• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

You gonna hate this arc lol

but you almost there, to the best monogatari

I have largely made my peace with Shinobu, especially since they've scaled back some of the less welcome elements of her character since Nise.

Nekomonogatari (Shiro) (Tsubasa Tiger), Kabukimonogatari (Mayoi Jiangshi) and Onimonogatari (Shinobu Time) all take place over the same few days, in the second half of August. Nekomonogatari (Shiro) shows Hanekawa and Senjôgahara's side of those days, and Kabukimonogatari then Onimonogatari show Araragi's.
Otorimonogatari (Nadeko Medusa) is set roughly two months later (during Halloween, actually). If it helps, Ôgi first appeared at Araragi's school in October.

Thanks. Kinda odd for the show to bounce around chronologically like this, though.

Jarmel

Banned
Valvrave 24-

Uh I'm not sure that's how muscle memory works lol. Also if this was viable then why the fuck didn't they do the swap earlier?

Also thank you Christ at
Q Vier. Best death in the entire series. So good.

Now that all the bad characters are seemingly gone, I want a sequel.

Also oh my god at future Saki and Aina. So delicious.

Oh yes, best mecha of 2014 has finally been revealed for the Fall. Fafner Exodus.

The planned 26-episode television anime is set in the year 2151, two and a half years after the film Sōkyū no Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Heaven and Earth. The 10th-anniversary project will reunite the main staff from the first Fafner television series, including director Nobuyoshi Habara at XEBEC zwei and Xebec. Tow Ubukata is writing the project, and King Records' Gou Nakanishi is a producer.

And Angela for music!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Little Busters fin
ymAotbSl.png

I don't even know what's going on anymore!

You know, given the purgatory twist of Angel Beats and, well, everything about every Key series ever, I suppose weird mysticism/spirituality/religiousness is par for the course. And I suppose being able to live the same moment of life over and over again until you are able to get things right is something that most people wish for or at least empathize with - they made a movie about trying to date Rachel McAdams called About Time after all.

But something about the fact that this has necessarily happened over and over again until things are "right" undermines a lot of the character development the cast has gone through. Presumably, it means that all the revelations of the first season have all happened previously and that everything was done for Rin and Riki's benefit. I'd almost have preferred the OTHER drama gimmick that is overused - the character is in a coma, goes through an alternate life/sees the future, then wakes up and chooses to make the right changes to help everyone... It works for A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life after all!

Weird spirituality angle aside, and maybe this is just some form of Stockholm, but I liked the series for the most part. Yeah, Kurugaya was given the short shrift, but I suppose I take solace in the fact that she was integral to the Refrain arc and given the most visually interesting episode.
rGptWqql.jpg

"Hnng", etc.

Where Angel Beats really was such a massive mistake all around, Little Busters feels like they took the lessons learned from the trainwreck and made something that, as far as jdrama anime goes, is pretty good. If you can ignore questions about the very premise, the storytelling and character development is good (if not jdoramatic), the direction varies from serviceable to interesting, and it looks fine.

I think watching this show was more of an accident, since I was expecting yet another Angel Beats, but in the end I was lulled into caring about a Key show. I guess I've come full circle when it comes to being a part of anime fandom!

Little Busters! Refrain 13 (end)

Perfect ending for such a fun little series enhanced with the Little Busters - Little Jumper! - version. Only questionable aspect was
how it seemed no rescue forces were ever present in the time it took them to not only leave the bus, but come back to the bus, examine everyone, pull them out, pull them up the hill, then even get Kyosuke out. Surely another car or even someone would have spotted the smoke rising from the forest to come by?

Of the mix, I think its not as good or memorable as Angel Beats, but it still was a fun and compelling ride the whole way through for both parts, with pt1 being a bit better than this refrain. Dont think I will watch EX. Riki Kyosuke moments were some of the series best parts, and oddly I think it could have been really strong anime if told from Kyousuke perspective the whole time.

Lain

Valvrave 24

Man what a let down. I wanted to see Shoko
die of desperation and regret
and instead I get that kind of ending.

duckroll

Oh yes, best mecha of 2014 has finally been revealed for the Fall. Fafner Exodus.

And Angela for music!

I don't really understand what's been going on with Fafner Exodus. I don't watch the series but I've been following some of the announcements on and off and it always struck me that something weird was going on in the production of the series.

I just went back and checked, and here's what I could find.

Back in Sept 2012, Fafner Exodus was first known when a theater listing for one of their live programs at the time mentioned it was going to be a 2013 project: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-09-10/theater/fafner-exodus-set-for-next-year

Then in Dec 2012, Tow Ubukata confirms he's writing for two projects in 2013 - a movie (the Arise film OVAs as its later revealde) and a TV series (has to be Exodus since there was nothing else): http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ardock-scramble-ubukata-pens-2-anime-for-2013

In Jan 2013, they officially announce Fafner Exodus with the staff listing: http://www.xebec-inc.co.jp/xebeczwei/sf_kairan201301.html

In March 2013, they confirm it is planned as a 26 episode TV series: http://www.xebec-inc.co.jp/xebeczwei/sf_kairan20130322.html

In July 2013, they announce more staff and details: http://www.xebec-inc.co.jp/xebeczwei/sf_kairan20130704.html

Now in Dec 2013, they finally release a trailer and announce that production will complete only in Fall 2014, and many more story and staff are announced. It is still a 26 episode TV series: http://www.xebec-inc.co.jp/xebeczwei/sf_kairan20131228.html

The trailer also states that there will be cast announcements in Spring 2014.

It strikes me as really odd because I've never really ever seen a TV series being announced in total drip feed like this before, and then getting a trailer almost a year before it's even released. Right now the shows getting announced are the ones which will air in Spring. It almost feels as if the show only started production in late 2012, and they were hoping to air it in 2013 but it got delayed, and then they decided to finish making the entire series before airing it, hence Fall 2014? I dunno. Weird! Does anyone know what's going on?

e_i

Little Busters Refain episode 13

I love when "weak" characters develop strength and pull out all sorts of awesomeness. Riki and Rin really bought the awesomeness this episode
and saved everybody.
Although Riki really is a
car crash magnet. He's loses his parents, then almost his friends.
I almost did a double take that after all that,
Kyousuke gets everybody to go on a field trip again.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Valvrave END

That was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I'm surprised people thought this show was going to payoff. I was creatively bankrupt in the first half of the first season. Everything people that they were enjoying afterwards must have been like watching a train wreck. I hate to say it but I bailed on the series in the first half because it felt like the plot was being made up as the story progressed.

jman2050

Monogatari S2 End (Koi 6)

...That did NOT just seriously work, did it?

Kaiki you magnificent bastard.

WHAT

WHATWHAT

OUGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

NISIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Go_Ly_Dow

Valvrave peaked with

the school pop dance video with saki

+

haruto attacking saki

Although the scene with L-Elf at the end of 23 is up there with the best the of the show

Midonin

Monogatari Series Second Season
Worth Many Pictures

I've been watching the Monogatari series regularly since Bake, and in those days, simulcasting hadn't quite taken off, so subs were more sporadic. Streaming has been a huge boon for this series, leaving the translations of the many, many words up to the pros. This is the first time I've ever really commented on the series.

I generally like it. Watching one episode can feel like it lasted longer than it did, just because of how deep the conversations run. It's animated by Shaft, and I've always liked their works and their way with unique visual styles, so that helps. It's musically interesting, and the girls are plenty cute. But I've never really formulated an opinion on it. Feels a bit unfair to review it without Hana in there, but the circumstances of production got in the way.

Perhaps it's best to cover it by arc.

Tsubasa Tiger

I also watched Tsubasa Family when the series began, since Daisuki acquired that as well, and for a long time, it really felt like Tsubasa Hanekawa was the star of the series. I like the black and white hairstyle that Tsubasa ultimately ended up with, and the yuri bath scenes between Tsubasa and Hitagi was enough to incite the fires underneath pixiv's collective asses. There was a bit of Tsubasa fatigue going on, but it felt like her character really had come a long way since the start of the series. More confident, more self-assured, and less stressed.

Mayoi Jiangshi/Shinobu Time

Getting the chance to see an older Mayoi was certainly interesting, but in the end, the arc ended up being more about Shinobu. The time travel story did have to jump through more than a few hoops to happen in the first place, but that's the first time I really noticed that these stories, even with all the detours and meandering, were connected. I actually hadn't seen parts 3-5 of Tsubasa Cat until the start of this series, and seeing them was absoloutely essential for this one.

Shinobu Time. I'm a bit disappointed it didn't have a vocal opening theme (Couldn't get Sakamoto?), and the episode where Shinobu explains her past took the longest to watch, just because it was so dense with content I had to rewind several times to make sure I got all of it. Yet, ultimately, the arc ended up being about Mayoi. Another fakeout. The goodbye scene did hit that mix of emotional and laced with puns this series produces.

Nadeko Medusa

One of the most interesting arcs in the entire series, I thought. I knew Nadeko was a fan favorite, but she had never left that much of an impact on me until this arc. Everyone's mentally unbalanced, but revealing that the snake that was leading her along the whole time was at least partially a delusion was a twist I didn't see coming, after taking for granted that the monsters in this series are real. Even if they're not real, they're always metaphors.

Hitagi End

Another deceptive title. It says it's about Hitagi, but Kaiki's really the one in control. Shinichiro Miki has a lot of roles this past season, didn't he? Knowing the secret to breaking open Nadeko's shell was that she
likes to draw manga
was a bit anticlimactic, but I think it may have been intentionally so. The thing nobody expected that sneaks through the barrier. Being able to get inside Kaiki's head was also interesting. I may not agree entirely with his philosophy, but I at least see where he's coming from.

The lack of Suruga was felt, and the stories were often kind of mini-plays only using a portion of the cast at a time, but that also allows for deeper introspection (or at least witty dialogue) on the cast as a whole. All three EDs were good. I like Mayoi and Tsubasa's, find Nadeko's to be kind of haunting, and the pure 80sness of Hitagi/Kaiki's is a bit unexpected, but it's melodically good.

Final Thoughts: The picture is still incomplete, with Hana and Kizu yet to materialize, but from what I've seen, the series remains interesting. Everything I said above, about Shaft's visual style and the writing, long-winded as it is, at least proposes a few interesting ideas. The continuity between events is tight, and the voice actors are doing a good job. It'll never be my favorite series, but it's one that I'm always looking forward to seeing. You can tell Shaft's putting a lot of love into it.

Can someone tell me if I have to watch/read the anime/manga of Blue Exorcist to enjoy the movie?

Looking to continue watching some more after Gintama yesterday (10/10 Outstanding), and I want to see something else right after I finally getting around to watching One Piece Film: Z tonight.

Only aware of the beginning from Chapter 1 and nothing else.

duckroll

Can someone tell me if I have to watch/read the anime/manga of Blue Exorcist to enjoy the movie?

No. It's a stand alone story, and it's pretty good at being that. I never watched the TV series and I never read the manga. I just knew its about two brothers and some organization that fights demons.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So while I was cutting onions in the kitchen today while making lunch, this hilarious Clannad After Story clip came up in a youtube video (you probably shouldn't watch if you haven't seen the series). I probably will never rewatch this series.

No. It's a stand alone story, and it's pretty good at being that. I never watched the TV series and I never read the manga. I just knew its about two brothers and some organization that fights demons.

I'm actually having a hard time trying to remember the last time a saw a stand-alone story based on a larger fiction that felt as impactful as the original work. I know I must have seen some but I can't recall any at the moment.

Go_Ly_Dow

Monogatari S2 End (Koi 6)

...That did NOT just seriously work, did it?

Kaiki you magnificent bastard.

WHAT

WHATWHAT

OUGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

NISIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

hold me brother

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Monogatari S2 26
And so a promising arc comes to its end, ugly, awash with bad CG, and using unsatisfying cinematography with stills pulled from past episodes to sputter out with a conclusion that offers no reward to the long and calculated build up. The trump card intentionally hidden from the viewer is a joker, and against basic logic Nadeko
forsakes being a god so she can draw manga.
Yes. Very compelling stuff. It probably doesn't help to have Nadeko crushed as a character in these final moments, with both her reasoning for becoming a god simplified (suddenly its entirely about Araragi when the show went out of its way to establish her entire life led to her being cold and uncaring). Her goals and aims also wind up feeling reduced to the level of a character rather than that of a human being.
Zooming further out this arc goes out on Kaiki's demise. A con artist being stabbed in the back is a fitting way to go, but it's handled here so cheaply and poorly that the loss of one of the series best characters just winds up not feeling very weighty. The shot by shot is confusing, and the insistence of hiding the aggressor so poorly doesn't leave a very convincing antagonist for the future, even if his work is abstracted through a third party.

There is a lot of promising stuff hidden away in the plot of Monogatari, but Shaft's inability to translate the material with any craft or tact leaves little beyond a series that is both insipid and pandering. Monogatari S2 at least had some brief glimpses into something more calculated, interesting, and emotional, but nothing is adequately realized when production is this poor.

BluWacky

Star Driver 22

This episode is genuinely excellent, and not just because of the drama club performance which finally captures something of the subtlety and allegory that makes Utena worth watching but the smaller character moments - the end of the episode, or Hana's re-appearances, or even the weirdass
Entropeople
twist.

I suspect I'm just going to skip to 25 now. I still have no idea what on earth
Reiji wants to do when the Cybodies can leave the island
but I genuinely don't care - I think I just want to get the sakuga over and done with so I can stop sort-of watching the show. The show has still failed to create any particularly interesting characters so I don't really care what happens to them before the denoument.

duckroll

Star Driver 22

This episode is genuinely excellent, and not just because of the drama club performance which finally captures something of the subtlety and allegory that makes Utena worth watching but the smaller character moments - the end of the episode, or Hana's re-appearances, or even the weirdass
Entropeople
twist.

I suspect I'm just going to skip to 25 now. I still have no idea what on earth
Reiji wants to do when the Cybodies can leave the island
but I genuinely don't care - I think I just want to get the sakuga over and done with so I can stop sort-of watching the show. The show has still failed to create any particularly interesting characters so I don't really care what happens to them before the denoument.

That was a really good episode because it played well into the strengths of both Igarashi and Enokido. As for the other spoiler, don't worry, you aren't the only one who doesn't care about it. The writer and director didn't care much either! :D

Aikatsu! 9

So I guess we have our Witch Exams/Baby Tests/Patissiere/Grandchildrens clothes thing. Special Auditions with 3 people.

Apparently Ichigo can climb. Lovely. She could've died. She could've missed her audition if it wasn't for Johnny BEPP! 2fabulous4me.

Definitely feels like it's moving at a decent pace at least.

Linkark07

Banned
White Album 2 END

Dat beginning. And in the end we only got a sad ending. Hopefully the Closing Chapter gets animated in the future.

Sadly for Haruki, Kazusa can't abandon her studies in Vienna. She must go there for resolve her issues with her mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom