• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Mahouka Overall Thoughts
The anime lacked the....spirit of the anime. My worst fear came through when they just nonchalantly skip all the explanation that was necessary for the show, the small details that was important was gone and the fights playing like a stop motion show. The fights were fast and deadly in the light novel, nobody had time to push buttons like a old man, but that is what happened in the anime anyway.

Many explanations were gone. What is decomposition? How did he managed to make the flying spell work? What did miyuki did that made them stop during episode 25? Much as i remember, the anime to not even try to tell the viewers the inner workings of the system of magic in its world, and mahouka lived on its explanations.

As someone who made a point of not watching any of this series past episode 1, I can't make my own judgments. But it's interesting to contrast your impressions with this other post. It reminds me of the difference between people who watch an adaptation because they want to see the original work move, and people who watch the adaptation because they just want to see a good story.

But this series made magic so damn boring. I don't care how well constructed your world is if I don't care about the people in it, and the side characters barely got to do anything until the final arc - and all these arcs were too long. Too long, and if the magic stuff was shown instead of told - or at least told as much as necessary - it could be much more tolerable. Just shove all of it off into a guidebook and focus on the freaking characters.

In a visual medium, you need a lot less explanation for things because you can see them happen in front of you. This is often true for explanatory lore, and it can be true for inner monologue as well, when handled properly. You can show, and not tell, and let the audience draw their own conclusions.

It seems like Mahouka wound up in an unhappy medium where it explained more than it needed for people who didn't care, without explaining enough for people who were already fans of the property.

Full Fall Chart available here.
Not going to list every show but just highlight the notables from most likely to save our hobby to those most likely to rightfully doom it.

XSUsiGR.jpg

World Trigger - PV
DTL asked that I include this for reasons that aren’t entirely clear to me.

Cuk2nOd.jpg

Orenchi no Furo Jijou
DTL asked that I include this for reasons that are entirely clear to me.

Two best anime of the new season getting mentioned, nice.

My watching list for next season will be:
Amagi Brilliant Park
Donten ni Warau
FSN
Garo
Build Fighters Try
G no Reconguista
Log Horizon
7 Deadly Sins
Orenchi no Furo Jijou
Psycho Pass 2
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Terraformars
Tribe Cool Crew
World Trigger
Yowapeda

Akame, Sailor Moon Crystal, Argevollen, SAO, Majin Bone, Oreca Battle, Dragon Collection, Hero Bank, Yugioh Arc-V, Cardfight Vanguard Link Joker (engDub), Future Card Buddyfight (engdub), and Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster (Bd).

It seems like Mahouka wound up in an unhappy medium where it explained more than it needed for people who didn't care, without explaining enough for people who were already fans of the property.

mmm. The series was already hard to get into with the LN, as its get super deep into the fine inner workings of the magic. Everything was explained and given a reason why they work, thus the school competition arc was 3 volumes long.

I mean there are some explanations you could throw out, but you could not throw the important ones out and that was what madhouse did.

As said, this is not a series if you want action, action, action. The LN will bombard you with lots of info, so its a matter of you liked it or not.

Edit:since i have this post here, i see that nobody have my guilty pleasure, aka trinity seven in their watch list. I am very sad of this fact.

Midonin

As the guy who made the other post, I wasn't looking for action. I expected the series to be the fantasy world version of Oreimo, only with the otaku subculture replaced with magical lore or something. The explanations are problematic, but at least there are ways to work around that. There's far fewer ways to work around the terrible politics.

Nozaki-kun END

Despite being one of the biggest cliches as an ending, I'm totally ok with that. I enjoyed the journey and had plenty of laughs along the way. Chiyo is a great MC and I simply wish there had been more of her because the episodes with her were the greatest. I had considered skipping this series when it first aired and I'm glad I didn't.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighters 17
An entire episode dedicated to Mao and his teaching at the dojo. The faceoff between Mao and Reiji wasn't as good as I hoped. I guess that proves that the imagination is a powerful thing. Kinda disappointed in Thailand's rep losing. Reiji and him deserve a proper faceoff

duckroll

Barakamon - Episode 10-12 (End)

I really like how this show wrapped up. Along with Haikyu, I would say it's the best ending this season. The final arc was thematically consistent, and I found a lot of the character emotions very authentic. The show has an exaggerated style where characters tend to overreact for comedy, but at the same time, behind those actions it always feels like there is a real emotion being expressed or compensated for. I think the last few episodes really show how much Handa has grown as a person, and also how important his friendship with the children on the island is. It was nice seeing that contrast with his home in Tokyo and a look into his life with his parents too. In the end, the conclusion to the story felt earned and was very satisfying.

Branduil

You know, it's kind of funny that the ending of Space Dandy ended up being legitimately more heartfelt than Terror in Resonance.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighters 18
The amount of tactics the brothers used was impressive. If Yuuki didn't take the name "Meijin Kawaguchi," seriously, he would've lost.

Berserk - 16

So Casca had a group waiting for the troops to leave the castle, but to no surprise the team rocket commander shows up yet again. Hopefully he's dead this time.
Oh no, Guts sword broke. But fear not, Zodd-san coming to the rescue, throwing Guts a bone (sword).
Time for Eclipse? Demon king is coming? On top of that the noblemen and even the queen is plotting to kill Griffith. Guts is planning to leave soon, and it makes me wonder what Griffith is going to do that causes Guts to go berserk in E01

cajunator

Banned
woot now I can put a first page recommendation for anime of the year No Game No Life :p

also
barakamon end
decent ending, slightly tempted to pick up the manga.

Irregular at magic high end
while I enjoyed the series as a whole I wasn't a fan of the last episode... way to much data dumping in the middle.

SAO 13
went as expected but I didn't mind the ep.

NGNL is definitely one of the best this year. Aoty is probably Non Non Biyori though.

Mike Tyson Mysteries looks like Anime of the Decade material. Dunno why I'd bother watching anything else when that can quench my entertainment thirst.

Indeed that looks amazing. If not good at least entertaining in that old school cartoon way.

TOMINO THE GOD

amagi brilliant park
FSN
GBF Try
Gundam: G no Reconguista
Kiseijuu
Log Horizon 2
Mushishi
7 deadly sins

anime's death is slightly delayed!

fertygo

Mahouka's anime already wordy and boring enough as it is, and the more ideal "adaptation" is supposed even more wordy? Zeus...

They should just goes total Horizon (in the Middle of the Nowhere) cut all of that nonsense and focus making it into epic scale battle animu.

Parasyte Parasyte Parasyte Parasyte Parasyte Parasyte!!!! Oct 9th can't come any closer, need to see Migi in action. And it's 2 cour so if this adaption does the manga justice. All that sour taste from last season (except for Barakamon/Nozaki kun) will vanish.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighters 19
Nils is called the "Early Genius," for a reason. He quickly saw through the ruse from Baker and just went to Sei and Reiji to try and get information which ended in failure. That said, Reiji and Nils was a pretty decent fist fight.

Jarmel

Banned
Prisma Illya 2-fin
So I finally got around to watching the back five episodes from this season and I have to say that I'm really impressed. The action sequences were very well framed and animated and despite a bit too much CGI at times, the bits flowed together really well. Bazett is a fucking monster. What I really enjoyed though were two main things, the climaxes and the character development. The season had some really good moments that capped off the progress of the characters and how they all feel towards each other. There really is a strong sense of friendship and a sense of believability as to why they all feel that way. I think Episode 9 and 10 were very strong in that regard. There were so many good scenes in episode 10 by Illya who really showed why she's the main character.

This was pretty enjoyable.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
::lol Aniplex why you so crazy. Turns out they aired Episode 1 (Shirou's point of view on the prologue) for FSN in theatres in Japan and Episode 0 (Rin's), in Europe-US. .

For what reason I have no idea.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighter 20
The next fight is going to get ugly. You can't fault Aila either since it was unconsciously done. I understand that the sponsor wanted them to win, but going from little strain to potentially deadly is uncalled for.

I guess the writing was on the wall since the first time they met and every time after that. I just chose not to see it.

duckroll

::lol Aniplex why you so crazy. Turns out they aired Episode 1 (Shirou's point of view on the prologue) for FSN in theatres in Japan and Episode 0 (Rin's), in Europe-US. .

For what reason I have no idea.

It's pretty easy to see why. Tokyo and Tokushima got ep1 because the VAs for Shiro and Saber were at the Tokyo event, and the Tokushima screening was following Tokyo's. Osaka got ep0 because Rin's VA was there. The rest of the world gets ep0 because that's the actual first episode.

Narag

Space Dandy 18

That was lovely. Seems inspired to play with the idea of how a primitive culture perceives a celestial event then to successfully create a setting that feels as mystical as, say, the Yuasa or Choi eps felt alien.

fertygo

It's about 2-3 hours long to read with voices in the VN. Also consider there's 15 days and that covers the first 3.

I talking about the Rin's intro.. that thing should've 10 minute max for anime adaptation.

The hell you doing for 2-3 hour btw?

I finish fate route with auto-read and not skipping voice.

Man.. first 4 eps gonna such a chore.

I talking about the Rin's intro.. that thing should've 10 minute max for anime adaptation.

Not for Rin lovers that's for sure. Though I'm not one of them.

Fireblend

Banned
So let's see. I'll try to watch as many first episodes as possible and see what catches my attention. Things that sound like they might have potential:

F/SN - I have no idea what this show is about but I'll watch it because I've heard the name way too often and my gf apparently likes it.
Gundam: G no Reconguista - It's Gundam bro.
World Trigger - I like the character designs, but that ad posted in the previous thread kinda turned me off the animation style.

Would you guys care to recommend anything if I liked Barakamon this previous season?

I haven't watched Psycho-Pass or Gundam Build Fighters or Mushishi so despite their respective second seasons sounding interesting and appealing, I'll have to move them to the backlog.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

There's a walkthrough of it on Youtube auto-read with voice and it's literally 3 hours. So your recognition of time is extremely off.

2 hours to cover the first 3 days does seem a bit much.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's pretty easy to see why. Tokyo and Tokushima got ep1 because the VAs for Shiro and Saber were at the Tokyo event, and the Tokushima screening was following Tokyo's. Osaka got ep0 because Rin's VA was there. The rest of the world gets ep0 because that's the actual first episode.

That's still a pretty odd reason to air a show out of order. They could not done that and most people wouldn't have even mentioned it.

Midonin

Akame ga Kill 13

So we have a "the enemy of my enemy" situation at hand. I like episodes like this that are more focused on the comedy. It's the element that prevents this series from getting too far up itself, even when the violence is more gruesome than usual. I'm also wondering exactly how long it's going to be before someone makes an Esdeath AMV set to "Let It Go", assuming that nobody's done so already.

Jarmel

Banned
That's still a pretty odd reason to air a show out of order. They could not done that and most people wouldn't have even mentioned it.

The two episodes take place at the same time and cover different events. They're not seemingly sequential, so why not?

Besides I have to imagine that a number of fans were at the event that had their VA. So there were probably a high number of Rin fans in attendance at Osaka, so why not show them the Rin episode?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The two episodes take place at the same time and cover different events. They're not seemingly sequential, so why not?

The prologue exists for a reason your supposed to know what Archer's doing have the info dumped from a competent source and know the reason why Lancer kills you. So yes there is an order, if you treat the two entirely separate.

duckroll

But they're not airing anything out of order. These were just special screening events for the fans in each city. It's an early bird special, the show will still start next week for everyone else, and it'll be in order.

fertygo

Man I rather that eps 0 is blu-ray extra or something tbh, two intro with different POV seem pretty bizarre to watch as 1 hour premiere.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But they're not airing anything out of order. These were just special screening events for the fans in each city. It's an early bird special, the show will still start next week for everyone else, and it'll be in order.

I know but like I said if you aired the second episode of a show in world premier it is kind of odd..

Jarmel

Banned
The prologue exists for a reason your supposed to know what Archer's doing have the info dumped from a competent source and know the reason why Lancer kills you. So yes there is an order, if you treat the two entirely separate.

It's not a big deal or issue at all. Most people there are familiar with the VN.

Who gives a shit?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's not a big deal or issue at all. Most people there are familiar with the VN.

Who gives a shit?

Again like I said it's odd, that's all I was saying. Also there are people who watched it without having read the VN. You typically don't assume that your audience has read the source.

duckroll

Again like I said it's odd, that's all I was saying. Also there are people who watched it without having read the VN. You typically don't assume that your audience has read the source.

Anyone who pays 20 bucks to attend an event screening for something which will air on TV for free in a week absolutely does not give a fuck. This isn't a "general audience", these events are for the most hardcore of fans. :p

Jarmel

Banned

This was a fan event of an adaptation of an extremely popular source that has had multiple anime adaptations in the past. They wanted to do something nice for the VAs in attendance and the Shirou/Saver fans in the audience. That's all there is to it. I doubt very few people in the audience would have been lost.

Anyone who pays 20 bucks to attend an event screening for something which will air on TV for free in a week absolutely does not give a fuck. This isn't a "general audience", these events are for the most hardcore of fans. :p
Don't forget transportation costs and inconvenience factor.

Kansoku

So, I finally finished everything form this past season, here's my thoughts (ordered from most enjoyed to least enjoyed
and glasslip
):

1. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
This is amazing. I haven't laughed that much since Nichijou. And the only bad thing I can say about this is that it's too damn short, second season please. All the characters are amazing, they all have great chemistry, and they surely make the anime.

2. Aldnoah.Zero
Fuck the haters, this is really good. I loved both Inaho and Slaine, they're great characters. It's a shame that they obfuscate practically everyone else (but then again, the rest never did anything, so...). The plot is okay, is not awful as some might say, but it's not bloody amazing. The soundtrack is amazing, and the animation is pretty good too (the CG was just okay tho).

3. Zankyou no Terror
Fuck the haters 2. This has a great beginning and a great ending. Shame the middle is not that good. I think the way they made Five, from her personality to her actions, screwed the plot. I think the inclusion of Five is important and crucial to the plot, but not the way they've done. She shouldn't have such a "personal grudge" against Nine, and she shouldn't have done those crazy things. The soundtrack was spectacular, the animation was okay, tho the ending was beautiful (visually and musically).

4. Sengoku Basara: Judge End
This is pretty much Sengoku Basara. Was as expected. Was a fun ride, but was nothing extremely good.

5. Toukyou Ghoul
This was okay. The beginning was kinda lame, and the last two episodes were okay, but there were some nice parts in the middle towards the end. The censorship was ridiculous, especially considering that the
torture
in the end was way, way worse than anything they censored. Kinda boring overall.

6. Sabagebu
Was okay. Not my type of humor. The only time I really laughed was the whole Urara bathroom thing. That was really funny, from beginning to end.

7. Tokyo ESP
Stupid but got some enjoyment out of it. I really have nothing to say about it, it's mediocre as mediocre can get.

9345827938684793586794568e^138457918234619258618257. Glasslip
I used to take pride that most of the animes I watched were really good, or at least fine. Eureka Seven AO and A Pocket Full of Rainbows, and Umineko were the first to break this. Glasslip is the new entry to the "WHAT A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT I CAN'T BELIEVE I LOST MY TIME WITH THIS CRAP. WORSE THING EVER." family; With Nozaki-kun I couldn't find a bad thing about it. This is the opposite. I can't find a single good thing about it. Holy shit does this suck.

Anyway, I also watched No Game No Life this weekend:

No Game No Life - 1~12
This is amazing. I don't like the focus on echii that it sometimes have, but otherwise, it was extremely enjoyable.

fertygo

Personally I see it as some kind of event thing, Rin/Archer Side and Shirou side, like ducky said they had corresponding VAs.. you know what, as one that familiar with the content this actually made more sense than air it back-to-back on TV.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Yes.. I'm not disagreeing with that. But if I watched something and it turned out they skipped the beginning of it, It's something the crosses my mind as very unusual.

Anyway I heard Sakura got a big part in Shirou's POV I'm guessing because she'll be barely featured in the rest of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom