• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 23-24

Not the best of ways to end it but serviceable enough. Polnareff's hand signal and Kakyoin's response was probably the best gag of the season though.

I wasn't familiar with the early material and found it enjoyable even when it wasn't doing anything too ambitious. Egypt & Dio's World stuff should be amazing though given the care demonstrated thus far and the source material they'll have to work with.

I enjoyed Nichijou at first, but then I watched Nichibros. And while I'd say that I was more entertained consistently by Nichijou, as in it wasn't ever dropping material, the highs of Nichibros were well above Nichijou.

TUSR

Banned
Fate/Zero finale

Wow okay, I guess it did end up getting a lot better in the last 4ish episodes.

I might or might not write a novel about it tomorrow.

cajunator

Banned
Kinmoza FINAL THOUGHTS

So, this show is amazing, let's get this out of the way right away. OP is good, ED is incredible and jazzy. Everything is incredibly cute, the characters are all lovable and the humor is wonderful. And the Engrish, oh my god the Engrish! And then there's the finale, which I won't spoil here, but it is the single best episode of anime this side of Gurren Lagann! If you can stomach the cute, WATCH THIS SHOW! It's on sale at RightStuf right now for $24 ($20 for DVD)!

Special shoutout to Woofdawg, who I'm sure would love this if he hasn't seen it already.

So good. So cute. Mostly innocent.
a joy to watch.

Gundam ZZ 38-47 END

oT1P0tU.png
In all I thought it was a better show than Zeta, but I can see why its not well liked. A lot of throw away characters, stuff just happens, random slapstick inserted, characters die with no consequence or real reason, and in general the entire cast had no real reason for being there. Like I said better show than Zeta mostly cause the main character is not freaking insane, but it honestly does very little for the lore of the UC Gundam Universe aside from Haman, Glemy, and the Puru clones most of which do not appear/become significant til near the very end of the series.

IemqC1h.png

Second best Puru, Puru Two and the Red Qubely which lasts like 30 seconds...
0sqC4c3.png

Most 80s character ever
eldQT8K.png

My favorite waifu Haman in her Queen of Space clothes
Q6iGoti.png

zZmS964.png

Glemy gets killed by the woman he loves
stalks
but I thought it was a very good way to take him out.
RUbGRjN.png

Haman dies in a dissapointing final battle
L8NRqu4.png

Reunites with his sister, rest of the cast is happy shes alive, apparently rescued by Sayla from the first Gundam series... none of the how is explained, we are just supposed to accept it, like sooooo many fucking things here.

I burned Z and ZZ fairly back to back, I need a break from Gundam now... like... I need a super cute moe/pervy silly anime to that makes even less sense than ZZ taking 47 episodes and only about 5-8 of them were important the Gundam universe.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Does anyone else like perusing the Manga section at your local Chapters/other book store?

It's amazing to just walk around and see all the colourful art and styles at work. I noticed that most of the manga there had animated adaptions and it got me thinking about how much of an honour it would be to have a show created from something that you've spent countless effort and time toiling over.

I do. Still love them physical book.
Maybe it will change when i have a tablet.

UBW 9

Issei have a really nice body....
And oh yeah, not much happening in this episode.

Psycho Pass2 9

Anime of the year. Anime of the season.
I just can't....
yeeah, this is major downgrade compared to 1st season

CorvoSol

Gundam ZZ 38-47 END

In all I thought it was a better show than Zeta, but I can see why its not well liked. A lot of throw away characters, stuff just happens, random slapstick inserted, characters die with no consequence or real reason, and in general the entire cast had no real reason for being there. Like I said better show than Zeta mostly cause the main character is not freaking insane, but it honestly does very little for the lore of the UC Gundam Universe aside from Haman, Glemy, and the Puru clones most of which do not appear/become significant til near the very end of the series.

I burned Z and ZZ fairly back to back, I need a break from Gundam now... like... I need a super cute moe/pervy silly anime to that makes even less sense than ZZ taking 47 episodes and only about 5-8 of them were important the Gundam universe.

So I'm not saying that Leina's survival wasn't Tomino having his cake and eating it too, but I do think it's interesting how Leina actually is shown alive several episodes before Judau starts talking to her and making people think he's crazy.

ZZ's my favorite UC Gundam, but I get why a lot of people don't take to it. Mostly I'm in it for Judau and Haman.

So I'm not saying that Leina's survival wasn't Tomino having his cake and eating it too, but I do think it's interesting how Leina actually is shown alive several episodes before Judau starts talking to her and making people think he's crazy.

ZZ's my favorite UC Gundam, but I get why a lot of people don't take to it. Mostly I'm in it for Judau and Haman.

Same here. The Leina thing bothered me so much, cause it literally just scene transitioned to showing her alive and well... and moved on like it wasn't a pretty damn big deal. It handled stuff like that way to much. But I liked a good bit of it more than I thought I would.

CorvoSol

Same here. The Leina thing bothered me so much, cause it literally just scene transitioned to showing her alive and well... and moved on like it wasn't a pretty damn big deal. It handled stuff like that way to much. But I liked a good bit of it more than I thought I would.

Yeah like I told Acid, ZZ for me is "I really like this EXCEPT". Which I suppose is a rule I ought to apply to more than just Gundam nowadays.

ZZ had weird issues with that.
Hayato in particular.

ZZ kinda suffers in part due to Tomino scrapping his original plan for the show to make Char's Counter Attack. I think that's reflected in particular in the weakness and sort of aimlessness of the first ten episodes. Aside from that it suffers because it was written by Tomino and Tomino is the kinda guy who has great ideas but not so great execution.

Like I think that the entire Dublin Arc is a great idea, for instance, and full of great ideas, right up to the Colony Drop and Puru's death with the dramatic introduction of Puru II. But it's obvious that Tomino had no idea how to connect that into his ideas for the endgame, and so he didn't, leaving Puru a sort of unmourned character, despite the fact that by all I can tell she was easily one of the most popular parts of the show at the time.

I really wish we could get more of a glimpse of the original ZZ starring(?) Char.
But Tomino just forgot it. Char and Amuro aren't even in ZZ which I always found weird.

Jarmel

Banned
The Tale of Princess Kaguya-
So I finally got around to watching this tonight. I've been looking forward to this for the longest time partially due to the artstyle but also because I've always really enjoyed Takahata's films, although I still need to see a couple. It's a movie based around The Bamboo Cutter and the Moonchild, a famous Japanese folklore that I've never read. I was tempted to read it before watching but held off as I felt it would make for a more powerful watching experience, and I was right.
So this is a triumph. I can't help comparing it to The Wind Rises as they're both Ghibli films but since they're very different works with different goals, I won't belabor much on it. This beats the shit out of The Wind Rises on a directorial front and really is a much stronger work as a whole. There are so many elements in The Tale of the Princess Kaguya that come together to create a really strong cohesive work. While in The Wind Rises, so many bizarre directorial decisions create a miss-mash of ideas and concepts that don't come together. If The Wind Rises is fire, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya is water in that it all flows.
The most distinguishing characteristic of the movie is the visual style. There is ample use of watercolors, charcoal, and pastels. It gives the movie a very unique look that adds to the folklore element of the story. The movie uses a lot of white, especially near the edges, to give it a surreal feel and adds to the mysticism. I think a different artstyle would have completely shifted the tone of the film. It really does look like an old folklore brought back to life. So for the first 50 minutes, while I was blown away by the strong artistic direction, I wasn't wowed by the animation itself. There wasn't anything as good as Shinya Ohta's cuts for example in The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. Then Shinji Hashimoto's cut happened. Anybody who has seen the movie knows exactly what scene I'm referring to. Absolutely powerful on a visual level and the way that the visuals reflect the emotions of the character is a vindication of why I love hand drawn animation in the first place. That might be my favorite Ghibli scene period. There's also some cuts later in the film that I loved, mainly because of how fluid the hair is. The artstyle really elevates some of the higher level animation sequences.
The music is very soft for the most part as so it really blends into the work. I did like a couple of pieces though, one of which was at the end as it's very vibrant and is almost African to an extent. The music is very big on folksongs and acoustics, and can be really tranquil. Another aspect of sound I thought was exceptional was the voice acting. I thought there were a couple of sequences where it really felt like voice acting and not some famous seiyuu reciting lines off a page, one of which was the father calling her Princess while she was walking to him and he started crying.
ibdskR5lPm6bRC.jpg

iuTE8nh2zMegL.jpg

iUkpxJ2cX8GR9.jpg

iBI6UqTCUmk3W.jpg

Kaguya da master troll
Now the narrative itself isn't very unique. I'm pretty sure I've seen similar stuff in Mushishi (which this movie elevates for me) and other works, possibly Western as well. What matters for me isn't the originality of the work but rather the execution. Here the writing (and visuals) really makes Kaguya a fun and dynamic character. While I started to hate the father, I understood that he loved his daughter and his motivations behind his actions. The story doesn't feel messy and everything ties together on multiple thematic levels. While there isn't that much depth to those themes, the movie doesn't highlight a new angle or make things that complex, I feel those themes are fleshed out fairly well. The themes in the movie surprisingly feel modern for a Japanese folklore in that they indict old Japanese society/culture and the restrictions placed on women. After reading the original folklore story, there seems to be a heavier emphasis in the movie compared to the original. It's more about Kaguya and her own priorities and goals. This is a bit why I'm not that happy with the ending as
Kaguya who has lost her freedom for most of her life, still loses her free will at the end. She's never really able to break free. I suppose that's the final jab on Japan's old society.
The family dynamic is at the heart of the family and while I'm not wild about the ending, that family core is still why the ending is
such a fucking gutpunch. Goddamn I feel like shit.
The film never loses sight of its goal and the characters, mainly Kaguya.
One interesting thing about the direction of the story is how the portrayal of time is handled. It's very subtle and so sometimes it can be a bit disorienting as it seems like things are all happening at once. It both adds and detracts from the film in that it does portray being mono no aware but hard to keep track of how old people are at the same time. The other thing is the dream sequences. They really threw me for a loop as looking back, it's fairly obvious what they were but watching it the first time you roll with it until it snaps back. Those sequences again really add to the surreal feeling.
Even after watching some great animation films in the past few years such as Wolf Children, this in some ways feels the most mature. There is such a confident feeling to how things are framed and animated, all the while there being bursts of energy that reflect the emotions of the characters. This really feels like a film that only Takahata at Ghibli could do, nowadays. It simply is a fantastic film on so many fronts. If this is Takahata's final work, he can walk away with head held high.

And this is the part where BassForever says, "The movie looks like a bunch of babies scribbled on colored paper with crayons".

Clov

I still enjoyed The Wind Rises, and thought it was a wonderful movie. However, it doesn't even come close to touching Kaguya. The movie is absolutely leagues ahead of it, I think. Beautiful and brilliant.

About Kaguya's ending:
I cried, a lot. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. It just wasn't fair, you know? Yet the execution of it was perfect; it didn't feel "cheap" in any way. I still feel that there's some hope at the end of it. Despite being taken away from Earth, forced to return to the moon, when Kaguya looks back at the Earth, I felt as though perhaps the Robe of the Moon didn't work entirely. Perhaps she retained a bit of the memories of her family in the end. It's a sad conclusion, but that small, ambiguous hope is good enough for me.

Great review by the way, Jarmel.

Jarmel

Banned
About Kaguya's ending:
I cried, a lot. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. It just wasn't fair, you know? Yet the execution of it was perfect; it didn't feel "cheap" in any way. I still feel that there's some hope at the end of it. Despite being taken away from Earth, forced to return to the moon, when Kaguya looks back at the Earth, I felt as though perhaps the Robe of the Moon didn't work entirely. Perhaps she retained a bit of the memories of her family in the end. It's a sad conclusion, but that small, ambiguous hope is good enough for me.

Ending spoiler:
That last shot of the moon with baby Kaguya on it, hit me like a physical gutpunch. Had the air knocked out of me

Ginko had a gripe about what happened just after the accident.. and like "..oh"
Ginko seem completely aware the reason the kids gone because he already involved too much with the mushi, but seem not consider that when considering treatment, I don't know man, but the kid apparently can live longer despite the side effect.. but Ginko's "total treatment" completely whoop him away..

I didn't interpret that way, it could happen anytime, the kid was a time bomb. I didn't see any evidence Ginko accelerated the process. The same would happened if Ginko wouldn't have been there.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Gundam ZZ 38-47 END

Why quit your Gundam-a-thon now when the next TV series is exactly the respite that you're looking for? Victory Gundam's Uso is the moest Gundam protagonist and the ladies just can't seem to keep their hands off of him. It's basically a Gundam harem anime brimming with Yoshiyuki Tomino's avant-garde comedy genius.

Are you a bad enough dude to Stand Up To the Victory?

Shingeki no Bahamut 09

I was wonder how close they would stick with Jeanne's legend and well I certainly got my answer in this episode. Being as she's my very character at the moment in this show I hated seeing her got blamed for shit she didn't do and the king has completely gone off the deep end. You'd think he'd realize pissing off angels by killing their chosen one would be a bad thing. Also pretty amusing too see that Rita is discovering vital information to possible fix the problem even though it seem Beelz has caught he. Not all that shocked about what that old dragon told Farv since I figure out a long time ago that Amira would probably have to die to fix everything involving Bahamut.

phaze

She swears all of her people were killed horribly and scattered to the winds, but they weren't. They just live in the same place. She might as well be whining that they're all dead by the 20th century.

Its not like its just that. That's just a minor complaint about it. There's a ton of reasons why Saber's whole goal is kind of nonsense.

And again, her kingdom was conquered, the culture of her people and their language wiped out. To what extent were they killed off horribly or just put into slavery or servitude is an on going argument and one without a definitive answer but those were clearly not very happy times for them. I don't think it's much of a stretch that she feels regret over this, especially since she seems to spend all her free time in some Camlannesque time limbo.

You're ignoring the whole bit about how the Saxons, Arthur's enemies, eventually took over Britain...
Pretty much.

Shin Sekai Yori 16

An exquisite, beautiful and emotionally exhaustive assault on my poor feels.
Saki and Maria are my favourites among the main cast so this hurt much more than the episode 10. Though I fear that the large focus on this relationship and the continuous hinting of future sad events means this will not end very well. The sudden exploration of the similarity between querats and humans and of source of energy for Cantus makes me think I'm in for some ground breaking revelations in this department soon.

Gunslinger Stratos TV anime in April 2015. Staff:

Director: Shinpei Ezaki
Series Composition: Norimitsu Kaiho (Nitroplus)
Character Designer: Shin’ichi Yokota
Music: Tetsuya Kobayashi
Production: A-1 Pictures

Nitroplus is listed for scenario, Urobuchi is credited as original creator. PV: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c5gkx

Does that actually mean he's for once responsible for the entire script or is he mostly just lending his name as usual lately?

NeonZ

Does that actually mean he's for once responsible for the entire script or is he mostly just lending his name as usual lately?

It seems like it's just lending his name. The main script writer likely will be that one.

duckroll

It seems like it's just lending his name. The main script writer likely will be that one.

Nitroplus is also credited for "script production", so the other writers there are probably going to be helping out too, like in Gargantia. Butch might not even write a single episode. I don't see how he's "lending his name" though, this is an anime based on the arcade games which he worked on.

Ah okay, thanks. Wasn't even aware of this being some game adaption (or having its origin there), though I have heard the name plenty before actually :/

Blusby

Gunslinger Stratos TV anime in April 2015. Staff:

Director: Shinpei Ezaki
Character Designer: Shin’ichi Yokota
Music: Tetsuya Kobayashi
Production: A-1 Pictures

Nitroplus is listed for scenario, Urobuchi is credited as original creator. PV: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2c5gkx

I'm very interested, looks like we have a boat load of cool stuff to look forward to next year.

Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero 09: Holy damn was that an emotional episode. This series is probably my favorite of the season and hopefully it ties up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom