• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam G Fighter

This englishman looks like sir Gallahad from The Order 1886

8TEiuzj.jpg

Are there any new, promising, animation studios or is the scene pretty much stagnant? I know of studio Khara but isn't that more like a studio splitting into two?

Most animation studios are formed out of older studios. For instance, Production I.G. was created out of Tatsunoko. So that's not really a reason to disqualify anyone.

Anyway, Kinema Citrus is the comparatively young studio whose recent work has impressed me the most. They put a lot of effort into Code:Breaker and Yuyushiki, and I'm very interested in seeing how Bushiroad and Black Bullet turn out.

Seems that Discotek randomly announced another bunch of old-school licenses/rescues for 2014:

- the 1989 Lupin movie Lupin III: Bye Bye Liberty Crisis
- the 1993 two-episode OVA Dragon Half
- 1995 TV series DNA²
- the "Fatal Fury OVAs", which I assume are the two TV specials Legend of the Hungry Wolf and The New Battle (previously released together as Fatal Fury Double Impact)
This Dragon Half looks super interesting.

Oh, there's also the very promising Wit Studio! Truly the only ones who care about their animators. Lol.

Say what you will about Titan, Wit's upcoming TV show Hoozuki no Reitetsu looks promising. At the very least, the art direction, inspired by traditional Japanese art, is amazing.

I'm also keeping my eye on Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha from the new studio Production IMS; the art released for it has been quite good.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hyouka 11

And so this arc comes to a conclusion. Heh at Oreki coming to all these realisations. Irisu is pretty best.
Another thing I liked and didn't quite catch at the start is how the chat at the start of the arc was Irisu. Wonder if that comes up again. Especially the "disconnected" part.

#basedHyouka

Nice to see you're on the train.

If Hyouka wasn't so recent then Kyoto would be KyoAnus for me to. :(

.....however, it is recent so I think they will bounce back big soon. BELIEVE!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
e: beaten. I'll just use this post to encourage people to watch Code:Breaker.

Are there any new, promising, animation studios or is the scene pretty much stagnant? I know of studio Khara but isn't that more like a studio splitting into two?

Of course, individual staff are more determinative of a show's quality than affiliation with a particular studio, but in the past year I've been especially impressed with relative unknown Kinema Citrus. Between Code:Breaker and Yuyushiki, there's an emerging pattern of the studio emphasizing high production values and making an effort to elevate adapted source material that I hope continues with Black Bullet. Hopefully they're not broken by too many bombas.

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy 26 END

EARTH WAS SAVED!
And Eimi is still a magical girl. Being Eimi is suffering. But hay, Konoha gained that dude's penis afterall.

BUT NOW MARS IS EVIL! AND ONE FINAL PUNCH LINE! EVERYONE KNEW WHO SAMMY WAS! They didn't say anything because they thought they were supposed to keep quiet about it. Hahahaha. Too bad Pioneer didn't understand Doremi to make a good spin on that.

So I guess, given the circumstances behind this show, this is a show/product that someone created because of a popular thing, and normally, companies just don't really get why the popular thing is... well popular. Genre likeness and whatnot. But this is one of those cases where someone truly understood what makes that popular something special, and this was the end result (by the way, Sailor Moon was the popular thing here). A self aware show making use of an established IP for the sake of quality.

Again, I think madp gave a good post about this, so I'm not too sure what to add. I am willing to say that Pixy Misa stole the show, but Pretty Sammy isn't a slouch herself. Then again, who is there to really hate in this show? I mean, nevermind the fact that we have USEFUL PEOPLE who aren't magical girls, how often does that work out?

Pretty Sammy loves to live in its ridiculous scenarios (positive comment) to drive the show going, enough to make it a good laugh throughout the way, and while it did drive up the seriousness towards the end, it never forgot what it really started with. Man, I could gush for this as much as I want, but I do legitimately recommend this and the Pretty Sammy OVAs. We're talking good magical girls, for 26 episodes + 3 OVAs.

It's TOO bad Sasami Club isn't good though. I'd be willing to watch it otherwise. One last stop until further descent into Magical Girl Hell.

cajunator

Banned
I like a lot of BONES shows a lot! I love Angelic Layer too! I like BONES. :D

Im ok with Bones. Angelic Layer is one of my joys. I thought it was pretty perfect the way it was. Such a sweet, optimistic, fun show. It was really cute too.

Someone would, and I'm not in the mood. Last time I did I probably wound up on Cnet's ignore list, and that makes me sad. I suck at arguments anyway.

No worries Corvy kun. Just enjoy what appeals to you. No need to answer for it. There will always be people who agree or disagree.

Mr.Jeff

Got to keep that air of mystery around. It's part of what makes her appealing.
Well you could argue that it's done from an artistic point of view to show that this is Hotarou's story, not his sister's. While she is a catalyst for some events, it's all about him and the group of others.

It makes me wonder if Hotoarou has a slight inferiority complex about his sister which has led him to his attitude of "don't do anything if you don't have to".

duckroll

There are always promising new studios and new animators. Every few years, people will lament that the industry is stagnant or that it's the same people all the time making good stuff, but that's because in entertainment it seems a lot of people only have a 5 year memory span. :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So Studio Xebec can make some pretty good looking anime huh?

Speaking of the design work in Yamato 2199, a show which I aim to talk about until it receives the attention which I think it rightly deserves, I'd like to draw people's attention to the design work in general.
So yeah, pretty good anime. Do watch.
Of course, I agree with you, but I do note that you probably purposefully omitted the anime-isms in some of the character designs. lol

cajunator

Banned
watching fate/zero for the first time.

rider is killing me.
fate-zero-rider-shirt.png

Rider is a boss. Actually hes THE BOSS.
His presence made Fate Zero a lot of what it was.

Check it out first, it's better. :p

I have really mixed feelings about Golden Time.

I'm pretty sure I read the first book for... some reason. I don't remember it at all though.

Ill check it out thanks. Im really enjoying Golden Time so thats promising.

David Production

Seems that Discotek randomly announced another bunch of old-school licenses/rescues for 2014:

- the 1989 Lupin TV movie Lupin III: Bye Bye Liberty Crisis
- the 1993 two-episode OVA Dragon Half
- 1995 TV series DNA²
- the "Fatal Fury OVAs", which I assume are the two TV specials Legend of the Hungry Wolf and The New Battle (previously released together as Fatal Fury Double Impact)

Niiiice! Dragon Half!!!
HNNNNGH

Yall should all watch that. Its awesome.

Jex

Of course, I agree with you, but I do note that you probably purposefully omitted the anime-isms in some of the character designs. lol

People already know about some of the dumb shit but the show really is a lot more than that, it really feels like the staff put those bits and pieces in because they had to.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Life as a harem girl is tough. Charles certainly tries though! Shes a sweetheart.

I have a hard enough time dealing with idiots who I have no intention of sleeping with, life as an anime harem girl trying to woo a complete and utter dunce must require carrying a bottle of aspirin on their person everywhere they go. ;P

Gazoinks

Very nice post, Jexhius. One of the things that immediately made an impression on me from the second episode of Yamato is that I really like the
male
military uniforms. I dig the whole retro feel the show has, with everyone dressing like they're in the navy and flying a giant WW2 battleship.

So Studio Xebec can make some pretty good looking anime huh?

Speaking of the design work in Yamato 2199, a show which I aim to talk about until it receives the attention which I think it rightly deserves, I'd like to draw people's attention to the design work in general.

That's a lot of pretty images. I will watch the first two or three...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People already know about some of the dumb shit but the show really is a lot more than that, it really feels like the staff put those bits and pieces in because they had to.
Oh, I completely agree. I wonder how many arguments were had over the fact that they had to use that SHITTY OP/ED for the TV version of the show.

I'm just glad that something like this can exist in 2013... considering that science fiction media properties are limited to JJTrek, JJWars, and Enders Game. Truly, a dark time. :(

Tamayura: More Aggressive - 12 END

Man, if something had happened
to that camera, I don't know...it would be pretty heatbreaking.
Some screentime for Potte mother, it was nice sicne every time is "Did dad do this?"
Even if it had this too
. lol
And that's it. They don't even show us
the yearbook album.
:(
...or is that :firehawk montage in the end some of the photos there?

cnet128

Banned
Someone would, and I'm not in the mood. Last time I did I probably wound up on Cnet's ignore list, and that makes me sad. I suck at arguments anyway.

a) I don't have an ignore list.
b) If I did, you'd be the last person I'd put on it. Your posts are entertaining, and debating things with you is fun.

Monogatari SS 19 (Onimonogatari 3)

I can't really argue with an episode containing so much delicious loli content. (For the record, Mayoi should have been the clear winner, and I'm disappointed in Araragi for choosing Shinobu even with a caveat.)

That said, this felt like a relatively uneventful episode overall. It's cute how they're starting to tie it into Nekomonogatari White timeline-wise, though. Looking forward to seeing more of
Izuko
next episode, and considering the aforementioned timeline elements, I daresay
Kanbaru will probably show up too, which should be nice since this season has been distinctly lacking in her so far

cajunator

Banned

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura: More Aggressive - 12 END

Man, if something had happened
to that camera, I don't know...it would be pretty heatbreaking.
Some screentime for Potte mother, it was nice sicne every time is "Did dad do this?"
Even if it had this too
. lol
And that's it. They don't even show us
the yearbook album.
:(
...or is that :firehawk montage in the end some of the photos there?

You know, I don't actually remember how it ends. lol
I just remember the
smiling crying
. :firehawk

Theonik

I hope not, it means girls started to wear pants!
And also lost their brains.

I dont understand why they never showed her face. Its so stupid.
You can't stop thinking about it?

#basedHyouka

Nice to see you're on the train.

If Hyouka wasn't so recent then Kyoto would be KyoAnus for me to. :(

.....however, it is recent so I think they will bounce back big soon. BELIEVE!
KyoAni will always be KyoAni for me. KyoAnustards can fuck off.

Keep going. You're on a good path.
Feels like it.

cajunator

Banned
There are always promising new studios and new animators. Every few years, people will lament that the industry is stagnant or that it's the same people all the time making good stuff, but that's because in entertainment it seems a lot of people only have a 5 year memory span. :)

So true. Theres always been something interesting to watch and several studios every season step up to the challenge and present solid product. Anime is so far from dead.

I have a hard enough time dealing with idiots who I have no intention of sleeping with, life as an anime harem girl trying to woo a complete and utter dunce must require carrying a bottle of aspirin on their person everywhere they go. ;P

It makes me thing the writers must actually be pretty talented to fuck everything up so badly. That kind of stupidity has to be masterfully calculated.
Yes I just suggested that harem writers are GENIUSES.

Nordicus

Ghost in the Shell

So yeah, I'm one of those rare anime fans who haven't seen this until now. The animation and art direction is great by any era's standards, I enjoyed the plot until final showdown, but the basic philosophical questions about the definition of a life form and soul that've been repeated ad nauseum since 1995 (heck, even before that), and the open ending where our protagonist has been rather fundamentally changed to an unknown direction, kept me from whole-heartedly enjoying the film.

I'm still glad I watched it though, it just didn't quite reach masterpiece status for me, but maybe Stand Alone Complex will do that when I finally get to it in another 10 years or so. I have this bizarre aversion for series and movies that've been super-well received

Mr.Jeff

Infinite Stratos - 05
In a better world, the entire school would be wiped from the Earth for their own stupidity.
This is not a better world.

At least Charl turned up which was alright. The scene where the instructor falls on top of Ichika and somehow despite that ends up in this situation was pretty painful to watch. To Love RU grade rubbish.

Also, the German girl is voiced by Marina Inoue which is pretty disappointing.

e: beaten. I'll just use this post to encourage people to watch Code:Breaker.

Of course, individual staff are more determinative of a show's quality than affiliation with a particular studio, but in the past year I've been especially impressed with relative unknown Kinema Citrus. Between Code:Breaker and Yuyushiki, there's an emerging pattern of the studio emphasizing high production values and making an effort to elevate adapted source material that I hope continues with Black Bullet. Hopefully they're not broken by too many bombas.

Most animation studios are formed out of older studios. For instance, Production I.G. was created out of Tatsunoko. So that's not really a reason to disqualify anyone.

Anyway, Kinema Citrus is the comparatively young studio whose recent work has impressed me the most. They put a lot of effort into Code:Breaker and Yuyushiki, and I'm very interested in seeing how Bushiroad and Black Bullet turn out.

Rider is a boss. Actually hes THE BOSS.
His presence made Fate Zero a lot of what it was.

Ill check it out thanks. Im really enjoying Golden Time so thats promising.

David Production

Niiiice! Dragon Half!!!
HNNNNGH

Yall should all watch that. Its awesome.

Well thats a relief. Whose behind the new Yozakura because ep 6 just delivered the best anime action scene of this season.

Monogatari SS 19

Ehh... one of the weakest episodes. At this point I feel silly for complaining about it in this series, but the whole long exposition and the idle chat and the focus on lolis and Araragi being a complete pedo, all in the middle of a dangerous situation of being followed by a supernatural and mysterious black hole is so stupid that you have to laugh (or cry, or be bored while Araragi is groping kids for the nth time).

Well thats a relief. Whose behind the new Yozakura because ep 6 just delivered the best anime action scene of this season.

Tatsunoko, in particular a group of young animators considered "web-gen" (because they got their start posting animated GIFs online) who have coalesced around the studio such as Ryochimo and Shingo Yamashita.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 1st

So I finally decided to watch this movie that I've avoided for a long time. Mostly due to the fact that the first season of Nanoha was really boring until Fate showed up. I actually watched the second one before this.

After seeing this movie...I'm glad I watched the second one first because I like this movie better than the A's movie.

Where to start? First off, the pacing is done a lot better (than the first season, not the A's movie). All the annoying filler from the first season has almost been completely wiped out, and the first half of the first season is summarized quite nicely.

But the second half of the film, is where things really start to shine. First off is Fate and her mother's backstory. It gets an entire reworking in this movie, and it is magnificient. In the series
Precia's backstory with her daughter wasn't explained in too much detail. She was essentially your typical "mwa ha ha" villain there despite that backstory thrown in. The movie fixes that problem by having a sequence of flashbacks detailing the experiments she did and her attempts to bring back Alicia. And holy crap, the transition this character goes through! We see this woman deteriorate into insanity the more she tries to resurrect Alicia. It's shown that she treated Fate nicely from the start but used her as a tool because she realized she wasn't exactly the same as Alicia.

The point is, they took something from the old season and expanded upon it. The A's movie, while really good, only got rid of the unnecessary parts that weren't needed in the original series. Not a lot was added to that story to enhance the experience.

This movie, expanded on what was in the first season to make it better. The animators clearly put a lot of effort into taking something that was average at best and turning it into something really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom