• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attack on Titan 19

Another episode largely told through flashback. At least this one blends in with the story better than the earlier ones, though that probably has to do with the fact it's a flashback that was already in the Manga to begin with.

Fate Stay Night UBW - 07

Damn Archer is on a rampage tonight. I was so happy for a moment when I thought
he killed Shirou
, but yeah..
I like the honorable (Caster summoned?) Samurai, and when he fought Sabre I got reminded of those classic Katana VS Longsword fanboy debates. This far I'm still rooting for Archer.
q3aQHzz.jpg
DZ7Fgla.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Parasyte Episode 10:

Well then, turns out that girl was stupider then expected, throwing acid on the parasite just caused it to go into a rage and ultimately she is responsible for the death of 17 people because she had to test a theory in the stupidest way possible.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 03

Today's Chocotto Christmas present is a new landlady, with glasses and a large bust, as played by Kaori Mizuhashi. This works out nicely for me! Chocotto wandering out into town, away from Haruma's eyes, and getting into trouble, looks to be the formula of these first few episodes. It's good for introducing things, though I wouldn't mind some variety in story structure. Choco's manual also can't cover everything, like the highly specific scenario of crows stealing the key to your apartment complex. Thinking about how Japanese media do things, how Choco came to be isn't as important as how she's changing Haruma's life. It's more about the now than the then.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai got Dai Shogun -Grea Revolution-!
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-licenses-dai-shogun--great-r

A new era in Japan has come alive, and one gun shy young warrior is out to prove his manly worth in Sentai Filmworks' latest acquisition, Dai-Shogun -Great Revolution-! This action packed sci-fi mecha series is directed by Takashi Watanabe (Demon King Daimao, Shakugan no Shana) with series composition by Dai Sato (FREEDOM, Eureka Seven), mechanical design by Makoto Ishiwata (Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, Valvrave the Liberator) and animation production by J.C. Staff (The Familiar of Zero, Dream Eater Merry) and A.C.G.T. (The Future Diary, Project Blue Earth SOS).

cajunator

Banned
Strike Witches 2 - 12 FIN

Good end to a good show.

---

This was a pretty great little show, improved in all areas over the first season from Gonzo. It's just such an all around refinement with a better narrative, better balancing of the cast such that it feels far more ensemble than "witch of the week," far better animated in both the 2-D & 3-D realm, and paced wonderfully so each episode just blew by. I'd been told the second season was better but I never managed to interpret that as a better all around product. I'd gladly take a third season if the material continues to be further refined as it was here.

I can't lie, part of the reason I found myself really liking this season was, while the first season was more or less its own thing, this had a quality about it as if it was influenced by previous anime especially when dealing with the Neuroi. Echos of Evangelion, Diebuster and, Yamato were present in this and it added a great deal of flavor to the show. These elements were always leveraged in a manner that they felt like proper homage than rip-off as well which was nice as they gave the serious business half of the show some genuine gravitas.

Biggest caveat with this one though is the excessive fanservice. It's similar to No Game No Life in how a great show revels in it (although it's certain that's the main cnoceit of this property) and consequently limits the audience of the show and just who one could recommend it to. This season somehow turned it up to 11. I wouldn't be wrong to describe it as unrelenting.

but yeah, like the first season, no one cares about that so here's your updated Witch rankings::

1. Lynette
  2. Barkhorn
  3. Hartmann
  4. Perrine
  5. Sanya
  6. Shirley
  7. Sakamoto
  8. ]Miyafuji
  9. Minna
  10. Eila
  11. Lucchini

Sanya is way too low but I guess that ranking is acceptable otherwise.
Glad you liked it!

Ah yes, the very definition of mediocre right there.
Hello miss mediocre ^^

Gundam Build Fighters Try 9

if2eErXkFwswv.png

It's finally a real Gundam show!

Did Tomino also have anything to do with Darker than Black by any chance?

Oh look, my Non Non Biyori Blu-ray order is processing.

ibuC7WnDaYWjfd.jpg

Im not sure what I do wrong but my sentai orders are never processed or shipped early.
Maybe I order it with something else that holds it up and should ship it separately?

Somebody must've spoiled how disappointing the show was after Fate/Zero.

Its no spoiler. EVERYBODY knew that Fate stay night in any iteration would never hold up to FZ. In fact many of us warned exactly that. Its only an individuals fault for ignoring the warnings.

I'm thinking of selling my Toradora DVD set. I want to upgrade to the blurays.

I also have a DVD set thats just taking up space now. Maybe I should sell mine. Its in pristine condition.

Parasyte Episode 10:

Well then, turns out that girl was stupider then expected, throwing acid on the parasite just caused it to go into a rage and ultimately she is responsible for the death of 17 people because she had to test a theory in the stupidest way possible.

Heh Heh I thought the same. There was a moment where Shinichi feels partially responsible of all the killing because he didn't act before but let things stay, and I was thinking "nope, she is the one to blame for!".

Parasyte 10

Well, it was going to happen eventually. While I question the realism of
Murano (or any of class 3-3) being "okay" after seeing their classmates sliced up into a gory mess
it's kind of necessary for storytelling purposes.

Parasyte Episode 10:

also this

Earth is just as awful as I am at Dance Dance Revolution.

Kindred spirits.

Liking Air and the rest of the elementals even more after this episode.

Don't even feel like ever ranking them again since there's not a single one that could count as "worst"

Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode 9

Now this was a fucking fight. Sure the end was a-typical super punch. But! I absolutely loved the fact the other team combined into one gundam after their gundams were smashed in half. That's the kinda shit I love to see that's normally only reserved for the hero's team. Wonder what the secret is to Sekai actually being hurt during the fight.

kewlmyc

Chaika AB - 09

Wow, next episode is going to be rushed as fuck. Other than the obvious twist, this was a decent episode. Hopefully the next episode will be decent as well. Ugh, at least there's an OVA coming.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 09

Did Sekai pull a Setsuna and become Gundam? I really hope so because that's so dumb but also awesome. I wonder what the scar at the end was about.
This was a good episode, probably the best so far. Fight was hype, but Sekai powering up offscreen and that punch at the end were kind of iffy.
NEXT EPISODE - BEARGGUY FAMILY AND BLACK TURN A + BEACH EPISODE WHAT COULD GO WRONG HERE

Parasyte 10

Shinichi throwing a rock so hard, so fast and so accurate it destroys the parasite is one of my favorite parts of the whole series.

I like the idea of sneakily introducing a method to catch parasites, but convincing everyone to just start pulling each others hair is so silly. It seems like a dumb idea too, when one got outed then splashed with acid, then killed 17 people and you don't even know what stopped him.

And with Murano not questioning Shinichi's godly jumping abilities, I think she already has suspicions but doesn't know how to bring it up.

Chaika: AVENGING BATTLE 09

tumblr_ng0vgrnf0w1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

The most unsurprising climax of all time! Decent episode besides.
This is rushed to fuck. Probably won't get Dragon cavalier besides a last minute throwaway scene, because I don't see any other way to take down this JRPG final boss. Apparently a lot of skipping and Bones original stuff thrown into here from what I've been told.
It's a shame because this series grew on me.

But one thing - was that a fucking satellite in space at the end.
I guess with magic you really don't gotta have to explain shit.

Chaika AB - 09

Was this being the end result a surprise to anyone? Holy shit I hope not. And now Chaika realizes her entire existence was bullshit and she was a very cute tool even though this should have been apparent to her 4-5 episodes ago?

Erigu

Parasyte - 10
Meeting among government officials and the test ensuring that no one among them was a Parasite is a neat one, I like the specific means of identification that they're using there. That said it seems odd that they would do something like this without a literal Parasite free verified army behind them to ensure that, if there was a Parasite among the government officials, that they wouldn't all be butchered immediately. The lack of foresight in that scenario bugged me.
That wasn't an issue in the original (as soon as they mentioned the test, a guy with a gun entered the room).

The specific way in which the corpses were dismembered along with the sheer number of victims should have sent alarm bells among both the public and the families of the victims. Given the time that the attack started and ended and the extent to which the victims were torn apart it seems sort of a stretch that the police/government would be able to cover up that something distinctly extraordinary occurred.
That was better handled in the original comic as well (it was shown that the the cover up really wasn't all that successful, and there had been rumors about monsters for a while at that point, hence why the hair thing caught on like it did).

Murano giving 0 fucks about Shinichi jumping from a third story window and then immediately jumping over a goddamn fence while also holding onto her.
Same here (it was a second story window, in the original... the TV series made the characters one year older, hence the third floor).

Same thing for last week's main issue: the original comic handled things a bit better with that one girl. While her decision to confront the guy was still... well, questionable, to say the least, the original comic spent a bit more time on her sleuthing and made her look a good deal less idiotic.
And yes, it was weird how Shimada changed clothes and then his face, in the TV series. There again, not in issue in the comic.

As with Shingeki ni Kyojin or... well, Hunter x Hunter, not so coincidentally, the adaptation is fairly faithful to the original overall, but pretty much manages to fuck something up whenever it strays away from it. Not that I consider the original flawless, but it's a bit disheartening.

Build fighters Try - 09

That slap was well deserved , hopefully it's the start of a brand new relationship.

That fight was alright , it was even hype. I honnestly liked it.
Next episode is gonna be the return of the king, can't wait.

His-cool seha girls - 09

WHAT A SHAMELESS PROMOTION !

Chain chronicles is not bad, but it's not great either.
However , anyone who has played the game knew this joke was going to be made :

Hi-sCoool%21%20SeHa%20Girl%20-%2009.jpg

BEST HEAL IN RPG PARTY

It's a shame they didn't show how much damage the book did , they missed an opportunity !
Crying megadrive is good.. *Nods*

Chaika AB 9

Any defense I may have had for this season is gone, the funny thing is nothing in this episode was inherently bad... well ignoring the whole
Black Chiaka giving birth to her own father weirdness
but besides that in a bubble this episode was great. Outside of this bubble the entire episode falls apart because the big shocking reveal that happens this episode WAS ALREADY TOLD TO US several episodes ago. At the time I was willing to excuse it for rushed pacing where they skipped over the whole "am I real or not -> it doesn't matter I will complete my quest" thing, but everyone in this episode including Chaika acts completely surprised by the reveal they already knew.

God damn it Bones you had ONE JOB and you FUCKED IT UP

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just wondering if people here still buy anime DVD or bluray or just stream it online now? Just notice from cleaning up my room of how many Anime dvd I have own right now and it's quite bit. Might consider to get rid of them soon as I am slowly transfer the show onto my external HDD. The picture below are show I have own as of now.

Note: Currently watching Noir right now. Kinda slow pace in the beginning but kinda interested in the Sodlat stuff right now.

Link : Image

Physical media hurts so hard. There's a lot of stuff I'm probably going to first put into binders and then throw in a tub over the next few years.

Attack on Titan 20

Might just be me but this was yet another episode where I felt like they could have cut a bit of the fat though not as much as 10-16.

Chaika S2 Ep 9

HOLY SHIT @ Black Chaika. WTFFFFFFF lol

How the fuck is this going to wrap up next week? Jesus.

Awesome episode though.
Emperor Gaz is such a boss.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 8

Guess I was a week behind on this

Too much dumb romance comedy focused on girl who's already lost, should have had less of that and more of team try fighters taking on the dragon gundam. Seriously you hype a dragon gundam and then instantly have it separate for no reason... well there was a reason it was so that the good guys could destroy it quickly to make more time for the squash match where girl who's already lost gets to lose again. Probably the weakest episode of this season.

Crocodile

Carnage

This ended way too soon. When is the full 25-30 minute OVA coming out? :p :/

Shirobako 8

Aoi's sister is kind of awesome. Surprised all it to Ema to get out of her funk was playing with a real cat. If she was struggling with feline anatomy, there should be a plethora of reference material out there to help her our. Or I guess she really just needed the fresh air?

Parasyte 8-9

This like like a cavalcade of stupid:
  • "Are you really Izumi?" - I get why Murano is asking this question but after the 43135135th time she asked it I too would be tempted to snap. It's such an obnoxious way to address somebody. Just come out and say she doesn't like how he's changed
  • Shouldn't Shinichi in his defense, at least tell Murano his mom is dead? The death of a parent is a legit excuse for a character change, be it positive or negative.
  • Why are ALL the girls in this show so thirsty? It's unnatural. Especially Kana. I get that due to her senses Shinchi gives off a weird vibe but I don't understand how that turned from confusion and curiosity to romantic interest.
  • At this point, considering his dad is fully aware of what going on, Shinichi not telling his Dad about Migi feels really short-sighted. I feel that' info that could potentially save lives down the road and at the very least I'd trust my own father not to blab about it to the government. Is Shinhci still afraid Migi might axe his dad if he knew?
  • Bullies in anime are insufferable. These fuckers really have nothing better to do than try to beat up people all day?
  • You suspect someone is a man-eating alien and you confront them alone with a bottle of pain-thinner in a dark room after having told nobody about what you're doing even if there are people you know would believe you and help? Holy shit girl you dumb O_O

Parasyte 10

Much better though I have to say for the shit that was going down, Shinchi (or most other people) didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to move anywhere. Also, and this is likely an issue with the direction, but the first half of the episode was obviously supposed to give off a sense of terror but I can't say I was really feeling it :/

I'm glad between this episode and last that the government are at least aware of the parasites though its still unclear what they are going to do about them. Considering they've taken the time to modernize the setting in this adaptation, I feel it a bit incredulous that they, or any other world government, can keep the parasites under wraps considering the brutality of theses incidents, how inept many of the parasites are at keeping a low profile with the "mincemeat murders" and these confrontations at the school and the power of social media today.

Also, how the hell did the hair pulling thing catch on if the government never went public about the parasites. Of course there's also the issue that if you successfully ID a parasite, you're pretty much dead on the spot :/

Also, how the hell did the hair pulling thing catch on if the government never went public about the parasites. Of course there's also the issue that if you successfully ID a parasite, you're pretty much dead on the spot :/

I may be wrong on this, but the simple idea that this is a thing that becomes popular will lead to the parasites themselves wanting to keep an even lower profile to avoid detection. As you said earlier the parasites were doing a pretty bad job of staying hidden, now add people pulling each others hair as a fad and the parasites pretty much have to keep quiet or risk getting exposed really quickly. Now parasites that try and mingle with society will be found out instantly which removed the whole "any one of us could be a parasite" angle, at least it should in theory.

Midonin

Read or Die (OVA)

The final show in my book tour, and in a way, it has elements of everything that I watched before. Yumiko is as kind-hearted (and book-obsessed) as Touko, the action is comparable to Bantorra, and it was directed by the same director as Kokoro Library. I've heard a lot about this one, but never actually watched it. It seems like the late 90s/early 2000s had a lot of shows that were influenced by American action movies, but mostly starred cute girls in the main role. This is a combination I can work with.

A hero like Yomiko is someone who I like to see. A genuinely kind-hearted person who nonetheless can do cool things for saving others and just wanting to read a book. Not especially kind to the Americans, and it was clearly made in a different time, but America isn't always the greatest best country yada yada. The whole thing is an international affair, with Viennese composers, German flight dudes and a whole host of Japanese historical figures.

The relationship between Nancy and Yomiko was really good. Hard to believe these were released over the course of a year - the story flows extremely well between all three parts. CR has the TV series, which is the next and last stop on this part of the backlog. And like Kokoro, also stars Chiwa Saito in a major role.

It lived up to the hype.

Code Geass R2 21

GRusC.gif

Every time I thought this episode couldn't get better/more insane something happened to one up it. I have even less of an idea on how this will end.
Truly a classic to go alongside the likes of Euphynasia.

Crocodile

I may be wrong on this, but the simple idea that this is a thing that becomes popular will lead to the parasites themselves wanting to keep an even lower profile to avoid detection. As you said earlier the parasites were doing a pretty bad job of staying hidden, now add people pulling each others hair as a fad and the parasites pretty much have to keep quiet or risk getting exposed really quickly. Now parasites that try and mingle with society will be found out instantly which removed the whole "any one of us could be a parasite" angle, at least it should in theory.

I guess that kind of makes some sense but that's not what I took as the intention of the government officials with the test. I am curious though as to how the parasites will respond as it seems clear there is some sort of society/hierarchy of them and not just a random assortment of them around the world.

What puzzles me is why people, even little girls, would start pulling out their hairs without the context of "their are aliens amongst us and this will out them". If a buddy of mine said "we should start pulling our hair out as we greet each other, its the newest fad!", I'd tell them to fuck off.

I guess that kind of makes some sense but that's not what I took as the intention of the government officials with the test. I am curious though as to how the parasites will respond as it seems clear there is some sort of society/hierarchy of them and not just a random assortment of them around the world.

What puzzles me is why people, even little girls, would start pulling out their hairs without the context of "their are aliens amongst us and this will out them". If a buddy of mine said "we should start pulling our hair out as we greet each other, its the newest fad!", I'd tell them to fuck off.

Maybe it's one of those explained better in the manga things? Or perhaps it's further explained in the next episode what caused the fad to start. Honestly the idea doesn't seem to far fetched I imagine if the pope came out today and started a "help cleanse your soul so you can go to heaven by offering to pull the hair of people you meet if they'll pull yours" or something stupid in a few months a lot of religious people would do that. Kind of like if a vampire series introduced the concept of a selfie to prove you're not a vampire.

It's probably a plot point we weren't meant to think about too much

Maybe it's one of those explained better in the manga things? Or perhaps it's further explained in the next episode what caused the fad to start. Honestly the idea doesn't seem to far fetched I imagine if the pope came out today and started a "help cleanse your soul so you can go to heaven by offering to pull the hair of people you meet if they'll pull yours" or something stupid in a few months a lot of religious people would do that. Kind of like if a vampire series introduced the concept of a selfie to prove you're not a vampire.

It's probably a plot point we weren't meant to think about too much

As has been said, it was already well established in the manga that there were a lot of rumors about the parasites, so a lot of it was paranoia as well

CorvoSol

Gundam X series review

1. It was ugly as fuck. Like if Gundam Wing had shit its face. Not on its face, but as if Gundam Wing's face had somehow shat.

2. It was boring as fuck. Nothing happens for 30 episodes and then everything happens in the last 10 and then the last episode tells you everything was a lie and doesn't explain anything in anyway at all.

3. An incredibly dull cast. Nobody undergoes any development except, like, Jamil, and his arc boils down to a sped up and exaggerated version of Amuro Ray's from Zeta to CCA. The villains are the worst villains in any Gundam show, ever. I am indeed including Lord Mustache Twirler Ezelcant, Ass-voiced-Desil, and Hilariously-Pathetic-Attempt-At-Imitating-Gauron Ali Al Saachez in this list. I cannot stress how fucking awful the Frost Brothers are, and how unbelievably stupid the writing gets any time they are on screen.

Gundam X was a boring, pointless, meandering, hideous show that should've been cancelled 39 episodes earlier. The only good thing to ever come out of or be near to Gundam X was Yasaka Mao. It's not the worst Gundam ever made by far, but it's a woefully awful and painstakingly boring series all the same.

NeonZ

Gundam X was a boring, pointless, meandering, hideous show that should've been cancelled 39 episodes earlier. The only good thing to ever come out of or be near to Gundam X was Yasaka Mao. It's not the worst Gundam ever made by far, but it's a woefully awful and painstakingly boring series all the same.

Too bad you didn't like it, it's possibly my favorite Gundam series. I'll say part of that is because I really liked the themes it pushed forth, and the way it did that, so I guess I'm biased.

Still, it's just odd to see you complaining about nothing being explained and lack of character development, almost seems like we're looking at two completely different series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom