• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Ah okay. He didn't have many anime attached to him.

I suspect Keiichi Sato doesn't like working with "anime" writers. He made Tiger & Bunny with Masafumi Nishida, who writes for TV dramas, movies, and stage plays. In fact, T&B is the only anime he ever wrote for. Ikuko Takahashi who wrote Asura is also a stage writer who occasionally writes for anime. Tomohiro Suzuki wrote the Saint Seiya movie, and before working on a few T&B episodes, he was also a former TV drama writer.

In fact, I read an interview where they talked about the Saint Seiya movie and how Sato's directive from the start was to not make an anime style CG movie, but rather one that feels as much like a live action film as possible. That actually explains a lot with regards to how the movie looks. Lol.

Which shows do you think might be the most interesting this season aside from Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis?

I think aside from Bahamut, the most shows with the potential to be the most unique ones would be G-Reco, Parasyte, and Garo. Interesting doesn't always mean good though, so we'll see.

phaze

Le Chevalier D'Eon 02-05
louimxe3r.png
Good episode. They fixed the pacing which made all the dialogue and character interactions flow much more naturally. I got 3 good if short sword fights already so the show is already delivering in that department. D'Eon is awfully quick quick to trust people who flat out admit to joining him on 3rd party's requests.

Well what do you know ... I'll have to make a list of all faction and subfactions in this show to not lose track of them all.

The mysterious Russian fur dealer gets away but the bigger fish gets caught. I like what they've done with D'Orleans. By inspiring themselves on future events and the natural rivalry between the King and those next in line to the throne they made a pretty believable motivation for intrigue. His demise was anticlimactic though, he folded out without even attempting to put up a fight. I suppose it's more realistic this way and he seems to only have been Saint Germain's puppet anyway. Pompadour seems to the next one. I'm not sure if I can buy all the revolutionary crap she spouts. Decent string of episodes, I imagine D'Eon will set sail to Russia soon as well.

Jarmel

Banned
I suspect Keiichi Sato doesn't like working with "anime" writers. He made Tiger & Bunny with Masafumi Nishida, who writes for TV dramas, movies, and stage plays. In fact, T&B is the only anime he ever wrote for. Ikuko Takahashi who wrote Asura is also a stage writer who occasionally writes for anime. Tomohiro Suzuki wrote the Saint Seiya movie, and before working on a few T&B episodes, he was also a former TV drama writer.

In fact, I read an interview where they talked about the Saint Seiya movie and how Sato's directive from the start was to not make an anime style CG movie, but rather one that feels as much like a live action film as possible. That actually explains a lot with regards to how the movie looks. Lol.

Smart man. I would probably want to put a bullet through my head if I had to work with 'anime heavy' writers.

Berserk - 18

Well whaddya know, it was all part of an elaborate ruse. Togheter with Guts, Griffith with his burning vengeance makes the Queen toast and pretty much everyone who played a part.
Guts decides to leave, he can't live under the weight of Griffiths dream any longer.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighters 23
A nice festival before the end of the tournament. Everyone there is having fun making Gunpla and battling with them.

11861.png

Some are having too much fun... Seriously Ricardo, there are children here. Get a room.

Even Yuuki is back to his old self for the special occasion. And he even tells us that he wants to be more like the first Meijin that spreads fun and unlike the second who just wanted to win. I'm honestly looking forward to this great match between friends.

44584.png

Meanwhile on Nils side, whom is now apparently marrying Caroline, has discovered the secret of the Plavsky Particles but unfortunately has been caught in the act. Crap.

Alright, time for the final battle. Let's see what Yuuki has been... Up... To...

Phatmac

Or they could just try not to fuck it up and adapt the best route with the best scenes AKA the common route.

10ErAhY.png

Along with a few other scenes from the other girls routes.
Dunno how they'll do that considering how drastic some of the other routes are but it'd make sense to do the common route. All hail Tuna fish man!

I think Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis might be a stealth contender for one of the more interesting shows this season. It's a real dark horse since it's not exactly an original anime (based on a really popular f2p mobile card game) but at the same time there isn't really anything from the game to adapt, so as far as the story and world setting goes, it's as good as an original show. Production values look really high, the director is very interesting, the designs are pretty unorthodox, and we don't really have a lot of straightforward dark fantasy anime these days.

just saw the trailer.....holy shit the animation looks fantastic. Setting looks cool as well. Thanks for the notice I'm definitely watching this. If only the CGI dragon was not there.

Clov

Better Funi than Aniplex.

Pretty sure Aniplex wasn't involved with the show at all. Funi licensed it from Bandai Visual.

Given that Funi gives an "LE" (usually meaning an artbox) to practically every release of theirs that's not in the SAVE or Anime Classics line, it's pretty likely that Space Dandy will get one as well. Given what they've done for Attack on Titan and Cowboy Bebop, it's also possible that it will get a more lavish LE. I'm personally hoping that they'll do an LE with both halves of the show, so I can grab all of it at once.

Pretty sure Aniplex wasn't involved with the show at all. Funi licensed it from Bandai Visual.

Given that Funi gives an "LE" (usually meaning an artbox) to practically every release of theirs that's not in the SAVE or Anime Classics line, it's pretty likely that Space Dandy will get one as well. Given what they've done for Attack on Titan and Cowboy Bebop, it's also possible that it will get a more lavish LE. I'm personally hoping that they'll do an LE with both halves of the show, so I can grab all of it at once.

it was a joke on that I would rather have Funi doing the 'cash grab' over Aniplex doing the same as then the price would be up the wazoo.

Akame Ga Kill 13

What's worse, having your yandere waifu fall out of the sky when you're trapped on top of a mountain? Or having your fly down while giving a heroic speech? Tatsumi stays losing either way, though he's still doing better the Wave the king of situational jobbers

Gurren Lagann 21 Rewatch

Fuck man. Chills everywhere. I forgot how hyped this show made me get. Such great fan service too, but not in a lewd way.

Clov

it was a joke on that I would rather have Funi doing the 'cash grab' over Aniplex doing the same as then the price would be up the wazoo.

Ah, I misunderstood. I've heard too many people tell me "I'm glad Aniplex didn't license this!" lately, not knowing that that's not how Aniplex operates. :p

Nikodemos

Yosuga no Sora Episode 12 (Sora 5).

Wait, did they actually...? I mean, we all saw... And they didn't... But then who...?

yami4ct

Hey, Narag. I'm working on the G-Reco OT now. Just wondering if I could use the G-Reco animated gif from the OP? Thinking that would be a good way to close out the OT.

Majin Bone 26

Setting up Wolf and Tigers return to the Earth's side so hard, pretty dark back story for the two of them. Also the bad guys clearly don't care about holding back when they cut down whole buildings.

Berserk - 19

What an episode!
Guts is having to convince his brother in arms to let him go. With staring hawk eyes, Griffith claims he still owns Guts since he won their fight all those years ago. Draws his sword and asks Guts to take back his freedom.
And freedom he receives in an instant, to a shocked hawk. With this defeat Griffiths world shatters and he loses his cool, and in this desperation he hasten his plan. Everything he worked for could be in vain now

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighters 24
The final battle wasn't as grande as it could've been thanks to meddling from the chairman once again. But I digress, it got the job done. Due to the loss, it seems the crystal has gone haywire. To the finale we go

Akame ga Kill! 13
c33e78d9b9.jpg

#nocontext

Well at least this show doesn't censor it's over the top violence.
Next episode is on the deserted island, I've been waiting for this, might as well drop it after that

ONII-SAMA the Animation 26 END

My competitionist tendencies pull through again!
It wasn't worth it!

Midonin

Ashita no Nadja 23-29 (Spain Arc)

Saying this about a series that began with an orphanage being set on fire is not merely a case of one-upmanship, things really have gotten serious. For once, Nadja has a dance that she can't instantly be good at. The people runs into don't have the happiest ending for their story. There's still plenty of comedic moments throughout, but the majority of Nadja's time spent in Spain was used for drama.

And some cultural homages. In Kennosuke's episode, when talking about his desire to build a plane, or more than that, a spaceship, the image used to represent it is this one.

wP6Tmm7.png

A Trip to the Moon, Kennosuke style.

I love it when things like this happened indirectly in Sengoku Collection, and having it happen directly here is great. It pleases my inner cinephile. The part of the West being referenced is not merely the "cool" parts, but the cultural parts. I also liked the episode that started this arc off, with the Dandelion Troupe facing a gang of pirates. The comedic timing while Nadja was sewing her flamenco dress, cutting back and forth between that and the pirate fight with nearly identical lines of dialogue, including her using the spear attached to one of the ropes to hold her dress casually, got a few laughs out of me. It was done really well.

It's not just classic movies, but classic opera being referenced, too. The story arc running this time was Jose and Carmen, a pair of former/reunited lovers, a flamenco dancer and a bullfighter. Granted, my only familiarity with Carmen comes from Hey Arnold!, but I can recognize my opera homages when I sees them. The idea of two lovers forcing themselves to try and be in love because they feel like they're missing something is weightier than I expected.
Jose's death at the hands of a cart much like the one he saved Nadja from was really unexpected. Poor Nadja, she'll never know. It's for the best if she doesn't.
The adults' stories are just as interesting as the children's.

Speaking of Nadja's Flamenco (if she went on stage with Kennosuke and he did his bullfighting like he wanted, they could've billed themselves as Samurai Flame- you know where this is going), the design of her dress is clearly the inspiration for Megumi's Cherry Flamenco today. I'm onto your game, Toei.

Now that Rita can freely express herself, she's a wonderful addition to the group. A wee bit precocious, and clearly filled with a lot of things she's been waiting to say. Props to Ikue Ohtani. Nadja's a "little rosebud" and Rita is blooming, but one could say that Rosemary strikes a certain... note.

Oliver was in good shape (aside from his awkwardness about his crush), but Rosemary is desperate. She got angry at Nadja without fully understanding her circumstances, and Nadja doesn't fully understand her circumstances either since Rosemary deliberately obfuscated them. Having a foil for Nadja is appreciated, and when her episode ends with a shot like this, things aren't boding well for the future.

The Francis episode was serene, and I liked all the sunset shots. Francis taught her the concept of noblesse oblige and did dance with her, but she may have fallen for
his twin brother, the Black Rose?
That's such a soap opera development, but it fits with the general kind of story this show has been trying to tell. Any story that gets me able to write multiple paragraphs about its facets must be clicking with me in some way, and Nadja certainly is.

I think Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis might be a stealth contender for one of the more interesting shows this season. It's a real dark horse since it's not exactly an original anime (based on a really popular f2p mobile card game) but at the same time there isn't really anything from the game to adapt, so as far as the story and world setting goes, it's as good as an original show. Production values look really high, the director is very interesting, the designs are pretty unorthodox, and we don't really have a lot of straightforward dark fantasy anime these days.

Just saw the trailer. Holy shit, there is no logical reason for an adaption of a mobile game to have animation this good!

Hmm sounds interesting I'll have to check it out, Toei's Majin Bone has been surprisingly enjoyable for an anime based upon a card game where I assume they just are making up plot as they go

Berserk - 19

What an episode!
Guts is having to convince his brother in arms to let him go. With staring hawk eyes, Griffith claims he still owns Guts since he won their fight all those years ago. Draws his sword and asks Guts to take back his freedom.

And freedom he receives in an instant, to a shocked hawk. With this defeat Griffiths world shatters and he loses his cool, and in this desperation he hasten his plan. Everything he worked for could be in vain now

What an episode indeed. Could not get enough of Gut effortlessly destroying Griffiths sword and pride in one attack.

Just saw the trailer. Holy shit, there is no logical reason for an adaption of a mobile game to have animation this good!

My thoughts as well. The part where the mech appears from the wall is something I expect to see in a well animated movie.

YOu have no idea.You've just cleared VOL 6 and we have 13 volumes so far.
Back to Alfheim , showing new stuff and old stuff they cut from S1.
After that in the inevitable S3 , you'll move on to another world.

Well that's the normal reaction to ep 26

We're essentially at the end of book 6 of 15 (and the series is not complete) now.

Oh wow. I wonder if they're planning on adapting everything. Since it's not complete I suppose they might go on a hiatus or something once they catch up.

Terraformars OVA 1

If I hadn't read the manga for the bugs 2 arc all I would have gotten out of this is "cockroaches are bad and stupid fast and strong, humans have bug powers but they mostly suck". At least it wasn't censored to hell, not sure if I want to wait for OVA 2 to watch the main series or just start watching it now.

Berserk - 20

So Guts visits Andre (lol dark souls) the blacksmith and lives there for a year, pondering about life.
Griffith is now in chains rotting in a dungeon, most likely for "visiting the princess chamber". Casca is the leader of the hawks now, and Guts is reunited with them.

Crappy CG-i Anime 1

Yeah no amount of cool premise or on paper action excuses this freaking ugly as sin show. You can do a mostly or entirely cg-i show and make it not look this bad. FFS Reboot is more aesthetically and that show looked like butt when it came out.

mankoto

Gundam Build Fighters 25 END
That was absolutely amazing. I don't know how to express it.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed every part of the series. It was a ton of fun. I'm only disappointed in the fact that I couldn't grasp in any of the references that the series did such as Ral's character, the victory pose from episode 24, when Sei was saying lines from episodes of Gundam and so on. But that's from me not watching any Gundam shows before, so it can't be helped.

I'll have to rewatch this when I watch some Gundam shows. Same with Season 2.

Off to Log Horizon.

Mr.Jeff

I'm interested in seeing how they'll ruin the le fruit de la Grisaia anime. I guess they'll try to do every girl's route without ruining the flow of the show but since the VN doesn't have a true end I wonder which route they'll end the show on. This fall season doesn't stand out but it has a chance of being decent.
Well if they're planning this as a one off, they'll probably cover everyone but I have no idea how they'd end it satisfactorily. Probably Not-Senjou Sakaki's closing part of her route I would have thought.

However, if they were trying to tease for a possible second series they'd work in aspects of Amane's utterly boring cliffhanger route. (I'm still fucking mad about that)

(Sachi still the best despite the Key-esque inspired writing. Michiru next for Kaori Mizuhashi VA.)

Love Live S2 03

Awww... Poor broadcasting club character without name. :p

μ's and A-RISE finally meet, A-RISE somehow knows just about everything about the μ's members and then they even perform on the same stage. Nico got some Mickey Mouse looking hairdo in this one.

Would it be strange if I said I liked the A-RISE song more than the μ's one?

Terraformars 1

Man good luck to those who don't wait for the second OVA or don't read the first manga arc before watching this. I did and I was still confused for the first 10 or so minutes. I really don't get why the anime is trying to depict this new kid as the main character? I guess the idea is that he's new to the whole terraformar thing so he'll be the audience proxy character while we learn the world, then shift focus back to the actual main character from Bugs 2 arc. Really whoever decided to make the bugs 2 arc an ova that wasn't finished before the main anime series started should be fired.

Terraformars 1

Man good luck to those who don't wait for the second OVA or don't read the first manga arc before watching this. I did and I was still confused for the first 10 or so minutes. I really don't get why the anime is trying to depict this new kid as the main character? I guess the idea is that he's new to the whole terraformar thing so he'll be the audience proxy character while we learn the world, then shift focus back to the actual main character from Bugs 2 arc. Really whoever decided to make the bugs 2 arc an ova that wasn't finished before the main anime series started should be fired.

It's anime, dumb decisions always happen. Tokyo Ghoul being one that suffered from dumb mistakes.

Though there are exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom