• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
So this morning we have Log Horizon Season 2 and a new episode of Sailor Moon Crystal and the premiere of Magic Kaito 1412 is happening as well. Who says Saturday morning cartoons are dead?

Implying Sailor Moon Crystal is keeping Saturday morning cartoons alive.

Astro Fighter Sunred 19

FDn1lvA.jpg

Well, after the Sun finally bowed to the Moon in this episode due to Florsheim's terrifying monster Hellwolf, I'm intrigued where the plot will go next.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Implying Sailor Moon Crystal is keeping Saturday morning cartoons alive.

It has it is issues yes, but is a lot better put together then some people would have you believe. Shit, it is better in some regards then the old 1990s anime in fact.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Looking back, Doug was a really weird show.

It became almost forgettable for me because of the release schedule and Toei. It definitely does something right, im not sure what exactly.

Well, that isn't the fault of the content. Anyway, it has better characterization of the Sailor Scouts, especially Sailor Moon and doesn't have to be trapped in MoTW territory every god damned week.

TUSR

Banned
Well, that isn't the fault of the content. Anyway, it has better characterization of the Sailor Scouts, especially Sailor Moon and doesn't have to be trapped in MoTW territory every god damned week.

Not being serialized is exactly what it does right. When I watched the 90s cartoon as a kid, I had no idea what was going on in the main story because of the MoTW format.

Woo, new Log Horizon soon, had lost track on that series. Who else is hype?

Did you finish S1?

More like Sailor Snooze

Did you give up on Destiny too?

I just realized this is the first week in half a year we don't have Onii-sama gracing us with his presence. S2 can't come soon enough, need that aunt Maya.

TUSR

Banned
Yep, one of the few series I actually finished. By lost track I meant, when the new season would air.

More looking forward to watching this than starting S2 of Sword Art.

Its way better than the second arc of S1, but that doesn't really say much.

Did you give up on Destiny too?

I just realized this is the first week in half a year we don't have Onii-sama gracing us with his presence. S2 can't come soon enough, need that aunt Maya.

I played today with two of the people I regularly play with but yeah, pretty much. I might play occasionally and when new stuff comes out, but I've lost the desire/excitement to play.

Link Man

Banned
So this morning we have Log Horizon Season 2 and a new episode of Sailor Moon Crystal and the premiere of Magic Kaito 1412 is happening as well. Who says Saturday morning cartoons are dead?

Nobody's picked up Magic Kaito 1412, have they? Looked interesting.

Dresden

g-reco 2 -

The characters are so happy in the ED.

I think my favorite moment is the complete lack of transition in between
Bellri killing the Captain
and
Aida weeping about it after the act.
Second favorite is the one everyone noted -
the interrupted explanation cut in by a nonsensical combat scene
. The episode is a mess, editing wise. Which in animation is storyboarding for the most part. And Tomino is really bad at this.

Episode 3 is going to be great.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hyouka 22 (rewatch):
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I'm not ready for this to end ;~;

phaze

Reconquista made me appreciate just what a masterpiece Aldnoah was. Thank you Tomino.

Chevalier D'Eon 18

Mindfuck the episode.

I think its probably the first show where I really notice lack of detail in long and medium distance shots. Shit is annoying especially in the latter case.

It's ok man.

You can watch chuu2 and knk to soothe yourself.

I can't wait for

Chuu 3: Nobody stops this fucking train Chuu Chuu

In this season the protagonist doesn't deal with his extremely mentally ill girlfriend who can't even hold her boyfriend's hand because uguuu indirect kiss only with hands or some shit. Also he mercilessly physically abuses her when he is displeased with her actions, because sitting down to talk wouldn't be #hilarious

There's also an annoying girl who can't stop saying Death because engrish, and a girl who falls asleep and apparently nobody has called medical experts as to why she can't spend 5 seconds without sleeping.

edit: I just realized alongside KnK, this is the second KyoAni show with the protagonist hitting women. Maybe they should've done Fate Stay Night.

Steins;Gate - 11

Hmm, Kurisu's backstory with her father is pretty interesting. Didn't expect
it to involve her own father being jealous of her own daughter's talents being better than his.

And holy shit at
the latest message from SERN. I almost jumped out of my seat at that moment.

Steins;Gate - 11

SERN or whoever ain't fucking around.

Had a bit of exposition on Kurisu, and Okarin now seems out of his mind.

Almost there now...

This post only appears here because my avatar demands it.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA 2wei!

Honestly, I don't feel that having ufotable on this project instead of Silver Link would be that dramatic an improvement, or even an improvement at all. In every imaginable way, Silver Link has consistently delivered on every possible promise they could have made while being in charge of Illya's spinoff series. The fights are so incredibly beautifully animated that even ufotable should be impressed. Silver Link has literally put everything they have into this anime. The rest of the show is perfectly paced and scripted and faithfully captures the source material without any hesitation.

There is pretty much nothing else I could have asked for from this adaptation of 2wei! except that it take plenty of time and adapt the considerably longer second manga series properly. So this being only the first of split cours, as was done for Fate/zero, is pretty much everything I could have hoped for. I guess I have to count the days until the second half of the show premieres in 2015. In the meantime, onwards to ufotable's Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works series!

Reconquista made me appreciate just what a masterpiece Aldnoah was. Thank you Tomino.

Chevalier D'Eon 18

Mindfuck the episode.

I think its probably the first show where I really notice lack of detail in long and medium distance shots. Shit is annoying especially in the latter case.

Bolded pretty much describes the entire series, although I still loved it.

TheRancor

Forgot to bring in the earlier post the latest teaser for that Mr. Anno's retrospective:

ニコニコチャンネル限定配信! 第27回東京国際映画祭 特集上映「庵野秀明の世界」Bタイプ (C)2014 TIFF / J-LOP - Niconico Douga: Ginza
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1412252354

The thing is... that music theme doesn't seem new to me, I have the impression Mr. Sagisu has extracted and re-arranged it out of his back-catalogue of compositions from earlier works (same situation as some tunes at the Rebuild of Evangelion movies), but I can't exactly pinpoint from what one...
Regardless of the music's origin, considering his skills I doubt Shiro Sagisu orchestrated that by himself. :p

Anything that has to do with a big orchestra, he always has someone to help or even carry him, someone like Masamichi Amano for instance in recent times.

TheRancor

It bothers me that people are writing G-reco and not G-recon. If you are going to split words, at least split in between syllables!
http://www.g-reco.net/

I mean I can't judge completely I was petty before when I wouldn't watch older shows due to non-HD. But I got over it.
Wait for blurays if they ever release? (Too bad for early digital shows)

Or are you talking about aspect ratio cause that's a different thing lol.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken Episode 1
Its short but
bYCPp.png

Gundam: G no Reconguista 1
holy shit it fucking corny and shit.
It's a show in the 80's except someone forgot it's 2014.

selector spread WIXOSS 01

A little bit of recap and a little bit of how things are now in this episode. Not at all suprised to see Ru has been 'secretly' depressed the entire time since the end of the first season. On the same hand I'm not surprised at all she's carrying around Iona. No way in hell Ru was ever gonna throw her away or not use her, that's just not her character I think. I expect great things out of Iona trolling her constantly throughout the series.

JoeFu

Banned
Oh yeah did I watch Fate Zero wrong by watching the CR streams? I forgot people said Netflix had the extended scenes and stuff. Oh well. Maybe I'll rewatch it some day.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 7:

A pox on the people who thought this secluding process was a good idea as I had forgotten exactly what had happened in the previous episode. Anyway, as the title denotes we get the gist on Mamoru's backstory and motivations and from what I can tell they are pretty consistent with other versions of the story. Indeed the search for the McGuffin Crystal is heating up as The Big Bad awakens and I see this version is actually giving Queen Beryl her own motivations and backstory.
I find that amusing since as I recall the manga actually disposed of Beryl fairly quickly in favor of making Matalia the focus of things at late stages. Then again, Crystal is not exactly playing with full rules of the manga.

Anyway, one of the worst things the original series did in its first season was the mishandling of Sailor Venus, introducing her at a time when some major events were happening. Aside from telling the scouts where to go she quickly faded into the background and stayed in the background until the remembered to give her some semblance of her backstory many episodes later, and they even bungled that by having Usagi act way out of character. I truly do hope Crystal gives Minako a chance to shine and show people why she one of the more interesting sailor scouts.

Jex

[Hotarubi no Mori e ]

I realise that I meant to watch this way back in 2012. Hey, at least I'm getting around to these things eventually!

Anyway, this was a very well maid, if somewhat predictable, little story. It neatly encapsulates a great deal of the tropes of these 'youkai' stories into a single narrative, even if it doesn't really do anything out of the ordinary with them.

/XX/

Subbed Garo never.
FUNimation picked it... sadly that will prevent us from enjoying Over-Time's take on it given their experience with 'toku' shows:

Over-Time on Twitter: "Garo Anime dropped, also yes we're doing KR Drive http://t.co/ZfaS2SVjQq"
https://twitter.com/overtimesubs/status/518143994883084288

Regardless of the music's origin, considering his skills I doubt Shiro Sagisu orchestrated that by himself. :p
I didn't actually mention anything about orchestration but, yeah that's true... although he as always has kept a close supervision of that process since the beginning of the Rebuild of Evangelion project.

jgminto

G Gundam 7
There it is. Tequila Gundam was a pretty big pushover, Domon probably didn't even need to bust out the Shining Finger to finish him off but it made sense for a character that wasn't interested in fighting. It was fun to see Crocket and his Maxter again though.

From the New World Ep. 6

While they are prodigies,
I don't think Satoru's abilities were built up enough. His feats in this episode stretched my suspension of disbelief because nothing he or any of the other kids had done prior had been on this level. While he did tire himself out it was still a bit much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom