• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I'm really liking the Utena opening.

^ Femme, was that the episode with the boulder deflection? Those couple episodes I'm a bit iffy about. I think they set the atmosphere nicely but the animation quality is lacking badly in there and it just didn't feel that interesting. (Being overly critical here). I think after this mini-arc is over the real good stuff begins though.

Jex

From the New World Ep. 6

While they are prodigies,
I don't think Satoru's abilities were built up enough. His feats in this episode stretched my suspension of disbelief because nothing he or any of the other kids had done prior had been on this level. While he did tire himself out it was still a bit much.

It'll all make sense soon...

^ Femme, was that the episode with the boulder deflection? Those couple episodes I'm a bit iffy about. I think they set the atmosphere nicely but the animation quality is lacking badly in there and it just didn't feel that interesting. (Being overly critical here). I think after this mini-arc is over the real good stuff begins though.
Yeah.

Jex

THIS IS WHAT SAILOR MOON CRYSTAL ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE

csmoonlybff.png

/XX/

Yeah, I just felt like mentioning it considering the style of the music and the fact that Amano is glued to him for now.
I see. Yep, we only have the 'Demo'-labelled tracks from his latest soundtracks to give us a taste of Mr. Sagisu's pre-arrangements transcriptions!

Terra Formars - 02

Lord give me strength to endure this censoring. Atleast I found best girl.
Decent episode, I do wonder how the enemy got on the ship. Unless they were some sort of samples brought onboard that escaped.

cajunator

Banned
Heard this on the end of this week's Super Best Friendcast, thought it was cool enough to be worth sharing.

LIFE FIBERS, DAUGHTER

Nui always garners my interest. Will give ghis a listen today.

You guys either need to read the Tsukihime Manga or Read to VN.

Seriously, the characters in Tsukihime blow the Fate characters out of the water...but never, ever watch the anime...because it doesn't exist. It's like dividing by zero,

(I actually like the Manga more than the VN in some situations)

Tsukihime anime does exist but I fully understand why people pretend it doesnt.

[Hotarubi no Mori e ]

I realise that I meant to watch this way back in 2012. Hey, at least I'm getting around to these things eventually!

Anyway, this was a very well maid, if somewhat predictable, little story. It neatly encapsulates a great deal of the tropes of these 'youkai' stories into a single narrative, even if it doesn't really do anything out of the ordinary with them.

A pun I don't get it?

Jex

[Log Horizon 2] - 1

Well, the change is studio is certainly noticeable. The character art, in general, looks worse and the background art now looks extremely generic. This is disappointing, to say the least.

I can't say that I was a fan of the direction of this episode. The non-linear chronology didn't really work for me because there wasn't any rhyme or reason to it, instead it just felt like a jumbled mess. In addition, most of the cinematography was fairly bland.

In addition, the first half of the episode features more stupid relationship stuff which is never a good ting. The episode improved in the second half, which is when get onto "Log Horizon-y" themes and topics.

Hmm.

WooOooOoow All the Anime got the license for the new Gundam!

http://www.alltheanime.com/gundam/

Will watch later today.

[Log Horizon 2] - 1

Well, the change is studio is certainly noticeable. The character art, in general, looks worse and the background art now looks extremely generic. This is disappointing, to say the least.

I can't say that I was a fan of the direction of this episode. The non-linear chronology didn't really work for me because there wasn't any rhyme or reason to it, instead it just felt like a jumbled mess. In addition, most of the cinematography was fairly bland.

In addition, the first half of the episode features more stupid relationship stuff which is never a good ting. The episode improved in the second half, which is when get onto "Log Horizon-y" themes and topics.

Hmm.

That's disappointing to hear, but then again s1 also had a slow start and I didn't like it until a few episodes in(rarely do I like anime from the get go lol).

Log Horizon 2 - 1
what does it means?!
i have no idea what was going on. The beginning and the ending was there for no bloody reason than some stupid foreshadowing, and it could have gone smoothly on without it AT ALL.

but yeah guys, DATABASE DATABASE is back.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 1:

We have returned to the database and it is glorious, it has not missed a step,
although it looks like we are shifting time quite a bit, I think I counted three different time periods in this one episode.
Still, Log Horizon has wasted no time in announcing the new stakes that are at hand and things look stunningly dire for the great capital of Akihaibra. You can tell it is a new season as we get introduced to new characters, some of which seemed to have come from a Koren MMORPG, and new factions, as we learn of a new top player in the politics of this world.
The Kunie Clan seems to be a very powerful indeed if they are in control of the some of the very mechanics themselves. Indeed, this episode reminds me of how masterfully it blends MMORPG tropes and obscure flavor text into meaning large and profound things. I like the idea of in order to get a giant payday, the Round Table is going to have to go to the very source of gold and to try and take it over.
Damnation, I already want it to be next week, Log Horizon is back and it looks better then ever.

Jex

Log Horizon 2 - 1
what does it means?!
i have no idea what was going on. The beginning and the ending was there for no bloody reason than some stupid foreshadowing, and it could have gone smoothly on without it AT ALL.

but yeah guys, DATABASE DATABASE is back.

I'm pretty sure the intro/outro where just present as a way of saying "Don't worry guys, while people might be talking right now there'll totally be action later!". Which is kind of dumb because that's not why most people, myself included, are watching this series.

More importantly:

Midonin

Sailor Moon Crystal 07

Not much of a zombie apocalypse. This is reminding me of something the toku version did that I like better. It introduced Minako (even as Venus) long before the "truth of the past" part of the story started to come around. Her entrance here was pretty good for the show, and I look forward to seeing more of Shizuka Itou's performance in the role. And Milhouse was creepy even before the brainwashing DVD took effect.

[Log Horizon 2] - 1

Hmm.

Wait, change of studios? I just supposed it was the same, so I haven't be reading news. What was the old one, and which is now?

cajunator

Banned
From the New World Ep. 3

This is getting interesting.
I figured the new species were human designed but a living holographic storage device? Fascinating. Though that instantly brings to mind why you would have something like that just walking out in nature. Obviously, it's partly to avoid suspicion especially given its hypnotic defense system. If it's to simply transport data between locations certainly there would be better means to do so.

this is where things start to get very foreboding and for good reason. You sense that the characters are in very real danger and you cant say why yet. You just feel it. The music sets up the mysterious and perilous atmosphere so well.

Red coloring, and my impression that despite good sense Kurumi is most popular. So I automatically assumed it would be Kurumi.

I...guess thats fair. Kurumi is the best regardless, as long as you arrive at that conclusion.

That cute. I guess I gotta watch Log Horizon now?

I miss Mikorin :(

Haha yeah. Dont forget the unbuttoned blazers. Only delinquents wear their blazers unbuttoned.

Then theres the OIIII OOIIIII and the really long and tongue-y KORRRRRRRRAAAAAAAA when they call out to the MC.

Hell yes you need to watch Log Horizon!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
[Log Horizon 2] - 1

Well, the change is studio is certainly noticeable. The character art, in general, looks worse and the background art now looks extremely generic.
That sounds like Log Horizon to me.

[Log Horizon 2] - 1

Hmm.
I def agree with you on what you have mention.

mankoto

Log Horizon S2 1
Everything about this looks generic and flat... Unlike Kanami whose new bustline is absurd compared to her season 1 variant.

Well, season 1 was good since the characters felt highly capable on their own and weren't stupid. As long as DEEN can keep that part up, everything should be okay
I hope.

The foreshadowing/spoiler at the end was completely unnecessary.

Why are the monsters level 91 when the level cap is 90? Sure, where they're going the monsters are expected to be high level, but above the cap is a bit much.

sonicmj1

Log Horizon 2 - 1

I'm not a fan of the jump-forwards they used here. They're really unnecessary. The first season knew how to imply future events for book-readers with well-placed cameos without having to throw off the chronology. The whole thing is like the worst of Attack on Titan manga pacing, and I feel like they should have a little more faith in their audience. Even when the first season assumed viewers might not understand basic online game terminology, it still respected that they'd be invested in all the non-combat stuff going on in Elder Tale.

Similarly, it's definitely a worse-looking show, and I think that's most obvious in the scenes in Akihabara. Contrary to what some people here are saying, Log Horizon had some pretty strong background work (see Jexhius's impressions of episode 1 for a bunch of examples), but there's nothing comparable here. The dungeon entrance just reads "cave with metal door", and there's a wide shot of Akihabara that somehow manages to lack a single distinguishing landmark of the city.

iPPYYXEaqndjQ.jpg

Can you see the big tree? The Guild Hall? The Cathedral? The wall around the city? Anything?

The quality of the scenario hasn't diminished in any way, fortunately, with its impetus based on problems with MMO economics in the face of the more modern economy that developed inside Elder Tale. Depending on how Shiroe's quest relates with whatever Akatsuki is going to be doing, it could be another great adventure. But this first episode isn't getting off on the right foot as a production.

Link Man

Banned
Log Horizon S2 1

Yeah, it did kind of jump around a lot, making it a bit difficult to follow. And the abuse of Akatsuki continues. But I'm glad it's back.
And I'm glad they kept DATABASE.

phaze

Garo - Episode 1

Those interested in dark hero stories and medieval settings would probably want to check out at least the first episode.

Sounds interesting, medieval settings always tickle my fancy.

Bolded pretty much describes the entire series, although I still loved it.

Yeah it's getting pretty crazy now. I thought that the Russia arc was distinctly unimpressive but the show has gotten much better since they got England.

Chevalier D'Eon 19-20

previous thread post said:
D'Eon is awfully quick quick to trust people who flat out admit to joining him on 3rd party's requests.
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif
I can't handle all those twists.
Both Robin and Teillagory, the blandest character in the crew especially, haven't don't anything rise my suspicions so this turn of events surprised me to say the least. I'm not sure how much sense it makes given that he aided D'Eon's cause in many tight spots.

The "Louis XV was behind Lia's death" reveal seems to be even more problematic if true. Why would Robespierre not reveal it to D'Eon or Durand ? He at least seems to have some cunning plan involving E'on and the Psalm so I'll wait. But why would Lia take over when it was time to fight Poets and their minions and not when she was standing right beside her murderer ? Retribution my ass.

RIP in Paix
Durand.
You were the best character.

Log Horizon 2 - 1

I rather enjoyed that. I like the new direction that the story is taking where at the very least there seems to be some kind of endgoal in mind besides just world building. Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved the world building but two things I always felt nagging me about the first season was there really didn't feel like there was so real goal to work to. Another thing they seem to be addressing is that the OP seems to be implying that there will in fact be more fighting. That was the second nagging thing about the first season. There was just a distinct lack of fighting that went on from a story about being 'trapped in an MMO'.

HK4jlQI.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Log Horizon 2-1

Yea there seems to have been a drop in the animation quality, even if the show wasn't exactly a looker before.

What's more bothersome though is that the direction has kinda gone down the toilet. The flow of events is just sort of weird.

Like what the fuck at that ending? Did they jump even further in time? Just poor direction. If anything that should have been the opening scene.

sonicmj1

Log Horizon 2 - 1

I rather enjoyed that. I like the new direction that the story is taking where at the very least there seems to be some kind of endgoal in mind besides just world building. Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved the world building but two things I always felt nagging me about the first season was there really didn't feel like there was so real goal to work to. Another thing they seem to be addressing is that the OP seems to be implying that there will in fact be more fighting. That was the second nagging thing about the first season. There was just a distinct lack of fighting that went on from a story about being 'trapped in an MMO'.

The first season had its goal-oriented arcs, as well as its more reactive arcs. The first two sets of stories (Serara Rescue, the Round Table) began with clear objectives in mind that were achieved. The jump-forwards don't make this feel any different in that respect.

And personally, fighting is the least-interesting thing to hear about when people talk about MMO games.

Log Horizon 2-1

Yea there seems to have been a drop in the animation quality, even if the show wasn't exactly a looker before.

What's more bothersome though is that the direction has kinda gone down the toilet. The flow of events is just sort of weird.

Like what the fuck at that ending? Did they jump even further in time?

The flow of the conversation across different groups at the pumpkin party felt a lot sloppier here than similar scenes from last season. Not impossibly bad, but not quite up to par.

And that second time jump in particular really bothers me. I'm less interested in what will come because of it.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - 01

Darku flamu masta
So this is the source of all those gifs and youtube videos I've seen around

It's pretty charming with all the quirky stuff, like the train door opening. Right now Takanashi is on a thin line between cute and annoying, but as times goes on I bet I'll embrace the chuuni
I found the shame of Yuuta's past hilarious, as he so desperately tries to leave it behind. Dat Shinka tho.

Jarmel

Banned
The flow of the conversation across different groups at the pumpkin party felt a lot sloppier here than similar scenes from last season. Not impossibly bad, but not quite up to par.

And that second time jump in particular really bothers me. I'm less interested in what will come because of it.

That ending would have been a decent opening scene if the whole season was a flashback in that sense. The problem is that the placement in the actual episode is pisspoor as the scene is just randomly thrown at the ending. At first I was wondering whether the show was just going to skip everything and jump forward to Christmas but it looks like they're jumping back. The chronological time is handled really sloppily inside the episode. So why did the director feel the need to jump forwards only to jump backwards right after? Why not have Shiroe explain to the group right after and then jump forward the 10 days? It's unnecessary.

The conversations definitely weren't as well directed as the previous scene. The storyboarding was a bit of a mess.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Log Horizon 2 - 1
The dungeon entrance just reads "cave with metal door", and there's a wide shot of Akihabara that somehow manages to lack a single distinguishing landmark of the city.
Most of the locations you're citing as iconic wouldn't stand out overhead or from a city-wide view. Log Horizon has always had issues when it comes to creating distinguished focal points that the viewer is able to identify. The actual context of the shot you posted is to help show the season change, which plays through a landscape shot.

/XX/

Similarly, it's definitely a worse-looking show, and I think that's most obvious in the scenes in Akihabara. Contrary to what some people here are saying, Log Horizon had some pretty strong background work (see Jexhius's impressions of episode 1 for a bunch of examples), but there's nothing comparable here. The dungeon entrance just reads "cave with metal door", and there's a wide shot of Akihabara that somehow manages to lack a single distinguishing landmark of the city.
Ishigaki Production was pretty busy lately with the final episodes for 'SPACE☆DANDY' (http://seesaawiki.jp/w/radioi_34/d/...12473;☆ダンディ)... so, is BONES to blame? Didn't they have enough already with the hoarding of animators in numbers that are half the talent of the whole Japanese industry and part of abroad? :-D

Log Horizon 2 - Episode 1

Pretty boring start to such a boring initial quest. While the mystery sounds compelling much of the episode was hard to enjoy. At least there was Tohya!
BzG1fxwIgAAHLcu.jpg

CR is finally on a Kindle Fire HD app store at least, before had to use other means to get it there.

Log horizon S2 - first minute

wait ...wait what's happening ??

Why are you spoiling the major moments of book 6,7,9 in a row without context ?
WTF ..without context it's missing all the impact.
Who thought this was a GOOD idea ?

OMG as a massive LH reader who is up to date with the book they are even spilling the beans on book 9 that isn't even released

fertygo

DEEN ruin another potential series? I'm totally shocked.

That said first few eps of LH S1 also not exactly memorable either.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Pupipo 1-15
Final episode revelation is just....wow.
This is great. First half focus on SOL and comedy, but final episode went all drama, and an effective one. Dammit, this is good.

Madan no Ou to Vanadis Episode 01

Compare to LN, it's way faster.
But even i already read the LN, i think anime's plot is still pretty smooth, decent first episode.
Yeah i know there's jiggling, but it's not much(hell they even deleted some LN fan service)
And about Vanadis clothes,that's an unfortunate(MF bunko J after all lol, editor's order, even author not want to).
Oh and i love the OP song.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

OMG as a massive LH reader who is up to date with the book they are even spilling the beans on book 9 that isn't even released

Wouldn't be the first time this has happened.
Looking at you Season 1 OP.

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 27
BzG1QqqIEAExq19.jpg

They remembered this week. Funny filler episode with Sting Lector and Rogue following Frosh sama.

Best moment when Natsu and Lucy did all that property damage to Frog Traders and Sting was impressed.

Midonin

Vanadis 01

I can already see how this can get some recognition in the Western fanbase, but being different is, by itself, not enough to instantly be praised. In a lot of ways, the tone reminded me of something like Tears to Tiara. It's been done in anime before, but that doesn't mean it's unoriginal, it just means it's the next step in how stories have been evolving in otaku culture over time.

Tigre defines himself and is defined in the show by a real sense of humanity, and establishes that this is a season for Archers. (And velociraptors?). I also like Elen. Haruka Tomatsu has always been a favorite of mine, and she did a good job with the role. The bath scene was nice, too, and while the show has as many fictional countries and terminology as Dragonar, it's presenting it in a way where the viewer is eased into things a little easier. And not just through the eyecatches that explain said terminology.

While I concende that Garo has the best opening animation so far, this, at least music-wise, is one of the best songs, right out of the gate. The ED's pretty good, too. The battles look interesting, but I'm also interested in Tigre's new castle life. Give your fantasy series some struggle, some humanity, and that can go the distance far more than any shallow "badass" ever can.

Jex

lol what a disaster. Feels like a decision from someone in marketing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, for somebody who is not versed in the LNs, there was know way to gauge that just from the scenes themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom