• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Kotake is close to Kotaku

Kotake is an ambiguously lesbian 380 year old desert goblin witch and surrogate mother for the demon King Ganondorf.

Getter Robo 15

This is definitely the best episode in the show's run thus far. The Dinosaur empire kidnaps Genki and his friend Yuuko. Yuuko has a heart condition and that hits home because I have a friend who does, too. So the Dinosaur Empire finally establishes itself as evil and competent, instead of just a bunch of goofy lizardmen, because Emperor Gore KNOWS the little girl is dying, and he leverages the hell out of that point in negotiations.

Aside from finally showing us that the Dinosaur Empire is not to be messed with, this episode's highlights include the following good points:

-Musashi gets to be the team leader and hero, and goes on one hell of a rampage to let off his absolute rage over the Dinosaurs holding children hostage.

-Professor Saotome comes off as incredibly human in this episode, fretting over the fate of his own son and the poor little girl who is quickly coming close to death, and struggling with how to comfort the girl's mother.

-Ryo and Hayato fly blind during the final battle. Hayato has sustained a blow to the head and has probably broken his right arm. They still kick ass. It's pretty damn awesome.

-Michiru is shown to care about all three of the Getter pilots, and not JUST Ryo.

-The guys, in spite of being a bunch of dysfunctional jerkasses who are willing to beat each other to bloody pulps, unanimously agree to work together as a team and lay down their lives to save the children. It's a heartwarming development, and when the three of them go to surrender to the Dinosaur Empire to save the kids it's nothing short of heroic.

This was a really, really good episode. It was tense and emotional, and it hit all the right notes.

Syrinx

Thinking of getting plowed (or at least buzzed) and watching The Golden Laws tonight. Is it as fun as The Laws of Eternity?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Coppelion Episode 11:

Oh hey, they finally remembered to make Aoi useful and oh my god
this was turning into a contest to see who could have the most noblest, fully enriched death scene it bordered on self-parody. Still, nice that the supporting cast got some character development as we finally got this train running ans we are heading towards the end of this arc.
Also, I think I have a problem the filter are getting less shitty and more poignant to the mood of Coppelion.

Thinking of getting plowed

9Eyg93K.jpg

CorvoSol

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross 15

I am so over Minmay at this point. Girl, how do you write a song called "My boyfriend is a pilot" and tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW that Hikaru is NOT your boyfriend? What the hell, is your problem Minmay? Meanwhile, Hayase has become totally awesome, standing up to the UN for the rights of the people and tearing up her father's letter in indignation that he would ask her to abandon the crew of the Macross. Minmay is apparently going down the Cousincest route anyway, so I say it is time Hikaru jumps ship and hooks up with the sexy Hayase with her cheese danish hair style.

Oh and I really, really am impressed that this anime has an interracial relationship almost entirely at the fore. It's really neat, especially since the characters in it are both likeable and not doofy caricatures.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

I am so over Minmay at this point. Girl, how do you write a song called "My boyfriend is a pilot" and tell EVERYONE YOU KNOW that Hikaru is NOT your boyfriend? What the hell, is your problem Minmay? Meanwhile, Hayase has become totally awesome, standing up to the UN for the rights of the people and tearing up her father's letter in indignation that he would ask her to abandon the crew of the Macross. Minmay is apparently going down the Cousincest route anyway, so I say it is time Hikaru jumps ship and hooks up with the sexy Hayase with her cheese danish hair style.

Oh and I really, really am impressed that this anime has an interracial relationship almost entirely at the fore. It's really neat, especially since the characters in it are both likeable and not doofy caricatures.

I got this game years ago at gamestop, really liked it, found out it use to air on toonami, then in the same sentence found out it wasent called robotech and that the series that aired on toonami was completely fucked with the storyline, 2 or 3 years ago I watched what your watching now with a re-dub that was alot better than the original dub, enjoyed it and yes they're going down cousincest road.

CorvoSol

I got this game years ago at gamestop, really liked it, found out it use to air on toonami, then in the same sentence found out it wasent called robotech and that the series that aired on toonami was completely fucked with the storyline, 2 or 3 years ago I watched what your watching now with a re-dub that was alot better than the original dub, enjoyed it and yes they're going down cousincest road.

Sword Dimensional Art Macross Online

The Macross is a metaphor for Hikaru's feelings for Minmay, and until he gets off the one he won't get off the other, and by no means will anybody be getting off to anybody else.

Think I found another reason to dislike Yes! Precure 5 GoGo!

It feels like a proto-Smile Precure. Which is rather bad considering Smile gives fuck all for individual relationships, something that was also thrown out in GoGo. Nevermind Smile did it better, especially since there's hardly any established relations from the getgo.

Gbraga

Man, Noucome was great, can't wait for the next season, some hilarious episodes. I wasn't expecting it to be so short though, so it was really a bummer to see it ending so soon, I wasn't ready for this.

I'm already trying to prepare myself to the imminent end of Non Non Biyori AKA the meaning of life.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Sword Dimensional Art Macross Online

The Macross is a metaphor for Hikaru's feelings for Minmay, and until he gets off the one he won't get off the other, and by no means will anybody be getting off to anybody else.

prepare for the 2nd half

Jarmel

Banned
So the Beyond thread in Gaming and the impressions earlier made me remember that I haven't played Heavy Rain. I'll start that tonight.

Looking forward to the experience.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Valvrave the Liberator S2 9

If Valvrave gets dubbed and the reporter isn't voiced by Tim Curry, I will be disappointed.

...and literally no one notices that they're not coming back to life? Okay, Valvrave...

HOLY SHIT

Dresden

Valvrave the Liberator S2 9

If Valvrave gets dubbed and the reporter isn't voiced by Tim Curry, I will be disappointed.

...and literally no one notices that they're not coming back to life? Okay, Valvrave...

HOLY SHIT

It was all set up by the ARUS dudes, man. Hence the zero fucks given.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
It was all set up by the ARUS dudes, man. Hence the zero fucks given.

It was set up by the one ARUS dude who's a member of the 101, though right? None of the students try to point out that they're not also immortal and none of the ARUS grunts notice? Like, idk.

cajunator

Banned
Outbreak company 1-4

Enjoying this so far. Myucel is BEST GIRL. Not a competition.
that said, I dont hate Petralka as much as I did at first. The culture shock is an interesting direction with the feudal system clearly causing some friction. Gonna keep going.

cajunator

Banned
Just a reminder that Santa Company kickstarter exists:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itoso-tag/santa-company/

c57ebf3c4f45716b004f88d5cd88e976_large.jpg

They recently revealed Rie Kugimiya is voicing one of the main characters, Thomas and ChouCho will be performing the theme song. Pledge levels have also been updated with more sensible rewards, given this project failed on anipipo, would be nice if it would succeed on Kiackstarter.

So far it's a bit over 26k, with 50k being the main goal. $25 gets you 720p, $35 1080p while it's $59 for the physical disc (+$10 for shipping outside US). Check the page for details, but it's a bit of a mess since the guy added new rewards.

Oh my god Im so contributing to this

Think I found another reason to dislike Yes! Precure 5 GoGo!

It feels like a proto-Smile Precure. Which is rather bad considering Smile gives fuck all for individual relationships, something that was also thrown out in GoGo. Nevermind Smile did it better, especially since there's hardly any established relations from the getgo.

During smile i was saying that smile was just a remix of yes!+gogo

Now your feeligns are perfectly natural they do learned from that 100 ep saga .

It would have been proof that toei is run (100% ) by morons if they managed to retry the same basic concept without any changes.( or with a worse final product )

Smile managed to correct nearly every flaw yes! had , at the expense of Cure beauty character develloppement ( the only downside when you consider that cure aqua was the original and is superior to her in every aspect )
An unnecessary sacrifice...

Happy > Dream
Sunny > Rouge ( not by much )
Peace >>>> Lemonade
March > Mint
Aqua > Beauty

Incredible when you consider that smile had half the amount of episodes ..

Mature

You love her hair.

Kyousougiga TV 09

What is this. I don't even.

It seems like my perfect ending might or might not happen. And the freaking dad is being as mysterious chaotic neutral as ever.

I still can't tell if he's a bad guy. It seems like his plan was to get Myoue to realize that he gave him the power of creation and that he can save the world alongside young Koto. I think Myoue realized this at the end when he said "sorry I said you only bring the end." Still I want dad and mom and the rest of the family to live happily, and at least the preview didn't make it seem like the dad was the bad guy. One more week to go. I might not get to watch the next episode for a while.

During smile i was saying that smile was just a remix of yes!+gogo

Now your feeligns are perfectly natural they do learned from that 100 ep saga .

It would have been proof that toei is run (100% ) by morons if they managed to retry the same basic concept without any changes.( or with a worse final product )

Smile managed to correct nearly every flaw yes! had , at the expense of Cure beauty character develloppement ( the only downside when you consider that cure aqua was the original and is superior to her in every aspect )
An unnecessary sacrifice...

Happy > Dream
Sunny > Rouge ( not by much )
Peace >>>> Lemonade
March > Mint
Aqua > Beauty

Incredible when you consider that smile had half the amount of episodes ..

Well Smile primarily is a better version of GoGo. At best, the only thing it really took from Yes! 5 was the 5 colored power rangers.

It's a big problem with GoGo because having a Smile dynamic on characters is terrible when you have several group dynamics being fleshed out throughout the course of the series (romance related or not), which basically gets a soft reset button for GoGo, and frankly, without that, the cast is even more boring than before. At best, Nozomi and Karen's relation stands, which kinda sucks when she's basically just playing a straight man without deepening her bonds with Kurumi. (who knows maybe it's enough, but the way it's done in GoGo makes it feel like "looking through googles" unlike Karen/Komachi and Karen/Rin).

Actually, I guess the other thing that came from Yes! 5 was the attempt to establish group dynamics, that didn't really go anywhere.

CorvoSol

Man, Tessa and Minmei in the last 50 posts? Disgusting.

Hey man, I am firmly #TeamMelissa, but Tessa isn't the worst girl. She's honestly really good when she's captain and after she gets over Sousuke. The Worst Girl is
Nami
. And I mean, you know she's bad because she's a red head and she's STILL bad in spite of that.

You love her hair.

Your image doesn't show, but I actually really like Hayase. When her hair got wet onboard the Zentradi ship she looked really nice. Honestly she had more chemistry with Hikaru aboard the Zentradi ship than Minmay has had with him since they were rescued. Which is sad, because I actually liked Minmay at first. But it's become hard to like her, or at least see her as the better love interest, since she insists to everyone she meets that Hikaru isn't her boyfriend, even though she wrote a song that made her famous that is all about how he his her boyfriend but doesn't notice her feelings.

Kill la Kill 8

Enjoyed the Gamagori back story, always thought he was a pretty interesting character. Best part of the episode was when
Gamagori crashes, and the airbag pops and the only thing you see of Mako is her leg sticking out of the airbag perfectly straight. lol

Loved where it ended, figured it would at that exact point. Looking forward to see where this goes!

FUWA FUWA SQUEEEEEEEEE

FfrwFk1.jpg

THIS SHOW. I LOVE IT.

Squee.

And bless it for existing!
I'm not even surprised you like it.

Well Smile primarily is a better version of GoGo. At best, the only thing it really took from Yes! 5 was the 5 colored power rangers.

It's a big problem with GoGo because having a Smile dynamic on characters is terrible when you have several group dynamics being fleshed out throughout the course of the series (romance related or not), which basically gets a soft reset button for GoGo, and frankly, without that, the cast is even more boring than before. At best, Nozomi and Karen's relation stands, which kinda sucks when she's basically just playing a straight man without deepening her bonds with Kurumi. (who knows maybe it's enough, but the way it's done in GoGo makes it feel like "looking through googles" unlike Karen/Komachi and Karen/Rin).

Actually, I guess the other thing that came from Yes! 5 was the attempt to establish group dynamics, that didn't really go anywhere.

But it's also why smile is better . The character relations are set and they just run with it with fun moments ...sometimes they run too far and most of theirs new ideas are flat ( the bookshelf mecanics is completly underused ) but at least you have a nice sense of progression in the dynamics in the group.
The fight choregraphy was also better ( in smile ).

In gogo the cast was boring because they didn't replace the intro mecanics ( those episodes when you get to know the characters ) by something worthwhile it's alright that you don't need to introduce the characters again , but with that new space they didn't put anything new .

By having 6 characters to take care of ( in battle ) they managed to make almost every fight boring It was bad in Yes! ( stock footage stoock footage ) and i say that knowing that stock footage is always used but they didn't even feel like they put any effort in it.

In the end there is no need to like Gogo , what one should do is to acknowledge that it is better than yes! despite the "soft reset" because :
-milky rose
-cure mint has an attack ( yeeeeeeahh )

Fun fact i tried to mix : coconuts , milk & syrop , but it wasn't tasty at all
Toei painfully forgot that you need rhum for this cocktail to work.

cajunator

Banned
Kill la Kill 8

Enjoyed the Gamagori back story, always thought he was a pretty interesting character. Best part of the episode was when
Gamagori crashes, and the airbag pops and the only thing you see of Mako is her leg sticking out of the airbag perfectly straight. lol

Loved where it ended, figured it would at that exact point. Looking forward to see where this goes!

Squee.

You. Youre awesome you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom