• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

pyros

Visualante said:
I've purchased Fallout New Vegas but I'm still not able to view the store page because last week I accidentally put my date of birth in as 1998

try erasing your cookies

Cheech

Stallion Free said:
Then you should still get the PC version because with your current specs you can match the 360 visuals and when you upgrade they will only improve. 360 visuals will never improve.

With Dead Rising 2 this approach makes sense, because it's one of those games I will break out and play from time to time. Also, I'm not going to actually buy it until around the time I build the PC.

By the time I bite on a gaming PC this Christmas, though? I will be long through with Fallout NV. Sure, I will get any decent DLC, but it's not worth moving my laptop around the house and messing with cables and shit every time I want to play for the next 4-5 weeks.

I'm looking forward to buying my multiplats on PC next year, though. The difference in graphics is getting pretty huge, especially since I game on a 1080p projector on a 106" screen.

itxaka

Defeatist
Stallion Free said:
Then you should still get the PC version because with your current specs you can match the 360 visuals and when you upgrade they will only improve. 360 visuals will never improve.

And don't forget mods. Rebalance, misions, guns, objects, difficult tunning, etc...

That is one big thing for me.

Dat ram

~Kinggi~

Banned
I always want to get the pc version of something but i never end up playing it. I buy a bunch of stuff on steam for cheap and i buy some retail games. I bought Fallout 3 on pc at launch. Turns out though i never play the damn things. I dont have the opportunity to re-route my pc to my living room tv, so these days i9 end up just getting games for the 360 or ps3. I actually finish those games. Just enjoy them more on that setup.

pyros

itxaka said:
And don't forget mods. Rebalance, misions, guns, objects, difficult tunning, etc...

That is one big thing for me.

playing fo3 on the ps3 and then on the pc was like night and day for me, especially with some mods, my favourite for the aesthetics was the streetlight mod

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
pyros said:
playing fo3 on the ps3 and then on the pc was like night and day for me, especially with some mods, my favourite for the ascetics was the streetlight mod
Well at least with NV installing Fellout isnt required. That damn green tint.. ugh.

graywolf323

EviLore said:

damn EviLore I thought my laptop was impressive until now :lol (admittedly I always knew desktops would have better specs but I need the portability as a college student)

here's my baby

Gateway P-7805u FX Running Windows 7 Ultimate

Intel Core 2 Duo T9900 (6M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1333 (4GB x 2) | Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS 1GB DDR-3 | 17" WUXGA 1920x1200 | 1x Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200 rpm & 1x Western Digital Scorpio Blue 640GB 5400 rpm

Medusa NX USB 5.1 Gaming Headset
Razer Orochi mouse
Wired 360 Controller (don't use it that much but for some games it's useful especially when I use the HDMI out to my 32" LCD 720p HDTV)
oh and I have a Western Digital My Passport 500GB external hard drive

Cheech

pyros said:
playing fo3 on the ps3 and then on the pc was like night and day for me, especially with some mods, my favourite for the ascetics was the streetlight mod

It was shocking to me how bad the PS3 version of FO3 was. I didn't own it myself, but I did play somebody else's copy. It was pretty tragic. The 360 version was substantially better.

Maybe I need to go fish up some vanilla FO3 PC vs. 360 screenshots. There is a net $3 difference if I stick with my FO:NV 360 copy over buying it on Steam, so just maaaaybe....

Cheech

graywolf323 said:
Razer Orochi mouse

I bought one of these to use with my m11x. I used it while I was off on vacation for a week, and when I came back to work, my Intellimouse Optical felt like I was using a cinder block. I ordered a Deathadder 3500dpi for work (and no, it's never been used for gaming! Honest! :lol ).

Razer stuff is a touch overpriced, but man, I have no complaints. I bought a Moray+ when it was an Amazon Gold Box deal a week ago, and they are pretty sweet gaming earphones/mic. Love the fact their stuff comes with nice cases too.

~Kinggi~ said:
I always want to get the pc version of something but i never end up playing it. I buy a bunch of stuff on steam for cheap and i buy some retail games. I bought Fallout 3 on pc at launch. Turns out though i never play the damn things. I dont have the opportunity to re-route my pc to my living room tv, so these days i9 end up just getting games for the 360 or ps3. I actually finish those games. Just enjoy them more on that setup.

Freudian slip? :lol

graywolf323

Cheech said:
I bought one of these to use with my m11x. I used it while I was off on vacation for a week, and when I came back to work, my Intellimouse Optical felt like I was using a cinder block. I ordered a Deathadder 3500dpi for work (and no, it's never been used for gaming! Honest! :lol ).

Razer stuff is a touch overpriced, but man, I have no complaints. I bought a Moray+ when it was an Amazon Gold Box deal a week ago, and they are pretty sweet gaming earphones/mic. Love the fact their stuff comes with nice cases too.

I especially love it since I can use it either wired with the cable it comes with or if that's not convenient just turn on the bluetooth so no dongle taking up a usb port :D

it was a bit expensive, but I got it with Christmas money for $70 and I feel like it was worth it for sure

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
dygiT said:
122/414 games played gg

Not actually true, gg

I've played around 70-80% of them. The rest constitute my backlog along with games I have no interest in that I got as part of package deals.

Hint: steam has not always tracked time played, and plenty of purchases have been to make up for piracy committed as a poor youth.

EviLore said:
k

I have a mirrored desk + home theater setup using one PC. HDMI from 5870 to home theater receiver for video/audio there, dvi from 5870 to desktop monitor.

PC:
-Core i7 @ 3.6-4.0ghz
-Radeon 5870
-12GB DDR3
-9TB hdd space + intel x-25m SSD for OS/apps

Desk:
-1080p monitor
-sennheiser pc 350 headset
-trackir pro 5
-intellimouse optical (I'm left-handed) and logitech illuminated ultrathin keyboard
-comfy office chair

Home theater:
-1080p HDTV
-5.1 surround sound
-second set of intellimouse optical and logitech illuminated ultrathin keyboard using usb extension cords
-wireless xbox 360 controller for windows
-SF4 TE stick
-various dual shock solutions
-comfy recliner

These games all installed, a double click away: http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilore/games?tab=all

Dust on my consoles.

I weep knowing that right now I can only play games on my 360. Fried video card makes for a sad disappeared.

I envy your setup good sir.

Ledsen

kittoo said:
I am not hating but I dont understand. Is there something stopping you to play it on PC directly without modding? Wont it be fine too, just like 360 version (and $10 cheaper)?

First of all I got the console version using a special trade-in offer at Gamestop. Second, my Samsung TV (40" LCD) won't display my computers video output in full screen in any resolution other than 1366x768 over HDMI, and even that doesn't work sometimes. It's pretty weird but it means that any PC games I play on my TV won't have much higher resolution than the consoles, which would be one of the main advantages. So people saying "you can easily do the comfy couch thing with your PC" aren't always right, for me it's a huge hassle and doesn't even work properly :/

disappeared said:
I couldn't imagine having to play a game like this under the gun in order to meet a deadline. Hopefully Obsidian sent review copies out early enough.

They didn't. Retail has been in reviewers hands for three days or so now.

Vinterbird said:
They didn't. Retail has been in reviewers hands for three days or so now.

There's no way they've had only three days to try it so far. I mean, really? Surely they've had review code for a few weeks.

You just can't review a game this big over a weekend. :lol

Cheech said:
It was shocking to me how bad the PS3 version of FO3 was. I didn't own it myself, but I did play somebody else's copy. It was pretty tragic. The 360 version was substantially better.

Maybe I need to go fish up some vanilla FO3 PC vs. 360 screenshots. There is a net $3 difference if I stick with my FO:NV 360 copy over buying it on Steam, so just maaaaybe....
There was nothing tragic about the PS3 version of FO3. You're being over dramatic.
It both looked and ran fine.

duckroll

disappeared said:
There's no way they've had only three days to try it so far. I mean, really? Surely they've had review code for a few weeks.

You just can't review a game this big over a weekend. :lol

From what I've heard, reviewers did indeed only just get the retail code for review purposes.

blindrocket said:
There was nothing tragic about the PS3 version of FO3. You're being over dramatic.
It both looked and ran fine.

Agree, completed FO3 and all the DLC's on PS3, had a few crashes in the DLC's but it was accepted that it was going to happen, other than that it played like a dream from my experience.

duckroll said:
From what I've heard, reviewers did indeed only just get the retail code for review purposes.

vbfacepalm.jpg

Massa

duckroll said:

Ah yes, this is what Kevin VanOrd of Gamespot posted on Twitter on Oct 14th:

Ironic quote of the day: "Since our games do take a while to play, we wanted you to have adequate time...

He reviewed Fallout 3 and he's been playing New Vegas so it's 99% likely he was talking about Fallout there.

So basically reviewers aren't going to get through the whole game by release day and even if they do release their review they probably won't have played the end half of the game, which could be a big pile of steaming offings?

Hopefully won't be the case but they aren't really trying to instill much faith are they?

kyo_daikun said:
So basically reviewers aren't going to get through the whole game by release day and even if they do release their review they probably won't have played the end half of the game, which could be a big pile of steaming offings?

Hopefully won't be the case but they aren't really trying to instill much faith are they?

It's not even about whether or not the game is good(that's ultimately up to us to decide if we like it or not). It's a matter of giving a reviewer - whose job it is to review a game thoroughly - enough time to experience the world. Reviews mean nothing to me personally, but for those who want a competent review, it's weird to give out the game so late.

disappeared said:
It's not even about whether or not the game is good(that's ultimately up to us to decide if we like it or not). It's a matter of giving a reviewer - whose job it is to review a game thoroughly - enough time to experience the world. Reviews mean nothing to me personally, but for those who want a competent review, it's weird to give out the game so late.

Yeah I see what you mean, to be honest even if every review gave it 5/10 I would still get it, FO3 was one of my favourite games this gen and I wouldn't miss out on this for the world.

kyo_daikun said:
Yeah I see what you mean, to be honest even if every review gave it 5/10 I would still get it, FO3 was one of my favourite games this gen and I wouldn't miss out on this for the world.

Oh absolutely. Pretty much the moment they announced New Vegas I knew it was going to be something special.

EviLore said:
Not actually true, gg

I've played around 70-80% of them. The rest constitute my backlog along with games I have no interest in that I got as part of package deals.

Hint: steam has not always tracked time played, and plenty of purchases have been to make up for piracy committed as a poor youth.

you dont play games evilore, stop lying!

disappeared said:
Oh absolutely. Pretty much the moment they announced New Vegas I knew it was going to be something special.

The first time I saw that picture of the super mutant in drag with the lipstick on I knew this game was SPECIAL :lol

this is one of them games I blind-buy without even thinking about reviews. i don't need no half assed two pages shit from IGN to tell me what I should appreciate about Fallout

Anasui Kishibe said:
this is one of them games I blind-buy without even thinking about reviews. i don't need no half assed two pages shit from IGN to tell me what I should appreciate about Fallout

You're forgetting the Dude Bros.! They need their scores and point-fives like nobody's business.

Anasui Kishibe said:

I reckon IGN will slag it off, a lot of their reviews recently have been pretty negative (even about games which other reviewers have praised to hell and back, guessing just for press?)

As long as I can run into a town and start firing a mini-gun and causing mayhem I will be happy.

Davedough

Played my review copy for a long stint last night and hit a pretty large bug. There's a story event thats unavoidable pretty quickly into the game that when the dialog came up, the game froze completely and I had to shut down. It was really late so I didn't try to load it up again, but hoping stuff like this gets patched pretty quickly.

Gravijah

Davedough said:
Played my review copy for a long stint last night and hit a pretty large bug. There's a story event thats unavoidable pretty quickly into the game that when the dialog came up, the game froze completely and I had to shut down. It was really late so I didn't try to load it up again, but hoping stuff like this gets patched pretty quickly.

What version?

sdornan said:
Because people who make informed purchasing decisions are stupid...

Informed purchasing decisions have little to do with reviews. ;p

sdornan said:
Because people who make informed purchasing decisions are stupid...

Perhaps I spoke out of turn. But it's never clicked with me letting other people dictate whether or not I should play a game. Had I followed reviews, I never would have played Deadly Premonition on 360, for example. Brilliant game that was panned at nearly every corner. It's fine if you use them as a guideline, but not as the rule.

Are bobbleheads still present?

I saw there was a new collection item by looking at the trophy list but don't know if they are replacing them..
Snowglobes

disappeared said:
Perhaps I spoke out of turn. But it's never clicked with me letting other people dictate whether or not I should play a game. Had I followed reviews, I never would have played Deadly Premonition on 360, for example. Brilliant game that was panned at nearly every corner. It's fine if you use them as a guideline, but not as the rule.

I personally look at a few videos before I buy a game, I know what I like and can normally tell just from some footage whether a game is going to click with me, reviews can be interesting reads of what gripes other people had with a game but they are never gospel.

Top Bottom