• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mda4rozvMt1qfsvizo1_500.jpg

Sort of want.

Now give me the Instructor with the Type 10.

Despite having not even started the show yet, I want that.

K - 6
tumblr_md74i8wKmW1rgotfdo1_500.png
tumblr_md74i8wKmW1rgotfdo2_500.png

Aw that was a pretty touching and emotional episode and even more for incorporating the character, Totsuka. I had additional attachment to him because he was also extensively featured in the K ~Memory of Red~ manga so the events this episode were even more impactful. Being voice by Yuki Kaiji was even better and we even got to hear him sing which was lovely (good voice).

Everything is coming along nicely and headed in a great direction. Kuro seems committed to staying by Isana's side as they work through this thing and they finally crossed from just blushing to handholding. With seven more episodes what more.

I guess it is not just memory loss, maybe he had completely rewrote his memory with whatever his power is. Or either Neko is doing something to the whole thing. It was just odd to think that we saw Isana interacting with Kukiri and the other students just a few episodes ago and the second they leave the presence, everyone has even forgot. Unless their memory was also altered? Very odd.

Anyway, I laughed at the scratch the feet scene, the skateboard scene, and then the death scene, poor Yata :(

I like the soundtrack v1 (and the character cd), the song Yata Misaki, has such interesting lyrics.

Bunker buster buster bonk headbutt
Stone, silly, stupid, brown and cupid
I'll rush in kitchen stadium puppets
Human daisha michibata shimagaki wax
Makita whack chasers.

Conscientious deserter
Chocolatey smooth grip
Java street script
With sunny side banana split
Your best necks like guitars that use
Diffuse, stro molotov cocktails
Against the agnostic atheists, we are trying to save the whales.

AHABS, that mitt, black dragon
Emerald Lieutenant, predator vests
Fashion, liquid mercury
Surf on concrete

Terminating Monday hangovers with rice spirits and ceramic bearings
For all your Mabus
The wild fang pitching the two seamless
MARS VENUS
NINJA SPACE
Judo brats leaving a strange look in your face

Jex

Magi - 06

tKCuGl.jpg

Elaborate setups for killing people always amuses me. Where are the laser sharks at?

On one hand I agree that it does seem to a classic villain to execute a person in an extremely elaborate manner, but then again elaborate cruelty was practiced on a grand scale by the Romans, among other peoples.

Jex

[Nadia:The Secret of Blue Water] - 2

nadia24.jpg

I'll write some real impressions later, but I just want to take a quick swipe at Nadia's character because it's such a low-hanging fruit. Jean, a 14 year old boy, has apparently invented:

- A hydrofoil boat with a separating aft
- A flashlight powered by a hand-crank
- An escalator
- Working aeroplane

Nadia is generally rightfully impressed by his technical skill, but complains when they breakdown. Hey, they're just early versions, there's no need to be so harsh about everything. What has she ever invented?

nadia21.jpg
nadia22.jpg

nadia23.jpg
nadia25.jpg

nadia26.jpg
nadia27.jpg

I still find it bizarre that in terms of popularity she was basically the Saber or Asuna of her day, with her character constantly topping NewType polls and managing to maintain the spot of 6th most popular female for the entirety of the 90's. I haven't even gotten to her preachy vegetarian regime either! Otaku have weird taste in females.

cajunator

Banned
[Nadia:The Secret of Blue Water] - 2

nadia24.jpg

I'll write some real impressions later, but I just want to take a quick swipe at Nadia's character because it's such a low-hanging fruit. Jean, a 14 year old boy, has apparently invented:

- A hydrofoil boat with a separating aft
- A flashlight powered by a hand-crank
- An escalator
- Working aeroplane

Nadia is generally rightfully impressed by his technical skill, but complains when they breakdown. Hey, they're just early versions, there's no need to be so harsh about everything. What has she ever invented?

nadia21.jpg
nadia22.jpg

nadia23.jpg
nadia25.jpg

nadia26.jpg
nadia27.jpg

I still find it bizarre that in terms of popularity she was basically the Saber or Asuna of her day, with her character constantly topping NewType polls and managing to maintain the spot of 6th most popular female for the entirety of the 90's. I haven't even gotten to her preachy vegetarian regime either! Otaku have weird taste in females.

She certainly wasnt my favorite 90's anime girl.
Misato will always be #1 in my heart. she is the supreme waifu.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

What?

And Nadia is #1 in my heart. Her vegetarian rants are the best.

Risette

A Good Citizen
No discussion of Nadia and vegetarianism is complete without that one image Sadamoto drew, which I unfortunately don't have on hand.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
While Nadia certainly has a strong Ghibli feel throughout, there is a point in the show where Anno makes it absolutely clear that he's been the director.

Then he leaves. :(

Jex

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Jean's house looks pretty great for a location that we only see briefly. Gainax were clearly in their "trying too hard" phase. It clearly caused them problems with production down the line...

Jeanshouse.jpg

/XX/

No discussion of Nadia and vegetarianism is complete without that one image Sadamoto drew, which I unfortunately don't have on hand.

I think he means the little story Mr. Sadamoto did for a number of the CHOSEN AME (朝鮮飴) 'dōjin' circle... and it involves a constipated Nadia due to her faulty vegetarian diet habit.

And I see now that pizzaroll said it already!

Anyway, I'll add a link to it, is included at the end of the following batch of images, contributions of GAiNAXers... be advised; the following link leads to slightly explicit content... careful!

, llustration by Honda Sailor Moon by parody...
http://marine-impact.tumblr.com/post/18660623133/llustration-by-honda-sailor-moon-by-parody

Jex

While Nadia certainly has a strong Ghibli feel throughout, there a point in the show where Anno makes it absolutely clear that he's been the director.

It's definitely a fascinating mixture at times, especially when you can feel Anno's unique style shine through the Ghibli trappings. I feel that it works better at sometimes than others. Of course, the part where he departed from the stage really didn't work at all.

faridmon

Nadia became Shit halfaway through since they run out of the budget to atually frame the animations.

The first half is one of the most memorable Anime ever. Such an amazing atmosphere it had.

Jex

I tell a lie - while I did skip nearly all the 'Island Arc' from Nadia I did watch episodes 30/31 for the actual 'plot' developments that occurred.

Dead

well not really...yet
I wish I still had my Nadia DVDs. What the fuck happened to them?

Either way, one of the most memorable shows I watched in my childhood and will always have a place as one of my favorite shows ever.

It and Kare Kano are probably the two best Gainax TV format animation works, which is funny since they both share the Anno leaves at some point syndrome.

/XX/

While Nadia certainly has a strong Ghibli feel throughout, there is a point in the show where Anno makes it absolutely clear that he's been the director.

It and Kare Kano are probably the two best Gainax TV format animation works, which is funny since they both share the Anno leaves at some point syndrome.
I don't see it as leaving, because he was actually working on the "return" episodes while leveraged his own team and left the rest to Mr. Higuchi and the overseas production... this actually bought him time for the spectacular final!

Grzi

Magi - 06

Hey, hey, this episode looked gorgeous. The art was detailed and expressive, there was clearly some budget involved this time. I love the art style of Magi, with its soft edges, it's really unique. The animation was really good too, with a nicely animated battle. I would've preferred they did that with the last episode, but I guess they wanted to give Mor a proper introduction.
I wasn't a huge fan of Morgiana's "arc" originally, so I'm glad they devoted a single episode to it, and since the execution was so great I enjoyed it much more than in the manga.

Next week the shit hits the fan and the real Magi finally starts. I can't wait, holy shit.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't see it as leaving, because he was actually working on the "return" episodes while leveraged his own team and left the rest to Mr. Higuchi and the overseas production... this actually bought him time for the spectacular final!
I completely forgot the details, but thanks for the refresher!

Love the show so much, I also own these:

The box is the complete recordings, all of the shows OST, and the book has a collection of AMAZING key frame illustrations.

Ill probably eventually drop the $600 on the Blu-Ray box at some point I guess, lol :(

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 07

Another very solid adaptation of not one but two chapters from the manga. Once again, it is always the little stuff like the addition of the movement of the characters, their reaction faces, their imagination that makes it just so much better.

Very nice use of music for Class Rep's little piece in the anime as well. She is being a much stronger candidate in this love triangle than in the manga for sure.

/XX/

Hey! TRIGGER Inc., ended up posting their usual weekly update (apart from one link to an even more recent interview with Shūhei Handa; http://animemirai.jp/news.php?p=83):

リトルウィッチアカデミア近況 その7 | Facebook said:
Little Witch Academia status update 7

Fellow supporters!

Studio Trigger here to report our current situation!
Sorry for the lack of updates recently.
We are reaching the peak of our workload, and many of our staff members are working without rest!

As we near crunch time, we should have contents ready to share with you guys very soon!
So bare with us just a bit longer!
We won't disappoint you!

For now, here are some pictures of the studio I sneaked out!
Stacks of illustrations are starting to pile up at the directors desk.
Let's hope we finish our project on time!
http://ja-jp.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.556618914363657.146697.281043505254534

I was too optimistic expecting a promotional video so soon...

... keep going, good guys! You can do it!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 07

Another very solid adaptation of not one but two chapters from the manga. Once again, it is always the little stuff like the addition of the movement of the characters, their reaction faces, their imagination that makes it just so much better.

Very nice use of music for Class Rep's little piece in the anime as well. She is being a much stronger candidate in this love triangle than in the manga for sure.

Yeah no. She's freaking terrible. The sooner this horrible triangle ends the better.

Last thing I want is for that shit to drag out and sink the entire show. Kind of like what happened with Natsuyuki Rendezvous.

cjkeats

Seitokai Yakuindomo: Episodes 2-3
Perverts. Everyone in this show is a pervert.

Hidamari Sketch: Episodes 1-3
Almost every page or so of these threads involves some screencarp/gif of Hidamari, and it always looks so intriguing. So I finally pulled the trigger, as Seitokai Yakuindomo gets stale after watching more than 2 episodes in a row.
Hidamari turned out to be exactly as I thought, Shaft doing what they do best but with a slice of life. They continue to make shows that are fascinating to look at with the insertion of real life things into the animated world and the seamless transition to normalface to wideface.

The wideface has absorbed me. Yuno is the cutest.

Yeah no. She's freaking terrible. The sooner this horrible triangle ends the better.

Last thing I want is for that shit to drag out and sink the entire show. Kind of like what happened with Natsuyuki Rendezvous.

Class rep's whole love triangle business is much better than the other love triangle this show is going to shower you with.

Steroyd

Hidamari Sketch: Episodes 1-3
Almost every page or sown of these threads involves some screencarp/gif of Hidamari, and it always looks so intriguing.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Ixion Saga DT - 06

Ahoge's serious business, nice to know that they can move away from the same balls joke and have a fun episode at the same time.

jman2050

My Little Monster 7

* Oshima already in bro tier. Third best female character
* Natsume's antics are still awesome. Second best female character
* I'm impressed that Haru's complete lack of social grace still manages to be hilarious. They totally nailed his character imo.
* This episode was so shoujo, but in a good way.
I'm guessing we're going to be getting some Yamaken triangle action going soon. Not sure how I feel about that, but it seems inevitable so let's see what happens.

Basically, show still owns, best of season, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom