• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah, it seems silly. Either Fate/Zero shouldn't count because it was a 2011 show, or Chihayafuru should because it continued airing in 2012. I would be fine with either one, but having one count and one not is kind of silly.

So. Only half a show should count? I don't know how I feel about that.

Articalys

Series that air in two different calendar years are definitely the more difficult issue to consider. I'm personally okay with it (although ultimately, my vote would be for eligibility being based on the calendar year in which a series ends rather than begins), but I guess that the main concerns are that no one wants to risk one show winning two AotYs or that no one wants the endless shounens siphoning votes every year off of smaller shows that deserve more visibility. Of course, there can be rules implemented to prevent these scenarios from happening, but that's the issue as I understand it.
Yeah, this is what I'm most trying to figure out. The 2010 poll (the first time there was anything of the sort) was done in mid-August 2011, so it was more straightforward, but I did the 2011 poll mostly in January 2012, so now the issue is still around. I kind of regret it now but there's not much I can do about the old one, just the upcoming one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If we counted Chihayafuru as a 2012 show, it looks like we'd also have to count Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki, P4A, Fam Fam Fam, Phi Brain S1, Gundam AGE, and probably a couple of other things.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Why don't we just not count animes for a year until it finishes airing? That would simplify so many things. Shows wouldn't be counted for a year until the last episode airs for that year.

As a thought, what about making it that any show which aired either its first or last episode during the year is eligible? It would resolve the situation for shows split across fall and winter and other possible scenarios, but it wouldn't allow every single ongoing show to be voted year in and year out.

Dresden

If we counted Chihayafuru as a 2012 show, it looks like we'd also have to count Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki, P4A, Fam Fam Fam, Phi Brain S1, Gundam AGE, and probably a couple of other things.

I don't think that's a big problem, tbh. Oil rises to the top. If someone wants to vote for a long-running shonen, why not?

I think it should just go like this, keeping it simple -

• TV shows that aired in 2012
  • OVAs released in 2012
  • movies with BD/DVD releases in 2012

Movies are tricky but ultimately, a bulk of us will never watch them in a theatrical format due to the US being a wasteland for that sort of a thing (no wolf children yet, somehow). Maybe it could have an option for those who did see it in theaters to vote for it, but then that gets drowned out due to a lack of numbers anyways.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, this is what I'm most trying to figure out. The 2010 poll (the first time there was anything of the sort) was done in mid-August 2011, so it was more straightforward, but I did the 2011 poll mostly in January 2012, so now the issue is still around. I kind of regret it now but there's not much I can do about the old one, just the upcoming one.

So you're the unofficial AotY organizer?

Personally, I like the poll coming in January because 95% of the previous year's anime are concluded at that point, but yeah, some kind of rule change wouldn't hurt. I suppose it's up to you whether you want to take the "eligible in both years" route or "eligible in end year" route.

As a thought, what about making it that any show which aired either its first or last episode during the year is eligible? It would resolve the situation for shows split across fall and winter and other possible scenarios, but it wouldn't allow every single ongoing show to be voted year in and year out.

I think that works, though assuming it takes place in January or whenever, I dont think Winter 2012/2013 shows should count. (assuming theres really early starters?)

CorvoSol

Gundam SEED Destiny 10 Say what you will about Destiny, but this show introduces me to two of my favorite characters in this continuity.
Chairman Durandal
and Meer Campbell. I love the former because he is just such an amazing schemer. The guy is constantly ten steps ahead of the rest of the game, and while the show hints and hints, you never quite know why or how. Meer I love because she's hiding how messed up she is behind the facade of being Lacus, and while she completely masters the vapid pop music princess side of Lacus, she trade's Lacus' political savvy for well, someone who is very, very messed up.

Which reminds me of how awesome one of Rau Le Creuset's last lines was "I'm sorry princess, but the real world isn't like the one in pop music!"

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't think that's a big problem, tbh. Oil rises to the top. If someone wants to vote for a long-running shonen, why not?

• OVAs released in 2012

Movies are tricky but ultimately, a bulk of us will never watch them in a theatrical format due to the US being a wasteland for that sort of a thing (no wolf children yet, somehow). Maybe it could have an option for those who did see it in theaters to vote for it, but then that gets drowned out due to a lack of numbers anyways.

I wasn't listing the multi-cour Fall '11 anime as an argument against changing the rules, but just for informational purposes in case there ends up being a rule change.

Can't see anything wrong with the rules you've proposed, let's just go with those if Arti agrees.

Maedhros

Code:Breaker 07

God, she's really perfect... Sakurakouji Sakura. What a fine lineage.

This show is still pure fun!

Jormungand 07

Hahaha, Wilee story was fucking hilarious. Seriously, this group is so fucking amazing. <3

Gundam SEED Destiny 10 Say what you will about Destiny, but this show introduces me to two of my favorite characters in this continuity.
Chairman Durandal
and Meer Campbell. I love the former because he is just such an amazing schemer. The guy is constantly ten steps ahead of the rest of the game, and while the show hints and hints, you never quite know why or how. Meer I love because she's hiding how messed up she is behind the facade of being Lacus, and while she completely masters the vapid pop music princess side of Lacus, she trade's Lacus' political savvy for well, someone who is very, very messed up.

Which reminds me of how awesome one of Rau Le Creuset's last lines was "I'm sorry princess, but the real world isn't like the one in pop music!"

wait ? someone like meer campbell ?
is that possible ?

i find everything about her to be unlikeable

Thanks, so sorta like Bebop then? How do you know a 'Complex' episode is coming up?

Except that Bebop only has a few episodes related to the main ongoing plot of Julia et al, while GITS SAC devotes much more of its running time to the story of the Laughing Man. You can tell what kind of an episode it'll be by the title card:

qxd5Y.jpg

hfMu8.jpg

Articalys

• OVAs released in 2012

So you're the unofficial AotY organizer?

Personally, I like the poll coming in January because 95% of the previous year's anime are concluded at that point, but yeah, some kind of rule change wouldn't hurt. I suppose it's up to you whether you want to take the "eligible in both years" route or "eligible in end year" route.
Well, I organized last year's and was going to volunteer again when it got closer to end-of-the-year time, but since everyone started to discuss it now I guess I'll formally volunteer if no one else has any objections.

That ruleset seems like it should work fine; maybe I'll just add a note that some series, while eligible under the rules, are still ongoing, so if one chooses to vote for them they should just keep that in mind.

CorvoSol

Gurren Lagann 11 No, I still hate Nia. Possibly even more. Even the fairly good explanation that she's a total Mary Sue because
she was made that way for the Spiral King's amusement
doesn't really change the fact that she's an annoying Mary Sue.

And while I'm glad that Simone is finally done pretending to be Shinji Ikari
the continued lack of Kamina is totally lame. Is he really dead for reals? Did such a heavily advertised character really bite it after a mere 8 episodes?
The worst part is that that has kind of made Yoko a moot character. She hasn't done much at all lately, and it's kind of lame.

I mean, the first few episodes were great because all three seemed to get equal time, but now it's just Simone Simone Simone Simone.

Bleh.

Psycho Pass 5:
That episode was actually more interesting than the last few. I thought the conversation between Akane and Masaoka touched on some interesting facets of how technology is viewed in this world, and Akane's actions made sense as someone who has grown up with all of that technology being second nature. There was also some interesting stuff regarding 'internet celebrities' and the way people build up ideas of others which can replace and miss the actual reality.

But a big problem I have is that a lot of ideas touched on in the show are only just touched on. There hasn't been enough time actually exploring the repercussions of most of these ideas. And while the end of this episode brought up some potentially interesting character development, there still hasn't been much on that front five episodes in. I don't feel like I really know any of the characters. And parts of this episode just made me realize how bland looking the 'reality' portions of the show look. It's not particularly interesting visually in any way. That would be excusable if the story had been amazing, but it's been fairly forgettable so far. There's way too much missed potential here. The show still has some time to recover that potential, but it needs to get moving on that front.

Genshiken 02

Not with that face.

Fun episode. I rather liked the two parallels of the shopping trip as well as all that discussion.

I also love that Hiyama plays Madarame. So much awesome to listen to every time he speaks.

CorvoSol

wait ? someone like meer campbell ?
is that possible ?

i find everything about her to be unlikeable

To be fair, my first time through, so did I, but my reaction to her changed significantly after
her death
. Watching the show again, I actually appreciate her character a lot more. What I like about Meer is that she knows and admits that she's being used and that it won't last forever, and she doesn't care. She's screwed up and has serious self-esteem issues, but she's not stupid.

To make matters worse, I think that Meer is a much more sympathetic screwed up girl than Flay ever was, even after Flay's
unspoken character development in Rau's custody.
And the best part is that where
Flay's death has a ridiculous Super Mario Galaxy ending, Meer's is straightforward and I felt was actually somewhat moving.

Big O 11 So okay, here's where I'm confused: Roger Smith mentions early on he's not an atheist, although not devout either. In the episode immediately prior to this one there's a scene set in what looks to be a cathedral. But at the same time, in episode 11, only one person seems to have any memory of what Christianity is/was in Paradigm city.

It's interesting to see though that, along with all their memories missing, the people of Paradigm are under the belief that something apocalyptic happened coinciding with that time, as everyone, excluding a certain someone, thinks that Paradigm City is the last civilization on earth.

This is obviously because they're the sole survivors of Third Impact.

cajunator

Banned
Genshiken 02

Not with that face.

Fun episode. I rather liked the two parallels of the shopping trip as well as all that discussion.

I also love that Hiyama plays Madarame. So much awesome to listen to every time he speaks.

Oh nice.
You started a great show.
Season 2 is even better.
Ohno is a goddess.

yami4ct

As long as we're doing preliminary AotY lists, I think mine's looking like this

1.Hunter x Hunter
2.Space Brothers
3.JoJo
4.Tsuritama
5.From the New World
6.Kids on the Slope
7.Blast of Tempest
8+:I honestly can't think of any more shows this year I like enough to put on this list. As much as I don't dislike Psycho-Pass, it certainly hasn't proven itself. Hopefully before it's time to do AotY, it will come out of its slump. I doubt it. HxH is a completely different show this year. The adaptation of Yorkshin is better than I could ever imagine.I didn't love that arc as much as some, but it was completely perfected here. SAO and E7AO are lol bad. E7AO is my front runner for worst show of the year. Have not seen Fate/Zero and therefore cannot comment.

And while I'm glad that Simone is finally done pretending to be Shinji Ikari
the continued lack of Kamina is totally lame. Is he really dead for reals? Did such a heavily advertised character really bite it after a mere 8 episodes?
The worst part is that that has kind of made Yoko a moot character. She hasn't done much at all lately, and it's kind of lame.

By the end of the series, Simon>>>>>>>>>>>Kamina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom