• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Fall 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*5,197 *1 K [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/07

As a reminder, both volumes 1 and 2 of K went on sale last week; this is just for volume 1. Full numbers will be out in a bit.

edit: Actually, it seems we have the full details for both K volumes, at least:

K Vol.1 -- 3,590 BD, 1,607 DVD
K Vol.2 -- 2,632 BD, 1,047 DVD

Branduil

So I guess their shameless attempt to pander to multiple otaku markets semi-worked?

So I guess it will settle at about the Manabi line.

wonzo

Banned
Fall 2012 Preliminary First Volume Sales

*5,197 *1 K [DVD+BD]: 2012/11/07

As a reminder, both volumes 1 and 2 of K went on sale last week; this is just for volume 1. Full numbers will be out in a bit.

the power of gohands

Dresden

The ground texture is the worst thing about tank girls.

jMJVW.jpg

Also their skirts are too short, suggested hemlines:

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The ground texture is the worst thing about tank girls.
I'd like to think that near the end of the series Girls und Panzer will pull all the way back and reveal that it is actually the world of BattleTanx on the Nintendo 64 in the far flung future. That is my ideal ending for the show.

It would also explain the colored tanks.

Grzi

*Raises eyebrow* While I do really like magi I would never describe the art as being detailed or unique, it's far from it especially next to your usual shounen for example next to fairy tail it's characters aren't as varied or as detailed or next to naruto same thing, it's art is definitely it's weak point it looks very anime.

But what I really love about magi is, it's political debates in the balbad arc.

I never said it's detailed (although certain panels most surely are), but that it's unique in that it uses mostly soft edges (it's hard for me to really describe it) while most other manga use a "sharper" style, the character faces and clothes in Magi have a unique flow to them, they just seem "softer", at least that's how I see it. And while the character designs aren't too detailed (for the better) they are all easily recognizable and memorable, and transfer amazingly into animation. You can tell a lot of care and attention went into designing them.

Articalys

Weekly BD/DVD/CD Sales for November 5-11:

Blu-ray
*1, 7,328 **7,328 Tari Tari vol.3
*2, 3,694 **3,694 Oda Nobuna no Yabou vol.3
*3, 3,590 **3,590 K vol.1
*4, 2,632 **2,632 K vol.2
*5, *,916 *30,716 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition
*6, *,893 *34,336 Strike Witches The Movie Limited Edition
*7, *,815 ***,815 Moyashimon Returns vol.3
*8, *,458 170,106 Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
*9, *,439 **5,543 Five Star Stories Reprint Edition
10, *,381 *20,662 Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II vol.2 Limited Edition

DVD
*1, 2,210 *,**2,210 One Piece 14th Season vol.14
*2, 1,607 *,**1,607 K vol.1
*3, 1,202 *,**1,202 Naruto: Shippuuden Kyubi Shoaku to Inganaru Kaiko no Sho vol.2
*4, 1,047 *,**1,047 K vol.2
*5, 1,035 *,**1,035 Himitsukessha Taka no Tsume NEO vol.1
*6, *,918 *,***,918 Nintama Rantarou Movie
*8, *,829 *,***,829 Oda Nobuna no Yabou vol.3
10, *,711 *,***,711 Moyashimon Returns vol.3
13, *,588 *,**2,906 Momo e no Tegami
14, *,585 1,165,097 Tonari no Totoro
16, *,505 *,*13,974 Kuroko no Basket vol.4
19, *,428 *,**2,696 Inazuma Eleven DVD Box vol.3
22, *,416 *,***,416 Fairy Tail vol.34
23, *,395 *,**8,238 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition
29, *,308 *,***,308 Sore Ike! Anpanman
30, *,300 *,***,300 Kono Danshi, Ningyo Hiroimashita.

Single CD
*5, 23,047 23,047 Ixion Saga DT "DT Suteru" "Let's go ED"
*8, 10,721 10,721 Bakuman. 3 "Pride on Everyday"
12, *8,730 *8,730 Code:Breaker "Dark Shame"
19, *4,660 67,991 Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse "Go to the top"
20, *4,313 *4,313 Jormungand: Perfect Order "Laterality"
22, *4,044 *4,044 Gintama' Enchousen "Moonwalk"
26, *3,598 14,706 Little Busters! "Little Busters!" "Alicemagic"
28, *3,503 50,427 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari "Hikari Furu"
30, *3,022 *3,022 K "Tsumetai Heya, Hitori"
32, *2,774 69,646 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari "Luminous"
34, *2,754 *2,754 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb "Yume Gumo"
35, *2,647 *2,647 To LOVE-Ru Darkness "Foul Play ni Kurari"
39, *2,510 20,101 Macross FB7: Ginga Rukon - Ore no Uta wo Kike! "Nyan Nyan Fire!! ~Totsugeki Planet Exposion" "Virgin Story"
41, *2,413 17,823 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! "Sparkling Daydream"
44, *1,984 *1,984 Girls und Panzer "Enter Enter Mission!"
49, *1,751 *6,726 Gintama' Enchousen "Let's go out"

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 24
POMF =3

My, god that's two episodes in a row without any CG whatsoever. Whatever's gone wrong, it seems to have "fixed" itself going by the preview. Still, what they lost in CG they've more than made up for with just how shit everything looked:

kingdom24b.jpg
kingdom24c.jpg
kingdom24d.jpg
kingdom24e.jpg
kingdom24f.jpg
kingdom24g.jpg
kingdom24h.jpg
kingdom24i.jpg
kingdom24j.jpg
kingdom24k.jpg

Blu-ray

why

Defuser

Single CD
*5, 23,047 23,047 Ixion Saga DT "DT Suteru" "Let's go ED"
*8, 10,721 10,721 Bakuman. 3 "Pride on Everyday"
12, *8,730 *8,730 Code:Breaker "Dark Shame"
19, *4,660 67,991 Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse "Go to the top"
20, *4,313 *4,313 Jormungand: Perfect Order "Laterality"
22, *4,044 *4,044 Gintama' Enchousen "Moonwalk"
26, *3,598 14,706 Little Busters! "Little Busters!" "Alicemagic"
28, *3,503 50,427 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 2: Eien no Monogatari "Hikari Furu"
30, *3,022 *3,022 K "Tsumetai Heya, Hitori"
32, *2,774 69,646 Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 1: Hajimari no Monogatari "Luminous"
34, *2,754 *2,754 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb "Yume Gumo"
35, *2,647 *2,647 To LOVE-Ru Darkness "Foul Play ni Kurari"
39, *2,510 20,101 Macross FB7: Ginga Rukon - Ore no Uta wo Kike! "Nyan Nyan Fire!! ~Totsugeki Planet Exposion" "Virgin Story"
41, *2,413 17,823 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! "Sparkling Daydream"
44, *1,984 *1,984 Girls und Panzer "Enter Enter Mission!"
49, *1,751 *6,726 Gintama' Enchousen "Let's go out"
Now this is the biggest surprise of all. I didn't know Ixion Saga DT is popular.

Yesterday work was running a bit late, so I figured I'd do the rounds and check in on all the school clubs until it was time to head home. After poking my head into the art club, I invited myself in and found that aside from the two gentlemen sitting in the back, the class was entirely composed of girls.

What were these girls drawing? Doujin, sketches of their favorite anime, etc. Terrified of the stray foreign teacher discovering their fujoshi tendencies, I made myself at home and started chatting them up about recent shows and shit. Discovered some hilarious stuff about some of my 7th graders and her tastes in anime; she's a huge fucking Yu Yu Hakusho fan and nearly did a lap around the room when I told her I used to be a big fan back in the day.

The bigger news being that Magi is the big thing amongst 7th and 8th grade girls right now. As they put it, it's currently experiencing something of a "boom." Hahaha.

Unsurprisingly, they all love K-On!, dug Hyouka, and are currently enjoying Chuu2 like crazy. SAO is also getting the consistent amount of love it seems to always get from the middle school girl audience.

I always find it fascinating to see what these age groups think of recent shows/what they're watching. For example, their love of K-On! stems from the very basic "they're just like us! It reminds me of when I hang out with my friends" sense of closeness/nostalgia/whatever you want to call it. Of course, they're much less articulate about it and tend to say something more along the lines of "The girls are cute and they're like us and they're cute and TEEHEEHEEHEE *insert ridiculous amounts of preteen/teenage girl giggling here*"

Though the best moment came today when one of the girls was like "Elliot sensei, do you... nevermind." After pressing her to ask me, she finally spoke up and asked if I was familiar with boys love. "Oh yeah, one of my good friends who works at a manga publisher used to drag me around with her to all the shops!"

I think one of them almost fainted. Hahaha.

Though the best moment came today when one of the girls was like "Elliot sensei, do you... nevermind." After pressing her to ask me, she finally spoke up and asked if I was familiar with boys love. "Oh yeah, one of my good friends who works at a manga publisher used to drag me around with her to all the shops!"

Gold. I love these stories.

Defuser

Yesterday work was running a bit late, so I figured I'd do the rounds and check in on all the school clubs until it was time to head home. After poking my head into the art club, I invited myself in and found that aside from the two gentlemen sitting in the back, the class was entirely composed of girls.

What were these girls drawing? Doujin, sketches of their favorite anime, etc. Terrified of the stray foreign teacher discovering their fujoshi tendencies, I made myself at home and started chatting them up about recent shows and shit. Discovered some hilarious stuff about some of my 7th graders and her tastes in anime; she's a huge fucking Yu Yu Hakusho fan and nearly did a lap around the room when I told her I used to be a big fan back in the day.

The bigger news being that Magi is the big thing amongst 7th and 8th grade girls right now. As they put it, it's currently experiencing something of a "boom." Hahaha.

Unsurprisingly, they all love K-On!, dug Hyouka, and are currently enjoying Chuu2 like crazy. SAO is also getting the consistent amount of love it seems to always get from the middle school girl audience.

I always find it fascinating to see what these age groups think of recent shows/what they're watching. For example, their love of K-On! stems from the very basic "they're just like us! It reminds me of when I hang out with my friends" sense of closeness/nostalgia/whatever you want to call it. Of course, they're much less articulate about it and tend to say something more along the lines of "The girls are cute and they're like us and they're cute and TEEHEEHEEHEE *insert ridiculous amounts of preteen/teenage girl giggling here*"

This is like one of my Japanese animes.

cjkeats

They could make a delightful slice of life anime about your life.

Kagami

YomeColle update:
rhNtll.jpg

I just thought it was funny that they were so lazy when taking this cap that they didn't bother removing the guy from the frame. Go figure. lol

I've never been sure what to make of this one:

MIxLo.jpg

That's Ichika's "Welcome home" card, but there's Kaito's head in the bottom left, and all three of this card's voices are her frantically trying to "explain." Am I being NTRed here??

Dresden

girls und panzer - 05

Hype as fuck, can't wait for the conclusion this week. Damn Americans with their moneys and numbers and enthusiasm.

Grzi

You should post this type of stuff more often. I love your stories.

Maedhros

Haha, that was a nice read. :)

Grzi

Saint Seiya Omega 29 - 31

Well, I must say I enjoy the direction the series has taken, it's like a tournament arc of sorts, a no holds barred shounen, really sweet. They'll probably continue with this setup of Twelve Zodiac Temples until the final showdown (I expect this to last at least until episode 42), and I would enjoy it if they did. It's simple, but effective, with no need for filler crap. The show might actually redeem itself for everything in this second arc.

I just checked and this is basically how the original show played out? Fine by me.

Anyway, I really hope Kouga gets a more interesting attack, the Ryu Sei-Ken is kind of boring, although it seems they switched it up a bit with the uppercut or whatever. But he still needs something new, pronto.

Visually these three episodes didn't have any exciting animation, but the character models looked good for the most part, especially during close-ups, which is great.

When can we expect another Umakoshi episode?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Livin' the dream. :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War (may include some spoilers for the show)
VVMRal.jpg

im yang wenli and i command space fleets
So, lots of mixed feelings about this one. Good things first: great mechanical animation (the Valkyries have always been a joy to watch, but even the regular fleet ships looked gorgeous in movement), the soundtrack is as classy as usual, and the lack of a narrator fits the medium better this time around. The movie also touches upon
the relationship between Jessica Edwards, Jean Robert Lappe, and Yang Wenli. While nothing too blatant, it lays out Yang’s feelings in the triangle with more melancholy and reluctance. He seemed to be fairly asexual for most of the show –or, rather, quite uninterested in women issues until the women threw themselves upon him. The depiction of the love triangle here makes it clear how Yang is sacrificing his own feelings for the sake of Jean Robert. It’s pretty much in agreement with his assessment many episodes later that he denies himself a normal life because of the bloodshed he feels he’s entitled to. Not that that’s much of a problem right now in his pre-Iserlohn days, but still. Speaking of the love triangle, I adored the way the director handled the dine-out sequence. It’s about five minutes straight devoid of any dialogue and just clean character animation carrying it through.
Nothing particularly groundbreaking in terms of storytelling, but nevertheless a moment of praise for a series that’s so verbose.
Lvw64l.jpg

Who the shit is this monocle dude anyway?
That said… I don’t believe the thing works at all. The movie is still structured like an episode of the television series. It just happens that it spends about forty minutes of background information about the aforementioned love triangle and lots more of Prince Braunschweig and/or the Imperial nobility being fucking arseholes towards Lord Reinhard von Lohengramm Musel. So, same shit, different day? I understand the necessity to bring the new audiences up to speed, but by doing so you create an entire first act that’s frankly devoid of anything interesting going on. I think it was firehawk (?) who complained about the talking heads in his review of the movie? There’s actually (and this is totally empirical; don’t fucking ask me to time and count the lines in the film) much less verbosity in Overture than in a regular episode of LotGH, but most of it is concentrated in the first forty minutes of it. It’s a very frontloaded work, and I honestly felt tempted to skip much of it.
mUmpUl.jpg

The :dtl is already going off the charts and I still have to watch Golden Wings!
Regardless of what you think of the first two episodes of LotGH with all its pompousness and scarce animation, it immediately throws you into the heat of the action and later fills you up with all the niggly details that make the cast of Legend so rich and varied. That opener leaves a strong impression and sets the tone for the rest of the series: vast in scope, larger than life characters, and tons of sweet pew pew. The first half of Overture is unlike anything else in the show, and it seriously put a damp on the rest of the experience for me.
vbpBul.jpg

I think this may be the only instance of a Dutch angle in the entire show.
I don’t want to sound too cynical about it. I thought it was neat; I just wouldn’t advise anyone towards watching this instead of the actual two first episodes. Three surreptitiously mute Poplans out of five.

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure 06

MY BLOOD IS BOILING WITH AN AWESOME HEAT

AND I JUST PEED MY PANTS

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 01 - 04
i didn't know what to expect when i started the first episode.. i knew at best that it had a school setting of some wort but that's it ..

i was pleasantly surprised i ended up enjoying it ..
First the graphics.. the animation is well above average in most points
Second the voice work is accurate towards the characters
third the characters themselves are "cliché" ( most of them ) BUT it works properly because they have all a goal , hobby and except the MC at first a clear direction.. i enjoy characters that are straight in their views of the world and by the time Ep4 finished i'm happy that the plot reached a stable loop ..with his setting now clearly defined .

IPvael.jpg

Congrats !

It was kinda obvious by the anime rules that our quiet girl would be more than that but i'm glad that the "reveal" affected our MC this way ...it kinda forced each character to present himself in a new light .. On a similar note , the duo genki girl / pimp writter is also a sub plot that i hope will get adressed in the future ..

The voice actress / friendzoned girl has lost the fight ..but maybe not the war even if as of now is at a clear disadvantage .. i'll see how this will work out ..

Last but not least the hikikomori programmer with his maid-chan AI is not bad himself he will need his own specialised episode in the future and i hope they will deliver.

Well ..thank to his casting and the fact that the characters are not idiots , i've managed to enjoy this anime .. I hope they will keep this up but it was without a doubt a good start

Defuser

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo ep 6
This episode went all serious on me but I ain't complaining because it's excellent. Oh Aoyama, you're such a naughty girl deep down. Best girl of the show.

Orlandu84

I finally got around to watching Magi's sixth episode this morning, and I enjoyed it a lot. I thought that the anime expanded the actions sequences quite well. Also, I actually really liked how it further developed Morgiana's recollections of her past - the anime made them most more poignant. Those were grim scenes but well realized in comparison to the manga.

Blu-ray
*1, 7,328 **7,328 Tari Tari vol.3
*8, *,458 170,106 Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
*9, *,439 **5,543 Five Star Stories Reprint Edition

No justice in this world!

Blu-ray

DVD
*2, 1,607 *,**1,607 K vol.1
*4, 1,047 *,**1,047 K vol.2
16, *,505 *,*13,974 Kuroko no Basket vol.4
23, *,395 *,**8,238 Sword Art Online vol.1 Limited Edition

40K for SAO v1, impressive.

Anyway, good for K, hopefully in the realm of an s2 release, I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom