• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

I watched Undersea Super Train because it was on Hulu and it seemed like something to do. It's got me in the mood for some more retro anime.

SCIKm.jpg
1FFPn.jpg

Besides the obvious stuff like Miyazaki and Akira, what are some good 70/80's movies to watch?

Narag

Besides the obvious stuff like Miyazaki and Akira, what are some good 70/80's movies to watch?

Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise
Five Star Stories
Riding Bean - OVA but better than most anime!
Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie
Legend of Sirius

mAcOdIn

I wanna be the guy who says it. Akira sucks, it should only be watched if you want to see technically how great an anime can look and sound but as for the movie itself, it totally sucks and isn't worth watching for anything outside it's technical merits.

Narag

I wanna be the guy who says it. Akira sucks, it should only be watched if you want to see technically how great an anime can look and sound but as for the movie itself, it totally sucks and isn't worth watching for anything outside it's technical merits.

I think I only ever watch up to the first motorcycle fight anymore when I do. Never was a lot to grab me after even when I first saw it.

Soma

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 5-7

iOJberdeMq5qv.gif

I found that little exchange pretty amusing.

Anyhow finally all caught up with the show and I'm still enjoying it. Shizuku and Haru's relationship does feel like its meandering at this point but this is a shoujo after all. Class rep is a pretty okay addition to the cast (her awkwardness kinda reminds me of myself a bit) but surprisingly Natsume has provided a lot of amusement and insight to the show as far as side characters go.

The art direction is still quite pleasing to the eyes with those subtle textures strewn across the backgrounds and the reaction faces in this show are still pretty hilarious. While this isn't quite my favorite of the season anymore (seeing how Chuunibyou has taken that place), I do like this show quite a bit.

From the New World 7

Anyway a decent conclusion to this mini arc of sorts that I guess will fully close out next week. Of the first seven episode the episode where they were competing in the game is probably my favorite episode, followed by episode 6, the Satoru showcase. Most of the episodes and this one still retained the good element of suspense keeping me hooked to the screen. I like how I was unable to predict what happened.

The boulders are the anime's weakspots, I dont think theyve never looked good at all and stick out like a sore thumb.

No wonder there was a large increase in their fanart, next episode needs to hurry because the preview had such amazing parts.
---------

Robotics;Notes 5
tumblr_mdaka0f7Pr1r43mgoo1_500.gif

WcCafe? Anyway episode five, was just as good as the tournament two episode ago mainly for its Kai moments. I was rather enthralled by this one and really once night hit it really took off. I guess the mystery and finally exploring it was suspenseful.
I thought it was a legit ghost but an AI seems a bit cooler and more interesting than something that could be fro Scooby Doo. The minor thing with the Russian signal sound too was actually a nice thing to ad, though I never looked into seeing if it were real. I wonder if this AI presence can exist around the school? And then it said it has been trying to reach him for awhile, I wonder what larger role does it have, can it augment their robot too?

If it keeps up, maybe be a good contender for 3rd or 4th best this season for me.

OK master of cute ..i'll try to hold my ground from now on .. i hope you'll teach me new tricks should i be in a position of overcuteness in the near future !

NOt really the show is divided into 3 categories..
-the perverts ( kaicho , secretary , female professor , ect ect)
-the ones with too much contact with the perverts and thus must try to set them up in teh right path ( 99.5% of chance of a failure )..this include tsuda , hagimura and plenty of others
-the "normals" this includes tsuda classmates, the judo club ect ect those characters are imune to the perverts actions

in short the setokai yakuindomo casting is in a perfect balance of normal/semi perverts/perverts to ensure that you get sex jokes every minute .. trully a magnificent anime !!

she wasn't dumped , takumi told her to pursue her "dream" in tokyo ..the perfect place for a girl like her ... for "studying" ..(lol)

I don't remember any of this shit. Was the whore even in stage 4?

trejo

For posterity:

Vampire > Monkey > Cat > Bee > Crab > Phoenix > Snail > Snake

Crab > Vampire >= Snail > Bee > Monkey > Phoenix > Cat >>>>>>> Snake

Monkey > Crab > Cat > Vampire > Bee > Snail > Phoenix > Snake

Candy Candy
Nobody's Child Remi
Minky Momo
Princess Knight
Future Boy Conan
Mazinger
Gatchaman
Captain Harlock

I don't remember any of this shit. Was the whore even in stage 4?

it's the girl that was in takumi school and takumi had a crush on her ...
then he learned that she was visiting cars and house of rich guys that gave her free stuff and money .. that reveal appeared in the second season ..disgusted takumi went to do a very unfair challenge and lost ..

it's second stage.

he forgave her in 3rd stage and then they parted ways ...

---------
initial D fifth stage - 02

man all this stuff !! the initial D feelign !!!
The show is hyping the true bosses by quite a bit there ..
i hope next week battle will be glorious too ..takumi i'm counting on you !

Uchip

Banned
They strike me as characters who can add something positive to the show, so long as they don't get too much screentime and take away from the atmosphere from the rest of the show.

they just feel like theyre from a different anime
super genki detective girl is way too enthusiastic about murders n shit

Defuser

Tonari no Kaibutsu Kun ep 7
Class rep, why are you pulling a Kana?

I wish Shizuku/Haru realtionship would progress more but noooo, fucking shoujo. Natsume reactions is hnnngh to watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That second half. lol

I'm sure someone had made the Redline/Akira comparison in regards to that anyway.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Go for the Kenji Miyazawa double punch with
Night on the Galactic Railroad
and
Gauche the Cellist
Among other pretty good things: Angel's Egg, Ringing Bell, Beautiful Dreamer, Wings of Honneamise, Belladonna of Sadness, The Door Into Summer, Odin: Photon Super Sexy Space Soldier Sailor Spy Starlight, and Space Adventure Cobra.

The 70s and 80s were a great time for cartoons, at least in one particular corner of the world.

Damn straight. Can't beat classics like Jem, Voltron, ThunderCats, GI Joe and TMNT.

Articalys

Today I learned that sometimes Niconico has broadcasting problems and that Yaraon will also sensationalize news just like Kotaku. Can't trust anyone these days, man.

Joe Molotov

Don't watch Angels Egg.

I've already watched Angels Egg. Loved it. :p

Funny story about that, I actually saw it as "In the Aftermath" during a time when I was on a low-budget post-apocalyptic movie kick. Rented a lot of terrible, terrible, really bad movies on VHS during that time, and this looked like one of them, but inexplicably it had these amazing animated sequences intercut between live action sequences that looked like they were shot for 10 bucks. It didn't make any sense, I knew there was no way that animation went with those live-action scenes, so I looked it up and discovered some crazy Australian had spliced Angel's Egg into some half-assed life-action movie for an English release. I later managed to track down a pure copy of Angel's Egg.

41p1BwJZaiL.jpg

This is the thing which should not be.

Anyway, putting the rest of these recommendations in a list.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope not, as it's a patently idiotic one.

Care to take a stab at it?

Having not seen either movie in a while, just the whole scifi shit that gets out of hand thing that takes the basic premise of the world as established by the first half and turns it into some kind of weird monster movie in the second half.

Of course, that's probably just me, but I remember Akira for the bikes and dystopian futureverse and Redline for the race. The details of the second half of both movies just completely escape me because of that left turn both films take.

That said, Akira is probably more coherent at least... inasmuch as I remember Tetsuo going crazy and trying to blow shit up, which is more than I can say about the second half of Redline (outside of the campy ending to the actual race I suppose).

yami4ct

Friend got ahold of My Neighbor Totoro on blu-ray. I am psyched. Going to watch that right now. Expect more super hyped reactions afterward. I have not seen that movie in forever.

icecream

Public Health Threat
OniAi 06

As if there weren't enough characters to be sidelined by Akiko already, sure add another!

Loved watching her go through the 5 stages of grief throughout the moving.

From the New World 5:
Well, that was a big step down from the first four episodes. It certainly didn't look anywhere near as good, and the story was a bit slow, too. There was still some engaging material, and I did enjoy the way the scene with the weird sexual tension was put together, but the rest of the episode felt a bit like treading water, and the direction left a lot to be desired. I suppose not every episode could be quite up to the standards of the first few episodes. I'm hoping for more of that and less of this, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Having not seen either movie in a while, just the whole scifi shit that gets out of hand thing that takes the basic premise of the world as established by the first half and turns it into some kind of weird monster movie in the second half.

Of course, that's probably just me, but I remember Akira for the bikes and dystopian futureverse and Redline for the race. The details of the second half of both movies just completely escape me because of that left turn both films take.

That said, Akira is probably more coherent at least... inasmuch as I remember Tetsuo going crazy and trying to blow shit up, which is more than I can say about the second half of Redline (outside of the campy ending to the actual race I suppose).
I haven't really watched Redline for a little bit but I don't remember it every really doing anything super crazy or unusual that would qualify as taking a turn. In fact that's probably one of the biggest knocks I might have on the movie. It's pretty by the books and you have its number from the word go.

Narag

I haven't really watched Redline for a little bit but I don't remember it every really doing anything super crazy or unusual that would qualify as taking a turn. In fact that's probably one of the biggest knocks I might have on the movie. It's pretty by the books and you have its number from the word go.

Funky Boy was terrible and ruined the last half of the movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funky Boy was terrible and ruined the last half of the movie.

I don't even remember what Funky Boy was... just that something insane happens to somewhat interrupt the race, only for the race to end with that super campy finish. lol

Narag

I don't even remember what Funky Boy was... just that something insane happens to somewhat interrupt the race, only for the race to end with that super campy finish. lol

Super secret techno/bio/whatever weapon being developed illegally by that planet's government. The race couldn't have just ended as fucking race.

wonzo

Banned
One neat little thing about Redline was that
the old gangster dude holding JP's friend hostage was the very same racer that JP idolized in the flashback.
deeper than eva

Instro

Tonari 7

I really appreciate how consistent all the elements in this show are. There are minor dips here and there, but nothing that would ever stand out in a bad way. The characters work so well together that I really looked forward to watching it each week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Super secret techno/bio/whatever weapon being developed illegally by that planet's government. The race couldn't have just ended as fucking race.
Oh god, yes, now I remember. lol

One neat little thing about Redline was that
the old gangster dude holding JP's friend hostage was the very same racer that JP idolized in the flashback.
deeper than eva
2deep4u.

Syrinx

Okay, looking on Amazon for Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I'm a bit confused here. There's the platinum collection, which looks to be just the series, the platinum perfect collection, and a complete platinum collection, which looks to include some holiday special or something. None of these contain the movies, apparently, but I'm not looking for those yet. Somebody please give me some guidance should I choose to pull the trigger.

-Minsc-

I saw some wishful mentioning of a Spice and Wolf season 3 a little ways back. Out of curiosity, how much of the novel hasn't be adapted? My interest is getting sparked to buy the novel to read the rest of the story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Okay, looking on Amazon for Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I'm a bit confused here. There's the platinum collection, which looks to be just the series, the platinum perfect collection, and a complete platinum collection, which looks to include some holiday special or something. None of these contain the movies, apparently, but I'm not looking for those yet. Somebody please give me some guidance should I choose to pull the trigger.

I assume that at some point, they sold the series individually and that the collections are... well, the collections.

The movies will be separate things, if that's what you're looking for.

Narag

I think the Perfect collection was the original ADV release which had some terrible overlay issues. Can't remember if the platinum perfect release fixed that but that had director's cut versions of a couple later episodes iirc.

Narag

I saw some wishful mentioning of a Spice and Wolf season 3 a little ways back. Out of curiosity, how much of the novel hasn't be adapted? My interest is getting sparked to buy the novel to read the rest of the story.

Thought it was 4 or 5 of the 17 LNs adapted but not entirely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom