• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

Uhh.. I really don't know why I keep watching this. I'm really not enjoying this whole raid story as it doesn't have many memorable character moments it's just more MMO fights which aren't that good. Hope it can get past this arc soon.

Lain

Argevollen 1-15

Really predictable show with so-so action sometimes. None of the characters grabbed me me particularly. The spa part of the resort episode, with the girls basically all orgasm-ing together while getting a massage felt both unneeded and welcome.

K is getting a sequel of some kind.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-18/k-anime-project-gets-sequel-in-2015/.80070

TN8WVnN.jpg

Hope its a TV series this time, still waiting to see the movie since well its not on BD, and there wereno theaters close to me showing it.

2015 will be a great year for angela, please me on this (well angela staff did tweet about it, so I guess its likely), and angela on Fafner sequel! 2015 hurry!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 3:

This is an episode that showcases what is truly wonderful about Log Horizon, it has raids, it understands raids, and uses raids in proper context, none of this Kirito bullshit here.

Midonin

Sword Art Online II 15

I've said it before, but yes, Kawahara was an amateur, and the thing about amateurs is that most of them can improve. Accel World is proof of that, and though it took three cours to get there, I feel like this arc is actually more in line with what I was expecting the show to be. Kirito's still kind of an asshole, but he has a cast of largely likable people around him (I'm including Suguha in that. I like her.), where everyone's achievements matter, and he can't do everything, nor is he planning to. I also prefer ALO to GGO, since a bright, vibrant fantasy world captures the eye better than the gray on brown on another gray of that world. And ALO has catgirl Sinon with most of her trauma worked out.

I like the new OP and ED, and while the first episode was a wee bit heavy on the Norse-flavored exposition near the end, I genuinely enjoyed this. No conspiracies, just a group of friends off on an adventure. There's always room for improvement!

Future card Buddyfight Episode 41 (engDub)
B0Oi2_4CAAIe_0s.jpg
B0OivhzCAAAmmKS.jpg

Best punk rocker in anime, we need more Davida Yamazaki's now.

Excellent duel though,
the new IMPACT card was epic, all the details and everything with it too. But also GAO FUTUREFORCE confirmed finally

Blusby

Fate/stay night ep 02: Terrible episode, it was mostly spent repeating information that the viewer already knew or can infer. I really hope Ufo isn't planning on including all the infodumping scenes cause damn are they terrible.

BonKoi Episode 2
B0O1gXcCQAAeDJg.jpg

Best one even if not as pretty as everyone elses cooking scenes, but to me, he is the best looking, thankfully the lead character can see it, maybe others will too.

I hope he passes, looked like he was struggling abit.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 2: LOUD ROAR OF YOUR FISTTTTTT

The Plamo club president sure is one lucky dude

xVD992t.jpg

wShYx16.png

So the middle school and high school are in the same school? Still confused about how Hoshino calls the creepy plamo president senpai if she's a third year.

Terraformars Episode 4
tumblr_ndnhj4E3Sw1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_ndnhj4E3Sw1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Best episode so far, they did this whole moment incredible well. Only thing holding it back was the style but otherwise perfect. All the Marcos emotions, and everyone giving him his moment. Definitely one of the reasons I love this series, now Akari, and Alex needs their time to shine. Best 3

duckroll

Gundam Build Fighters Try 2: LOUD ROAR OF YOUR FISTTTTTT

The Plamo club president sure is one lucky dude

So the middle school and high school are in the same school? Still confused about how Hoshino calls the creepy plamo president senpai if she's a third year.

Yes. It's a combined campus. Sekai and Yuuma are second year middle schoolers. Fumina is a third year middle schooler. Mirai is a second year high schooler. Mantishead is a third year high schooler.

It's more a matter of how they prioritize than budget. This episode has a plot-light combat sequence that runs through the entire first half of the episode to demonstrate raiding, so eventually they reach a point where they can't afford to do much more than the bare minimum.

Luckily, they saved enough money to have Tetra cast an energetically-animated healing spell.
PERFECT use of PRIORITIES
The fact that they actually take time for the tetora/naotsugu blanter talk is even more important.
Log Horizon S2 03

Wow, watching and listening to Shiroe talk about raids sure brought me back to my Ragnarok Online and FFXIV: ARR days. Really shows that the author actually knows what the fuck he's talking about when it comes to raids and the challenges a players has to face within them. It also went to show despite how powerful Shiroe and his raid comrades are its still an extremely hard fight. I know a lot of people in this thread prefer hearing world building, but you can't have an anime about an MMO and completely ignore one of the hugest parts of it which is going on raids and thinking of strategies to defeat the raid boss, even better is the fact they only have their own experience and trial and error to go in order to figure out how to defeat it. The fight with the first raid boss really helps show people not all the familiar with MMOs how much can go into a boss fight.

Really like the fact we got to hear some nice banter from some of the other raid members besides just Shiroe and the other main characters. I also wanted to note holy shit at them being in the raid for nearly a month.

To think that 24 players groups isn't even the limit .Limit is 96 !!! CRAZY.
And yeah if you play MMO endgame content , you're right at home with this episode first part. Cancelling an attack or stunning an BOSS to prevent a WIPE is like "the basic" of stupidly hard dongeons in MMOs

"oh no the pattern is different now !"

Midonin

Waremete 03

So at least some of the ghost incident wasn't a hoax. Not sure what Yui has to do with it either, but things are maintaining my interest. Plus it has some of the best English in anime this season.

PERFECT use of PRIORITIES
The fact that they actually take time for the tetora/naotsugu blanter talk is even more important.

To think that 24 players groups isn't even the limit .Limit is 96 !!! CRAZY.
And yeah if you play MMO endgame content , you're right at home with this episode first part. Cancelling an attack or stunning an BOSS to prevent a WIPE is like "the basic" of stupidly hard dongeons in MMOs

"oh no the pattern is different now !"
That moment when one of them asked about the healers and someone said: "The healers are all wiped out!"

I'm like yep this fight is OVER.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sword Art Online 2's second ED is Kirito dreaming, in black and white flashbacks, of all the girls he knows being molested or peeped on. Including his cousin.

Midonin

Fate/stay night UBW 02

I'm glad to be back to a regular-length running time. I've heard this exposition a lot, so I could focus on other things about this episode. I still think Shiro's not a bad guy, just naive. It's been a while since I've seen Illya and Rin in a context where they're pitted against each other instead of being friends/fellow magical girls. If Ruby was here, she'd know just what to say. Probably snarking at Kirei. The exposition does take on a different tone having seen F/Z, so for giving me a new perspective, thank you producers for forcing my hand on that one.

That moment when one of them asked about the healers and someone said: "The healers are all wiped out!"

I'm like yep this fight is OVER.
NO TANKS ( dead or petrified ) , not HEALERS ( knocked out of the level or DEAD ) .

Reminded me of one time againt TITAN HARD ( FF14 ARR ) , fun times ???

http://a.pomf.se/fgefjh.webm

We lose the date scene, but in exchange we still get the food on the cheek scene and Lim gushing over the teddy bear.

I am completely fine with this.

cajun must'nt clic on that link unless....

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
SAO2 - 15

It warms my heart to see Shion take her rightful place in the supporting cast group right along Lizbeth where they can be forever-alone together far far away from the MCs.

#losers

EDIT: I should add the new opening, which I love (though the OP/ED music from S1 are still the best in the series), makes this deliciously obvious. Still loving the fact they highlight Kirito and Kline are still really tight.

jman2050

FSN UBW 02

Yeah this is about what I expected from a faithful adaptation of this part of the VN. At least there's always some enjoyment to be had when Kotomine says, well, just about anything.

And it's still better than F/Z's first episode.

Jex

FSN UBW 02

Yeah this is about what I expected from a faithful adaptation of this part of the VN. At least there's always some enjoyment to be had when Kotomine says, well, just about anything.

And it's still better than F/Z's first episode.

Lowest hurdle, etc.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Amazing. Can't wait to see this.
...no.

Some of SAO2's fanservice is almost subliminally inserted at this point. Like...it lasts for a single frame, as though they wanted to put something in but wanted nobody to be aware of it.
nsfw follows of weird illogical frame by frame:
one, two, three
This all goes by in less than a second. Bizarre. Really jarring too.

Nobunaga Concerto Episode 1 (drama version)
At times its somewhat different than the anime was (thought the OP visuals is kind of the same except in Live Action style instead of anime, and a different song). I kind of like it when its different as its often just as dramatic as the anime storyline. The drama is really great especially, with the wife moments, Nobuyuki,
the argument outside the place to meet the wifes brother, as well as the capture scene at the end of battle and the teary eyes
, and general moments with Tsune-chan. Tsune gave the best bond and friendship moments with Saburo, their strong dedication and everything.

Will definitely keep watching especially for.
B0QE1ozCIAAO8Q1.png

Gundam Episode 1: G....G...G

MC is soooo annoying, half the dialogue is filled with techno babble, alien girl is already annoying with her ggggggg and the story really did nothing to captivate the viewer. I'm not familiar with the Gundam series but from the only series I have watched, Gundam 00, I remember the opening episode being so much better. I remember wanting to watch the next episode straight away. The only highlight was the art style (?) which looked nice. Why should I watch episode 2? Why was the OT dedicated to this? Are people disappointed by it or did it live up to the "hype"?

Jex

Sword Art Online 2's second ED is Kirito dreaming, in black and white flashbacks, of all the girls he knows being molested or peeped on. Including his cousin.

You forgot to mention that the hero and VISIONARY Kayaba is in the OP!

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
attack on titan is his fav

One piece is always a hard one to demonstrate character achievements in a short scene since by the time you finally see the adversary get defeated, you understand the meaning behind the devastation but it took a season or two to build up.

I do think these scenes are pretty awesome and can be digested in small bites - I'll try to be as non-spoiler-y with the labels as I can. It's also hard because the amazing scenes are a spoilers so I tried to stay away from pivotal scenes - definitely don't show
Luffy using haki on fishman island
!!:

Zoro and Mihawk

Zoro and Kuma

I'd prep your friend with the caveat that while the art style and character design of One Piece may seem more whimsical [read: childish] than an AoT -- the story, mood, fights writing, music -- virtually in every class, one piece will offer more and a better experience to those aspects of AoT excels BUT he will have to adapt to the pacing of the series because its a shower with much more legacy than most.

Jex

...no.

Some of SAO2's fanservice is almost subliminally inserted at this point. Like...it lasts for a single frame, as though they wanted to put something in but wanted nobody to be aware of it.
nsfw follows of weird illogical frame by frame:
one, two, three
This all goes by in less than a second. Bizarre. Really jarring too.

Eh, that's nothing unusual. Tons of anime fanservice is like that. Hiding stuff on a single frame is practised technique.

Mr.Jeff

Went to the Studio Bones showcase today which featured two episodes of Space Dandy followed by a Q+A with President Minami.

Episodes show were 4 and 20 (zombies and rock)
First episode was rather dull although I'll give it some applause for actually doing something sort of interesting with zombies for the second half.
Second episode was a bit better and I got some laughs out of it but it's kind of annoying to see normal everyday ideas used in a sci-fi setting even if they can afford to go over the top with them.

Q+A session didn't really provide anything in particular of note but here's a few choice points:
- With regards to Escaflowne and Eureka Seven Movies being different while Cowboy Bebop was part of the "series": the impression was he didn't really find the story of the movie of Escaflowne to be widely different from the series but didn't really expand on this reasoning. For Eureka Seven, he said that as long as the key areas of Renton are Eureka were there, he felt they could do different things and it would still be Eureka Seven.
Cowboy Bebop was a "complete" series so the only way to go about a movie was to fit it into the series at some point.

- Someone asked about the co-founder of Bones who died 8 years or so ago and if he felt they'd managed to find a replacement. He said he still misses him and feels that gap can't really be "filled". He looked genuinely choked up about this.

- Working under Tomino at Sunrise; he never really had any bad experiences with Tomino despite his reputation but speculates this might be because they have the same blood type so when he was angry, he knew why Tomino was angry.

- Left out ideas for Space Dandy; would have liked to have done an hot springs ep with mixed bathing but would have been filled with aliens. When questioned why when every anime under the sun has such an episode, he joked that that way, he could have gone to an onsen for research purposes in the same way that he and the team visited several Hooters bars for research for the Boobies restaurant.

Edit: Oh and he wore a replica Dandy jacket like is seen in the show.

Time of Eve movie tomorrow. Excited and annoyed by this - excited because I've only seen the series and annoyed because I've still yet to receive the Blu-ray of the movie. Oh well. Apparently it's sold out which is nice.

Narag

- Working under Tomino at Sunrise; he never really had any bad experiences with Tomino despite his reputation but speculates this might be because they have the same blood type so when he was angry, he knew why Tomino was angry.

- Left out ideas for Space Dandy; would have liked to have done an hot springs ep with mixed bathing but would have been filled with aliens. When questioned why when every anime under the sun has such an episode, he joked that that way, he could have gone to an onsen for research purposes in the same way that he and the team visited several Hooters bars for research for the Boobies restaurant.

Amazing.

Sword Art Online II 15

Ugh, the tone shift is huge from the first half. It's a bit jarring to go from the dark murder mystery with the kind of music that the first half had to this fairy world that's really colorful and without drama. SAO without anything on the line isn't really that interesting. This will compete with Fairy Dance for the worst SAO arc, I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom