in following those characters' story through to the end (and spotting all the instances where it revisits ideas from the first series and makes them worse in every way)? =p

Take all that away and the series has got basically nothing going for it outside of Episode 29 and a decent finale!

I made it about 16 episodes into Max Heart and its just so dull it hurts.
It completely made me lose interest in Precure, though maybe Ill try Splash Star and see if that fixes it.

A fair warning for Splash Star.

Splash Star initially starts off really similarly to Futari wa, but it trails off and does its own thing after the first ten episodes. It is also the first series that has an overall interesting villain cast (whether or not it was because the Futari wa villain set was boring outside of one person is a different case).

Aizo

Banned
Sometimes I want to post in this thread, but then I become terrified by its speed and I leave for several weeks.

Aizo

Banned
I suppose I didn't mean this thread in particular; I mean the Anime OTs. I've been mostly lurking on and off for 4-5 OTs. If it's slower now, I may consider posting impressions if I watch something that I think needs more attention.

Aizo

Banned
Just imagine what its like to read every post in them.
I'm familiar with you. You're posts are part of my fear. You have quite the dedication. I want to join you all, but Cthulhu knows that I need to be cutting down on my distractions from my school work, not adding to them. I keep unsubscribing from GAF threads to help.

Hell, I should be doing homework now. Like, really. Shiiiiiiiiii

cajunator

Banned
I'm familiar with you. You're posts are part of my fear. You have quite the dedication. I want to join you all, but Cthulhu knows that I need to be cutting down on my distractions from my school work, not adding to them. I keep unsubscribing from GAF threads to help.

Hell, I should be doing homework now. Like, really. Shiiiiiiiiii

Heehee. It does require quite a Gaf addiction I must admit. I have it logged into my phone, my tablet, my parents PC and my own. Im never away from it. Even check it standing in line at restaurants getting food.

As a proud Pretty cure Guru ( watched all episodes since the first serie , often the day after release ).

You have 4 options:

-The legacy route : meaning start from futari wa and make your way up to now.
This route has plenty of problems because the older serie do have problems( pacing , vilain, horrible animation, Yesprecure ! ) that were fixed later
You're in for a wild ride that will burn the mind of the unprepared.
( recommanded only if you like magical girls show )

-The Safe route : Meaning watch only the seasons that are very good. This means , watching "splash star" , "fresh" , "heartcatch" , "smile".
This is without a doubt the seasons that are most entertaining and balanced.

-The curious route : This is a set that is often recommanded on 4chan and other foroms
It consist by watching the Dx movies ( that will spoil a little ) but then pick afterward the serie from the characters you enjoyed most.
This is a valid way to choose , but that way will keep you from some series that are legit good.( because cross over movies can only do so much )

-The no-time route : This route mean that you will have time for only 1 or 2 seasons.
Then you should watch heartcatch( best vilains/plot+ best fights ) and then splash star ( second best fights + best finale ever ) or smile ( best precure characters )

Aizo

Banned
Heehee. It does require quite a Gaf addiction I must admit. I have it logged into my phone, my tablet, my parents PC and my own. Im never away from it. Even check it standing in line at restaurants getting food.

Ahhh, see, that's the thing. My smart phone doesn't work in this country, so I can only use it on wi-fi. I can only check GAF when I'm at my apartment or a friend's place.

PsionBolt

Unrelated: Calling all Pretty Cure gurus. I have a friend who would like to start watching it, but I know a lot of you are peculiar about the specific series and what to watch and not watch. So, that being said, where should one begin and end?

I can't reccomend chronological order. Very few people are likely to want to eventually cover all 500+ episodes, so starting at the beginning will likely mean burning out before reaching some of the best stuff. Of the first five series, only the third is really great.

I'd say to go from best to worst:
Heartcatch -> Splash Star -> Dokidoki -> Fresh -> Smile -> Futari wa -> GoGo -> Yes 5 -> Suite -> Max Heart.
And of course, watch HaCha as it airs. Precure is best enjoyed live week to week.

Aizo

Banned
Damn the BD set does look awesome. THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT/WANTED the show to look like. Not the mess we actually got

Be patient. It still has many episodes, and I imagine that they know what they're doing...
All that being said, I actually like the turn that the series made. Am I in the minority? I understand that the twist and tone shift were a bit ridiculous, but did people go into this series actually thinking that it wouldn't be a tokusatsu parody series. Or, are people just generally unfamiliar with what tokusatsu series are like? This was exactly what I wanted from the beginning.

Crocodile

Be patient. It still has many episodes, and I imagine that they know what they're doing...
All that being said, I actually like the turn that the series made. Am I in the minority? I understand that the twist and tone shift were a bit ridiculous, but did people go into this series actually thinking that it wouldn't be a tokusatsu parody series. Or, are people just generally unfamiliar with what tokusatsu series are like? This was exactly what I wanted from the beginning.

I was SPECIFICALLY talking about how the show LOOKED (art, animation, etc.) not about the plot. The art used on the BD set closely resembles a lot of the early promo art which got me super hyped on the show originally. The actual show itself has pretty generic art and inconsistent to bad animation. I imagine some episodes down the line will look better as the budget/time will be distributed to accommodate the more "important" episodes, but overall the show will never look like a gem and lack in stylization.

Aizo

Banned
I was SPECIFICALLY talking about how the show LOOKED (art, animation, etc.) not about the plot. The art used on the BD set closely resembles a lot of the early promo art which got me super hyped on the show originally. The actual show itself has pretty generic art and inconsistent to bad animation. I imagine some episodes down the line will look better as the budget/time will be distributed to accommodate the more "important" episodes, but overall the show will never look like a gem and lack in stylization.

I do agree with you there.

duckroll

Just be thankful that they even "finish" the episodes on time for broadcast. The people watching the early screenings at the noitaminA Cafe on weekends aren't that lucky. For episode 8 they were actually subjected to an unfinished version with voices and sound over raw animatics for some scenes. Lol.

Kansoku

12/11 09:47 [Mirai Nikki EP. 4]

Nothing happened.

12/11 10:08 [Mirai Nikki EP. 5]

I was not ready for Sixth backstory. That's way too dark for my tastes, especially because they showed stuff happening..

Thankfully we have Twelveth to balance things out. Because, I mean:

Anyway, I'm a little worried
Because with the 6th and 12th down, there's only 9 left. It's pretty obvious that Yuna will be alive until the end, and leaving the protag, the 4th and 9th we already know about that's 5 left for 21 episodes. I suppose this is going to be a 2 arc anime, with this first game anding on ep 14 or 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom