• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Kill la Kill 7
Good episode. Those who were underwhelmed were probably expecting too much based on false hype!
Not as good as 5 and 6, but it has the most consistent animation on the show so far the final act was pretty engaging. I like how they used Mako's speech gimmick at the end.

73A5gv4.jpg
i1ibEVd.jpg

Kill la Kill 7

Okay episode. Certainly not the best episode yet.

Mako did earn some of my respect after her speech at the end. I quite liked it when she did that back in EP5, so I'm glad to see her make another one this time.

Still think everyone in her family are horrible characters (including the mom now). Watching this episode certainly didn't help matters at all.

Caladrius

Switching from Eikichi?

I still haven't changed my avatar because I'm now terrified nobody will recognize me if I do. That and I don't usually change avatars much.

Don't worry about it. If people see a new avatar they'll probably take note of the name attached to it.

I change mine every week or so.

Bombless

Clearly you need to find a mentally unstable clingy college-aged Japanese girlfriend of your own.

Also my first real conundrum in ages: I have a great Mako avatar from this episode to use but I also have a great Koko avatar to use, I can't decide which way to go!

Is this what being a harem protag feels like?

Was there to see Miku actually. That was enough japanese
vocaloid
mental instability for the evening. THE END opera is fairly messed up.

As for your conondrum...the only answer is Not Koko.

cajunator

Banned
She's so damn crazy but I love it. So precious.

Linda was also adorable this episode. Still nowhere near Koko levels though.

O-M-G

Linda's nice too. This will get so melodramatic lol.

The structure of Penguin Drum is a sloppy, unfocused mess, with dangling plotlines all over the place and inconsistent development of characters. One of these days I'll rewatch it so I can have a considered second opinion on it, but I don't have a fondness for the show as remembered.

Well how exactly could a story like this be more focused in the first place? Its insane as it is.

Gazoinks

Switching from Eikichi?

I still haven't changed my avatar because I'm now terrified nobody will recognize me if I do. That and I don't usually change avatars much.

I like to change my avatar a lot. I had a different Eikichi one when I started posting, then two different Ryuko ones, then an Inari one. It's a cycle. :p

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kill la Kill 7
Good episode. Those who were underwhelmed were probably expecting too much based on false hype!
Maybe I was just underwhelmed because the pacing was shit, the action sequence lame, with a story set up rushed out and contrived that produced a low intensity ending.

The idea that the animation in this episode was more consistent is laughable. You could tell they cut a billion corners early on just to pour resources into one fight.

cajunator

Banned
Penguindrum 3

So we have a break in-a penguin finds a pair of panties behind the counch, and then que the v̶a̶g̶i̶n̶a̶ curry monologues. Follow that up by stalker girl being confronted by cold hard reality. Then this happens:

Penguindrum_03_158-650x365_zpsb5f91bb8.jpg

Still awesome.

Thats one of the more normal episodes too.

cnet128

Banned
Nagi no Asu Kara 7

My god, the adults in this show really are a bunch of stupid, immature asshats. I hope they all grow fish on their knees, including the land-dwelling ones.

Jarmel

Banned
Maybe I was just underwhelmed because the pacing was shit, the action sequence lame, with a story set up rushed out and contrived that produced a low intensity ending.

The idea that the animation in this episode was more consistent is laughable. You could tell they cut a billion corners early on just to pour resources into one fight.

The pacing was better than most episodes and the story as a whole has seemingly been contrived as fuck already. It's not like the narrative so far has been a bastion of quality and twists so far.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'd love it if Mako's next set of
uniforms were all JoJo tributes.

mako with pompadour omg

I would kill to see her in
Jolyne's outfit

===================================

Kill la Kill - 07

Not one of their stronger episodes but
seeing Jotaro Mako was so fucking boss.
I was hoping that
Satsuki would've been amused enough to let Mako keep the two star uniform, allowing her to fight with Ryuuko. Shit would've been so awesome. ;_;

Branduil

The structure of Penguin Drum is a sloppy, unfocused mess, with dangling plotlines all over the place and inconsistent development of characters. One of these days I'll rewatch it so I can have a considered second opinion on it, but I don't have a fondness for the show as remembered.

I like to think of Penguindrum as the epitome of the saying "the whole is less than the sum of its parts." There are a number of good episodes, even great episodes, but the last few episodes, and the way they resolve, or rather, don't resolve a number of plotlines leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

There were also a few bad and ugly episodes in the middle.

Shergal

They cut a billion corners in every episode, and sometimes they don't even have a decent fight...

CorvoSol

VVV 18

Seriously, though: If your dad is in any way a scientist and you one day find yourself piloting a mecha, I have some very, very bad news for you. If your son should one day start to pilot a giant robot though, I have some GREAT news for you!

zeroshiki

Penguindrum had some fabulous ideas, great art and an interesting story. The problem is that the direction/writing fell apart and we were left with a mess towards the end. I mean, narrative isn't always important but you do need to have one and not just jump randomly around from fever dream to fever dream.

I still liked it overall though.

cajunator

Banned
Penguindrum had some fabulous ideas, great art and an interesting story. The problem is that the direction/writing fell apart and we were left with a mess towards the end. I mean, narrative isn't always important but you do need to have one and not just jump randomly around from fever dream to fever dream.

I still liked it overall though.

Yeah it was inconsistent Ill give you that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The pacing was better than most episodes and the story as a whole has seemingly been contrived as fuck already. It's not like the narrative so far has been a bastion of quality and twists so far.
I don't really find the larger narrative of Kill la Kill to be contrived, and I think the pacing of most episodes is snappy but most moments still have meaning. I mind less when a comedic episode has lots of quick cuts and doesn't really dwell, but it doesn't really work when characters are trying to learn lessons and there's supposed to be some sort of dramatic tension to an episode. It hurts even more when this episode that's supposed to be somewhat more heartfelt essentially
hits the reset button once everything is over.

To me it was a dull episode that tried to step outside the bounds of what the show can do, the result a splattered mess that doesn't really stick. Episode six was also in a place where it felt like it was rushing moments and diluting the impact of the content, but it's less egregious when these things are occurring to a single side character. Those rushed moments were also build up towards the climax, but the most recent episode of Kill la Kill has time skips literally mid climax for characters to magically hit some point where they learn their lesson. It was just sort of lame.

Syrinx

Samurai Flamenco 6

Show's really hitting its stride. Now the dude has gadgets. Kinda hard to believe that it's only been six episodes, as Samumenco has come a long way. This time he's got the whole town chasing him down for his identity, yet he still stops to help anyone who may be in danger.

Scene with Mari and Goto was hilarious. Making him put on the police uniform and trying to go right into the role play. Straight shooter, this one. I like it. I like how she came to the conclusion that he was in love with Samumenco when he rejected her. .

Penguindrum 4
Stalker girl is psychotic
and awesome

Lunch boxes are serious business.

or

Delusions of grandeur:

penguindrum-4-1_zps826c06e3.png

All I could think when I saw that tree was Kibry's Dreamland:

Whispywoods_zpsbca69911.png

It definitely stays great, in fact you haven't even seen the best parts yet.

I would say that Penguindrum is one of my favorite shows from the past 5-10 years.

This is already pretty good in my opinion. I'm just wondering where and if it falls apart now that some people have brought it up.

cajunator

Banned
Penguindrum 4
Stalker girl is psychotic
and awesome

Lunch boxes are serious business.

or

Delusions of grandeur:

penguindrum-4-1_zps826c06e3.png

All I could think when I saw that tree was Kibry's Dreamland:

kirby-super-star-tree-apple-poppy-bros.png

This is already pretty good in my opinion. I'm just wondering where and if it falls apart now that some people have brought it up.

Shes more psychotic than you expect lol.

Defuser

Samurai Flamenco ep 6

Masayoshi is graduating from Japanese kickass to Japanese Batman with his newly acquired gadgets. Won't be long now till we can see his armoured suit.

And Mari is into cosplay foreplay......Nicholson.gif

Penguindrum is an example of how obnoxious overuse of flashbacks can ruin your narrative and destroy any sense of flow or pacing a story has.

Date a Live was a hell of a harem too but not as insufferable. Also dont forget Goro and the twelve angel girls who were formerly his pets (no I didnt make that up).

I know what anime you're talking about cajun , it was the pet doctor that got 12 girls as reincarnated animals ( the ones he took care of ) because the animal were so glad, they wanted to repay the guy ?

I know this anime ....but i forgot the name. Technically it was an harem but it didn't felt like it .

I thought that was Noir.

Noir didn't have that many flashback , plenty of moment where nothing happens and the music is rolling but it wasn't that heavy on flashbacks

I disagree with the last statement, but if you're going to be a fever dream you need to fully commit to be one a la Cat Soup instead of still trying to tell a narrative while lacking coherence.

Branduil

The part where I started getting mad about the unexplained narrative elements was when they introduced the
Shouma/Kanba in cages flashbacks
at the last minute and never made any attempt to explain it. That's when I knew I'd been LOST'd.

The part where I started getting mad about the unexplained narrative elements was when they introduced the
Shouma/Kanba in cages flashbacks
at the last minute and never made any attempt to explain it. That's when I knew I'd been LOST'd.

The thing is that that part was not an introduction of a new concept , it was the solution for all the previous concepts introduced before !!
The hardest to understand was the
child broiler
but other than that it was a very bumpy but nice ride.

zeroshiki

I disagree with the last statement, but if you're going to be a fever dream you need to fully commit to be one a la Cat Soup instead of still trying to tell a narrative while lacking coherence.

We'll have to disagree on the importance of narrative (since that's where this is probably going) I will say though that its not a one act play nor is it a short. It should have been able to tell a story.

Specifically, my problem with the end of Penguindrum was that it was trying to tell a story but everything just jumped around and I had a hard time figuring out which was "reality" and which was symbolism. Now, using symbolism might not be bad in and of itself but overusing it to the point where the viewer is basically reduced to guessing what the whole show was about is not my idea of a good time.

Jintor

My problem with Penguindrum was that for whatever reason it just failed to hold my interest while I was actually watching it. I think I got about 5 episodes in and gave up.

I just wasn't interested.

wonzo

Banned
PenDrum

I'm pretty sure the
Child Broiler
was a metaphor for
societies mistreatment of abandoned kids, basically grinding them down into empty soulless husks of people in the process. It certainly wasn't a literal kid killing machine.

I still don't get what the deal with the cages were tho.

DAMMIT SAVE ME WITH PENGUINBEAR IKUNIIIII

I don't personally think that narratives always have to make sense or resolve in a traditional way, but then I also really like David Lynch.

It's been a while since I've seen Penguindrum, but I don't remember
the cage scenes
at all. Actually, I don't really remember much of the last few episodes other than
the Child Broiler parts
and
the Takakura family being in that Aum Shinrikyo-like cult

I thought Penguindrum's ending was fine, at least by itself. The show fell apart in the middle episodes. The ending was better than what came before it.

Branduil

I don't have any problem with the
child broiler
, that was simple enough to understand. The incoherence of
Kanba's backstory and never explaining how he met Shouma
is a much bigger narrative sin.

cajunator

Banned
I know what anime you're talking about cajun , it was the pet doctor that got 12 girls as reincarnated animals ( the ones he took care of ) because the animal were so glad, they wanted to repay the guy ?

I know this anime ....but i forgot the name. Technically it was an harem but it didn't felt like it .

Noir didn't have that many flashback , plenty of moment where nothing happens and the music is rolling but it wasn't that heavy on flashbacks

Yeah its called Angel Tales.
O2OxvGM.jpg

CorvoSol

This is an "awesome" description.

wonzo

Banned
Penguindrum really fell apart towards the end but the final bit still hurt like hell.

that and episode 9. sanetoshi-sama *swoon*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom