• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas DLC Vol3: Old World Blues |OT| What did you do with the brain?!

can you pick the "good eatin" perk without playing the DLC mission? I started a new hardcore run and will focus on the main questline first...

Quikies83

Anyone having issues with the test facility tests (basic/advanced) in x-8 not showing as completed? I'm now going through these tests for a 3rd time! Has to be a glitch..

Drazgul

cleveridea said:
can you pick the "good eatin" perk without playing the DLC mission? I started a new hardcore run and will focus on the main questline first...

Sure, you need to fulfill the requirements (lvl 20, Survival 55) tho, so it won't do you any good early on. By the time you reach lvl 20 you should have enough food to feed an army.

duckroll

I've spent well over 10 hours on this DLC now. Still not done exploring all the areas, but I've completed all the quests leaving the endgame one now. Chris Avellone rocks. :D

Quikies83 said:
Anyone having issues with the test facility tests (basic/advanced) in x-8 not showing as completed? I'm now going through these tests for a 3rd time! Has to be a glitch..

You can redo the tests even after completing them. I'm not sure what exact problem you're encountering, but...

After you complete the first Basic test, you can then trigger either the Residential test or the Advanced test. You can also redo the Basic test. After beating the Advanced test you can also redo it at any time. Later on if you return to X-8 with the kernel key, you can release the "unusual specimens" into the test area and do the Basic and Advanced tests again in these new conditions. If you do that, you get an optional reward.

Quikies83

duckroll said:
You can redo the tests even after completing them. I'm not sure what exact problem you're encountering, but...

After you complete the first Basic test, you can then trigger either the Residential test or the Advanced test. You can also redo the Basic test. After beating the Advanced test you can also redo it at any time. Later on if you return to X-8 with the kernel key, you can release the "unusual specimens" into the test area and do the Basic and Advanced tests again in these new conditions. If you do that, you get an optional reward.

I completed the test before without the kennel key -- Once I had the key AND the complete stealth suite, the quest popped up saying I needed to complete the tests again... So I went in and found all the school records again, released the specimens - then saved and quit. Guess I'll go through them once more
-- I'd better get something really, really nice out of this!

And it's pretty hilarious that this suite is making me a med-x junkie.

-BLITZ-

Oh yes, I know to what you refer and is a bug at the moment. After you
choosed Unusual Specimens option, do not continue choose Release Cyberdog option. It seems that the marker doesn't move to the Monitor Test Chamber. Luckly for the simple hints they wrote in quest, you can understand that you just need to go to the Monitor Test Chamber to start Basic Routine Test. Choosing Release Cyberdog option will make the list-quest "Unusual Specimen" to be complete and the marker still remain at Kennel Monitor with the quest unfinished.
After finishing the Basic Test, go only to Monitor Test Chamber and choose Advanced Test, then the quest is done.

Quikies83

-BLITZ- said:
choosed Unusual Specimens option, do not continue choose Release Cyberdog option. It seems that the marker doesn't move to the Monitor Test Chamber. Luckly for the simple hints they wrote in quest, you can understand that you just need to go to the Monitor Test Chamber to start Basic Routine Test. Choosing Release Cyberdog option will make the list-quest "Unusual Specimen" to be complete and the marker still remain at Kennel Monitor with the quest unfinished.
After finishing the Basic Test, go only to Monitor Test Chamber and choose Advanced Test, then the quest is done.

I'll give this a shot tonight. Thank a lot guys.

duckroll

-BLITZ- said:

Ah I see. Sounds like there's some logic bug in how the quest script handles the situations if you do something it doesn't expect. Oh well. :/

-BLITZ- said:
This is what happened to me, too.

duckroll

I finally beat the DLC. It was really, really good. Definitely the longest and most content packed DLC yet. Took me about 11-13 hours to complete, and I didn't even discover all the locations yet. This is also the most meaningful DLC in terms of actually adding a major gameplay expansion element into the main game, since you can return to the Big Empty and use the Sink as your home base and continue to use all the benefits of the various appliances.

With such an ambitious scale, it is not surprising that this is also the buggiest DLC yet. I got a TON of CTDs throughout the DLC, sometimes multiple ones in succession as I restart NV over and over. The performance of the game in some areas are also suspect, with the framerate dropping rapidly at some places. Worst of all, I actually ran into an infinite loop bug in a major story conversation near the end of the DLC. It just kept looping two lines over and over until I loaded a previous save. It's a script bug too, so it will always be there if you select that dialogue option. >_<

I know that JE Sawyer said that DLCs can't be patched, but I hope they either do something about this, or someone creates a hotfix mod which fixes the problem. :/

The ending slides for OWB is possibly as long or longer than the ending slides for the main game. That's pretty crazy considering how the entire DLC is basically made for fans of lulz. I never expected them to put this much effort into the entire scope and implementation of the DLC, but I'm glad they did.

duckroll said:
I finally beat the DLC. It was really, really good. Definitely the longest and most content packed DLC yet. Took me about 11-13 hours to complete, and I didn't even discover all the locations yet. This is also the most meaningful DLC in terms of actually adding a major gameplay expansion element into the main game, since you can return to the Big Empty and use the Sink as your home base and continue to use all the benefits of the various appliances.

With such an ambitious scale, it is not surprising that this is also the buggiest DLC yet. I got a TON of CTDs throughout the DLC, sometimes multiple ones in succession as I restart NV over and over. The performance of the game in some areas are also suspect, with the framerate dropping rapidly at some places. Worst of all, I actually ran into an infinite loop bug in a major story conversation near the end of the DLC. It just kept looping two lines over and over until I loaded a previous save. It's a script bug too, so it will always be there if you select that dialogue option. >_<

I know that JE Sawyer said that DLCs can't be patched, but I hope they either do something about this, or someone creates a hotfix mod which fixes the problem. :/

The ending slides for OWB is possibly as long or longer than the ending slides for the main game. That's pretty crazy considering how the entire DLC is basically made for fans of lulz. I never expected them to put this much effort into the entire scope and implementation of the DLC, but I'm glad they did.
I haven't beat it yet, I still have the x-8 trials to do and I need to go to the Forbidden dome and see what is up with Mobius. I have explored every location though, good ol explorer perk. Some really interesting spots including
Ulysses Point and Elijah's Hideout and Little Yangtse

Like you, I have had more technical issues than with the main game, or the other DLC's. Mutiple CTD's, infinite loop loading screens, npcs stuck in geometry. I am willing to over look them, just because of the sheer quality of the DLC. I love how it connects with the others, mainly Dead Money and the upcoming Lonesome Road.

Now speaking of Lonesome Road, I need to do some Ulysses speculation here and see what you all think. I will put it in spoilers though, just to not ruin anybody. Mainly concerns what you find in Old World Blues though.

Ok, Ulysses and Elijah were at Big MT at the same time. Elijah scrounging bomb collars and other tech. Elijah apparently finds out about the Sierra Madre from Ulysses, which is interesting. Hell the whole backstory you learn of the Madre, in OWB is amazing.

Anyways. Ulysses and what he was looking for. First off, He talked with Dr. Klein and got info out of him, that the Dr. doesn't remember. Also, he was mainly in the Meteorolgical station, possibly looking for weather manipulation tech. This would make sense as the lonely road, leads to the Great Divide, which is supposedly a huge storm right? Is Ulysses trying to harness the power of this storm? If so, for what end? He is going out of his way to avoid the courier, why? Also, in lots of the labs in OWB, the doors to the labs have the Old World Flag on it, is this a sign from Ulysses that he was there? Just what in the hell is this guy up to?

About Christine
Was she lobotomized? Or just experimented on?

Trick_GSF

Banned
I loved the DLC, it was fantastic. My first worry going in was length, after Zion I was convinced I'd be there 3 or so hours. Thankfully, 12 hours later I finished the main story, and still have places to explore.

The new enemies are cool.
The suits.. Suits filled with those long dead. Creepy..

All the characters were great, loved the long, lore-rich dialogs.
Pleasure a female Think Tank, acquire drained energy weapon ammo. Fuck yeah.
Muggy was infinitely adorable. Loved the fact all the appliances were useful.

Lucky for me, I had no problems in regards to performance. It crashed twice, but this is to be expected playing NV, (playing on PS3, here), Little slow down from time to time. Super. All in all, probably the strongest DLC thus far.

Lonesome Road, and Ulysses, await.

duckroll

Regarding Ulysses:

If you haven't beaten the DLC, you're missing a pretty vital part of the puzzle. If you spend time talking to Dr Mobius, you can actually find out what Ulysses and Dr Klein talked about. I won't spoil it for you.

But that aside, there are a few things I think I need to clarify. He is not going out of his way to avoid the Courier. In fact, he's trying to lure the Courier to him. Why? We won't find out until Lonesome Road. But based on what Avellone has been saying about the character and the nature of Lonesome Road, I think it is pretty likely that the final DLC will be one where the player gets to craft the past history of the Courier through a series of long conversations and possibly flashback events, and the relationship between Ulysses and the Courier will depend on how the player decides to create the Courier's past.

duckroll said:
Regarding Ulysses:

If you haven't beaten the DLC, you're missing a pretty vital part of the puzzle. If you spend time talking to Dr Mobius, you can actually find out what Ulysses and Dr Klein talked about. I won't spoil it for you.

But that aside, there are a few things I think I need to clarify. He is not going out of his way to avoid the Courier. In fact, he's trying to lure the Courier to him. Why? We won't find out until Lonesome Road. But based on what Avellone has been saying about the character and the nature of Lonesome Road, I think it is pretty likely that the final DLC will be one where the player gets to craft the past history of the Courier through a series of long conversations and possibly flashback events, and the relationship between Ulysses and the Courier will depend on how the player decides to create the Courier's past.
Yeah, looks like I need to finish up this DLC and get a better idea of what this guy is up to. Going to make the wait for Lonesome Road even harder.

OWB though, will be essential to play through first in my next runs through the game. Being able to get The Sink and all it offers, is just too good.

Just finished it. I think I got pretty much the "best" ending there is: everything's radioactive sunshine and atomic roses.

Really loved how the ending narration ended:
"The road the Courier must walk alone." The Jukebox was also talking about a "Lonesome Road", can't wait for the final piece of DLC.

duckroll said:
Regarding Ulysses:

I somehow completely missed this. I'll probably kick up an old save and replay the conversation.

-BLITZ-

My spoilers doesn't anything fancy, yet I didn't know in which way to post them correctly. Only the last part about the trails do contain spoilers and features of DLC.

Starting to play at the second playthrough as restarting the DLC again. Exactly when you start the DLC and exist from the Sink and go right and keep moving until you meet a Y-17 Trauma around some fences and radio antenna, I got from him
a Tesla Cannon, lucky I shoot him from distance with my Anti-Rifle, could be the worst. I noticed Y-17 has diversity of strong and rare weapons. I meet K9000, Gauss rifle, Tri-beam Laser, Gatling laser and Heavy Incinerator.

This is great; is much better to have them for free from the ground instead of buying them being so expensive where all of them the Sink doesn't have them. This so useful for any player with even a low level skills.

For 2th playthrough I'm packed now seriously.

- 45. Auto Pistol/Silenced
- 45. Machine Gun
- Light Shining in Darkness
- Assault Carbine
- Survivalist's Rifle
- Anti-Materiel Rifle
- Hunting Shotgun
- Hunting Rifle
- Pulse Gun
- Compliance Regulator
- Pew, Pew
- Sonic Emitter
- This Machine
- K9000 Cyberdog

150ammo for each type of bullet and weapon = total of 250killos.

I haven't used Sonic Emitter so much because of the short range. Pulse Gun works much better and somehow suppose to be vice-versa where even, but I'm glad about PulseGun is doing such a good job since you don't meet so many robots in New Vegas. I will add that Compliance R. is more faster and paralyse them so quick, no need for any unarmed skills anymore.

And the one single new special trait from all the others new traits of Old Blues is just pure marvellous. Having the
weight of 325killos is amazing, especially when I grab so much from any corner of Old Blues. I always wanted that them to add more weight to the player since we have a lot of unique weapons and clothes ... and you can take the trait so soon at the beginning of this DLC, perfectly for the new work. Even it takes you -1 from every special skills I never manage to go below 160killos, always getting full at some point of some few minutes
:D

And everything I finished any DLC, even is from Fallout 3 or New Vegas, I always don't want to go back into the main territory, I always wanted to remain for a few more hours into the DLC, because you, I mean I feeling so satisfied of I did and what the DLC contains, to the characters that still left alive, to the ambiance, atmosphere and landscapes, but I don't have anything else left to do. Why, why every time, this happens. :(

Tanolen

Sober said:
They should've named the DLC "Lifetime supply of Mentats"

good god, so many MENTATS

That one house had like 50 inside it.

Also, this has been the least buggy New Vegas thing for me. Zero crashes, but I have been getting the VATS hangs up and you get beaten to death error alot, which I never got before.

Ledsen

duckroll said:

Er, why wouldn't they be able to patch dlc? Just replace the esp or add a patch esp, mods have been doing it since morrowind. Sounds fishy.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Should I wait to play this until after I've played the other two DLCs, or does it even matter? For reference, in the main game I
just killed Mr. House

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Hahaha, in Higgs Village,
a mini-deathclaw? Named Stripe? Gremlins reference?
That is fucking awesome.

This is easily the best DLC yet, even though I'm having a lot of CTD issues while trying to fast travel. I also can't play the game through the launcher anymore, I have to go into my Steam folder and launch the regular .exe that way. Lame.

duckroll

Ledsen said:
Er, why wouldn't they be able to patch dlc? Just replace the esp or add a patch esp, mods have been doing it since morrowind. Sounds fishy.

I'm pretty sure this has to do with how PSN and XBL work in terms of patching. DLCs are separate downloads on their own and not considered actual launching titles. Hence they cannot be patched with title updates. The only option would be to completely replace the DLC file on the backend, and ask all customers affected to delete their DLC and download it again.

It is not a case of a patch being technically impossible to implement, but rather that the publishing policies prevent them from doing it in anything but the most extreme of cases.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Someone help me with
crafting FIDO. Apparently the schematic is in X-8, but I need a key from X-13? Yet I can't find anything in there and I was rummaging around for quite awhile. I just want my upgraded doggy gun, yo.

-BLITZ-

Exactly when you enter in X-13,
turn to right and use the Emitter to turn off the force field. Inside under a desk you will find a suitcase with the key in it.
Look at the marker on the map.

BeeDog

I'm going to start the DLC any day now, but before starting up, I wanted to make sure; are there any missable DLC-exclusive items/weapons I should actively search for?

duckroll

BeeDog said:
I'm going to start the DLC any day now, but before starting up, I wanted to make sure; are there any missable DLC-exclusive items/weapons I should actively search for?

There is nothing you can specifically miss for good, since the DLC location is one which you can return to even after completing it. But there is a ton of optional content in the DLC which has to be actively explored, yes. There is a lot of exclusive loot, and also other surprises waiting to be discovered.

BeeDog

Great, thanks. I love creating "master save files" where I have all items found, so I would be bummed if I missed anything here.

duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure this has to do with how PSN and XBL work in terms of patching. DLCs are separate downloads on their own and not considered actual launching titles. Hence they cannot be patched with title updates. The only option would be to completely replace the DLC file on the backend, and ask all customers affected to delete their DLC and download it again.

It is not a case of a patch being technically impossible to implement, but rather that the publishing policies prevent them from doing it in anything but the most extreme of cases.

Oh wow, I'd never heard that about not being able to patch DLC before. :/ Hmm. Dead Money was good, but both Honest Hearts and Old World Blues were buggy as shit for me. I hope Lonesome Road runs better.

Darkshier said:
I haven't beat it yet, I still have the x-8 trials to do and I need to go to the Forbidden dome and see what is up with Mobius. I have explored every location though, good ol explorer perk.

Wait, how does this work? Do you have to take the explorer perk while playing Old World Blues? I have the explorer perk, but I still had to find all the locations myself.

EDIT: I'm sure it was obvious to most people but I liked the
Futurama reference when talking to Dr. Mobius.

Does this DLC work with mods?

The notable ones I have installed are:

Depth of Field
Ojo/Poco texture packs
Weapon Retexture Project
a mod to expand weapon mods
Black Company Perks
Project Nevada
Streetlight mod

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. I know project nevada had to have patches for the other two DLCs.

This DLC looks so fun, I really want to play it. If I have to wait for mod updates, that is fine. I'm enjoying my second playthrough with Boone/the hover robot companions. It is like playing for the first time now that I can max the game out graphically. First playthru was like Fallout San Francisco or something... no draw distance at all on the old PC.

I had some mods installed and it worked fine for a while. I ended up unticking them anyways though just out of precaution. I had fewer and less crazy mods though. I can't imagine any of them would work with OWB unless they are "general" mods for assets in the base game.

zkylon

zkylewd
nismogrendel said:
Does this DLC work with mods?

The notable ones I have installed are:

Depth of Field
Ojo/Poco texture packs
Weapon Retexture Project
a mod to expand weapon mods
Black Company Perks
Project Nevada
Streetlight mod

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. I know project nevada had to have patches for the other two DLCs.

This DLC looks so fun, I really want to play it. If I have to wait for mod updates, that is fine. I'm enjoying my second playthrough with Boone/the hover robot companions. It is like playing for the first time now that I can max the game out graphically. First playthru was like Fallout San Francisco or something... no draw distance at all on the old PC.
I think that:

Depth of Field will work
Ojo/Poco texture packs will work on non-DLC stuff
Weapon Retexture Project will work on non-DLC stuff
a mod to expand weapon mods will work on non-DLC stuff
Black Company Perks i dunno what's this, but probably will still work
Project Nevada will work
Streetlight mod will work on non-DLC stuff

I think it's worth waiting the mods to add content to OWB, but i doubt the game will crash for you. I've used most of those mods with DM and HH, but then you never know. This is Obsidian we're talking about after all...

Tanolen

I'm disappointed that OWB didnt really give me any loot worth really using. Nothing better than t-51b power armor(Which I use because remant power armor barely has any item health) or the holorifle, the perks were nice though.

Tanolen said:
I'm disappointed that OWB didnt really give me any loot worth really using. Nothing better than t-51b power armor(Which I use because remant power armor barely has any item health) or the holorifle, the perks were nice though.

They wanted to put power armor in it but weren't allowed, so we got some crappy stealth suit.

SoCoRoBo

Aside from the general excellence of the DLCs so far, I think one of their best achievements is the feeling you get when, after watching the ending slides of each, you have to return to the Mojave.

In Dead Money, coming out of the abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker into that little gully between Fort Nelson and Camp Forlorn Hope, it was a real feeling of being released from captivity.

Returning from Zion everything in the Mojave felt needlessly busy with pointless things and the NCR-Legion conflict over a concrete wall in the middle of a river seemed absurd.

And Old World Blues, after exploring the 'World of Tomorrow' setting for over 10 hours, just seeing all the world-improving stuff they were working at in Big MT. I had a Proton axe on my back, a talking, hyperintelligent suit and waiting back in my base in the Sink was a machine which could reduce plant matter to the most basic goop of life and then re-construct it into anything I asked it to. When I walked into Primm and Ruby Nash offered to make me casserole out of a Radscorpion venom sac, the contrast was pretty jarring.

It really stands as a testament to the atmosphere created in each DLC, and I really like the direction Obsidian has been taking with each, using the opportunity for 7-8 hours new content to riff on different genres and make the overall game a lot more interesting and varied as a result.

It makes me wonder what direction they'll go with Lonesome Road. After the credits were updated with the voice casts in the last patch, we know there's only 5 or 6 characters in the entirety of Lonesome Road and names like 'The Father' and 'The Son' makes me think that there's going to be a homage to Cormac McCarthy's The Road. I hope it's really sparing and character-driven, kind of like a parable.

It's be interesting to know how they're going to deal with the Courier having wronged Ulysses, whether we get to play a flashback as the Courier with our skills reverted to how we chose them back in Goodsprings and create the backstory(I imagine you'd be forced to make a Catch-22 type choice and Ulysses will bear the grudge no matter what) or whether it's set in stone already. I can't imagine they'll make it too definite so as not to ruin the carefully constructed backstories we all definitely have for our couriers, so it'd have to be deliberately vague.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Lionheart1337 said:
They wanted to put power armor in it but weren't allowed, so we got some crappy stealth suit.
Who cares if its power armor like how its been in FO3/NV? Mods like Powered Power Armor make power armor like piloting a Mech/Glitterboy.

-BLITZ-

I was playing with myself-character when I blow him up from The Sink balcony and I end up on some
Follower of The Apocalypse dead guy
:O So I started to walk around the The Sink to find out a way of how to get there since it was somewhere very high and I really manage to get there after some time. Made a tutorial of how to get to him. If I wasn't doing some funny things to my character I think if wouldn't find out about this fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYJkp-jyAA

His loot:
* Doctors Bag
* Followers Doctor Coat - Science +5
* Stimpaks - x3
* Super Stimpak

Trick_GSF

Banned
-BLITZ- said:
I was playing with myself-character when I blow him up from The Sink balcony and I end up on some
Follower of The Apocalypse dead guy
:O So I started to walk around the The Sink to find out a way of how to get there since it was somewhere very high and I really manage to get there after some time. Made a tutorial of how to get to him. If I wasn't doing some funny things to my character I think if wouldn't find out about this fella.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoYJkp-jyAA

His loot:
* Doctors Bag
* Followers Doctor Coat - Science +5
* Stimpaks - x3
* Super Stimpak

Haha, what a strange place for him to show up. Nice catch.

BeeDog

Just started the DLC, and the first impression is good. It's hard as fuck though, what's up with the enemy spawns? I get swarmed by 3-4 lobotomites that completely shred me with their Hunting Revolvers and/or Brush Guns, or it's Nightstalkers that gang up on me in groups of 3-4. When I kill the lobotomites (around the Think Tank), walk 50 feet and turn around, there they are again, respawned! Talk about draining.

duckroll

BeeDog said:
Just started the DLC, and the first impression is good. It's hard as fuck though, what's up with the enemy spawns? I get swarmed by 3-4 lobotomites that completely shred me with their Hunting Revolvers and/or Brush Guns, or it's Nightstalkers that gang up on me in groups of 3-4. When I kill the lobotomites (around the Think Tank), walk 50 feet and turn around, there they are again, respawned! Talk about draining.

I was having quite a bit of difficulty with the enemies initially too. I just ended up evading them with stealth early on. It helps to either bring really good weapons into the DLC, or to eventually find better weapons in the DLC itself and use that against the enemies (this is more fun imo). There are some really kickass weapons you can find in the DLC. For gun users there's the best sniper rifle in the entire game, for energy users there's really good stuff too (the best fully upgraded one is better than the Holorifle). For melee users the Proton Axe is really, really good. Even better when you get the special named one.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Lionheart1337 said:
Wait, who said they couldn't?

Does Bethesda have some weird rule they put forth for New Vegas about that for Obsidian?

It would explain why the trademark armor of the game is a unique form of enhanced combat armor for the first time instead of genuine power armor.

so the suit is supposed to inject med-x as well? I have plenty of that, but it seems to just eat my stimpaks and never touch the med-x.

also
x-2 antenna FTW

Mad_Ban

Absolutely loved this DLC. Really embraced the atmosphere of the original Fallouts for me, and I prefer Obsidians vision as opposed to Bethesda's "This is serious!" approach.

The opening dialogue was something to behold. :p

duckroll

Dr. Chaos said:
Wait, who said they couldn't?

Does Bethesda have some weird rule they put forth for New Vegas about that for Obsidian?

It would explain why the trademark armor of the game is a unique form of enhanced combat armor for the first time instead of genuine power armor.

http://twitter.com/#!/ChrisAvellone/status/93842785857310720

duckroll

water_wendi said:
Wow wtf? What could possibly be the reason Bethesda would order Obsidian to not put in new power armor?

Yeah I don't know what to think either. I think the Stealth Suit is pretty cool honestly, but knowing that they tried to introduce PA variants and were denied is just... weird.

duckroll said:
Yeah I don't know what to think either. I think the Stealth Suit is pretty cool honestly, but knowing that they tried to introduce PA variants and were denied is just... weird.

I was disappointed the stealth suit didn't have any glowing blue neon strips on it. Like the
Radii
headband and
Proton Axe

I also encountered the
brain
glitch. Forced me to follow a different dialogue path to get my
brain
back.

It was such a Dick!

Top Bottom