• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas DLC Vol3: Old World Blues |OT| What did you do with the brain?!

Raydeen

duckroll said:
I finally beat the DLC. It was really, really good. Definitely the longest and most content packed DLC yet. Took me about 11-13 hours to complete, and I didn't even discover all the locations yet. This is also the most meaningful DLC in terms of actually adding a major gameplay expansion element into the main game, since you can return to the Big Empty and use the Sink as your home base and continue to use all the benefits of the various appliances.

With such an ambitious scale, it is not surprising that this is also the buggiest DLC yet. I got a TON of CTDs throughout the DLC, sometimes multiple ones in succession as I restart NV over and over. The performance of the game in some areas are also suspect, with the framerate dropping rapidly at some places. Worst of all, I actually ran into an infinite loop bug in a major story conversation near the end of the DLC. It just kept looping two lines over and over until I loaded a previous save. It's a script bug too, so it will always be there if you select that dialogue option. >_<

I know that JE Sawyer said that DLCs can't be patched, but I hope they either do something about this, or someone creates a hotfix mod which fixes the problem. :/

The ending slides for OWB is possibly as long or longer than the ending slides for the main game. That's pretty crazy considering how the entire DLC is basically made for fans of lulz. I never expected them to put this much effort into the entire scope and implementation of the DLC, but I'm glad they did.

This...6 hours in. Loving it. Roll on on Lonesome Road.

Lakitu

st5fu
Tomorrow I'm finally going to get to play it.

Can't wait. Me and the
Legendary Bloatfly
will fuck each other up.

-BLITZ- said:
I was playing with myself-character when I blow him up from The Sink balcony and I end up on some
Follower of The Apocalypse dead guy
:O So I started to walk around the The Sink to find out a way of how to get there since it was somewhere very high and I really manage to get there after some time. Made a tutorial of how to get to him. If I wasn't doing some funny things to my character I think if wouldn't find out about this fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYJkp-jyAA

His loot:
* Doctors Bag
* Followers Doctor Coat - Science +5
* Stimpaks - x3
* Super Stimpak
cool, I thought there might have been something else up there besides the stuff on the ledge. thanks :)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i just read the Eurogamer review and their high score has me apprehensive of OWB now. They not only have a history of not understanding rpg games but in the review they clearly don't understand what makes Fallout, well, Fallout.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
I love Fallout DLC.

It absolutely spoils me to the point that I can look at admittedly decent stuff Bioware puts out and think "what is this forty minute runthrough shit?" but soooo good.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Completed this yesterday. I took my time with it, explored everything, collected everything. Had such a fun time, there was so much content and so many memorable moments. Definitely the best piece of DLC I've ever bought.

I need Lonesome Road, like, right now.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This is the most involved I've been in a game for a while. Been playing nearly non-stop since I dled it.

It seems a lot harder too compared to the other DLCs and main game.

Legendary bloatfly hardest enemy ever? That thing can take a hit and it kills a full health me in two hits.

tokkun

Kadey said:
Legendary bloatfly hardest enemy ever? That thing can take a hit and it kills a full health me in two hits.

Yeah...

I had a worse time with it than with the legendary Deathclaw or the boss of OWB. Sneak attack critical with the Gauss rifle + psycho only did about 40% damage, and his shots seem to cripple limbs in one hit.

-BLITZ- said:
I was playing with myself-character when I blow him up from The Sink balcony and I end up on some
Follower of The Apocalypse dead guy
:O So I started to walk around the The Sink to find out a way of how to get there since it was somewhere very high and I really manage to get there after some time. Made a tutorial of how to get to him. If I wasn't doing some funny things to my character I think if wouldn't find out about this fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYJkp-jyAA

His loot:
* Doctors Bag
* Followers Doctor Coat - Science +5
* Stimpaks - x3
* Super Stimpak
Lmao I just tried to get up there earlier but gave up.

Overall this is the best Fallout DLC so far imo. If you own NV and don't plan on getting this DLC, you're a mad man!

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm playing it now. After a few hours, it's excellent. Awesome atmosphere and style.

Still, this DLC is hell so far for my stealth character. I sniped two lobotomites at once and and then get bum rushed by like 10 or so lobotomites and Y-17s. They fucked me up pretty good.

Lothars

So I finished this over the weekend and It was really good, I would put it as the best piece of New Vegas content but just a little behind Point Lookout.

It's a great piece of DLC and I can't wait to play Lonesome Road.

BeeDog

I finished the DLC yesterday, finding every unique item and doing every side-quest. It's the best Fallout DLC until now; great writing, great voice-acting, good new items and a good world map. The biggest let-down is the absolutely ridiculous enemy spawn system; tons of hard-as-fuck nightstalkers/lobotomites spawn WAY too often. It made the item management an utter pain in the ass, and I lost tons of caps during my DLC run (I went in with ~85,000 caps and left with ~45,000 caps).

I didn't spend many caps in it, as there wasn't a whole lot of stuff I wanted to buy, and repairing the stealth suit was just too expensive, but I ran through nearly all my stimpacks.

BeeDog

rainking187 said:
I didn't spend many caps in it, as there wasn't a whole lot of stuff I wanted to buy, and repairing the stealth suit was just too expensive, but I ran through nearly all my stimpacks.

Yeah, forgot about that, I chewed through around 150 stimpaks thanks to the nightstalkers. Granted, I also spent tons of caps getting all the implants, but my Desert Ranger Combat Armor took one hell of a beating every time I ventured outside the Sink.

duckroll

You know, considering how hard Dead Money and Old World Blues is in general, is anyone else afraid that Avellone might be saving his most EVIL combat ideas for Lonesome Road? ^^;

BeeDog

I just hope they add some proper epic combat scenario in that DLC. The boss fight in OWB was pretty damn epic (and hard to boot!), so I hope they add a good set-piece... the set-pieces are few and far between, but when they pop up in 3/New Vegas, they're extra-awesome.

Anyway, what kind of builds do you guys have for your chars? Mine look like this:

Strength: 10 (+)
Perception: 6 (+)
Endurance: 7
Charisma: 6
Intelligence: 6
Agility: 5
Luck: 6

Barter: 84
Energy w.: 100 (+)
Explosives: 81 (+)
Guns: 100
Lockpick: 100 (+)
Medicine: 64
Melee w.: 100 (+)
Repair: 100
Science: 93
Sneak: 100
Speech: 94
Survival: 64
Unarmed: 74

I'm pretty proud of him :p (have all unique items in the whole game) but he still cannot take too much of a beating from deathclaws, cazadores or nightstalkers. Is it my SPECIAL stats that fucked him up, or?

Razorskin

----- ------
duckroll said:
You know, considering how hard Dead Money and Old World Blues is in general, is anyone else afraid that Avellone might be saving his most EVIL combat ideas for Lonesome Road? ^^;

Ulysses in a giant ass mech resembling liberty prime.

Tanolen

rainking187 said:

The crouch speed implant is a must buy.

Fjordson

Is Dr. Venture from Venture Bros. the voice of "O" ? Sounds just like him.

This DLC is awesome, btw. Fantastic writing.

Edit: Anyone have any tips as far as effective weapons versus Robo-Scorpions? I can kill them, but it feels like I'm using a ton of ammo.

This Machine seems like it's working the best right now. Might try my Plasma Rifle.

DarkKyo

I've been playing this over the course of the week and I can't get enough of it. I feel like it is almost over for me. :(
Just faced Mobius and reunited with my brain

I already did all the sink upgrade missions so now I gotta make sure I've explored everything before I continue.

Took some screens along the way... None of them have any spoilers, really.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559792646471075523/914984F6A3509BAC9104E048AA1A3AF3AEFB165C/ (so pretty.. so very scenic)
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560919180531118886/DCC9B23DF3E781D2283278581C268A528DC4B1E1/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560919180548523439/623E25C32522A11CE7124D40E8C10D085937ED72/
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560919180531123127/5EA997E6AAFF863BC3884EFDE517D0861CC9099F/ (I hate it when they die like that...)

Fjordson said:
Is Dr. Venture from Venture Bros. the voice of "O" ? Sounds just like him.
It totally is. It's like they aren't even trying to hide it... like they actually said to him "could you please do Dr. Venture for us?"

Also, I find explosives and OC/MC microfusion charges work well against robo-scorpions.

Sotha Sil

The Xtortionist said:
Meh, I'd rather have a 45 minute back and forth philosophy-fueled debate.

Exactly. I would like this DLC to be roleplaying-heavy. Old World Blues had lots of dialogue, but it was all too goofy. I hope Ulysses delivers.

DarkKyo

Sotha Sil said:
Exactly. I would like this DLC to be roleplaying-heavy. Old World Blues had lots of dialogue, but it was all too goofy. I hope Ulysses delivers.
Awww "goofy"? I think that's the point. It was a science fiction world gone insane. Putting serious dialogue in there would have diminished the effect of that.

Sotha Sil

Dechaios said:
Awww "goofy"? I think that's the point. It was a science fiction world gone insane. Putting serious dialogue in there would have diminished the effect of that.

Of course that's the point. Doesn't mean I have to like it! :) Old World Blues was great, but I really didn't like the dialogues (except the
discussion with the brain
, which was funny). To each their own.

Having a serious discussion about the Old World with Ulysses would be a blast.

Top Bottom