• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No new Girls und Panzer this week?

Only a recap this week and Yukari talks about tanks. And the preview for Ep 6:

00b3e948i3pr1.jpg

A Focke-Achgelis Fa 223

Kazzy

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 1-12

madoka-1.png

Makes the most compelling argument for
vegetarianism
that you're ever likely to hear.

Judging solely off the tones the show is usually spoken in; I assumed that it was macabre going in, but not like this! So in essence it’s an anime version of Faust, one which exceeded my expectations in almost every respect. It took the elements which I generally associate with the genre and brilliantly inverts them,
and makes me sad for the world!

The opening episodes were certainly engaging although they betray just how dark it is under that shiny surface. But in a way the unassuming opening only serves to juxtapose just how atypical a show this is. I was surprised at just how tight and competent the story was, and I found myself compelled to see it through almost instantly. In a way, its addictive nature reminds me of my experience with Death Note, although unlike that, it doesn't deliver twists and shock moments at the expense of its own logic and suspension of disbelief. I always find it refreshing whenever something lulls me into a false sense of security, and its an indicator that it largely skirts cliché. One of its greatest strengths is that it succeeds in instilling a genuine sense of dread and anxiety towards the characters and their fates, with the high-stakes permeating into every action.

I’m not usually fond of Shaft’s visual style but it really works effectively here. I particularly like the designs of the witches , which are a ridiculous pastiche of real world elements, and serves as a bizarre palette to contrast with the magical girls themselves. This dissonance continues yet further with the music, which is a blend of the classical as well as some more modern, bombastic tones. I may have to aquire the soundtrack at some point.

I liked all the cast, Kyubey for one,
the magnificent bastard!
It’s his disturbing presence that sets the tone, because it’s not hard to assume that there is something afoot with him from his initial appearance, but you are still left with a lingering doubt, which makes his guarded words
(and the nature of the magical girls)
all the more fascinating. Though it's easy for me to call Homura the stand out, particularly as the best moments come via way of her.
I'll also mention Sayaka, who was an excellent deconstruction of the overly idealistic protagonist, and had the most tragic arc of all, and was who I empathized with the most.

And I’m sure there are plenty of theories knocking around, but there is a few things I wanted to confirm regarding the ending:

So Madoka’s wish was ultimately to euthanize the entire lineage of witches and magical girls? It seemed like the most selfless act, as it essentially rendered their existence (or deaths) meaningful. But if you are to invoke deus ex machina, wouldn't it have been better to simply to create an existence where magical girls wouldn't have been needed at all? I know that they now 'ascend' when they die, but still, struck me as a little odd.
That aside, I can’t really think of any glaring problems that I had with the show and it was pretty much pitch perfectly from the very beginning. I think episode 10 was the absolute stand-out of the series, though, and pretty much cemented my (already) high opinion of the show.

Overall it was excellent, and it'd have to be, I marathoned the entire thing! It's one of those times that I regret not watching it sooner.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Glad you enjoyed it! Its one of my favorite shows in the past few years, an absolute treat to watch.

More importantly I must know what you consider the best pairing in this show. This is the most important question of all when it comes to Madoka. There is only one correct answer.

jman2050

Glad you enjoyed it! Its one of my favorite shows in the past few years, an absolute treat to watch.

More importantly I must know what you consider the best pairing in this show. This is the most important question of all when it comes to Madoka. There is only one correct answer.

Mamix
Tatsuya
obviously.

jman2050

So Madoka’s wish was ultimately to euthanize the entire lineage of witches and magical girls? It seemed like the most selfless act, as it essentially rendered their existence (or deaths) meaningful. But if you are to invoke deus ex machina, wouldn't it have been better to simply to create an existence where magical girls wouldn't have been needed at all? I know that they now 'ascend' when they die, but still, struck me as a little odd.
That aside, I can’t really think of any glaring problems that I had with the show and it was pretty much pitch perfectly from the very beginning. I think episode 10 was the absolute stand-out of the series, though, and pretty much cemented my (already) high opinion of the show.

I think Ume Aoki covered this as succinctly as one could. (spoilers obviously)

Jex

Nadia in turn borrowed the "villainess with fat and skinny lackeys driving ridiculous vehicles" from Time Bokan.

nB4UV.jpg
WtvD0.jpg

Of course their designs are very remincisent of the pirates from Castle in the Sky:

laputabdcap2_original.jpg

The cycle repeated itself again for Fractale which has the same shaped thugs in suits + girl arrangement:

FRACTALE-01-Large29.jpg

and girls with crystals:

FRACTALE-01-Large11.jpg

cjkeats

As I was told when I pondered the same:
Madoka whished that was because if she just wished it didn't happen, it would erase all the other girls wishes too, and that wouldn't be fair to them

Kazzy

As I was told when I pondered the same:
Madoka whished that was because if she just wished it didn't happen, it would erase all the other girls wishes too, and that wouldn't be fair to them

They were dead! Hardly a time to be picky.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 32

Azuma has a nice car.
You know, I totally forgot that Mutta was a car designer.

Seitokai Yakuindomo: Episodes 2-3
Perverts. Everyone in this show is a pervert.
Girls make the best perverts!

Class rep's whole love triangle business is much better than the other love triangle this show is going to shower you with.
Let's see... Haru and his bro or Haru and the blonde guy? lol

Jex

I completely forgot the details, but thanks for the refresher!

Love the show so much, I also own these:

The box is the complete recordings, all of the shows OST, and the book has a collection of AMAZING key frame illustrations.

Ill probably eventually drop the $600 on the Blu-Ray box at some point I guess, lol :(

Speaking of Nadia's OST, it seems like Shiro Sagisu repeated a few elements of the soundtrack when he sat down to work on Evangelion. I imagine that would be pretty obvious to anyone who has listened extensively to the OST's for both shows.

Necrovex

What's the overall consensus of Bakemonogatari? I have been looking for another show to pick up, since I have a little more free time than expected.

What's the overall consensus of Bakemonogatari? I have been looking for another show to pick up, since I have a little more free time than expected.

You will love the dialogues and the show or not.

Give it a try. And you don't need more than two episodes to decide if you like it or not.

Soma

I thought it was pretty great.

I liked the cast of characters, the odd art direction, and the entertaining (though lengthy) dialogue.

jman2050

It owns.

Ignore anything pizzaroll says about it.

Also ignores cries that Nisemonogatari is worse because it's more or less the same show, except more of it.

Mandoric

Banned

Who has awoken me from my slumber!?

It's visually interesting at times, and has a good cast, but the actual writing is fucking dreadful and there's not really any reason to watch it rather than clicking through screenshots and finding a better show to get your Kamiya or Saito or Horie fix from.

That said...

You will love the dialogues and the show or not.

Give it a try. And you don't need more than two episodes to decide if you like it or not.

If you do try, go for 3, the writing doesn't settle in until then. In fact, just start at 3, the first 2 are about Worst Girl.

Nadia's design > Misato, though.

Brown Shinji.

Necrovex

Guess I'll give this show a chance then. My friend has been bugging me about it too, so let's see if I join the lovers or the haters.

It's pretty enjoyable.

Expect lots of highs and lows. And a certain questioning of why you're even watching anime in the first place on some episodes.

So it'll be like watching Sword Art Online then.

Dresden

It's pretty enjoyable.

Expect lots of highs and lows. And a certain questioning of why you're even watching anime in the first place on some episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom