• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas DLC Vol3: Old World Blues |OT| What did you do with the brain?!

zam said:
Have you activated the auto-doc? You need to find the activation holo-tape and put it in, then you can upgrade different machines.

I think OWB is the best one so far, the environment, the items, the writing, all top notch.

Love the stealth suit, we are best friends forever, she told me that herself :D As to stealth weapons there is a silenced sniper rifle that used to belong to
Christine

yeah, have the holotape, but when I click the autodoc it says I still need to find it... sounds like I've found one of the possibly many (expected) glitches.. hopefully the autodoc is the only one. I hope the one for Muggy works at least (just for curiosity sake), but could probably get by w/o the rest..

The setting of OWB reminds me of Fallout 3 in a lot of ways. The barren, desolate landscape, the industrial complexes, heck, even the high-tech areas remind me of Project Purity and the Enclave.

EDIT: I also just encountered
the buried husk of a ginormous robo-scorpion... If that's the size of the thing we have to fight later on, Eep.

EDIT 2:
There's Cyberdogs playing poker. Best DLC. Ever.

zam

Blue Ninja said:
EDIT 2:
There's Cyberdogs playing poker. Best DLC. Ever.
Yeah first time walking through they were just staring at the screen, 2nd time through I saw them and laughed hard.

Yerolo

Just finished owb and loved it to bits....by far the best DLC for FO:V so far and right up there with the best from F3

I explored alot and did all sidequests, 9hrs playtime all up. Definately worth it

Can't wait to see how the final DLC (lonesome road) goes after this :)

I need to find some armor to repair my stealth suit, it's almost broken and it would cost like 12,000 caps to repair it.

EDIT: For anyone that's beaten it already:
Did you put your heart, spine and brain back in your body or did you stay like you were? I got all my organs back.

Yerolo

rainking187 said:
EDIT: For anyone that's beaten it already:
Did you put your heart, spine and brain back in your body or did you stay like you were? I got all my organs back.

I did, although I saved before doing so. You are left with some stat increases with everything back in so it isnt too bad, plus you can always go back to the Sink and swap out if you please

I am liking this DLC so far except for the 3 CTD's in about 4 hours, fuck. Having to save even more often than I normally do.

Also,
I really can't wait to fucking destroy those think tank bastards. Take my spine, brain and heart? I am taking that pacification field down and destroying those bastards.

Quikies83 said:
Any good tactics for taking care of these roboscorpions? I've just been popping some pills and running by them.
My shiny new proton axe is making short work of them.

duckroll

Having so much fucking fun with this. Finally found all the personalities for my home base. I guess it's time to head to X-13 next, since I've mostly completed X-8 and X-2. There are a surprising number of interesting optional areas too. And I've noticed TONS of Wild Wasteland content in the DLC. There's like one at every area! :D

duckroll said:
Having so much fucking fun with this. Finally found all the personalities for my home base. I guess it's time to head to X-13 next, since I've mostly completed X-8 and X-2. There are a surprising number of interesting optional areas too. And I've noticed TONS of Wild Wasteland content in the DLC. There's like one at every area! :D

WW spoilers
The poker playing cyber dogs at X-8 were hilarious. "Sit, Stay Kill!", the mini death claw is also awesome

Lakitu

st5fu
Conflict NZ said:
It fucking talks to you and uses stimpacks and Med-x when you are running low on health. Coolest fucking suit ever.

zam said:
I think OWB is the best one so far, the environment, the items, the writing, all top notch.

Love the stealth suit, we are best friends forever, she told me that herself :D As for stealth weapons there is a silenced sniper rifle that used to belong to
Christine
. Myself I'm loving the LAER (or
Elijah's[/spoler] Advanced LAER) and the K9000 (minigun with a dog's bran that barks) though I feel bad when I put away the K9000, cause he makes a sad whine when you holster it or switch to a different weapon.
Oh my god. I want that stealth suit and silenced sniper rifle. Must resist the urge to look at the stats on the Fallout Wiki. Dare I say I have replacements for my Assassin Suit and Gobi? <3 Obsidian

Sober

Did anyone upgrade all of The Sink's personalities before "ending" the DLC? It feels like the ending slides will change if you do (even though I think you can upgrade them after you finish OWB and come back to continue).

Spent like 6 hours but mostly on the main quest and only activated the personalities and only upgraded a few that I found along the way.

Quikies83 said:
Any good tactics for taking care of these roboscorpions? I've just been popping some pills and running by them.
Yeah the blaster models are pretty nasty, I find I have to go slam stimpacks on myself after a couple of hits to not die. Med-X, Psycho, Slasher helps if you are planning on destroying them. FIDO with .44 Magnum SWC rounds are pretty good, though I wish I brought an Assault Carbine in with me first time around ever since they gave 5mm rounds ridiculous amounts of -DT.

I literally just started last night. Still in the first area, currently talking to all the brains. But even this far in it is my favorite Fallout DLC. It is absolutely hilarious and incredibly interesting so far. Plus, a DOG gun. I mean..its a gun, with the brain of a DOG!

Just finished the main quest (and I think most of the sidequests, one seems to be bugged for me) and it is definitely my favorite expansion for New Vegas yet. It still isn't quite Point Lookout but it's the closest yet with a sizeable area to explore, multiple sidequests (that intersect with the main ones several times), and some good new enemies. I came in right at level 40 and hit level 45 well before I finished.

The dialogue in many places seems like it could go on forever and it was all very well written. While I may have liked Zion in terms of exploration more, the setting was very cool. Dead Money probably had the better story (the one in Old World Blues doesn't develop much after the start, you are given a goal and can do all the side stuff you want but the goal stays A to B without a C coming). The characters are quite interesting as well but Dead Money still might edge it out in that category. So I guess this DLC does the best at bringing in all the aspects of what makes Fallout so interesting.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Them's Good Eatin' is one of the best in-jokes in a game, never mind a Fallout game, to date. I have never wanted to high-five the screen so hard.

I'm switching back from the Stealth Suit to the Assassin Suit from Dead Money. The suit's voice is annoying, and it's overzealous use of Med-X keeps getting my character addicted to it. I didn't even know the player could get addicted to Med-X. :lol

EDIT: Lol, mining leprechauns.

MechaX

I didn't really bite for New Vegas's DLC because of how... "not really worth the money" any of the F3 DLC was with the exception of Broken Steel. But I've heard some pretty positive word of mouth for this one especially. Are the other two worth it, because I would prefer to go in order.

Okay, the last thing I expected to discover [spoilers for Mysterious Cave]
was a goddamn Legendary Bloatfly. Especially a Legendary Bloatfly that was tough as nails, and violently exploded upon death.

Blue Ninja said:
was a goddamn Legendary Bloatfly. Especially a Legendary Bloatfly that was tough as nails, and violently exploded upon death.

Oh yeah, that thing...
I have 415 health with a 35.0 DT rating on my melee character and that fucking legendary bloatfly one shot me with his ranged attack. I had to load up on chems and get all fucked up just to go handle him, but I did. I love how he drops 50+ bloatfly meat as well, Bloatfly sliders for dayyyyys

Really liking the named NPC's though, there are a ton of them and I love finding them all over. So far, this is my favorite DLC out of the 3. Even with the CTD's and freezing on the loading screen.

Also, some of the back story that you find on the terminals around the Big MT are pretty crazy, really liking finding those and seeing what Big MT was like before the war.

Oh yeah, Salient green Lol.

imoTEP12 said:
I usually just take med-x out of my inventory...but yeah the suits loves to use the chems.

Real chemists use Slasher.

imoTEP12

MechaX said:
I didn't really bite for New Vegas's DLC because of how... "not really worth the money" any of the F3 DLC was with the exception of Broken Steel. But I've heard some pretty positive word of mouth for this one especially. Are the other two worth it, because I would prefer to go in order.

I usually just take med-x out of my inventory...but yeah the suits loves to use the chems.

Blue Ninja said:

jesus christ @ this, just found him

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Can't say I'm really feeling this DLC. I thought the Think Tank was pretty hit and miss from the beginning, and as time goes on they seem to veer more and more into miss territory. And they never shut up. The area is crawling with enemies with high DT and HP, and more tend to spawn every time you complete a quest objective, giving the whole thing an unpleasant feeling of being a series of monster closets spewing out bullet sponges. None of the new equipment is doing much for me, and I'm probably going to be sticking it all in a closet in the Lucky 38 as soon as I get back to the Mojave.

There's also a weird graphical problem I'm having where every time a Robo-Scorpion fires its tail laser my framerate tanks. That's turned more than a few sections into slideshows.

I did like the stealth armor's excessive enthusiasm turning me into a raging Morphine Med-X addict, though.

Sober

ixix said:
Can't say I'm really feeling this DLC. I thought the Think Tank was pretty hit and miss from the beginning, and as time goes on they seem to veer more and more into miss territory. And they never shut up. The area is crawling with enemies with high DT and HP, and more tend to spawn every time you complete a quest objective, giving the whole thing an unpleasant feeling of being a series of monster closets spewing out bullet sponges. None of the new equipment is doing much for me, and I'm probably going to be sticking it all in a closet in the Lucky 38 as soon as I get back to the Mojave.
Maybe, were you playing with a guns character? By the time I finished OWB, and this was at level 40 when I started on non-hardcore so I was hoarding ammo LIKE A CRAZY PERSON, I ran completely out of 44 magnum (and SWC) and burned through all my 12 gauge magnum and slugs by the end. Probably brought the wrong weapons, or guns aren't as good as melee/unarmed here. I had 25 melee skill, switched out to a Proton Axe and still easily killed a roboscorpion faster than I expected. The only real annoying enemies in this game are the 500hp nightstalkers (that sometimes come in packs of 5 or more) or the Y-17 Harness guys who have like 20 DT.

I'm not sure how energy wep characters would fare since their weapons don't have much -DT on them.

There was a joke the Toaster made about having a snowglobe, that was a good one. The personalities in The Sink are pretty good.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I meant big stuff like quarls texture pack or OOO for Oblivion. Guess I should just look. I got almost to the end of the game when it was released and then I lost my save. Was waiting for some big mods to come out before I started it up again.

ezekial45

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
How has the mod support been for this? Any Oblivion level madness yet?

I found it to be pretty awesome. A World of Pain is pretty fantastic (adds over 90+ new locations, an underground cavern network with side quests and new enemies, new weapons, mods, and new gear). Plus the New Vegas Bounties mods are really great.

Not to mention the Project New Vegas mod that rebalances the game and adds a crap ton of features.

ixix

Sober said:
Maybe, were you playing with a guns character? By the time I finished OWB, and this was at level 40 when I started on non-hardcore so I was hoarding ammo LIKE A CRAZY PERSON, I ran completely out of 44 magnum (and SWC) and burned through all my 12 gauge magnum and slugs by the end. Probably brought the wrong weapons, or guns aren't as good as melee/unarmed here. I had 25 melee skill, switched out to a Proton Axe and still easily killed a roboscorpion faster than I expected. The only real annoying enemies in this game are the 500hp nightstalkers (that sometimes come in packs of 5 or more) or the Y-17 Harness guys who have like 20 DT.

Guns are my main weapons, but I've got around 60 points in Energy Weapons and Melee, so I've got plenty of options offense-wise. My main problem is that the only armor-piercing ammo I brought with me was .45-70 SWC, which isn't terribly easy to replenish in the Mojave and is even rarer in the Big Empty. Had I known about the high DT beforehand I probably would have brought as much 5mm ammo as I could carry.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
_tetsuo_ said:
I meant big stuff like quarls texture pack or OOO for Oblivion. Guess I should just look. I got almost to the end of the game when it was released and then I lost my save. Was waiting for some big mods to come out before I started it up again.
There are a lot of really awesome mods but since NV is still being officially updated its kind of hard to say what exactly to use.

ixix

You'll want either high per-shot damage to overcome the high enemy DT with pure power, or high DPS with ammo that has a -DT effect.

5mm ammo has a natural -10 DT, so an Assault Carbine or Minigun would probably be your best bet. Had I the chance to do it over I'd go into Old World Blues with the Avenger and enough 5mm to hit my weight limit.

SRG01

ixix said:
You'll want either high per-shot damage to overcome the high enemy DT with pure power, or high DPS with ammo that has a -DT effect.

5mm ammo has a natural -10 DT, so an Assault Carbine or Minigun would probably be your best bet. Had I the chance to do it over I'd go into Old World Blues with the Avenger and enough 5mm to hit my weight limit.

So melee is completely useless in this DLC?

ixix

SRG01 said:
So melee is completely useless in this DLC?

Actually it's super useful, but the best melee weapon for most of the nasties in the Big Empty is found within the Big Empty itself, so no forethought is really necessary.

By comparison, any armor-piercing ammo is almost vanishingly rare, so you'll want to bring in plenty if you're a Guns-focused character.

Yanksfan

ezekial45 said:
I found it to be pretty awesome. A World of Pain is pretty fantastic (adds over 90+ new locations, an underground cavern network with side quests and new enemies, new weapons, mods, and new gear). Plus the New Vegas Bounties mods are really great.

Not to mention the Project New Vegas mod that rebalances the game and adds a crap ton of features.

Mmmmmm..I am returning to PC gaming after about a 15 year absence..this sounds fantastic. I will have to double dip on this and F3 if my PC can handle them both.

Sober

Melee has Piercing Strike which probably makes it hilarious vs. some of the tougher things that have 20 DT. IIRC, all the protonic (inverse as well) axes have a bonus against robots so melee weapons shouldn't be a problem anyway for most enemies in OWB.

Also, for Guns users, I don't know if The Sink CUI actually refreshes stock (and even then he carries so little ammo to begin with) so it'll be tough as hell especially if you are on Hardcore and ammo has weight. Pretty sure I ran out of K9000/FIDO ammo and shotgun ammo and I was doing all I could, breaking down useless ammo I had stocked up since forever and even having the Ammo Scrounger perk.

wow, back to playing new vegas again this time on pc. it looks INSANE in 3d vision 3D, and that's on a laptop at 1080p (try doing that with dead rising 2). Before typing this I was exploring someone's house and it just looked real. The 3D effect combined with the fantastic detail of every item in the game down to every food item, piece of junk etc really looks incredible. Plus now weapons looks incredibly lifelike and detailed, even just bare hands. Its gonna be fun going through all the weapons again, everything feels new despite having played a ton on 360 when the game first came out.

Best New Vegas DLC so far. A few observations about the ending:

- Ending is a little preachy, but otherwise okay with me. I chose to make Dr Klein surrender by turning his colleagues against him, so that's probably part of it. I'm curious as to what the other choices lead to. Dead Money had a much better ending in terms of emotional impact, but I liked that all the Sink personalities got their own ending. Would have been nice if the other Think Tank brains had endings too.

- I noticed that parts of the ending will change depending on how thoroughly you explored Big MT. I finished before I had found all the locations with the intention of coming back to find everything, but the ending gave me a hint that I needed to find every location. Beyond that, though, a personality's ending may change depending on the locations discovered. The Sink's AI will change depending if you found the Innovative Toxins lab.

EDIT: According to the Wikia article, you need to have over 25 locations to get the "best" ending for exploration. It probably still needs confirmation, but there's a chance you won't have to get them all.

- I love that you get to come back to The Sink using an instant teleport! I've made The Sink my new house, because of all the amenities it has. And using the Transportalponder doesn't count as fast travel, so I picked up all my gear by choosing the Take All option, teleported to The Sink overencumbered, and left all my stuff there. Easy.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
cleveridea said:
wow, back to playing new vegas again this time on pc. it looks INSANE in 3d vision 3D, and that's on a laptop at 1080p (try doing that with dead rising 2). Before typing this I was exploring someone's house and it just looked real. The 3D effect combined with the fantastic detail of every item in the game down to every food item, piece of junk etc really looks incredible. Plus now weapons looks incredibly lifelike and detailed, even just bare hands. Its gonna be fun going through all the weapons again, everything feels new despite having played a ton on 360 when the game first came out.
Do you have any of the visual enhancement mods like Eve or Ojo Bueno?

edit: Heres an example from Ojo Bueno
CF99a.jpg

And Essential Visual Enhancements
8BaFI.jpg

NLZjo.jpg

L6cRZ.jpg

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Walk into Mysterious Cave. Not seeing much! Pick off some bloatflies, wander around. Ah, a
legendary bloatfly. Must mean it has some legendary loot, ofc.
Start popping it with my sniper rifle ... not doing much damage. Move in a bit closer for some VATS action. It sees me, but no pr-

1z1cu83.jpg

Full health and good armor, still took my head off in one shot. You can have your damn cave, bro. ¬_¬

Yerolo

GuiltybyAssociation said:
You can have your damn cave, bro. ¬_¬

Haha,
definately the toughest mob in the game. Funny thing was, that it wasn't really guarding anything of great value in that cave. The only thing of note was a little outcrop at the top with scientist scrubs, gloves and the usual junk....wtf

Rikyfree

LOVING THIS! Great humor and good enemies. I do have one question:
does Christine ever show in this outside of a voice in diaries?

Yerolo said:
Haha,
definately the toughest mob in the game. Funny thing was, that it wasn't really guarding anything of great value in that cave. The only thing of note was a little outcrop at the top with scientist scrubs, gloves and the usual junk....wtf

what, 50+ meat and a bunch of psycho aren't enough for you! haha truth be told it was a letdown in terms of rewards, but the fight was epic and challenging and also quite a nice surprise!

duckroll

Man, I can't believe how much nice optional content has been packed into this DLC. It even has challenge perks!

Killing Cazadors in their special splicing facility gives the DNAvenger perk which adds +10% damage to Cazadors. The Perk even has 3 ranks, so you can increase your damage to Cazadors by up to 30%! :eek:

-BLITZ-

3 ranks ? I thought it has only 1 rank :|

Eh, well from where to get more of them, oh yeah, wait outside of Big Mt. but I want to find more on Empty. I'm on the second playthrough, taking the missions and exploring more serious now. Was best to reach level 3 on Cazadors before entering in Big Empty. :)

Top Bottom