• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Fabulous Heroes 092
hJbcPl.jpg
vU4RTl.png

PBAVCl.jpg
6vB1fl.png
Seriously, look at all the fabulous max.
Oh Reuenthal, what about all the good times? Why can't we be friends? Why do you have to be so jealous of Mein Kaiser's hair?

Hey, at least Lutz got a manly death. You've done good after fucking up at Iserlohn. May you find peace in Valhalla.

Oh poor nurse hottie.
:(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Why of course, ToloveRu Dar- No can't do it, not even in jest.

Kaibutsu-kun!
Although so far it's a tossup between it, Chu2Byou, PSYCHO-PASS at the far end

Yeah that TLRD better be a joke.

Best shows are SSY / Chuuni / Jojo.

Good are Magi / PP / GirlsunPan

┐(´ー`)┌ shows are K / Ro;No

Deadman Wonderland 12 fin

I kinda liked the show in the first few episodes, weird people, interesting prison, a lot of blood. But as the show progressed it became apparent how shallow the characters and story are. The Shiro/Ganta relationship was never explained outside some flashbacks to their childhood. The rebelling support characters are there for no reason. Even their leader, who I can't sympathize with, serves no purpose to the story.

Its filled with the anime cliches. Ganta is a boy who always stands up, no matter how weak he is. The story, a tragic incident happens some years ago, few people get superpowers, and then a story gets wrapped around it. Reminds me of another dumb shitty show: Guilty Crown.

Everything was just so simple and shallow.

A 4/10.

If they only had filled out details in the story and developed the characters, it would have complemented the action really well.

Looking back I think the deathrace of sorts, especially the last part of it, and then the one on one competitions in the g-block were the best moments.

If they only had filled out details in the story and developed the characters, it would have complemented the action really well.

Looking back I think the deathrace of sorts, especially the last part of it, and then the one on one competitions in the g-block were the best moments.

Indeed. 24/26 episode format would be better suited for this. And as to those parts, I liked them aswel, because they were brutal.

Deadman Wonderland OVA

Would've worked well in a movie form, but its too short and the characters motives are never explained. Goreless Peace... What and who are they? Goreless Peace gang is depicted as the villain gang just for the sake of being a villain, with no background or whatsoever. They do something awful wich leads to a final showdown. Yeah, that will really make him join you. Stupid.

2/10

Hakuoki Demon of the Fleeting Blossom (s1) ep 1-12(end)

I was glad to have watched Hakuoki Reimeiroku before hand as this flowed right after it. With attachments to most of the characters it was easy to keep track of who was who and understand a bit of things backstory behind some of the things like Fury's and character motivations.

Unfortunately, I went into it with the wrong mindset, as by the end it was hard on the emotions.
I didnt think it'd be a less than happy series with my favorite characters succombing to death, Tuberculousis, or even becoming a fury. That was the worst part of it, key characters becoming furys while Chizuru stands there just screaming. I wish they held out

Only annoying thing was how no one could tell Chizuru was a girl. Well in episode one some did but really it isnt that hard, so I always shook my head when some random character expressed shock. Favorite characters were Okita and Heisuke, and even Yamazaki
Powerful death scene :(

Chizuru was a decent to weak main character, as she barely did or aided in anything. I liked having Ibuki in her role in Reimeiroku, he was far more interesting, and at least actually swung his sword. 8/10.

The dub was good. Heisuke had the perfect voice (G. Ayres), and Okita (Blake S.), and everyone else sounded well too. I dont like how the dub kept honorifics. It just sounds awkward to hear the whole thing in english and then Heisuke-kun, Hijikata-san, Chizuru-chan...etc.

Tonari no Kaibutsu - 02

mqA3rl.jpg

i wasn't expecting the main character to get in her feeligns so fast at least not without some kind of ordeal before but things seemed to have progressed fast enough *

Still a nice show ..i hope haru unpredictability will deliver on the next episode too..

cajunator

Banned
Tonari no Kaibutsu - 02

mqA3rl.jpg

i wasn't expecting the main character to get in her feeligns so fast at least not without some kind of ordeal before but things seemed to have progressed fast enough *

Still a nice show ..i hope haru unpredictability will deliver on the next episode too..

Natsume. Cute when she pukes, cute all the time.

Syrinx

Sword Art Online is that really shitty show that everybody is making fun of, right?

Also, gotdamn cajunator and kayos90! Do you guys, like, sleep?

Kagami

The complete subversion by the brother in rebuking her advances every single time without fail
contrasted by his job
makes for great hilarity.

Just watched episode 2, but gonna have to pass on this show I think.
The characters don't do anything clever with their shticks.
Sister is OK but the rest of them just feel like caricatures being thrown at me.
Probably part of the problem is trying to work in so many characters so quickly.
I assume the novels probably introduced characters more slowly.

Still gotta give them credit for the opening animation. And Akiko's visually cute.
And for a newbie VA Akiko sounds quite good. Way better than some of the newb VAs in other shows this year *cough* E7AO *cough*.

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online is that really shitty show that everybody is making fun of, right?

Also, gotdamn cajunator and kayos90! Do you guys, like, sleep?

I posted while at work for a twelve hour shift and have yet to sleep today.
I wont really sleep until perhaps late tonight since Im off work for two days and I hate wasting free time by sleeping. Especially since its sunday and I like to watch american football.

I wont really sleep until perhaps late tonight since Im off work for two days and I hate wasting free time by sleeping. Especially since its sunday and I like to watch american football.

Sleeping is too mainstream anyways. ^_^

Syrinx

How the hell does your employer let you post on GAF so much?! Long shifts be damned, never leave that job.

Natsume. Cute when she pukes, cute all the time.

Well she is certainly a nice character .. It seems everyone in the group of 4 got their own issues to deal with ..that would mean a lot of good things in the long run ..

------

Tonari no Kaibutsu - 03

But this episode made things advance in a good way ..the plot moves forward and the ordeal i asked is indeed delivered.

iuQlml.jpg

i'm however more intrested how they will deal with these 2 ...
This will be no doubt very intresting to watch ...

Good episode as usual , each character quircks made thing the more enjoyable ..
can't wait for ep4

Maedhros

Sword Art Online 1

People watch this? Seriously?

That's your problem. You had tons of recomendations and oppinions to actually not watch it unless being a fan of the original material.

Enjoy your hatewatch.

Also, 15 pages in one night? Goddamit guys, stop posting one liners everywhere.

Kazzy

Sword Art Online 1

People watch this? Seriously?

CcH0k.gif

Get out while you still can!

You will seriously not enjoy what is to follow, it just continues to squander any potential it promises. Dumb, bland, and that's just the protagonists! You will not care, as you inevitably begin to lose any sense of perspective.

Basically, it's the anime equivalent of a slow-death.

BluWacky

Okay, this post is entirely for the benefit of DiGiKerot and anyone else who happened to be at the Nerawareta Gakuen screening, just confirming some details from the original novel that will probably clarify the plot a little. I hope the novel really is as well known as I think it is in Japan, because unlike TokiKake I really think it helps to have some familiarity with the original to make sense of what happens in this film.

I promise I have non-spoiler thoughts coming which will talk about the many, many positive things in the film - I just wanted to get these down having read through some proper plot synopses.

Warning: long post is long.

Professor Kyogoku (Kyogoku's father) is definitely the Kyogoku from the original Nerawareta Gakuen novel. Kyogoku's mother is the original novel's equivalent of... what'shername, cellphone bullying suicide girl (who is actually an amalgamation of two characters from the novel, really). She does indeed leave for the future with Kyogoku senior, saying that she wants to continue the work they have been doing to save the future. As I suspected, the Kyogoku/Kahori romance in the film is another subversion of the original story in this regard.

Kouji, Kenji's "grandpa", does appear to be the same person as the protagonist from the original novel. However, he is not psychic in the book. The 1981 film gender flips the protagonist and DOES give her psychic powers, which has confused me a little. Although this film has again subverted the ending of the novel - Kouji and his friends do fight Kyogoku sr., so the joke still stands - it's not quite in the way I'd expected.

The premise of the original novel is that Kyogoku sr., as well as others from the future, gift ESP to certain students who then use them to take over their schools to try and make children "act" differently, to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past and change the future. Obviously this is similar to what Kyogoku jr. is doing, but with more menace behind it. Whether or not the overall "softening" of the story, with its focus on romance and "connecting"/"communicating", is successful is a matter for debate, but it's clearly a very deliberate decision.

Bearing in mind all of the above I grow ever more convinced that it's a film that works much, MUCH better if you know the original story - or if you don't know it, don't have someone giving you pre-conceptions about it by calling it Psychic School Wars...

Right now I still have three narrative problems with the film:

i) Kenji's psychic powers being sealed in Shiro - last night I'd forgotten that seemingly throwaway line about how old he is and how unlike his age he acts, so there is a little foreshadowing at least. While I don't like to think of myself as dumb, I think this really needs to be made more explicit - perhaps a shot of his collar glinting in the omnipresent sunlight, looking like Kyogoku's hourglass perhaps? It just needs that little extra something to make sense.

ii) The Kenji/Natsuki broken leg switch - this feels like something that shouldn't have made it into the last draft of the script but would have left them without a visual metaphor for when Kenji and Kyosuke enter the "psychic realm" at the end. The film needs to make more of the foreshadowing in the early scene where they first mention it (it goes by as amusing banter rather too easily), and the whole thing needs a better explanation. Maybe the translation was a bit garbled by that point, but no-one died, so why was dream Kenji saying he did? Weren't his powers sealed away at that point anyway?

My "fix" for this would be to revise the context of it entirely. Do away with the "switch", and just have the scene as another moment where they couldn't communicate their true feelings; a reverse of the fireworks sequence, where this time it's Kenji trying to make his feelings clear and Natsuki can't hear because she's sedated in hospital. You could probably have kept the same visuals as already used with the same or similar impact.

Hell, you could probably do this just by rerecording some of the dialogue. Get onto it, Nakamura-kantoku!

iii) The reasoning behind what happened at the end, basically. My fanwanking is as follows:

Kyogoku realises, thanks to Kenji, Natsuki and Kahori, that giving telepathy to everyone isn't going to help the situation in the future - particularly as it doesn't work on everyone. Communication is not coercion, after all.

He decides not to take any of the psychic children back to the future with him - not only has his mission failed, but he doesn't want what happened to his mother (dying while not being connected with her own time) to happen to him or to anyone else. This is basically what he tells Kyogoku Sr. in the "psychic realm".

The hourglass is the source of the telepathy powers but also the only thing that anchors Kyogoku to the present - I don't remember the dialogue well enough to state for certain that anything is explicitly made clear about how time travel works here. Obviously the film decides that smashing the hourglass not only de-psychics everyone, but erases Kyogoku from ever having existed in the "present".

Kyogoku doesn't want to smash the hourglass, but Kenji and Natsuki do. Unfortunately I've forgotten the dialogue from the end of the film because it seemed to stop making sense, but I remember a lot of recapping about connectivity etc. So I'm going to assume that Kyogoku doesn't want to smash the glass because it would mean he would lose his connection with everyone from the present.

Now quite why they end up in that "psychic" realm I don't know. Nor did I really understand what was happening there - why Kyogoku was going to be erased from existence entirely, or if that was even what they were going for. So that's something I wouldn't mind clarification on if anyone ever sees the film in the future...

I have no problem with what happened after that, i.e. Kenji taking Kyogoku back to the future and the post-credits scene. I just don't get what happened to have Kyogoku start "drowning", is all.

cajunator

Banned
How the hell does your employer let you post on GAF so much?! Long shifts be damned, never leave that job.

Well, as long as Im doing the work (I set up all the drivers loads and gallons ahead of time and take care of email correspondence early) then I have free time in between phonecalls to post. some nights its pretty quiet because I take care of most drivers possible reasons to call before they happen so I can post and watch the flat screens, etc. We have a night supervisor on weekdays but she allows us free reign as long as the calls are answered and everythings done. The actual boss leaves when we come in and feels the same way. Its pretty laid back unless we want to joke and have a bit of fun. All in all its stressful but I like my job.

Mandoric

Banned
" Sword Art Online, aka The Twilight Saga for Teenage Boys."

Damn lol, the first review on MAL is harsh.

I think in order to really be Twilight for teenage boys, it needs to be an interminable and awkwardly-written novel series (okay, SAO has THAT) involving day-walking vampires in which the bland and unremarkable main character is presented with a long list of supernatural love interests who are each a different fetish. Also, it has to smash sales records and get made into a movie.

Hmm, where have I seen that in an anime before.

So basically, any time that something gets scored under an 8?

Any popular high ranked show that gets a bad score. :/

I think in order to really be Twilight for teenage boys, it needs to be an interminable and awkwardly-written novel series (okay, SAO has THAT) involving day-walking vampires in which the bland and unremarkable main character is presented with a long list of supernatural love interests who are each a different fetish.

I have not yet watched SAO, waiting till the last episode is aired.

Kurita

Space Brothers 29
Hyped for the launch. That punk family is hilarious.
Also :
nn46Zl.png

How many episodes will this anime have ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom