• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chaika: Avenging Battle 2

ibmQBcI758dvin.jpg

Scrolling down the page really fast, it looked like she was practicing guitar.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Right off the bat, I saw no TV censors in this episode
a miracle or is my eyesight getting worse?
. We get a lot of exposition and character backstory for the first half of the episode. Things becomes clear on why the humans gain insect abilities and what happen in previous expeditions to mars. In the second half, we get a taste of what the humans and terrraformers are capable of and a guy going super saiyan on the terraformars. The action only goes up from here folks.

Midonin

PriPara 16

As a reporter for the newspaper Daiyonno Kabe, reporting on a reporter for my journey into the independent city-state of idols feels meta. Though it's technically a theme park, and I hear those are in vogue now. A magical theme park, even. Nene Tokuda is clearly in the mold of Miyo and Mika Masuko, completely with the same dreadful pun in her name. Unknown to me, the theme park does allow entrance as press without becoming an idol.

That they welcome outside press at all is intriguing, since there's a group of local reporter who already covers major interviews and news breaks for the world.

eYQfRD4.jpg

The spy may be the one who's the least suspicious here. Seriously, who's doing human cloning?

Nene's backstory about getting her senpai to notice her because he was obsessed with idols brings PriPara back to the Pretty Rhythm state of things briefly, but the female cast is still more prevalent here, though I fully expect Nene to at least appear in background scenes in the future. It was a fun episode about a reporter realizing her dream as an idol. Maybe she could be an idol reporter. The world is already seeking idol lawyers. Unless Meganee fills all of those positions already.

Yoshino Nanjou did a fine job as Nene. There's also a lot more outfits than Aikatsu at this point, with the tradeoff of fewer songs. Aikatsu is the show I hang out with, PriPara is the show I analyze.

Looking forward to the Halloween episode. The amount of wordplay going on in that title, keep it up, Japan.

Link Man

Banned
Watched the first couple of episodes of Yuki Yuna, honestly found it to be a little boring. Could just be fatigue at this point.

You don't have to worry about MOTW.

Well, let's just say the show itself doesn't get too caught up in it.

Well, like I said, I'm curious to see where they go with it now that it's been introduced, but I'm not worried or expecting too much out of it.

Amagi probably has creepy animatronics like that pizza place that closed down.

At least the pizza place only had four guys running around at night!

Unlike Amagi where there's like, twenty.

Branduil

Amagi Brilliant Park 3

itUj0kUf04LUL.jpg
idxm1lUUSdmgw.jpg

i6JRSI5R8SNC3.jpg
ix5WHMdC3A9OG.jpg

It's a bad sign when your anime has dinosaurs and it's still not very good.

For an anime with such an unusual premise(narcissistic teenager has to save failing theme park), it's disappointing how much this feels like every anime ever. The lack of any humor that's actually derived from the process of running a theme park is such a missed opportunity; a big part of that it the stupid "magic" aspect which removes any realism the show might have had. I can't help but compare it negatively to a show like Shirobako, which manages to be funny while presenting an entirely believable picture of how anime is made.

To be honest if Hyouka didn't exist there's no way I'd still be watching this.

cajunator

Banned
Still haven't seen the Madoka films, kind of lost interest and not too hot on the series in general but I may import the blu-ray and check it out one day.

Movie #3 is the only one that really matters a lot. The others are just prettied up retelling of the original story.

I was so confused during that entire scene but I just rolled with it and the entire movie after it

That scene instantly sold me on the movie and I fell in love with it. Sooooooo cute.
Surreal too, given what Bebe is.

I want to highlight all of these Rebellion spoilers...but to be fair it's not like I haven't been spoiled thanks to the
Devil Homura Figure
being posted everywhere.

One of only a few instances I can think of where a figurine is a spoiler. Madoka Magica is so popular its almost impossible not to be spoiled unfortunately.

Went to my Uni's anime society today, and almost every one we watched was one I hadn't seen.

Detroit Metal City 1-2

This is great, especially the manager I still want to know how the M.C ended up being in a Death Metal band 5 years after he left for Tokyo to write his own "Swedish Pop Music". The second episode gives the other parts of the band more time, and it's hilarious when he turns into his stage alter ego "Krauser",

Space Dandy 1

It's weirder than I expected, somehow reminds me of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Space Brothers 1

A lot better than I expected, I'll actually try to watch the whole thing on Crunchyroll when I have free time from Uni.

Monster 1

Dr. Tenma is a surgeon who seems to be unhappy with his life but is too afraid to change it, he follows the hospital director's orders to save an Opera singer one day instead of a Turkish man who really needed him (since he's the best surgeon in this German hospital), after the Turkish man's wife grabs him and shouts at him for not saving her husband, he starts to doubt himself until he finally flips at the end when the Director tells him to save the mayor instead of a young boy who's been shot in the head (with his Parents murdered, and his twin sister in a shocked state saying "Kill" repeatedly).

Daily Lives of High School Boys (don't know which episode)

This had its funny moments, it has Tomokazu Sugita as one of the voice actors, and it seemed in this episode he had the most lines, which was great, but I can't help but hear Gintoki or Kyon. Still, it was funny, especially the girl with the mole on her back, Tadakuni's Sister a and the "High School Girls are Funky" part.

Other than that, there was Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure episode 4(frog punching Zeppidi), so a pretty good night.

Your Uni club seems amazing and you should support it as much as possible. his is how our Uni club was. We watched everything from Gundam to Eva to Yakitate Japan and even BSSM live action. It was some of the most fun Ive had at college (since I didnt party like a normal student)

fertygo

Regardless you can argue to about Amagi's quality, either bad or good (and I do think Shirobako outclass it at this point with being kinda similar in the premise/genre)

I don't think its generic, if it is, the show already had that happy go round tone with "Lets go guys. ikuzooooo" speech and we have episode with theme park building montage with happy sounding music (I seriously thought its will happen in this week eps with they fixing the park)

but 3 episode in the show still had somewhat apathetic atmosphere against the premise of plot, genre and character design might suggest. Even Shirobako already show that kind of thing I mentioned for show that had large cast that doing something, the cliche "everyone working together" narrative and Amagi still hasn't does that and still playing around "its hopeless vibe", I somewhat like it that way.. I don't expect the show gonna playing around with this kind of mood.

Inou Battle 02

The genericness of it all is starting to get to me. I'll stick with it because Trigger, but its might have to be through gritted teeth.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Turn A Fin:
No length post. By the end, I just wanted it to be over. Definitely had my fill of Tomino for the next decade.

ZoddGutts

Nanatsu no Taizai any good?

Fun series. Love the manga and so far the anime has been a great adaptation of it. Not a repeat of the distarious Magi anime adaptation. If you enjoy shonen anime but everyone is freaking OP from the very start then you'll enjoy it. The best characters haven't shown up yet, should show up soon.

Jarmel

Banned
I mentioned this earlier in that Shirobako and Amagi are similar in that they're both shows that examine businesses but they vary in so many other areas such as focus and storytelling method, that I feel it's somewhat unfair to compare the two.

Shirobako is focused on portraying a realistic view of the anime industry (albeit with some surrealist touches). There's an emphasis not only on details but giving the audience an appreciation for how all these various elements come together.

Amagi on the otherhand is more interested with telling a narrative. The endpoint of the narrative being whether Kanye can save the park or not. Amagi isn't so interested in filling the audience in with the minor hows and whys but rather the bigger points. Amagi also is closer to being a full fantasy anime rather than something realistic. The premise of Amagi is just that, in that it's setup that allows the fantasy elements to come into play. If Amagi was realistic, Latifah/Sento would have grabbed a random dude with a MBA rather than some high school student.

I also think the variation in premises for both shows impact the storytelling method to an extent. Shirobako so far is about how a studio deals with the whimsical changes of a director and staying on budget. It's nothing too out there and so the methods/actions of the characters are in a 'normal' range. Amagi however has Kanye try to do something damn near impossible and so it requires for him to try every zany thing he can come up with.

mankoto

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru 2
Happy to see that Togo got over her issue so quickly. But, damn she's quite the sharpshooter.

Someone only watched the first 10 mins
I saw the whole thing and I really enjoyed it. Although in the back of my mind I was fixated on that point and that's all I was able to write down.

Branduil

Mushishi 9

The central paradox was interesting, as was seeing Ginko's morally questionable actions, but this episode felt a bit weaker than the others, both in its narrative and visual presentation.

TUSR

Banned
Nisekoi OVA

Onodera > Tsugumi > Chitoge > Marika

Nothing really happened, first half Ruri tried to get Raku and Kosaki together but they did on their own. Raku is blind, missing glasses, etc.

Second half was better, shrine maidens looked nice.

When I started Nisekoi months ago I hadn't watched a lot of anime at the time, now watching this I can't help but see SHAFT being SHAFT.

I missed this show, for some reason I like it. It will also never end.

duckroll

I mentioned this earlier in that Shirobako and Amagi are similar in that they're both shows that examine businesses but they vary in so many other areas such as focus and storytelling method, that I feel it's somewhat unfair to compare the two.

Yeah it's pretty unfair, since one is a good show and the other is a bad show.

Caesnd

Gundam Build Fighters Try

I liked the homage/nod to Naochika Morishita in the first episode. Small things like that are always fun to see.

Even a Yoshiyuki Takani poster!

Branduil

Yeah it's pretty unfair, since one is a good show and the other is a bad show.

You stole my post.

Shirobako is focused on portraying a realistic view of the anime industry (albeit with some surrealist touches). There's an emphasis not only on details but giving the audience an appreciation for how all these various elements come together.

Amagi on the otherhand is more interested with telling a narrative. The endpoint of the narrative being whether Kanye can save the park or not. Amagi isn't so interested in filling the audience in with the minor hows and whys but rather the bigger points. Amagi also is closer to being a full fantasy anime rather than something realistic. The premise of Amagi is just that, in that it's setup that allows the fantasy elements to come into play. If Amagi was realistic, Latifah/Sento would have grabbed a random dude with a MBA rather than some high school student.

I also think the variation in premises for both shows impact the storytelling method to an extent. Shirobako so far is about how a studio deals with the whimsical changes of a director and staying on budget. It's nothing too out there and so the methods/actions of the characters are in a 'normal' range. Amagi however has Kanye try to do something damn near impossible and so it requires for him to try every zany thing he can come up with.
The problem is that the journey an anime takes is more important than the destination. If you make an anime about theme parks, it would be more interesting if it was an actual depiction of theme parks and the problems that arise trying to run one, instead of just using the unique premise as an excuse for same-ol' anime BS.

javac

Movie #3 is the only one that really matters a lot. The others are just prettied up retelling of the original story.

One of only a few instances I can think of where a figurine is a spoiler. Madoka Magica is so popular its almost impossible not to be spoiled unfortunately.

Yeah the 3rd movie seems to be the one to watch but I'll probably watch all 3 back to back in order to refresh myself and get reacquainted with everyone. I'll do so soon when I get time.

The figure spoiling things is unfortunate but I guess I still have no idea of the implications and such so I'll live.

cajunator

Banned
Oh wow I got a shipment that I wasnt notified about lol. My mental choices (the one with Chocolat) and Hidamari Sketch Hoshimittsu. Still no sign of the shipment with Illya though.
I have no idea how the hell they lost THAT one package and not like every other one Ive ever received.

TUSR

Banned
SHIROBAKO - 1

I actually... really like this show.

More people need to watch this.

As far as production goes, does anyone know how accurate it is?

Jex

Turn A Fin:
No length post. By the end, I just wanted it to be over. Definitely had my fill of Tomino for the next decade.

Should have had some coffee and watched Anne of Green Gables instead!

Although, really, this is true of 99% of anime.

Haly

Should have had some coffee and watched Anne of Green Gables instead!

Although, really, this is true of 99% of anime.

Maybe if Anne was a brown nudist from the moon.

fertygo

The problem is that the journey an anime takes is more important than the destination. If you make an anime about theme parks, it would be more interesting if it was an actual depiction of theme parks and the problems that arise trying to run one, instead of just using the unique premise as an excuse for same-ol' anime BS.
Like I said this is untrue, an story where an group trying to achieve/approach their goals/work in positive manner like Shirobako is more common, Amagi not even had those staple "we got it guys" like Shirobako already pull in yesterday eps yet. I definitely seeing more thing with similar development as Shirobako than Amagi, but of course that doesn't equate to being better

Shergal

I think you're misreading the tone of that scene in Shirobako. They're inspired sure, but the production is still a goddamn mess, the animation director for episode 4 is bed-ridden and the director is shown to be incompetent at managing the project. The nerdy enthusiasm is exaggerated to a point where the staff get completely divorced from reality and start hallucinating characters in the room. It's an observant scene, not to be taken at face value, and that's where the humour comes from.

Haly

These modern anime viewers have no patience. They want everything to be brown nudists and robot fighting.

Tell me you wouldn't watch an anime retelling of a literary classic with brown nudists and robots.

Just pick a book, any book.

Like Crime and Punishment, except Raskolnikov is a tanned stripper from space and he occasionally pilots giant robots.

Instead of stealing Ivanova's jewelry, he steals her Gundam, and then has to hide it.

Haly

He'd freeze to death and that would be that, though. Russian winters.

He'd use the beam saber for heat, obviously.

Another one: Edmond Dantes, the brown, platinum blond hair nudist is framed for a crime of conspiracy and sentenced to life in the moon prison. Eventually, he breaks out and finds the "Gundam" left to him by Abbe Faria. Using the "Gundam", he embarks on a long, profitable career as a space pirate before returning to Earth, disguised with an opera mask, to wreck vengeance on those who betrayed him.

cajunator

Banned
Twintails 1

I queued.

I watched.

I laughed.

Most entertaining show of the season without doubt.

Don't know if this was posted yet, but for those complaining about Parasyte's sound design on Migi, here is an explanation on why it sounds like that

This is...this is wonderful!! Also really adorable too!

Yuuki Yuuna was Yuusha de Aru 1
The tag said slice of life. This is not slice of life.

Its slice of mahou shoujo.

These designs keep getting worse.

Vivi looks a bit strange but Chaika's design is absolutely goddess-tier perfection. Im an expert on cute. I know these things.

Taruranto

Amagi Brilliant Park 3

For an anime with such an unusual premise(narcissistic teenager has to save failing theme park), it's disappointing how much this feels like every anime ever. The lack of any humor that's actually derived from the process of running a theme park is such a missed opportunity; a big part of that it the stupid "magic" aspect which removes any realism the show might have had. I can't help but compare it negatively to a show like Shirobako, which manages to be funny while presenting an entirely believable picture of how anime is made.

To be honest if Hyouka didn't exist there's no way I'd still be watching this.

That's because the actual premise is "Joe meets tits and gets magical girlfriends".

... which is the premise of every anime ever, these days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom