• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- 6

This show is so crazy.
Summoning a cannon-train to fire a massive bullet at Tokyo Tower? OKAY, WHY NOT! Revealing a massive mechanical hand from the roof of your shop, using it to toss a dinosaur into the distance, and then randomly self-destructing the whole building for good measure? SURE, GO RIGHT AHEAD!
It's certainly got spectacle, if nothing else.

Jintor

Kill la Kill 06

That was fun. Kind of depressed Kendo-guy's uniform wasn't as blatently fanservicey as Matoi's, but whatever. Felt rushed but in an acceptable kind of way.

It's really not got that 'heart' that TTGL had, or it has a different kind of heart perhaps, but it's still a fun ride.

homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif

CorvoSol

Shin Mazinger Z 4

So good. 4 episodes in and there hasn't been a dull moment like, at all. Really stoked for Kouji's counterattack in the next episode. Time to start kicking ass. The flowing blood scene was intense! Thank you, based Imagawa.

cnet128

Banned
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono 6

Band club episode desu.

Entertaining desu.

Finding it difficult to think of things to actually write about this show desu.

Jintor

My editor has assigned me to write this rather vaguely specified 'anime gift guide'. What's some bizarre-ass merchandise I could put on this?

Gazoinks

My editor has assigned me to write this rather vaguely specified 'anime gift guide'. What's some bizarre-ass merchandise I could put on this?

Well there were those Madoka hidden waifu ties. I also found a Saber hot water battle on Amiami one time. Not sure why anyone would want that.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Centaur hug pillow, Evangelion jelly, that Oculus Rift game with the penis controller. Y'know, the usual.

Kyōkai no Kanata 6

Still not as great as episodes 3 and 4, was better than 5 though! Here's hoping 7 will make this series good again.

Centaur hug pillow, Evangelion jelly, that Oculus Rift game with the penis controller. Y'know, the usual.

You mean CM3D and the Ju-C Air?

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 4

GETTA BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

So I'm pretty much #TeamMusashi at this point. I mean yeah, Getter-1 and Getter-2 are way cooler than Getter-3, and Ryo and Hayato look cooler than Musashi, but Ryo is still a jerk and Hayato is a douchebag
yes, visiting your mother's grave is important, but you might want to explain that to people instead of looking smug while they beat the tar out of you.
but Musashi is all heart man. He says what he feels and feels what he says and also he can beat people into a dang pulp.

Dr. Saotome is still sort of kind of a nut.

Midonin

Heaven's Memo Pad
For I'm a Tech of Internet

The more I try to shrink my backlog, the larger it gets. When looking for things related to Dantalian, I was led here. The first series Choucho sung for, and one of the first major roles for Yui Ogura. The other, it appears, being Hinata from the same season. (Oh~). But I'm not here to talk basketball.

The setting, while distinctly Japanese in many ways, feels very much in line with what I expect from a procedural. Characters from China and Taiwan mingle among the cast, and there's a lot of urban, gritty city streets. The color palette is also restrained to dark grays and blues, especially the prominent light of Alice's computers. I watched it the way the arcs were arranged on the Japanese wiki - the double length premiere, then 2-3, 4, 5-8, 9 and 10-12. Experiencing an entire arc at once probably gave me a different feeling than those who watched it weekly, relentlessflame has said as much.

I guess the LN fans may have had things to say at the time, but moving the first book's arc to the end was a nicely made choice. The first book of a light novel series often is one with the biggest, self-contained story to pull in readers, and a story should have a lot of tension at the end. I haven't read the novels so I can't say as much, but I was okay with it.

Enough about how I got here. What about what I saw? While it doesn't have as many female characters as I usually get in the kinds of shows I gravitate towards, Alice, Min and Ayaka had enough of a presence that I could still feel the "anime" from it. Stories were remixed and the opening arc was original, but things like using chapters from the short stories book to provide some levity was a great choice. Those were some of my favorite episodes. Meo was one of my favorite characters, for all three episodes she was in. Alice may speak in profoundish words, but she has enough cute moments to keep things grounded. It's a strange contrast at first, but I came here from Dantalian, and her obsession with sweets is comparable. Though this being a more modern-based show, Dr. Pepper is obviously the thing of choice. That's twice I've seen that association between Dr. P and hackers. In America it'd probably be Mountain Dew.

Min's great, such a Nabatame character. Motherly but at the same time a bit of a drunkard, yet loves making ice cream. Such a seemingly contradictory and rounded mix of emotions and motivations. She was responsible for one of the most heartwarming episode endings, too.

The stories... again, a very urban feel to it. Gang warfare and machoness and money extortion, the worst of humanity. Oddly, the arc with the darkest ending was probably the anime original one that began everything. Every other arc at least had some form of reconciliation, from Renji and the Fourth making amends to Ayaka
waking up from her coma, even if only at the very end.
Wasn't sure of what the tone was going to be at the start, but it did get better.

The trio of Major, Tetsu and Hiro struck a nice balance between comic relief and being the Baker Street Irregulars of the NEET world. The Fourth and his men were also pretty cool, providing a nice, ordered contrast to the hodgepodge of the NEET crew.

The opening and ending were both well done. Having the hour long episode have an English ED also threw me for a loop.

Final Thoughs: This isn't the kind of series I'd watch, but I think I'll move onto Gosick if I'm going to compete the girl detective subgenre. I've seen the magical side, I've seen the modern side, and the one that remains falls squarely between. It struck a right mix of levity and gravitas, in that way Japan really excels at.

Hyouka 1

Well I was going to do batch posts, but I took too long because of distractions, so lets get this out of the way.

Chitenda: IM CURIOUS!
Oreki: *fist pump*

I almost have this nagging obsession just to call her Chitendo (due to knowing someone with a similar username)

Right now, I'm getting a case of character dynamics, and what happens when you introduce a new factor into those dynamics (or Chitendo in this case), and I guess... Chitendo has this... power of sorts... Not really a power, but more like she has the eyes to make you think you're on something, but it's just her curiosity is so strong, you can't help but get tangled up in her desires.

And I'll call Oreki's friend Mr. Database for now, but something about him bugs me. I don't mean evil or anything, but more of him and his lines....

Rider is the KING of Bros. He surpassed Kamina in incarnations of sheer manliness.

Rider is a boss. Actually hes THE BOSS.
His presence made Fate Zero a lot of what it was.
i love this show. the character development is probably my favorite part. how the show delves into everyones backgrounds, shows everyones motivations, and how it makes us feel for EVERYONE even it theyre technically a "bad guy". it really reminds me of X where every character is given a story and theyre not just a throwaway.

rider also reminds me of someone from X, i forget his name but he was also the big dude who was friends with a dragon of heaven girl before they found out they were enemies.

Gazoinks

i love this show. the character development is probably my favorite part. how the show delves into everyones backgrounds, shows everyones motivations, and how it makes us feel for EVERYONE even it theyre technically a "bad guy". it really reminds me of X where every character is given a story and theyre not just a throwaway.

rider also reminds me of someone from X, i forget his name but he was also the big dude who was friends with a dragon of heaven girl before they found out they were enemies.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite thing about the first season (the second is a little more focused). Even Caster and... his Master whatever his name was become interesting and sort of likable, and that's saying a lot since they're crazy.

CorvoSol

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross 4

"Just what kind of girl is Lynn Minmay?"

A COMPLETELY CRAZY ONE. Girl's like "Oh, Hikaru, let's get married here in the confines of the space ship so we don't have to die miserable space virgins!" then she's like "No wait I like that idea! Let's jump out the airlock and die miserable space virgins!" Then "Well I guess I could kiss you first." Then "LOL JK NVM" as the ceiling collapses and reveals they've been under town like, all along. Also I can't decide if Hikaru is equally nuts for jumping into space to catch a tuna or if he has balls of steel and deserved a little action for JUMPING INTO SPACE to get some damn dinner.

Either way I'm really enjoying this. Little bit of romance never once hurt a space opera. Unless that Space Opera was Glass Fleet, and then everything hurt it.

Toriko Episode 125 Meet Legendary Chef Brunch the Tengu!

Brunch meeting Komatsu was the funniest scene all arc. Hilarious where its going, and thankfully no more finding Yun!

And I got a heaping helping of emotions from the post credits segment.

Spice and Wolf II – Episode 00

Blah, can't say I'm overly enthusiastic with how this first episode played itself out. I guess the seeds for a closer relationship between Holo and Protagonist were layed in the last season but Season 2 seems to have taken what has been a gradual shift and put it into overdrive with the romantic being put up front and center from the outset. More than that there seems to be a pretty significant tonal shift here where there's an awareness that the journey is eventually going to come to an end and a feeling of sadness that comes with that.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite thing about the first season (the second is a little more focused). Even Caster and... his Master whatever his name was become interesting and sort of likable, and that's saying a lot since they're crazy.

i just started season 2 so well see how it holds to season 1. another thing that kills me is when theyve given these characters so much depth, coupled with the fact that pretty much everyone is somehow connected to each other, you hate the fact that there can only be one winner and everyones out to kill. like when we meet kariya, he wants to take the place of sakura which is probably the most noble reasons out of everyone. yet at the same time sakuras father tokiomi is also in this war. nothing good can really come out of this lol.

Gazoinks

i just started season 2 so well see how it holds to season 1. another thing that kills me is when theyve given these characters so much depth, coupled with the fact that pretty much everyone is somehow connected to each other, you hate the fact that there can only be one winner and everyones out to kill. like when we meet kariya, he wants to take the place of sakura which is probably the most noble reasons out of everyone. yet at the same time sakuras father tokiomi is also in this war. nothing good can really come out of this lol.

Haha, yeah. Of course, it's an Urobutcher show so I think that already guarantees nothing good will come out of it. xD Kariya is such a depressing character.
He goes through so much crap because he's too kind.

I personally like season 2 more than 1, actually. Have fuuuuun!

i just realized theres a fate/stay night.

i guess im doing it wrong :(

Fate/Stay Night is apparently horrible, I wouldn't bother thinking about it. Just pretend F/Z is a standalone story, it concludes fine.

i just realized theres a fate/stay night.

i guess im doing it wrong :(

No shutup you're absolutely not doing it wrong.

Watch the Fate/Zero anime -> Read the Fate/Stay Night VN

The adapations from what i've heard really aren't up to snuff and weren't handled by Ufotable. It works out actually that you're watching Fate/Zero now as the studio behind it is confirmed to be doing a new Fate/Stay Night anime in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom