• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

kyo_daikun said:
Are bobbleheads still present?

I saw there was a new collection item by looking at the trophy list but don't know if they are replacing them..
Snowglobes

I just hope they don't do fuck all for skills/SPECIAL. If you grinded all of those bobbleheads (plus the skill books) the game was nearly broken by the end.

Lakitu

st5fu
Have we got a picture of the world map yet and how it compares to Fallout 3?

NM: Just saw it. Looks packed, but definitely isn't anywhere as big as Fallout 3. Doesn't matter though.

Mad_Ban

PS3 version of FO3 was "alright" pre-Broken Steel. It was stable and ran pretty well most of the time (fps wise). After BS the framerate seemed to be stuck at 20 and it would crash most of the time for me.

bonesmccoy said:
!!! Doubts erased - at least about the aesthetics.

Ah thanks for clearing that bobblehead thing up, can't wait to see them ingame, so the graphics are better than expected then? Good to hear.

Lakitu said:

NM: Just saw it. Looks packed, but definitely isn't anywhere as big as Fallout 3. Doesn't matter though.

The Dev interviews have said that its bigger than FO3, from what I have seen there seems to be a lot more to do in New vegas at the very least even if its not bigger size wise.

Wiggum2007

disappeared said:
I just hope they don't do fuck all for skills/SPECIAL. If you grinded all of those bobbleheads (plus the skill books) the game was nearly broken by the end.

According to the Fallout wiki they don't give you any skill/SPECIAL boost, they can simply be displayed in your home or sold for a good chunk of dough.
Lakitu said:

Pretty sure they've said multiple times it's at least as big as the Capital Wasteland. How would you be able to tell that its smaller just from looking at the map?

duckroll

disappeared said:

They don't do anything. You can either collect them and put them around your house, or sell them for 20k a piece.

Wiggum2007 said:
According to the Fallout wiki they don't give you any skill/SPECIAL boost, they can simply be displayed in your home or sold for a good chunk of dough.

duckroll said:
They don't do anything. You can either collect them and put them around your house, or sell them for 20k a piece.

Awesome. It's sad that I made an OP without knowing half this stuff, but I've been on a near-blackout for this game. Hence the lack of media in the OP. :lol

Gravijah

duckroll said:

That seems like a lot. I'm assuming the economy is different this time around.

Wiggum2007 said:

I kind of liked the fact they boosted your stats, made me really happy when I found one randomly lying around, I don't fancy finding them then just selling them off for cash...

epmode

kyo_daikun said:
I kind of liked the fact they boosted your stats, made me really happy when I found one randomly lying around, I don't fancy finding them then just selling them off for cash...
A small stat boost is one thing but the bobblehead bonus was massive and really screwed with the game's balance. I appreciate a developer that actually forces you to make tough decisions with your character. Helps replay value too.

Lakitu

st5fu
Wiggum2007 said:
Pretty sure they've said multiple times it's at least as big as the Capital Wasteland. How would you be able to tell that its smaller just from looking at the map?

Yeah you're probably right, it's not that it matters anyway. I was just going by it's number of zones as opposed to Fallout 3. FO3 had 9 while this has 6 but again it was wrong of me to judge it by a map.

Dresden

I think I'll go melee-only--enjoyed doing that with the shishkabob in Fallout 3. Unarmed was nice too, with the Deathclaw gaunlet. I wonder how it'd work out with Hardcore, hopefully it's hard as fuck. :lol

I'll go, either, Melee+Repair+Sneak or Melee+Repair+Speech. I'm leaning towards the latter because it's Obsidian and they're sure to have some great speech options. Heavy-handed and maybe Loose Cannon for traits.

Kade

I finished preloading the game on Steam this morning but now it's download another 600MB of stuff.

Anyone else getting this problem (or maybe it's just files they forgot)?

Jerk

Banned
Dresden said:
I think I'll go melee-only--enjoyed doing that with the shishkabob in Fallout 3. Unarmed was nice too, with the Deathclaw gaunlet. I wonder how it'd work out with Hardcore, hopefully it's hard as fuck. :lol

I'll go, either, Melee+Repair+Sneak or Melee+Repair+Speech. I'm leaning towards the latter because it's Obsidian and they're sure to have some great speech options. Heavy-handed and maybe Loose Cannon for traits.

The thought of playing Sneak+Repair+Speech on Hardcore is giving me a raging hard-on right now...

Dennis

Banned
Hard + Hardcore mode

Focus on Charisma and Intelligence.

It has to be.

Now that the game comes with the survival aspects build in, I guess this time I won't have to wait for the mod community to fix it.

Is the old trait system back? I always liked how you could give your character a big boost in one area, but in doing so would add a rather significant weakness.

These were exploitable; I still recall the Finesse trait that would greatly increase your critical damage, but lower your chance of critical damage. Once your character had access to more improved weapons, this trait's positives far outweighed its negatives.

bhlaab

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

War works the same way.

KhEqT.jpg

Gravijah

Couple questions...

Is it still possible to get the 15 dollar off thing from Kmart?

If so, I still get the gaming coupon when I pick up the game, right?

Dresden said:

I've always had Small Guns/Energy Weapons characters - even why I try to start with a melee character I end up going the Wesley Snipes path. Gah.

I'm going to *try* to do an evil, charismatic, melee based character in NV. I'm thinking of a William Wallace type, just without the liberty loving and freedom fighting stuff.

bhlaab said:
Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

War works the same way.

KhEqT.jpg
:lol

Can't wait for Tuesday!

Though I hope the PC version of this works better than Fallout 3 did. It crashed regularly for me. Not to mention my save got fucked up on F3. As soon as I load my save, the game freezes. Certain locations always made it freeze, but now I don't have enough time to get out of the building :\

(._.)

Banned
Watched some of the videos on the stream, looks very good. First impressions:
comes off that this installment will be far more story heavy judging by the opening.

Material541 said:
Can't wait for Tuesday!

Though I hope the PC version of this works better than Fallout 3 did. It crashed regularly for me. Not to mention my save got fucked up on F3. As soon as I load my save, the game freezes. Certain locations always made it freeze, but now I don't have enough time to get out of the building :\

I have this problem too. I make a habit of making 'hard' saves at key points throughout the game - as opposed to my already habitual F5ing.

Here's hoping for a more beefy main story, akin to F2 rather than F3. You can pass through F3's story in about 3-4 hours without skipping any sections (like going straight to Rivet City).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Effect said:
Where you able to use the Xbox 360 controller with the PC version of Fallout 3? Doable with Fallout New Vegas?

Yes. Most multiplat games allow use of a 360 controller.

Lakitu

st5fu
Playing Fallout 3 in anticipation. Just roaming the capital wasteland with a finished level 30 character and killing loads of enemies :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Effect said:
Where you able to use the Xbox 360 controller with the PC version of Fallout 3? Doable with Fallout New Vegas?

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

AHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

tokkun

Getting back to the topic of "bullet sponge" enemies from earlier in the thread, I was watching the live stream, and the player set up three VATS headshots at point-blank range on a sleeping human enemy, and it only took away 2 life bars

epmode said:
A small stat boost is one thing but the bobblehead bonus was massive and really screwed with the game's balance. I appreciate a developer that actually forces you to make tough decisions with your character. Helps replay value too.

The bobbleheads weren't the worst issue with the stat balance, it was the skill books and raising of the level cap to 30 that really threw off the uniqueness of builds.

I thought the bobblehead bonuses were great, because they were one of the few things that were really worth finding late-game. One of the problems F3 had was that once you got your character up to the level cap, there was not really much to gain from exploring the remaining areas unless they had a bobblehead or a unique weapon.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
tokkun said:
Getting back to the topic of "bullet sponge" enemies from earlier in the thread, I was watching the live stream, and the player set up three VATS headshots at point-blank range on a sleeping human enemy, and it only took away 2 life bars

Augh

Dresden

EatChildren said:
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

Why not? New Vegas isn't exactly the most demanding game in terms of precision. A controller works fine.

Ledsen

EatChildren said:
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

Er, FO3 doesn't really demand a high degree of manual dexterity... it works exactly the same with a controller as with a mouse and keyboard and is A LOT more comfortable for your hands. Given a choice, I'll use a controller every time. I'm close enough to carpal tunnel as it is, no reason to worsen the odds.

Cheech

HK-47 said:
Yes. Most multiplat games allow use of a 360 controller.

Except for shitty Dead Rising 2, which is DESIGNED around a controller. I hate Capcom.

I don't see the big deal with using a controller for this game either. Then again, I use VATS most of the time.

Top Bottom