• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 8:

So at last we get the showcase in Minako and she fares much better then the original anime series, but then again it would truly be a marvel for them to fuck up as badly as they did with Minako in Sailor Moon Season 1. Still, the problems with this Minako are endemic to the larger problems with the overall production. I can understand why they wanted to ditch some of the pointless comedy added to the original anime series but Sailor Moon was never meant to be super serious all the god damned time.
This time around they nailed much of the tragic and lonely side of Minako. The seasoned veteran who has been training and guiding them all this time who has trouble integrating into the team. What they failed to add was the fact that she isn't some kind of brooding Batman character, in spite of all the shit she had to walk through she remains a very upbeat character who has dreams and goals outside of her mission, like becoming a pop idol.
In case it was not evident, Minako is my favorite of the inner scouts and while it is good that they have retained the majority of elements that made her such an interesting character but they still fall short of the mark. Oh yea, other stuff happened, don't really care quite honestly.

selector spread WIXOSS - 03

Bjubkcf.jpg

The best.

This has easily been my favorite airing this season. The story seems to refuse to allow any character more than a few brief moments of happiness before snatching is away at some later point in the story. Akira was always an unstable character, but watching her go from someone who is simply unstable and cruel in battle to someone whose's feelings, mental state and instability is being manipulated due to her desire to be loved has been quite intriguing. I'm not sure what Ulith's gameplan is with her though, is she truly in love with Akira or is she simply enjoying watching and driving Akira insane to the point where it seem more and more likely that she will be driven to kill rather than battle?

Also Ru's bittersweet reunion with Tama was totally expected. I mean that honestly is the only direction for this story to go. "Sure, you can see Tama again Ru, with the knowledge that you will have to fight her one day despite your internal struggle against fighting to keep your friends happy!"

Twintails 02

Not as exciting as the first episode, but still pretty funny. Glad I picked this up.

PSYCHO-PASS S2 02

I'm honestly enjoying this beginning much more than I enjoyed the beginning of the first season. I love seeing Akane's character development from the doe eyed rookie to a person who has learned the turn nature of the system she enforces to now the vet who fully understands the system she works under and actively works against it in ways that barely cross the line. It only makes sense that she would have a partner who's a rookie who hot-headed and doesn't agree with her ways. There wouldn't been a interesting intercharacter dynamics since all the Enforcers seem to like Akane's style since she doesn't treat them badly. I'm also enjoying the fact the story seems to have gotten started early whereas in the first season the story didn't really feel like it kicked into gear much later, but maybe I'm mis-remembering things. Anyone else notice that most if not all of the inspectors are women and the same goes for the Enforcers except their men?

I saw the whole thing and I really enjoyed it. Although in the back of my mind I was fixated on that point and that's all I was able to write down.

That's not what i was saying .

*I was saying that if someone tag "slice of life " for this show , that ean they only saw the first 10 minutes .. i was agreeing with you.

Went to my Uni's anime society today, and almost every one we watched was one I hadn't seen.

Detroit Metal City 1-2

This is great, especially the manager I still want to know how the M.C ended up being in a Death Metal band 5 years after he left for Tokyo to write his own "Swedish Pop Music". The second episode gives the other parts of the band more time, and it's hilarious when he turns into his stage alter ego "Krauser",

Space Dandy 1

It's weirder than I expected, somehow reminds me of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Space Brothers 1

A lot better than I expected, I'll actually try to watch the whole thing on Crunchyroll when I have free time from Uni.

Monster 1

Dr. Tenma is a surgeon who seems to be unhappy with his life but is too afraid to change it, he follows the hospital director's orders to save an Opera singer one day instead of a Turkish man who really needed him (since he's the best surgeon in this German hospital), after the Turkish man's wife grabs him and shouts at him for not saving her husband, he starts to doubt himself until he finally flips at the end when the Director tells him to save the mayor instead of a young boy who's been shot in the head (with his Parents murdered, and his twin sister in a shocked state saying "Kill" repeatedly).

Daily Lives of High School Boys (don't know which episode)

This had its funny moments, it has Tomokazu Sugita as one of the voice actors, and it seemed in this episode he had the most lines, which was great, but I can't help but hear Gintoki or Kyon. Still, it was funny, especially the girl with the mole on her back, Tadakuni's Sister a and the "High School Girls are Funky" part.

Other than that, there was Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure episode 4(frog punching Zeppidi), so a pretty good night.

Looks like you've got a pretty good society there. Keep supporting it and you'll have a great time! I've been to my one for the last three years at uni and it's been great and I've watched a bunch of new great stuff there and made a lot of great friends from it.

Midonin

Sailor Moon Crystal 08

I remember Minako playing princess in the toku version too, but since that had a full year to work with, it went on for much longer, and also took the form of a silver crown. She also went on about THE MISSION, an aspect that's all but absent here. I know Toei was originally going to make a Sailor V OVA before Moon became a thing, and while it's not quite perfect, seeing some of Minako's actions as V was a nice treat. At least Minako is getting some time to herself before getting hijacked by the plot, compared to the classic anime at least.

Jarmel

Banned
The problem is that the journey an anime takes is more important than the destination. If you make an anime about theme parks, it would be more interesting if it was an actual depiction of theme parks and the problems that arise trying to run one, instead of just using the unique premise as an excuse for same-ol' anime BS.

Well so far, the character actions are linked to the premise so things aren't for the most part as divorced as you make it sound. It's not like the park is going under and Kanye is still going to high school while having harem hijinks. The show is keeping the focus on him managing. Also the way that the narrative is setup again limits what he can and can't do. Ordinarily the park would close down and that would be the end of the story. Boring, right? So the fantasy element is somewhat necessary to justify the entire scenario. So far other than the magic memory bullets (which the show heavily restricts the use of), Kanye's solutions have been very normal actually. Decreasing ticket price, extending hours, opening Friday, and using girls to advertise as you have no budget, are all very basic 101 stuff that most people would try to attempt.

Hanayamata 06

Always assume the worst.

Now they have to come up with a logo and a direction for the yosakoi group and then there's the old 'you all have to do this good at a school test before doing this thing'. At least there's a less common outcome...

And when one good thing happens, another bad thing also happens. No break from all the drama.

LOG HORIZON S2 - 03

Raid are serious business, especially when it's a new one with install kills , tricks and hidden countdowns.

i'm looking at you second coil of bahamut ( FF14ARR )

Anyway , in Log horizon that must even harsher given the penality

Anyway , demikas is angry ( news at 11 ) , shiroe is thinking , naotsugu is watching , Now we'll go back to akihabara to see what happens in this town next week :)

Normal episode where not much happens , but it did a good job showing how stupidly stupidly hard some raids in Mmos can be.

Like I said this is untrue, an story where an group trying to achieve/approach their goals/work in positive manner like Shirobako is more common, Amagi not even had those staple "we got it guys" like Shirobako already pull in yesterday eps yet. I definitely seeing more thing with similar development as Shirobako than Amagi, but of course that doesn't equate to being better

Shirobako isn't really doing those staple things. Yeah, they pulled together and bonded over one specific thing, but the production is still kind of a mess, they've got no lead time on the animation process, and the director doesn't even know how the final episode is going to play out. What Shirobako is doing is trying to be honest. It's showing us the highs of them all getting fired up and pulling together, but also the realities of their situation and the difficulties of the animation process. It never doesn't feel like a completely genuine production.

Amagi mostly just feels like standard anime stuff, except they happen to be in a theme park.

Well so far, the character actions are linked to the premise so things aren't for the most part as divorced as you make it sound. It's not like the park is going under and Kanye is still going to high school while having harem hijinks. The show is keeping the focus on him managing. Also the way that the narrative is setup again limits what he can and can't do. Ordinarily the park would close down and that would be the end of the story. Boring, right? So the fantasy element is somewhat necessary to justify the entire scenario. So far other than the magic memory bullets (which the show heavily restricts the use of), Kanye's solutions have been very normal actually. Decreasing ticket price, extending hours, opening Friday, and using girls to advertise as you have no budget, are all very basic 101 stuff that most people would try to attempt.

While these things could all be decent ways to improve the theme park, the show has been a lot more interested in showing us constant scenes of Moffle and Kanie fighting or random fanservice. The amount of time in episode 3 that was actually dedicated to saving the theme park probably amounted to around five minutes or so. The rest was constant Moffle antics (every scene with him is pretty much exactly the same) or random fanservice, or setting up a silly Kanie/Isuzu love story.

Jarmel

Banned
While these things could all be decent ways to improve the theme park, the show has been a lot more interested in showing us constant scenes of Moffle and Kanie fighting or random fanservice. The amount of time in episode 3 that was actually dedicated to saving the theme park probably amounted to around five minutes or so. The rest was constant Moffle antics (every scene with him is pretty much exactly the same) or random fanservice, or setting up a silly Kanie/Isuzu love story.

Well the fanservice isn't random, it is justified in the context of the situation and story. Episode 1's ass shot was random but I mentioned that's a holdover from the light novels, where it was probably needed more. As for Fumoffu and Kanye fighting, it felt more out of place in the 2nd episode rather than here. Fumoffu's a washed up dumbass who is stuck in the antiquated traditions of the company rather than trying to actually fix it. His trope of being the employee, who is focused on history and traditions, isn't really new. Avatar's season 4 for example, is really mired around a similar situation. I do think they need to tone him down a bit, and it seems the show is heading in that direction anyway. The 2nd time he fought Kanye was actually pretty well justified. Imagine if you're sickly niece/daughter was forced/coerced into wearing a micro-bikini in winter. Most parents would absolutely lose their shit. I think this was a fuckup on the part of the direction in that it should have been a more serious moment rather than something played up for laughs.

Midonin

Vanadis 03

Mostly battles, so once again I feel like I don't have a whole lot to say. The dynamic between Tigre and Ellen is pretty fun, and those trick shots at the end were pretty neat. I'm wondering when the other girls are going to show up, though. They're the main reason I started watching this.

jbug617

Banned

Jex

[Log Hoirzon S2] - 3

"Like Log Horizon S1 but not as good in all areas but I'll still watch it anyway" continues to be the mantra for this show. It's acceptable, but nothing more.

Hanayamata 07

Haha. This scene... They just knew what would happen with this didn't they?

There's lots of drama in this episode as expected after what happened in the last one. Other than that there's fluffy ears and tails.

Madan no Ou to Vanadis episode 03
This episode clearly shows no budget.
But on the other hand at least i know what's going on there, i will still give anime staff credit for this episode.
And in memory of Zion-sama
Tdv4hOM.jpg

Vanadis 03

Mostly battles, so once again I feel like I don't have a whole lot to say. The dynamic between Tigre and Ellen is pretty fun, and those trick shots at the end were pretty neat. I'm wondering when the other girls are going to show up, though. They're the main reason I started watching this.
You mean other Vanadis? the blue hair one should be show up in next episode.

Well the fanservice isn't random, it is justified in the context of the situation and story. Episode 1's ass shot was random but I mentioned that's a holdover from the light novels, where it was probably needed more. As for Fumoffu and Kanye fighting, it felt more out of place in the 2nd episode rather than here. Fumoffu's a washed up dumbass who is stuck in the antiquated traditions of the company rather than trying to actually fix it. His trope of being the employee, who is focused on history and traditions, isn't really new. Avatar's season 4 for example, is really mired around a similar situation. I do think they need to tone him down a bit, and it seems the show is heading in that direction anyway. The 2nd time he fought Kanye was actually pretty well justified. Imagine if you're sickly niece/daughter was forced/coerced into wearing a micro-bikini in winter. Most parents would absolutely lose their shit. I think this was a fuckup on the part of the direction in that it should have been a more serious moment rather than something played up for laughs.

The biggest issue I have with these fights is that they all play out exactly the same, with the exact same 'comedy' present in all of them. It feels like that one drunk friend who keeps telling the same joke and everyone kind of awkwardly chuckles and thinks about how annoying he is. Moffle in general is just such a one note character that he really just about kills the show for me. His scenes are such a drag to get through, and the last two episodes have had so much of him in them.

duckroll

So it seems Garo is 2-cours after all. Michio Mihara tweeted that he finished the storyboards for episode 16 and will move on to storyboarding episode 20 next. Not sure if I'll have to patience to keep watching it considering the length. Will probably decide after 5 episodes or so.

sonicmj1

Log Horizon 2 3

The explanation of raid tactics was interesting in the same kind of way that the low-level dungeon tactics of last season were, but this wasn't a very interesting episode. The way the episode explored Demikas and William's mindset just felt like rehashing already-covered ground. I don't feel like my time is well-used when I watch this show.

It's not horrible, but in a season this good I can cut anything mediocre. I'll come back to this when it's done so I can marathon it the way I did for season 1.

Jex

Remember when Log Horizon was a high budget show? That's right, never, but somehow S2 seems to make the original look amazing in retrospect.

Jarmel

Banned
The biggest issue I have with these fights is that they all play out exactly the same, with the exact same 'comedy' present in all of them. It feels like that one drunk friend who keeps telling the same joke and everyone kind of awkwardly chuckles and thinks about how annoying he is. Moffle in general is just such a one note character that he really just about kills the show for me. His scenes are such a drag to get through, and the last two episodes have had so much of him in them.

Part of my issue is that many of Fumoffu's scenes really don't need to be played up for laughs. Some of the things he has issues with, are legitimate. The problem is the way the show is communicating his feelings, is overblown. That said, the end of the episode was a step in the right direction in that Fumoffu still hates Kanye but also understands his own place.

Also some types of comedy are heavily based on repetition. Kaname from FMP always hit Sousuke with those paper fans.

So it seems Garo is 2-cours after all. Michio Mihara tweeted that he finished the storyboards for episode 16 and will move on to storyboarding episode 20 next. Not sure if I'll have to patience to keep watching it considering the length. Will probably decide after 5 episodes or so.

I'm down with it. The show has been competent enough so far.

Jex

Really? That material doesn't seem worth 2 cours.

sonicmj1

Remember when Log Horizon was a high budget show? That's right, never, but somehow S2 seems to make the original look amazing in retrospect/

It's more a matter of how they prioritize than budget. This episode has a plot-light combat sequence that runs through the entire first half of the episode to demonstrate raiding, so eventually they reach a point where they can't afford to do much more than the bare minimum.

Luckily, they saved enough money to have Tetra cast an energetically-animated healing spell.

Member876

Banned
I started watching Terra Formars and it really is all kinds of bad. I was expecting something from this show since it was scifi and it had Steins;Gate's director on board. Too bad there isn't anything to like about the show, well except it is so bad that it's hard not to watch it. How am I supposed to take the cockroach army seriously? They are just kinda goofy looking and not menacing at all. It is kinda interesting that they are offing people left and right in this show, but since the characters are all awful, I don't mind them getting killed.

Midonin

Every Garo series since the original has been two cours, so not that surprising the anime is. There's also plenty of movies and spinoffs to go with it.

Log Horizon S2 03

D4TgFH5.jpg

If you're curious about the raid comp.
Wow, watching and listening to Shiroe talk about raids sure brought me back to my Ragnarok Online and FFXIV: ARR days. Really shows that the author actually knows what the fuck he's talking about when it comes to raids and the challenges a players has to face within them. It also went to show despite how powerful Shiroe and his raid comrades are its still an extremely hard fight. I know a lot of people in this thread prefer hearing world building, but you can't have an anime about an MMO and completely ignore one of the hugest parts of it which is going on raids and thinking of strategies to defeat the raid boss, even better is the fact they only have their own experience and trial and error to go in order to figure out how to defeat it. The fight with the first raid boss really helps show people not all the familiar with MMOs how much can go into a boss fight.

Really like the fact we got to hear some nice banter from some of the other raid members besides just Shiroe and the other main characters. I also wanted to note holy shit at them being in the raid for nearly a month.

Baby Steps 17:
I kind of figured that's how things were going to end, but the result was pretty enjoyable since we got to see how both players evolved over the course of the match. Ei-chan has made a pretty strong showing in this tournament, so it makes sense that he'd be thinking more about his future as a tennis player. It's kind of crazy that someone could get to this level so fast, but most things he's done have felt believable.

And that shot totally looked out to me; I'm calling bullshit.

Link Man

Banned
Log Horizon S2E3

For me, this is the episode that finally captured the feel of season 1 once more. Some excellent character moments (that song during William's introspection was pretty great) and that wonderful exploration of the game world's mechanics. Also, bows that double as harps, genius.

fertygo

Shirobako isn't really doing those staple things. Yeah, they pulled together and bonded over one specific thing, but the production is still kind of a mess, they've got no lead time on the animation process, and the director doesn't even know how the final episode is going to play out. What Shirobako is doing is trying to be honest. It's showing us the highs of them all getting fired up and pulling together, but also the realities of their situation and the difficulties of the animation process. It never doesn't feel like a completely genuine production.

Amagi mostly just feels like standard anime stuff, except they happen to be in a theme park.
The point is Shirobako clearly setting more energetic tone than Amagi, with all the character seem painted enjoying their work despite the content itself focused on how rough their work, its came out in positive tone. Meanwhile Amagi potrayed their group dynamic in very opposite spectrum atm.. there's distrust and apathy, the setting on disarray etc and even the most played track for the OST is "Sad piano theme : help our home" the tone is quite bleak for its kind of show..

So I can't recall what recent workplace show that similar to Amagi tone, meanwhile I can think a few for Shirobako..

Midonin

Touka Gettan 21-26 + Final Thoughts

There's some interesting things going on these last few episodes. I especially liked the way episode 21 was presented entirely in black and white, right down to the opening, until the fabric was brought out and Touka and Momoka dressed up. It's a very striking image.

Episode 22 was the toughest to watch. Momoka's bullying, including the
condom in the lunchbox
, was not being played for laughs, and knowing that it comes earlier in the story actually makes it easier to get through. The viewer knows it will get better, because it does.

Episode 25's talk show/meta format was a good way to make things clear for those who haven't been paying attention, though for me, things were very clear by that point. It also featured more Shouko, and Shouko was probably the best character in the entire show. Doesn't matter where, doesn't matter how, she's going to be driving and showing the triplets the what for.

While the series could be watched in reverse/chronological order, temporarily disorienting myself from the question of "What happens next?" made other questions like, "What does this mean?" and "What was the motivation?" become more prominent. It's not an easy series to get into, especially not for the first few episodes. By the end, I was invested in it. The Shinto/Buddhism themes held my attention, and the comedy was certainly "anime-style". I watch anime for anime-style things, so I didn't mind, though I can see how others would find it jarring.

Opening and ending are both really good songs. I need to listen to the character song album at some point, if all the music is as good as those two songs. I'm satisfied with it.

The next backlog shows I'm going to try out are the Someday's Dreamers series, with a short break for Real Bout High School between seasons.

cajunator

Banned
gdgd Fairies 06

Pop-up pirate with a real pirate. Fun.

The moneys are evolving too fast, no talking segment and lots of magic spring. Oh, and a dancing nazi in an arcade.

Probably the most nonsense show Ive ever seen, and that includes Cat soup.

Hanayamata 07

Haha. This scene... They just knew what would happen with this didn't they?

There's lots of drama in this episode as expected after what happened in the last one. Other than that there's fluffy ears and tails.

BEST EPISODE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom