• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah its called Angel Tales.
O2OxvGM.jpg

Was Majestic Prince going for something like this?

Penguidrum 5

Holy flashbacks batman. And a wild guess but
I'm guessing the girl in the hospital bed in the beginning done got herself deaded by the red head for fucking up :(.

Either way psychotic girl is still psychotic and now in denial.

I like the ending OP as well for this show so far.

Shergal

Valvrave 18
JGAnEhn.jpg

What has science done?
Amazing. This episode was well-directed, engaging, funny, and it brings several disparate plot threads together in a great climax. ED playing during the ep was ten times more hype than in KlK.

The voice actor for Haruto's dad really made the episode, lol. dat mad laughter

JCG

I can easily imagine Ikuhara would tell those questioning him that the most important parts of Penguindrum were all about getting the message across and not really making a clean, spotless narrative. Especially for someone with his directorial style, I hardly think he's worried about making it neat and shiny.

Episodes 9 and 20 are definitely the best Penguindrum has to offer.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I haven't really had a problem so far. As long as the ride stays consistent as it has been everything should be ok. I can deal with a plot that doesn't end with all questions answered.

Just as long as its not the kind of ending where you have to sit there and ruminate about it for a 3 weeks before it starts to make sense. I've rewatched the ending to Big O at least 8 or 9 times and I still don't really get the "what" and only partially get the "why".

Samurai Flamenco 6

Originally, I planned on watching this show for two reasons: 1) the overall subject matter and 2) Sugita. I figured it'd be just a show I'd catch whenever I had some downtime. Instead it's become one of my favorite shows this season out of the ones I've checked out so far. The animation quality may not be the best by any means, but I'm enjoying the story it's telling so far and it's just what I need on my Thursday nights. I'm glad that
Masayoshi's gotten an upgrade and the Flamenco Girls are here to stay
. Will continue looking forward to this show every week.

Yeah its called Angel Tales.
O2OxvGM.jpg
That's the one.
This is an "awesome" description.
That's pretty much it , the 12 girls each represent an animal he took care of and they all arrive to live with him reincarnated as girls to "repay the kindess" or something like that . Unfortunatly each girl still has some leftovers from their life as animals or something... making for a mismatched "familly" .( i'm talking about their habits, weakness , like and dislikes ) i'll say this once ..it was "better than sister princess" but still very bland . nothing really happens , it's a slice of life without comedy but it's somewhat unique. I can't even put it in the harem category because it doesn't feel like it.

Was Majestic Prince going for something like this?
Lol

no

PenDrum

I'm pretty sure the
Child Broiler
was a metaphor for
societies mistreatment of abandoned kids, basically grinding them down into empty soulless husks of people in the process. It certainly wasn't a literal kid killing machine.

I still don't get what the deal with the cages were tho.

DAMMIT SAVE ME WITH PENGUINBEAR IKUNIIIII
i want to say that the
cages
were the way the 2 main characters
dealt with their positions as child and the way they were unable to break free from what was happenning leaving them with the apple only as a mean to an end , a gamble of sorts

But it's been a while since i saw penguindrum so i might be a little "off"

What's in an hour?

The right question is : will the gaf foroms survive ?

What's wrong with your priorities?

My PS4 already came this morning. Too bad I've only had like 2 hours to play it thanks to work.

Look I ate enough Tacobell shit boxes that I had the runs for days. It's not like the thought of walking didn't cross my mind either, but its 17 miles man to class! I just can't......

Uchouten Kazoku 4

This is pure fun. The characters are so charming, Benten most of all of course, but each of the main characters stand out in their own way. The flashback and battle were both supernatural beings supernaturally playing with each other, and the whimsical tone made them really successful. Poor Yasuburo!

I'm reminded of just how beautiful this show is too, both in its rich art and lively animation.

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 6

WUoIZvI.jpg

Why indeed. Maybe it's because you're FUCKING HOT! <3

This show is fucking crazy. It's an insane show about insane people in an insane world. Somehow, it's so insane that everything works and actually feels normal. Such insanity. This episode was pretty funny too. The interactions between the MMM girls are just so.... loooooool. "Oh My God!" Loooooooooooool.

I love it.

I can easily imagine Ikuhara would tell those questioning him that the most important parts of Penguindrum were all about getting the message across and not really making a clean, spotless narrative. Especially for someone with his directorial style, I hardly think he's worried about making it neat and shiny.

Probably, but the problem is that the narrative is so messy that it detracts from the message Ikuhara is trying to get across. Branduil's Lost comparison is apt, especially in how episodes would end with twists for the sake of twists.

Kill La Kill 7

When Mako's
two star goku outfit
was revealed I laughed. Great episode that moved the story more despite being mostly a comedy one.

Branduil

I actually still liked Penguindrum, but the narrative was definitely a mess. If the narrative isn't important, then why are you focusing so much on it?

Part of the reason episodes 9 and 20 are so great is that the overall narrative takes a back seat to smaller, self-contained stories that are focused on the characters.

cajunator

Banned

Caladrius

That's right. I have a 3DS. I could just get 3D Land on it.

*Whew*

3D world looks much more varied, and more importantly doesn't seem to loop in on itself halfway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-X6uPKqPKY

Also the unlockable character they included is baller.

I didn't think too much of 3D land but even I'm excited for it. They should have shown a bit of the stuff they put out recently at the E3 reveal, people would have paid more attention to it.

Midonin

Katte ni Kaizou
Sciencevestigation Club vs School Shocker

I think, partially because of Shaft's Shaft-isms and the choice of voice actors, some part of my brain thinks that Koji Kumeta and Nisio Isin are mostly the same person. Zetsubou Sensei was one of the first Shaft anime I got into - and it helps that it ran nearly as long as Hidamari, even if it got into some sub troubles later thanks to the fact that translating Kumeta is a special kind of linguistic trouble for anybody. I knew Kaizou had gotten an OVA... and I also purchased the opening single despite never seeing it, so as long as that backlog continues to exist, what better time to watch than now?

This reminded me of why I loved Zetsubou Sensei so much. It's clear Shinbo had a lot of material to choose from, and went with some of the best hits from the manga's run. In many ways, it comes across Zetsubou Sensei Season Zero. The same kind of mix of social commentary, petty grievances, name puns and crude humor is on display, though the whole thing feels a little more normal. Relatively. This is Kumeta we're talking about here.

So many kudos to the voice actors. Kitamura sounded positively psychotic as Umi near the end, and Chiwa Saito's Chiten also had some wonderful line readings. There were a few jokes that came across as questionable, such as the three-man buttsex train in the hot springs, but as the material from the manga went further and further ahead, it became more refined, closer to the Kumeta I first discovered with Itoshiki trying to "make himself taller".

Umi seems like a prototypical Chiri, and the Itoshiki-Kaito thing is also clear. The beautiful and popular class president Yamada (loved her Wizard of Oz segment) felt like Tsubasa Hanekawa before Tsubasa even existed, though I'm sure most of that comes down to the casting of Yui Horie. And Suzu captures that same deadpan Toyosaki magic one gets with Megumi Chihaya.

The way the episodes were filmed and split across the three volumes also does suggest they were meant to be watched together, the way a segment from one episode cleanly followed into the next. My favorite sketch was probably the one about "once you've gone that far, there's nothing anybody can say." Refuge in audacity, as the quote goes. The little nods to Zetsubou becoming more overt was a nice touch, too.
Kaizou doing Itoshiki's "I'm in despair!" animation, and being given his set of clothes at the end.
Even the usual digs at Negima I've come to expect were in there.

The difference between Isin and Kumeta became clear. Isin at the very least couches his talking in some form of drama. Kumeta just goes full blown comedy. I still think Shaft is the best fit for his sensibilities, but JC Staff did a pretty decent job with Joshiraku too. I would've loved more episodes of Kaizou, but that a manga that ended in 2004 got an anime OVA at all is surprising.

The opening, with its Kamen Rider style visuals, was fantastic. Ichiro Mizuki is awesome. The version with Kenji Ohtsuki doing the vocals is pretty sweet too. The ED is also nicely addictive, and fanservicey.

Final Thoughts: The Sciencevestigation Club filled the spot in my heart that needed some of this since Joshiraku wrapped, and while it was only six episodes, it was six episodes of pure joy. Kumeta, keep on writing, and I'll keep on listening.

cajunator

Banned
That's the one.

That's pretty much it , the 12 girls each represent an animal he took care of and they all arrive to live with him reincarnated as girls to "repay the kindess" or something like that . Unfortunatly each girl still has some leftovers from their life as animals or something... making for a mismatched "familly" .( i'm talking about their habits, weakness , like and dislikes ) i'll say this once ..it was "better than sister princess" but still very bland . nothing really happens , it's a slice of life without comedy but it's somewhat unique. I can't even put it in the harem category because it doesn't feel like it.

Lol

no

i want to say that the
cages
were the way the 2 main characters
dealt with their positions as child and the way they were unable to break free from what was happenning leaving them with the apple only as a mean to an end , a gamble of sorts

But it's been a while since i saw penguindrum so i might be a little "off"

The right question is : will the gaf foroms survive ?

Thats a pretty good description.
Not quite a harem because its also a bit mahou shoujo.

I'll make it worse. Wonderful 101 exists.

This is a veeeeeery good argument my dear friend.

That doesn't work on me since I don't like the W101 aesthetic. If, say, Persona or a mainline SRW got announced for WiiU I'd be on Amazon right now buying it.

Even aesthetically its a wonderful game. Thats actually one of the best things about it.

fertygo

Kill la Kill - 07

Di.. Did I just see Mako cosplaying as Jotaro? Jotaro motherfucking Kujoh?

#Dead

I'm kinda disappointed with the direction into (I blame watching Go Nagai show) but I'll let it slide because I just witnessing Cujoh Mako in action.

Mako's Bizarre Adventure 7

Aside From Mako's amazing Jojo uniform, this episode was just ok. Not as wacky as I have come to expect from this show. Every scene with the Mankanshoku family was ace as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom