• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

In other news:

FINALLY

Newtype November Guys Character Rankings
1) Kirito
2) Houtarou Oreki
3) Rider
4) Kira Yamato
5) Lelouch Lamperouge
6) Kyon
7) Alibaba
8) Kotetsu T. Kaburagi
9) Aladdin
10) Gintoki Sakata

1) Sword Art Online
2) Hyouka
3) Madoka Magica
4) Chuunibyou
5) Fate/Zero
6) K-On!
7) Magi
8) Tiger & Bunny
9) Little Busters
10) Gothicmade
11) Gundam SEED
12) Total Eclipse
13) One Piece
14) Kuroko
15) Code Geass
16) Space Brothers
17) Gundam UC
18) Jormungand
19) Jojo
20) K.

Thank god for Sword Art Online. I feel obligated to watch it now.

Kazzy

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1-4

I'm not really going to say anything other than I'm really enjoying it, and I think I'll probably just carry on and do a straight run through of the entire series!

Grzi

Angel Beats!

Yeah, I didn't like this one very much. I kind of liked the idea behind it all, but the way it was executed was pretty bad. The revelations at the end felt flat, I didn't like any of the characters so the melodrama and the comedy didn't do anything for me and the art was horrible.
There were some nice action scenes here and there, and I repeat, I liked the idea and the setting so I think this could have been better if executed properly, but in this shape it's just not very good. I've seen worse and it's short so I don't feel bad for giving it a shot though.

Angel Beats!

Yeah, I didn't like this one very much. I kind of liked the idea behind it all, but the way it was executed was pretty bad. The revelations at the end felt flat, I didn't like any of the characters so the melodrama and the comedy didn't do anything for me and the art was horrible.
There were some nice action scenes here and there, and I repeat, I liked the idea and the setting so I think this could have been better if executed properly, but in this shape it's just not very good. I've seen worse and it's short so I don't feel bad for giving it a shot though.

You didnt like none of the characters? Hinata, Otonashi, Naoi had no likeable traits?

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 6
ib2HRkrf62hq3K.gif

And one for DTL, just because

Best episode yet. Finally Yuuta has an actual good best friend and more. It almost seemed like Isshiki was gonna confess, such good closeness. Isshiki must definitely continue to stick around, he seemed somewhat captivated by the club stuff and their imagination stuff, so I can only hope. He's really cool male character in this and in the class, loved and adored by all.
When he stuck up for everyone taking all the blame and the punishment, that was so cool and refreshing of someone too do, though the girls couldnt understand :(

Yuuta with the Dark Flame shirt and then being drawn was also good parts.

I think the train scene was awkward though, I didnt understand its purpose.

Grzi

You didnt like none of the characters? Hinata, Otonashi, Naoi had no likeable traits?

Hate to disappoint you, but not really, they all felt extremely one-dimensional, like cardboard cutouts out of a million other anime.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 6

Best episode yet. Finally Yuuta has an actual good best friend and more. It almost seemed like Isshiki was gonna confess, such good closeness. Isshiki must definitely continue to stick around, he seemed somewhat captivated by the club stuff and their imagination stuff, so I can only hope. He's really cool male character in this and in the class, loved and adored by all.
When he stuck up for everyone taking all the blame and the punishment, that was so cool and refreshing of someone too do, though the girls couldnt understand :(

Yuuta with the Dark Flame shirt and then being drawn was also good parts.

I think the train scene was awkward though, I didnt understand its purpose.

:)))))
I sure missed your posts.

Magi ep 6
vUbW7.jpg

I didn't know Arabians can write japanese kanji on walls.

I wonder why did A1 decided to animated Mor's fight against the sabertooths in the daytime instead of night.
Magi is inspired by arabian nights , but i think it's set in his own universe.. also these are merchants from "maybe" various origins.. but this is a nice find ..

i think it was better for them to deliver this scene during the day .. they might be too much work to properly render light and shadows maybe ?

Is that a War in the Pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I'm so sorry!

Jesus has so much swag! XD

don't be ..

Ixion Saga ep 6
I see nothing wrong, it's just a normal ahog...oh my god! Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Escape while you still can !!

cajunator

Banned
Chihayafuru 1-25 [END]

I am glad I came back around to watch this one. The character interactions, the rivals and games were, generally, a joy to watch. Heck, I didn't even despise episode 16 for being a recap episode due to the little shorts in-between.

Having watched quite a few game-related anime before this, I can say this show was a good mark on the genre. The main character, recruitment stories and side characters were handled pretty nicely. I was pleasantly surprised when that the story didn't take a complete drift to
Taichi vs. Arata (in regards to Chi's love)
. A part of me was preparing for the worst, but it never spread to a point of complete saturation. I say this thankfully.

A few matches had their cumbersome stretches, but this was a pleasant watch overall. How I ended up appreciating a show about slapping cards on the ground more than one on high-stakes baseball is beyond me. Well, not really. This show is simply better executed on all fronts.

And to think I almost completely missed out on this show before year's end...

Glad you watched this! To be honest I liked how it ended and how it was a bit different from other shows of this type. However there is apparently a second season coming so maybe that will be different.

Media Pick-up
Gankutsuou Geneon Limited Edition DVD Box

Wrong rabbit hole
Hidamari Sketch Yuno and Miyako Prize/Cheap Figures

I really like the Gankutsuou box (aside from the tacky sticker, but that's only on the packaging plastic so it's a non-issue.) It has some textures on the clothing of the characters displayed. I can't feel it through the plastic as I haven't torn yet, but I can see the ridges.

I kind of want everything you pictured. Gankutsuo is shockingly cheap. I could find dozens of LE boxsets around. It seems to not be very popular :(
Those prize figures are so cute!

[Magi] - 6

Magi61.jpg

If the first episode of this series was all about introducing Alibaba and his character to the audience, and episodes 4-5 were about exploring Aladdin's character than it's not too surprising that this episode is dedicated exclusively to Morgiana, the third member of what one would assume will become a trio of main characters. The structure that was chosen to deliver these characters stories was clearly carefully considered by the original creator as it allows us to see how these characters would operate independently from each other, something which allows them to all have some elements of their character fleshed out without getting overshadowed by some other character.

As for the episode itself, it was a fairly standard storyline that was executed fairly well, at least from a production stand point. As one would hope from a story focused around Morgiana there was lots of people and animals getting kicked extremely hard by sturdy legs. I was a little surprised to see that they depicted this violence so brutally, there was lots of blood spurting out and teeth breaking. It looks quite nasty:

Magi64.jpg
Magi63.jpg

it's good to see that they weren't being held back by the kind of show that it is or when it airs. The animation for all this action was pretty good as well and the hits felt meaty enough. The episode as a whole was fairly satisfying, even if it's just a lead up for the characters to move onto some other event.

Magi62.jpg

I really dislike this kind of lens flare effect. Firstly lens flare is something that only occurs when you use an actual camera to film something, it doesn't need to exist within an anime. If you are going to insert a lens flare for whatever reason please don't pick one that looks as cheap and lazy as this one because it really highlights the falseness of everything that you're observing.

I like your observations but I really think what can be taken from this post is a fantasdtic image of Morgiana ROUNDHOUSE KICKING A SABERTOOTH TIGERS TEETH OUT OF ITS FUCKING HEAD. Goddamn I love me some Mor!

The year is 1990. Hideaki Anno, animator on films such as Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind and animation director on Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise has recently directed Gunbuster, Gainax's first major commercial success. Gainax have now been given the opportunity to make their first full length TV series and Anno is to be the director. The result is Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.

[Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water] - 1

Nadia17.jpg

The strangest think about watching this episode is that you have to keep reminding yourself that this is a Gainax series. The reason you might forget that fact is because it feels like you're watching a Hayo Miyazaki TV series. Obviously the production value isn't as good as Ghibli work and direction isn't patch on the master himself but all the elements feel like they've fallen directly fro Miyazaki's head - a girl with a mysterious crystal:

Nadia16.jpg

on the run from humorously dressed villains, a male with an interest in planes and flying (who has lost his father) that takes interest in her:

Nadia12.jpg

wacky action sequences and a general sense of adventure. It's not too surprising, then, to discover that this series was based off a series that Miyazaki pitched to Toho in the 70's. It's not that Anno is copying Miyazaki's ideas from his films - it just happens to the be the case that Miyazaki ended up using the ideas that he came up with in the 70's on later movies like Castle in the Sky.

Of course, being based off an idea by Hayo Miyazaki (from back when he still had cool ideas, apparently) doesn't automatically make your show good. In fact, there's plenty of reasons why this episode might not work. The Jules Vernesque world might come across as ridiculous, the need to appeal to children might make the show too sanitized or stupid, the characters might be unlikeable etc etc. Thankfully none of that happens here. Well, not yet anyway.

Our lead is Jean, a 14 year old genius inventor. Unlike other, more well known Gainax leads, Jean isn't the quiet reserved type. As soon as he spots the titular Nadia:

Nadia13.jpg

he moves to pursue her. Perhaps his chat up lines aren't the best but at least he's trying, that's more than I can say for many protagonists:

Nadia14.jpg

Nadia responds coldly:

Nadia15.jpg

This pretty much sets up everything you'll need to know about their relationship. Amusingly, Nadia remains aloof despite the severity of the situation:

Nadia110.jpg
Nadia111.jpg

Nadia112.jpg
Nadia113.jpg

Now to be fair to Nadia she can actually take care of herself. Like a true Miyazaki heroine she's independent, has her own objectives and she evade the bad guys. Unfortunately, because this isn't an actual Miyazaki work she does end up as the girl who needs rescuing.

In true Miyazaki style this episode even manages to feature a number of improbable chase scenes involving both land and air vehicles:

nadiamech.gif

All of which adds to the sense of adventure that this episode successfully encapsulates. There aren't many shows like this around so the best comparison I can make is to Castle in the Sky, which is to say that this episode is just enjoyable to experience in all it's silly and impressive ways.

One interesting thing that you can really tell about the staff who made this episode is that the Gainax plane nerds worked on it. The amount of detail lavished on the plane designs, their flights, and the actual science of flight is quite unnecessary for a show of this type.

Nadia is such a tantalizing show. I have heard so many conflicting reviews of it good and bad but the fantasy atmosphere and music make me REALLY want to get it.

Kyousogiga 2012 3

A neat little short on how people usually go about getting rid of unneeded things.

Refer to the movie Unico and the Isle of Magic to find out where those things go!

Smile PreCure! 38

wonzotombstone.jpg

Precure constantly one ups its cuteness, and somehow keeps reaching new pinnacles.

I thought they fixed ties in the NFL or something? Whatever happened to using the superior College Football OT rules?

I suppose. I guess even FNL had its moments...

Speaking of which, season 2 never happened. lol

NFL rules in OT state that if the clock expires in overtime and no team has scores, its a tie. This rule hasn't been changed.

cajunator

Banned
i'm a member of your party ..the cute was just too much ..i stand here defeated ....

Cute can only defeat you if you let it.
I know these things. Just stand in there, hold your ground. Take the moenuke to the face and soldier on.

Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne Episode 06

I don't think I'm quite ready for the Imouto Revolution.

Also just what this show was missing, a token loli character.

This is....this is AMAZING. I want this on a shirt.

Magi 06
were those camels making the imp noise from Doom? lol
sounds like the exact same sound clip

I should be used to this in anime by now but watching a scrawny young girl beat the crap out of everyone and everything just seems silly, but apparently there is a reason so ill find out why eventually :|

That imp noise has been used a LOT especially for camels. Its one of the most overused stock sounds along with the door opening sound also from Doom.

I'll figure it out eventually. ;_;

Welcome to madness! Welcome to animegaf!

tumblr_mda4rozvMt1qfsvizo1_500.jpg

Sort of want.

Now give me the Instructor with the Type 10.

Definitely want some moe tank figures. This will be a bit of an odd series in those terms though.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1-4

I'm not really going to say anything other than I'm really enjoying it, and I think I'll probably just carry on and do a straight run through of the entire series!

This is an excellent idea. Be sure to provide episode impressions if you can!

/XX/

Someday, I really should watch Nadia. I got into anime at the wrong time, really; it had just come out on DVD I think, and everyone kept going on about how awful they thought the Island arc was, and so I never got around to watching it.
I only lurk in this thread (don't really watch much anime anymore) but as someone who was big into anime in the late 80's and 90's I can tell you that Nadia is worth watching. Yes, the island arc is as bad as you've heard. So, be forewarned.
As strange as this may sound the best thing to do regarding the Island Arc is to skip it in it's entirety. It has no bearing on anything else and is essentially shounen filler that can be discarded like the waste that it is.
I always recommend following The Nautilus Story guidance (as I mentioned some time ago, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36434147&postcount=1620), because it incorporates most of the key moments worth to extract from those episodes. The following thread initiated by fellow BrikHaus resumes it well (and includes a reference to another useful thread detailing what is exactly The Nautilus Story):

View topic - Nadia: In Defense of the Island Episodes :: EvaGeeks.org Forum - an Evangelion Fan Community
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/10662/Nadia-In-Defense-of-the-Island-Episodes/

I think the word you are searching for is 'homage'. :-D

A strong number two for my biggest gripe in Nadia would be how the damn Nautilus surfaces, it always surfaces at such a ridiculous angle, almost 90 degrees just for dramatic fucking effect. Every fucking time.
Sōichi Masuo work is too cool to worry about physics (because I assumed that was his work, given the effects seen and the fact that he animated a LOT of the scenes involving the Nautilus/New Nautilus).

I read the impressions here and gave Teekyu a go.
I just binged through the 6 episodes without a break

and then I watched them again while doubling the speed.
I feel different now.
I like that the impressions for Te-kyū keep on coming! Maybe it was simply because of its very short duration that people took for granted its viewing as the season would come along, but when I saw many did not include this series on their 'to-see lists' I was starting to worry. That is why my first post on the first thread for this current season asked for some attention to it (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42610617&postcount=34). And I'm glad the series has come off really well!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
typical canadian.

nfl goofed up bad when they switched the OT rule. sudden death OT was the best kind of OT.

Naw. The old rules meant that the team that wins the coin toss wins the game. Well, short of complete incompetence.

Has a Superbowl ended that way? It'd be worse than a World Cup final ending on PKs.

Syrinx

Naw. The old rules meant that the team that wins the coin toss wins the game. Well, short of complete incompetence.

Has a Superbowl ended that way? It'd be worse than a World Cup final ending on PKs.

No Super Bowl has ever gone into overtime, believe it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom