• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Chaika S2 ep 9
Wtf? A space fortress?In a high fantasy? Out of the blue? Fuck you Bones.

Kampfer - 01

Decided to check this out per Thoraxes' request. I think I'm gonna enjoy this. :D

stephen-colbert-screa1bdot.gif

DiGiKerot

Even I that don't watch Chaika not surprised.

Scrapped Princess was great tho.

Yeah, I won't deny that Scrapped Princess was way better than this second half of Chaika has been going (although I read all those English SP novels which Tokyopop put out, and man, the staff did a lot of good work in making the material adapting those volumes not-terrible, even if it did mean skipping the entire first book! Shame that effort doesn't seem to have been replicated as successfully here)

cajunator

Banned
Maybe I should ask people here about the list of anime.

Right now, I am consider to buy some anime show and looking at the Right Stuff sale stuff (and going crazy right now). Because of my issue (don't watch recent anime) I make a list of anime show and wondering if it's worth the cost to buy it or not. Opinion is fine here.

Amagami SS - dont buy
And Yet The Town Moves - DEFINITELY buy
Clannad After Story - buy if you like Key
Clannad - ""
Clannad: The Motion Picture - ""
Emma: A Victorian Romance Season 1 - nah
Emma: A Victorian Romance Season 2 - nah
Garden of Words, - buy
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig - maybe
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - maybe
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing - watch on CR
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing - ""
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise - BUY
Serial Experiments Lain - BUY
Watamote (No Matter How I Look At It...)- watch on CR

Shin Sekai Yori 4

Well that's more like it. A welcome break from the meandering school activities and a large look beyond the veil of secrecy that covered the past and present of this world. One pet peeve I have is the ease with which Saki@crew got access to all this secret data. Given the amount of effort and care it took to withhold the truth from them, leaving an exposition machine roaming around like that seems like a pretty big omission. Overall, pretty great episode, even the 10 minute infodump was expertly told and didn't leave me bored for a second. Still not a big fan of the kids but events seem to be narrated by an older Saki so perhaps a timeskip is a coming.

Rewatching the first two episodes, I noticed some major time hijinks. The purple sundown and later scenes from the first episode seem to be a 1000 years apart yet they clearly feature the same characters. And what the hell is the deal with those white masks ? They even show up in the ED. Speaking of the ED, I absolutely adore it. A perfect blend melancholic music and godly visuals.

Show is about to really get moving now. INformation and revelations will come pretty quickly. Man this show is so good!
Also, if you want the full version of that gorgeously haunting song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LpZ5I8Iks&index=68&list=FLNFUrSlf5rFlnSpbz9jbzpg

Absolutely incredible.

Chuuni 08

Rikka becomes Vega.

Lots of romance in the air.

The real question is whats your opinion of Touka?

Chuuni 09

Yuta should really get some kind of lock on his window.

Copying romance manga doesn't work, but in the end Rikka really falls in love. Quite literally. Some kind of comparison can be drawn with how the show started and what happened here at the end of the episode as well I guess.

That last part was so hnnng. Rikka top tier waifu.

I don't really, but that's true of physical media generally. Of course part of it is lessons learned from DvD where I bought lots but in the end rewatched maybe 10% of the discs I bought. All it was was a money sink. Of course anime is a bit different in that you can't buy subbed anime digitally. But they really have to be favourites that I know I'll rewatch for me to buy even on sale. And at least so far anime disappearing from streaming us pretty rare...though I guess in time that will change and I'll feel more need to buy more anime.

I rewatch a looooot of what I buy which is probably why I dont watch new stuff very quickly. A lot of rewatching happens with my friend as Im showing him new stuff.
Sometimes though its just watching the same favorites over and over.

Clamp did art for Fate/Stay

B33g7I_CMAElxFF.jpg

Beautiful!

Well.....I have spend close to $600 dollars on right stuff sales. Man, my wallet is crying right now.

I know that feel *pat pat

Read or Die (OVA)

The final show in my book tour, and in a way, it has elements of everything that I watched before. Yumiko is as kind-hearted (and book-obsessed) as Touko, the action is comparable to Bantorra, and it was directed by the same director as Kokoro Library. I've heard a lot about this one, but never actually watched it. It seems like the late 90s/early 2000s had a lot of shows that were influenced by American action movies, but mostly starred cute girls in the main role. This is a combination I can work with.

A hero like Yomiko is someone who I like to see. A genuinely kind-hearted person who nonetheless can do cool things for saving others and just wanting to read a book. Not especially kind to the Americans, and it was clearly made in a different time, but America isn't always the greatest best country yada yada. The whole thing is an international affair, with Viennese composers, German flight dudes and a whole host of Japanese historical figures.

The relationship between Nancy and Yomiko was really good. Hard to believe these were released over the course of a year - the story flows extremely well between all three parts. CR has the TV series, which is the next and last stop on this part of the backlog. And like Kokoro, also stars Chiwa Saito in a major role.

It lived up to the hype.

Man, ROD is SO GOOD. I dont know why its not more popular. It takes elements of James Bond and super hero movies and mixes it all together into one fun infectious cocktail. So stylish, so fresh, so action packed...how can people NOT like this?
Also, I will only say that the TV series DOES tie into the OVA.
Yomiko Readman is a top tier goddess.

faridmon

Seven Deadly Sins Ep1

How can a series have a great name and end up being shite? OMG Elizabeth is one of the most annoying female character I have seen in Anime for a long time.

duckroll

Yama no Susume S2 - Episode 21

Hinata is a really good friend. Lots of sweet scenes in this episode. Otherwise it's mostly just the introduction of the big climatic climb. The huge flight of stairs was pretty funny. And I felt the concerns Hinata had about where their friendship would go after this also mirrors the thoughts of the audience - what will happen to the show when this arc is over? Will it continue? Is this the end? Dokidoki~

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 111

It's Raichi and Noel! So the Dream Academy episodes haven't been forgotten after all. Maybe Kii and Mikuru and Sora and everyone else from S2 can come back at some point. So Akari has her first fan, and Raichi helps him learn the ins and outs of being an idol fan so he can keep supporting her, while Akari learns how to do a handshake event. In some ways, it feels like a repeat of an early S1 episode, but tempered by the characterization and history the series has built up over its time on the air. Some movie promotion going on in the ending credits, but it'll be much longer before I'm able to see that.

RightStuf holiday sale day 4 is up. Notables inculde:

Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition: $45
Blue Exorcist Blu-Ray and DVD sets: $120 for the BDs, $60 for the DVDs.
Grave of the Fireflies Remastered Edition: $10.50 for the BD, $6.50 for the DVD
Madlax: $13 or $15 if you want the thinpak.
Ouran High School Host Club: $20 for both the DVDs and the BDs
Slayers Seasons 1-3: $24
Summer Wars: $12
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: $24.50 for the BDs, $21 for the DVDs

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 04

"Advent Calendar" doesn't really work for a Valentine's Day episode, but it's the thought that counts. They're both holidays about giving gifts. That's not cool, Haruma, trapping your sister in a box in the closet on Valentine's Day. No chocolates were really given, but Chitose was super cute in doing so, and Makoto's becoming one of my favorite characters. The "drunken landlady/big sister" type isn't as visible in anime these days, but I remember a lot of them around the time that Chocotto was on the air.

phaze

Can't really think of a better ED than SSY's in recent years.

Had it on repeat for 3 hours yesterday. Instant addition to my all time favourites.

Show is about to really get moving now. INformation and revelations will come pretty quickly. Man this show is so good!
Also, if you want the full version of that gorgeously haunting song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1LpZ5I8Iks&index=68&list=FLNFUrSlf5rFlnSpbz9jbzpg

Absolutely incredible.

I was mostly speaking of the ED :p but that track is magnificent too. Though they seem to overuse it.

Parasyte 10

Despite my many minor gripes with it, most of which have already been covered here, this was probably the best episode since the initial three. Good they went again for a swift execution and not a prolonged fight. They don't seem to possess either the budget or any idea what to do with those.

Still, I hope this is the last we have seen of "Parasyte comes to school, threatens Shinichi's friends, goes on rampage, is dealt with."

e_i

Encouragement of Climb episode 21

Ah, so that's who photography girl is (she's featured on the show's poster in the recent Megami or Nyantype).

Kampfer - 01

Decided to check this out per Thoraxes' request. I think I'm gonna enjoy this. :D
Ah ah ah
SDburton is going to love it .

Especially since
he is the main vilain

A lot of the characters in Eureka Seven are fucking intolerable.

I dont know how I finished that series. I struggle to recommend it.
Good animation ,intrestting setting, God-tier OP songs , decent final arc .
But yeah , i wanted to slap SO MANY FACES in this show

Hey guyz, remember that Madan no Ou episode where MC suck the poison out?

Intresting , not as good as the "fantasista dolls" and "Haganai" ones.

You forgot the most important.
Qwaser of Stigmata

Yummy.

One day i'll watch season 2 ... one day

Yes, two movies. First is on cinemas right now in Japan. edit: gif is pretty decent, the cg in the trailer I watched a few months ago were more jarring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn30pP-VAI8

It's been going on for months. If you check out anime news sites you would know about it.

I was interested then I saw the trailer and the head chomping scene. That was fucking hilarious. Especially the guy playing Shinichi screaming when he notices the eye. The equivalent of "naniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii?!"

And as much as I love anime, I have little need to check anime news sites. AnimeGAF will let me know whatever I need to know. Such as the Ore Monogatari anime

#sohype

For those who don't know, Doug Walker is doing his Disneycember videos again, only this time going over and reviewing the Studio Gibli anime movies (Although focusing on the ones distributed in America by Disney though).

If you're not a fan of the Nostalgia Critic (which, I've heard that many people here don't care for), you don't have to worry. He's reviewing them strictly as himself and not his character and isn't focusing on making jokes or anything.

So far, he's reviewed Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.

I guess I'll just put a pre-emptive spoiler warning, since I haven't seen that many Gibli movies and I don't know what he covers that'll be considered a spoiler to some of you. So yeah, just throwing that out there.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 9:

Everybody on this show needs a hug, even Taro this week since he proved to be shockingly useful. I am countably stunned that a program like this has come into existence.

Midonin

Denki-Gai 10

Some people will say it's Nozaki, but for me, Denki-Gai has been a hidden gem of this season for combining some mature thoughts on love (mostly everything surrounding Tsumorin, especially this episode) with some sometimes lowbrow otaku humor. That contrasting tone makes the moments of each more effective. The moment with Director and Hiotan was a little suspect, but handled better than, say, the similar moment in Blue Spring Ride a season or two ago. Kameko, Sensei, Fugirl, everyone's adorable. The chocolate making lesson was my favorite part of the episode, a nice mixture of a cooking show spiced up with character-based humor.

Shirobako 9:
So, we've started to also highlight how CG is soul crushing work for everyone involved in it. Misa chose poorly. Shizuka keeps making mistakes on her path to being a voice actress, but at least she's made a tiny bit of progress here. But what was she thinking with that over the top bit?

The heart of this episode, and especially the ending, was really great. I loved seeing the director and writer get together and sort out the ending for the show, and seeing Kinoshita really get fired up and work through all of the little bits that had been nagging at his mind and come up with a new ending that fit the themes of the show perfectly was a great scene. There was so much passion there. They're not out of the woods just yet, but the biggest obstacle has been removed.

Midonin

Shirobako 09

My sympathies to the CG staff of Kamen Rider Drive. At least those tires aren't restrained by things like "reality" or "accuracy" to anything but the toys. Which is difficult in its own way, but at least there's variety.

TIRE CHANGE. DREAM VEGAS.

The ending scene was more of what I want from this show. Business management is fine and all, but I came here looking for the creative side of what makes anime tick. And I'm still not seeing what makes Exodus! a "generic moe anime". Based on what little we've seen of it throughout the show, it's something even AnimeGAF would like and potentially declare Anime of the Season (unironically?). I think.

I'm really glad that their universe's version of GochiUsa is doing so well in the Amazon rankings. Now if only our universe's version would have a second season greenlit.

Link Man

Banned
Denki-Gai 10

Some people will say it's Nozaki, but for me, Denki-Gai has been a hidden gem of this season for combining some mature thoughts on love (mostly everything surrounding Tsumorin, especially this episode) with some sometimes lowbrow otaku humor. That contrasting tone makes the moments of each more effective. The moment with Director and Hiotan was a little suspect, but handled better than, say, the similar moment in Blue Spring Ride a season or two ago. Kameko, Sensei, Fugirl, everyone's adorable. The chocolate making lesson was my favorite part of the episode, a nice mixture of a cooking show spiced up with character-based humor.

B4BwVmVIEAAGL4G.jpg:large

Defuser

Psycho Pass 2 ep 9
My god, the opera, it's fucking slaying me. This is the most edgiest piece of crap that can't be beat. Gen Urobochi ain't got shit on Tow Ubukata.

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori 5
Leave it to a Saint Seiya director to fuck things up. I thought it was an outsourced episode because it was sometimes reaching Reconguista levels of incoherence. In the pursuit at the beginning, we go from the group being together and the pursuers right on their heels, to Saki completely alone and not even running a second later. I'm not sure if it was a deliberate choice or a lack of budget because pretty much every more dynamic scene here felt unfinished. Satoru getting slashed with the spear felt like it was missing a few frames. And I think they tried to depict an assault on the tunnels with a shaking still frame. @_o Other than that: a jarring change in art style (that changes again during the episode though for more understandable reasons), poor integration of music and over abundance of close up shots, facial expressions that make no sense in the context of things that are happening on the screen. They didn't manage to ruin the pretty as usual backgrounds and ED is godly as always so all was not lost I suppose. Still, really poorly executed episode.

As far as events that transpired here go - damn did that "sex" scene came out of the blue even with the explanation that the library gave for it. Earlier I thought queerats will turn out to be genetically altered humans or just normal people hidden under some illusion but given the size of the Queen that has shown up here, at least the latter option is out of the table.

Joe Molotov

Precure Max Heart 17 & 18

Two consecutive trash-based Zakennas, and the Precure find an illegal dumping site in the mountains and have a sad. It's turning into Captain Planet outchea, brehs. (but hopefully not Captain Earth)

Himemiya

Yama no Susume 6-12

Cute and comforting show. I especially liked the episodes about getting Kokona off Mt. Takao because they showed a different side of Aoi where she can provide reassurance for someone else, which is character development in the context of what we know so far, in such a short time frame too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom