• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
12/11 09:47 [Mirai Nikki EP. 4]

Nothing happened.

12/11 10:08 [Mirai Nikki EP. 5]

I was not ready for Sixth backstory. That's way too dark for my tastes, especially because they showed stuff happening..

Thankfully we have Twelveth to balance things out. Because, I mean:

Anyway, I'm a little worried
Because with the 6th and 12th down, there's only 9 left. It's pretty obvious that Yuna will be alive until the end, and leaving the protag, the 4th and 9th we already know about that's 5 left for 21 episodes. I suppose this is going to be a 2 arc anime, with this first game anding on ep 14 or 15.

I REALLY wanna get this show but its only out on DVD. After getting burned 3 or 4 times buying DVDs which were later released on bluray, Im holding out for now. So sick of this DVD only stuff.

duckroll

KyoAnus no Kanata - Episode 11

YYi6Dc7.jpg

I can't believe they actually drew something like this just for a short throwaway scene.

That was... a thing. A really dumb thing. A rather bad thing. But a thing with some pretty fucking insane animation. All those movie quality effects. Lol.

Jex

KyoAnus no Kanata - Episode 11

I can't believe they actually drew something like this just for a short throwaway scene.

That was... a thing. A really dumb thing. A rather bad thing. But a thing with some pretty fucking insane animation. All those movie quality effects. Lol.

Sounds like what one would have come to expect of the show by now. I guess you really can't quit it?

e_i

Love Live! OVA

Seven minutes of something that makes no sense. Dream? Loli Maki? Then a seven minute Maki centric music video.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Log Horizon is the best MMO centered anime there has been, which is weird because the subject is such a prevalent one.

Midonin

NouCome
① "Not Your Average Harem"
② "An Irreverent Comedy With Boobs"

I'm going to go with ② as my choice for how to describe this series. The first phrase has so many unspoken connotations and years of baggage that the anime fandom's built up (What is "typical"? Can typical be a good thing? The definition's constantly being redefined). NouCome was interesting to me because it's one of two shows - the other being this spring's Gawore - that play along the "visual novel elements integrated into reality" premise, which as I said before it started, was kinda the premise of a story I myself had written. Kinda. So, how was the show?

There were a lot of little things it did that I appreciated. The stingers showing the results of alternate choices were funny, and while the montage that opened and closed the series did go on a little long at first, it wasn't what I was expecting, and was fairly interesting in itself, if only for the historical choices they showed. (Japan loves it some Steve Jobs, apparently.)

I also liked how God's phone avatar was Ecce Homo (botched painting version). Never commented on, purely an Easter egg, but it's a good indicator of what the show's doing. Something that should be pure - like a first love - and deliberately wrecking it by being as juvenile as possible, while still letting the audience know that it's not being done maliciously.

The characters were all fairly set in their archetypes, but not without some hidden sides. Furano was probably the most defined in this regard, switching between perverted ice queen and lovestruck teenager. Seira's hidden side was only hinted at, but I ultimately liked all the characters. Whenever anime does a brightly-colored cast of weirdoes like this one, I usually do.

Which brings me to probably my favorite character. Furano's cute and Ouka's got that high-energy personality - even Chocolat's thought process was fun to follow, but standing above all is Ayame Reikadou. For the most part, your standard drill-haired rich girl, but oh my god those boobs. Those fantastic boobs. That they're fake doesn't deter me, and that we have an anime girl who got that way because of a boob job is interesting in itself. Plus, as stated before, I am a bit of an M. Her screentime wasn't a whole lot, but she made a strong impression. The battle with Furano and with Yuragi stand out.

The color palette was also fun. Lots of bright, primary colors, the kind of thing I like to see anime doing. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but it was polished without feeling overly so. The opening was extremely catchy, and the ED's a nice listen. I'm not sure how I feel about Afilia Saga taking over the preview, tough. That felt like 5pb. playing its hand a little too strongly. It was just restrained to the previews, so it doesn't affect a whole lot, but if that time had been used for more banter between the cast, I would've loved it even more.

Final Thoughts: With any adaptation, there are some things left unsaid, but the running jokes don't overstay their welcome, and the irreverent sense of humor makes the show unpredictable. There's still a core of sentimentality to it to make it so that things don't feel too crass (especially from Furano). As a comedy, it was enjoyable. Also full of boobs, which is a plus for me, personally.

Joe Molotov

Dokidoki! Precure 37

I wasn't sure how they were going to be able to top the "Teach Ai-chan how to brush her teeeth/MakoPi is afraid of the dentist" episode, but truly they nailed it with a masterpiece for the ages! Ai-chan doesn't want to eat carrots and neither does Aguri Kugiloli. This shit will not be allowed to stand. To the carrot farm, for an educational adventure about the love (and poop) that goes into growing carrots!

hmQky3D.gif
Best Precure episode since the giant robot episode of Smile
62gFQAe.gif

Dokidoki! Precure 37

I wasn't sure how they were going to be able to top the "Teach Ai-chan how to brush her teeeth/MakoPi is afraid of the dentist" episode, but truly they nailed it with a masterpiece for the ages! Ai-chan doesn't want to eat carrots and neither does Aguri Kugiloli. This shit will not be allowed to stand. To the carrot farm, for an educational adventure about the love (and poop) that goes into growing carrots!

hmQky3D.gif
62gFQAe.gif

A reminder in that this episode asks both "Do you eat shit" and Would you like a carrot in your ass... without being drunk.

Anything to make Cure Ace eat shit though.

Quasar

Log Horizon is the best MMO centered anime there has been, which is weird because the subject is such a prevalent one.

But how many are really about the MMOness? Alot seemed to use the MMO as little more than a backdrop.

Of course you could probably argue that Log Horizon could have worked mostly just as well without the MMO. It could work just as easily with transporting a bunch of D&D players to their game world (like the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg) or a bunch of Game of thrones fans to Westeros.

Noucome 10
Ouka was sort of cute in the first half. The crying just made it sort of awkward though. It ended quite interesting and satisfying
assuming you weren't expecting him to choose somebody
. Furano was adorable when Amakusa said Furano. The end card was quite funny too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I'm not watching it, but NouKome ended today after 10 episodes and well, I feel like this has to be a sign of a larger trend. Studios are probably looking for ways to save as much money as possible and contracting the length of the standard season seems to be the way it's going.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this... if anything, a shorter episode length forces the writers to be more judicious and think about their adaptations. Of course, it also means that for most adaptations, you're just going to get a summary of the series because that's just the easier thing to write.

Tokyo Ravens 10

Little cute psycho is back. She's just as great of a character as before. Honestly ever since this passed the manga I've been loving it more. Harutora's comedy routine has grown on me, plus I like him more as a character.

So, I'm not watching it, but NouKome ended today after 10 episodes and well, I feel like this has to be a sign of a larger trend. Studios are probably looking for ways to save as much money as possible and contracting the length of the standard season seems to be the way it's going.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this... if anything, a shorter episode length forces the writers to be more judicious and think about their adaptations. Of course, it also means that for most adaptations, you're just going to get a summary of the series because that's just the easier thing to write.

All the 10 episode shows have been strictly from Kadokawa, so it's a trend that's limited to one publisher and certainly doesn't stem from any of the anime studios themselves. Kadokawa is trying to reduce risk by eliminating a disc from the shows they sell, after being hurt by bombs such as Nichijou.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before.

On that note, looks like Inari Konkon Koi Iroha will be another 10-episode Kadokawa show.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 9

Sousuke ams fucked. Okay but seriously, what's with this captain girl? What kind of high school-age girl is a captain for an elite unit in an extremely powerful military organization? I guess she knows what she's doing for the most part on the brains side of things, but still.

This dude they have in captivity seems pretty fucked up. Guess he's equipped to use Arm Slaves like Al. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near this guy in one of those things.

Kyoukai No Kanata 11

I've actually been enjoying these past few episodes. Maybe it's because the lack of bad humor. Also Akihito actually doing shit instead of sitting around.

Also let it be known this is male role model of the year. Not only does he kick women into kitchen cabinets, he also punches, chokes and elbows his family members.

cajunator

Banned
DokiDoki Precure: 42

Makoto: My parents are dead.

Mana: Lets have a birthday party!

...way to read the mood, Mana.

That sounds highly inappropriate lol.

Its definitely one of the least aggravating ones.

I would prefer an episode length of 13. Seems perfect. 10 episodes seems like it just cuts a story off early, even if thats all there is to it.

Pooya

Coppelion - 11 kakusei

WOW, 90% of this episode didn't have any colors, like grayscale.. I mean greenscale wow.

it all looked like this past the intro....

RIP Haruto :( he's probably not dead though

The Last of the Colors

I like how they wrapped that set piece in like 3 minutes and rest of the episode was drama talk drama talk drama.
It's over next week though it doesn't look like there is much point to it, well meh,

looks like they adapted up until somewhere in vol 8-9 of the manga, there are like 20 volumes out right now apparently. The show is a huge bomb too, I guess it won't happen then lol, I kinda liked it overall still can't say it was a big loss or anything overall :S
the plot point with the yellow cake company doesn't look like will go anywhere in the anime other than that it's self contained enough I guess... not really nope :(

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 9

Sousuke ams fucked. Okay but seriously, what's with this captain girl? What kind of high school-age girl is a captain for an elite unit in an extremely powerful military organization? I guess she knows what she's doing for the most part on the brains side of things, but still.

This dude they have in captivity seems pretty fucked up. Guess he's equipped to use Arm Slaves like Al. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near this guy in one of those things.

Tessa's greatest strength is that everyone suspects her to be a terrible captain because she's a teenage girl. She gets a lot of things done because no one expects her to get things done. Also technically I don't think the TDD-1 is particularly elite. I could be wrong, but they're just part of Mythril's Pacific Fleet. The TDD-1 itself is special because it's a crazy advanced sub, and a lot of the personnel turn out to be special by virtue of being the main cast, but they're just one branch of the organization from what I recall.

Still, a lot of people like Tessa to the point where they think she's Best Girl. They're wrong, of course, because Melissa is Best Girl.

Nordicus

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood 16

Envy: "The best way to shut up an annoying dog is to give him some food"

I don't like the sound of that

*4 more minutes of episode pass*

OH...

*loud sweating*

Jintor

But how many are really about the MMOness? Alot seemed to use the MMO as little more than a backdrop.

Of course you could probably argue that Log Horizon could have worked mostly just as well without the MMO. It could work just as easily with transporting a bunch of D&D players to their game world (like the Guardians of the Flame series by Joel Rosenberg) or a bunch of Game of thrones fans to Westeros.

now THAT'S something I'd like to see!

Non Non Biyori 07

Renge-chan is god damn adorable. Oh my godddddd.

Oooh, candy shop girl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
All the 10 episode shows have been strictly from Kadokawa, so it's a trend that's limited to one publisher and certainly doesn't stem from any of the anime studios themselves. Kadokawa is trying to reduce risk by eliminating a disc from the shows they sell, after being hurt by bombs such as Nichijou.

I'm pretty sure we've talked about this before.

On that note, looks like Inari Konkon Koi Iroha will be another 10-episode Kadokawa show.

I guess I don't pay attention to who owns this stuff. Well, I suppose I respect the honesty of the fact that they see this stuff as manga/light novel related merchandise rather than something that's supposed to stand on its own.

I would prefer an episode length of 13. Seems perfect. 10 episodes seems like it just cuts a story off early, even if thats all there is to it.
I'm waiting for someone to try a 9 episode series, but only sell one episode per volume. lol

Syrinx

Tessa's greatest strength is that everyone suspects her to be a terrible captain because she's a teenage girl. She gets a lot of things done because no one expects her to get things done. Also technically I don't think the TDD-1 is particularly elite. I could be wrong, but they're just part of Mythril's Pacific Fleet. The TDD-1 itself is special because it's a crazy advanced sub, and a lot of the personnel turn out to be special by virtue of being the main cast, but they're just one branch of the organization from what I recall.

Still, a lot of people like Tessa to the point where they think she's Best Girl. They're wrong, of course, because Melissa is Best Girl.
There hasn't been enough of Melissa lately.

Syrinx

Kirby, thinking of starting the next Ojamajo Doremi. I know the next one to watch isn't Dokkan. Which is it? And is Hana-chan still a baby in it?

Kirby, thinking of starting the next Ojamajo Doremi. I know the next one to watch isn't Dokkan. Which is it? And is Hana-chan still a baby in it?

Naisho is indeed next, and yeah, Hana is still a baby in it. Although she doesn't have much of an appearance anyway.

Aizo

Banned
Dokidoki! Precure 37

hmQky3D.gif
62gFQAe.gif

What is this giant robot episode of which you speak? Do you recall?

cnet128

Banned
Coppelion 11

Fuck yeah
Super Aoi
!

Blah blah trains, electricity, wind, faith in humanity, sacrifices...I don't really care.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yep. Stated it waaaay earlier in the thread, but it's there. It's also on 3DS but LOL watching anime on the 3DS. Fuck that noise.
they had a kirby channel where you could watch the kirby anime, but it was only available in english, hopefully they put it on here.
Yeah, but you'll have to watch episodes with Iris in it. And who would want to do that?

poor iris

cnet128

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata 11

Endgame-y stuff happened. There was pretty animation. This show isn't very good.

lol
Akihito's mother
though.

Vito

Banned
Just a reminder that Santa Company kickstarter exists:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/itoso-tag/santa-company/

c57ebf3c4f45716b004f88d5cd88e976_large.jpg

They recently revealed Rie Kugimiya is voicing one of the main characters, Thomas and ChouCho will be performing the theme song. Pledge levels have also been updated with more sensible rewards, given this project failed on anipipo, would be nice if it would succeed on Kiackstarter.

So far it's a bit over 26k, with 50k being the main goal. $25 gets you 720p, $35 1080p while it's $59 for the physical disc (+$10 for shipping outside US). Check the page for details, but it's a bit of a mess since the guy added new rewards.

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z 15

HOLY SNAP.

I mean, wow, where do I start? I don't know who is more screwed up in this entire show anymore: Is it Juuzou Kabuto,
who kickstarted this entire chain of events and built the Mazinger Z, not for the sake of allowing Kouji to decide the fate of the world, as previously believed, but for a pretty grudge match to defend his son's honor?
Is it Kenzo Kabuto, who if the recording is anything to go off of, was not exactly a nice guy, and was very much willing to inflict harm on his wife and her former lover?
Or was it said former lover: Stroheim,
who was willing to raise a child for the sake of sacrificing her to a machine so that they could kill the Kabutos and ultimately join Dr. Hell?
Or was it in fact Tsubasa Nishkiori, who
murdered both her husband and her former lover, abandoned her sons and had Juuzou build all manner of armaments for her?

Most surprising of all is that Pygman the blind hunter, Count Brocken the beheaded, Baron Asura, and Doctor Hell, with his dreams of world domination and super-power triggered insanity are somehow less insane and, excluding Brocken, more sympathetic than any of the above.

No matter how you slice it, though, the final battle at the end of this episode was the best in the show thus far. Stroheim
fools his daughter into thinking he is dying and uses his dying wish to convince her to kill Kouji
, and then the Danube and the Mazinger throwdown, and while at first the Danube is winning, the Mazinger proceeds to literally tear it apart and kill it in a way that is both horrifying and graphic, considering that
the giant robot is technically a little girl.
The way her rage distorts the Mazinger Z into a demon just before she makes her final charge is pretty damn amazing.

Short version: Thank you based Imagawa.

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 1

So this series is just a short extension of Motto! I guess?

Anyway, starting off with a Kotake episode was not a good way for this to start. Even though this one was better than most. Saw a side of Kotake that wasn't just being a whiny shit that always blamed everybody else. Still, he's Kotake and all.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ojamajo Doremi Naisho 1

So this series is just a short extension of Motto! I guess?

Anyway, starting off with a Kotake episode was not a good way for this to start. Even though this one was better than most. Saw a side of Kotake that wasn't just being a whiny shit that always blamed everybody else. Still, he's Kotake and all.
Pearls before swine!

Unless you really hate Kotake that much. :/

Jarmel

Banned
Kyoukai no Kanata 11-

Maybe I'm not in the right frame of mind to watch this. There was a whole lot of animation happening and a whole lot of me not giving a fuck.

I should note that I did think the ending sequence was absolutely awesome but the rest of the episode is bleh at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom