• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

meet me on the court if you wanna get dunked on.

giphy.gif

Building is overwhelming, I dont know where to start. Walls around a settlement or start with a house and go from there? Start with the floor or walls? Help :(

I'm starting to see no real use for walls. Especially if you can keep your defense above any resource production as you likely won't have many raids. Walls kill your settlement size. It can be fun but really a few guard posts and turrets will probably be fine.

Apathy

I finally ran into some Feral Ghouls and holy shit are they scary. In previous Fallout's they hardly felt like a threat, but passing through Lexington and Cambridge changed my opinion.

Hey ready to hate them more. They are overused, and in certain areas you just get wave after wave of them. Supermutants are the same.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
And then when you do establish a settlement, you'll find another place that's even cooler and move there.

At least that's my problem :p

nah I finished it, I have all locations available, thats not an issue

I'm starting to see no real use for walls. Especially if you can keep your defense above any resource production as you likely won't have many raids. Walls kill your settlement size. It can be fun but really a few guard posts and turrets will probably be fine.

Ive finished the game, I want to play legos, not play "whats useful"

HowZatOZ

Banned
I can just completely skip the shitty FarmVille crap right? I'm not interested at all in building up properties and wasting time farming for resources in an RPG where I should be focused on a story.

I can just completely I the shitty FarmVille crap right? I'm not interested at all in building up properties and wasting time farming for resources in an RPG where I should be focused on a story.

Yep, 40 hours in and I've built maybe five things (there is one late game thing you have to build to advance the plot, but it's simple). You can skip it entirely.

LordAmused

WOW! I was near the bookstore, looking for the freedom trail when a chopper crashed right in front of me into a huge explosion, lighting up the little street as if it were daytime. It surprised me so much I had to stop for a while...

Those little random stories are the best!

Which perk let's you fast travel while over encumbered?

Strong Back in STR

When it's maxed out at 4

Does it require Strength 10?

Strong back is 5 or 6 strength I think.

Requirements don't increase with perk level? I haven't been paying attention.

If you got access to the vertibird grenades, you dont need to invest in the perk.

If you got access to the vertibird grenades, you dont need to invest in the perk.
Ahh yes. I thought that those grenades were for doing chopper assaults. I called one in when capturing a satellite array full of super mutants. So it landed and I was like "you dead now fuckers". Then I hopped on and was like "lets go!" It just sat there and I got blowed up.

marzlapin

Question for anyone who's finished the main story: will finishing lock me out of any content (other than faction stuff)? I've been putting it off for now but I kinda want to just see the ending.

Building is overwhelming, I dont know where to start. Walls around a settlement or start with a house and go from there? Start with the floor or walls? Help :(

I wouldn't bother with walls, I did that for a few of them and it looks bad and is more of a pain in the ass than a help, enemies still get in regardless it seems and it's difficult to get in and out without fast travel.

so i got into the institute and I'm noticing its like the game is forcing me to side with the brotherhood of steel, I met the doctor that they want me to bring back and theres like no option for me to just say fuck the BoS, all options are basically to bring her back to them. Also I got the info thingie and I got to give it to the BoS, I don't want to... They're dicks. Hell, I didn't even want to build the damn teleporting machine with them, I was just happening to be doing faction quests and when I finished one it all of a sudden locked me with them. Am I going to be stuck with these dickheads for the rest of the game or what?
Anyone?

Question for anyone who's finished the main story: will finishing lock me out of any content (other than faction stuff)? I've been putting it off for now but I kinda want to just see the ending.
it keeps going after the main story ends. The true ending is when you have to side with one faction over the others. You can still keep playing after that though too. So you dont get locked out of content until you side with one of the factions.

Fjordson

Wow already 7 pages in here lol.

About to start my 9 day work break for Thanksgiving. Time for a hell of a lot of Fallout 4 =D

HowZatOZ

Banned
Yep, 40 hours in and I've built maybe five things (there is one late game thing you have to build to advance the plot, but it's simple). You can skip it entirely.
Great, it's absolutely pointless to me and I don't see any reason why it's in a game like Falloiut outside of prolonging the game's replayability.

How exactly does the Power Armor work? I have it in Sanctuary. If I want to use it somewhere do I need to get enough Fusion Cores to take it all the way there, use it and get it back?

Great, it's absolutely pointless to me and I don't see any reason why it's in a game like Falloiut outside of prolonging the game's replayability.
Well thats the whole point, innit?

Like, you get to build towns and make money and populate with people and defend it from attacks and stuff. What other purpose would it serve?

Watevaman

I may have wasted all of Reba II's ammo, but I killed the (or is it a?) Legendary Alpha Deathclaw. I have to say it's definitely easier if it can't get to you haha.

nah I finished it, I have all locations available, thats not an issue

Ive finished the game, I want to play legos, not play "whats useful"
Then go for it. Why the hell did you bother asking if that's all you want? Forgive me for providing some advice, by the way.

marzlapin

it keeps going after the main story ends. The true ending is when you have to side with one faction over the others. You can still keep playing after that though too. So you dont get locked out of content until you side with one of the factions.

Contains endgame spoilers:
Is getting to the Institute and speaking with Father actually the "ending"? I'm right before the Battle of Bunker Hill and just juggling all the factions for now.

Is getting to the institute and speaking with Father actually the "ending"? I'm right before the Battle of Bunker Hill and just juggling all the factions for now.
Endgame spoilers
yeah. I stopped at bunker hill as well. I read somewhere that its that mission where you have to choose which faction to side with. I think you might get locked out of some faction missions after that. Im not even 100% sure if that was the ending after you meet Father.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm actually torn to who to support in the main quest.

I actually really like the Institute, I mean the physical thing. I would live there in a heartbeat. I love "sterile, clean and purposeful" living compartments. Robots everywhere to serve me doesn't sound too bad either. And the character I play would be the runner boy on the wasteland every now and then. Sounds like a cool job.

It seems the Railroad is the truly fucked up here. The Institute doesn't take people and replaces them, that is the sole work of the Railroad, who imprints the Synths with artificial memories and places them into our midst, because they believe they are equal to humans. The Institute doesn't even send the Synth into the wasteland, that is also a Railroad supporter within the Institute. It's a good cause done badly, but it seems to me they value synths over actual humans.

The Brotherhood wants to destroy the Synth altogether, which I think would be also a good option, but they want to go a step too far and destroy the institute and everything else that seems like technology and want to keep that to themselves.

I still have to answer what the ultimate goal of "Mankind - Redefined" is. I mean do they want to create a new robo-human species or what? Otherwise, why do they have to look like humans? I don't get it. Why not make them look like Gen 1 models or something. That shouldn't impact their performance the slightest.

Can anyone tell me why I'm supposed to meet Virgil at The Glowing Sea? I've completely forgotten.

Sorry Shaun.
He was working for the Institute and knows how to access the Institute base.

Copenap

How exactly does the Power Armor work? I have it in Sanctuary. If I want to use it somewhere do I need to get enough Fusion Cores to take it all the way there, use it and get it back?
Yes. Just don't sprint, that's the main energy drain. 1 core should be easily enough for a mission without sprinting.

julrik

You can fast travel with it, if you've discovered the location earlier obviously.

The PA uses Cores, and will automatically switch to a new one if it's empty. Running and jumping drains the Core pretty fast. Just walking in it doesn't.

Caja 117

How bad is the framerate stuff with the XboxOne? Im getting the game tonight, and I would prefer Xbox one than PS4, but I want to know if the Framerate is a big issue, for reference playing trough Blight town in Darksouls wasn't that big of a pain for me

Contains endgame spoilers:
Is getting to the Institute and speaking with Father actually the "ending"? I'm right before the Battle of Bunker Hill and just juggling all the factions for now.
i think we are safe to do the bunker hill mission but I think its pretty damn close after that. Decisions will have to be made about alliances. So i think I will finish bunker hill tonight and then continue to do as many faction missions as I can before deciding.

You're wrong about one thing.
The Institute has been replacing people with synths. That's not the Railroad's doing, the Railroad manufactures new memories for the escapees. The Institute sees the people on the surface as worthless savages they can replace and destroy whenever they see fit. They're not 'the good guys', not by a long shot.

whats everyone's deal with the brotherhood? It's almost becoming a meme with how much they're hated.

I went with the Broterhood. No ragrets.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

I actually really like the Institute, I mean the physical thing. I would live there in a heartbeat. I love "sterile, clean and purposeful" living compartments. Robots everywhere to serve me doesn't sound too bad either. And the character I play would be the runner boy on the wasteland every now and then. Sounds like a cool job.

It seems the Railroad is the truly fucked up here. The Institute doesn't take people and replaces them, that is the sole work of the Railroad, who imprints the Synths with artificial memories and places them into our midst, because they believe they are equal to humans. The Institute doesn't even send the Synth into the wasteland, that is also a Railroad supporter within the Institute. It's a good cause done badly, but it seems to me they value synths over actual humans.

The Brotherhood wants to destroy the Synth altogether, which I think would be also a good option, but they want to go a step too far and destroy the institute and everything else that seems like technology and want to keep that to themselves.

I still have to answer what the ultimate goal of "Mankind - Redefined" is. I mean do they want to create a new robo-human species or what? Otherwise, why do they have to look like humans? I don't get it. Why not make them look like Gen 1 models or something. That shouldn't impact their performance the slightest.

He was working for the Institute and knows how to access the Institute base.
I'm going with the
Institute simply because I don't see nothing wrong with them using their own creations as they please A.I. or not and because I also sided with them on that Side Quest in Fallout 3

BoS from this coast can screw off thou simply because I was forced to Side with them in Fallout 3

Breads

Banned

It's an AAA crossplat game that will support modding on consoles. I think the reason is pretty clear. That said it's really easy to minmax so it's just a matter of being diligent with material collecting and, for the sake of saving time, opening supply lines.

The Flash

Banned
Which mission is the proverbial "point of no return". I want to be sure to make a save there so I can go back and do all the faction endings.

Ahh yes. I thought that those grenades were for doing chopper assaults. I called one in when capturing a satellite array full of super mutants. So it landed and I was like "you dead now fuckers". Then I hopped on and was like "lets go!" It just sat there and I got blowed up.

LOL, that was totally not what it was intended for.

You get in, and then you go to the map and select the fast travel, but instead of just teleporting there, the helicopter flys you there, and you can shoot shit on the way there.

It's pretty much a scenic fast travel. I use it when ive picked up too much shit and need to fast travel back because I dont like to drop shit.

marzlapin

About the Institute & Railroad:
I didn't get the impression the Railroad was responsible for replacing people with synths, but maybe I missed something? There's a file on one of the Institute terminals with a list of synths who have replaced various people, so I assumed it was actually the Institute doing that. The Railroad seems mostly ok morally, except for being cavalier about killing people who get in their way, but all the factions seem very "ends justify the means".

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
i now have a rank 3 Scrounger perk because my overseer's guardian has like 30 shots and unfortunately that's my best weapon so far, Fallout 4 seems way too stingy with the ammo compared to 3.

LOL, that was totally not what it was intended for.

You get in, and then you go to the map and select the fast travel, but instead of just teleporting there, the helicopter flys you there, and you can shoot shit on the way there.

It's pretty much a scenic fast travel. I use it when ive picked up too much shit and need to fast travel back because I dont like to drop shit.
Thats pretty cool. I could have used that a few times. When Im overencumbered I always just end up throwing back a buffout then fast travelling to my base and slowly walking the rest of the way to my workbench to unload. The vertabird sounds more fun.

Top Bottom