• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Wiggum2007

tokkun said:
Getting back to the topic of "bullet sponge" enemies from earlier in the thread, I was watching the live stream, and the player set up three VATS headshots at point-blank range on a sleeping human enemy, and it only took away 2 life bars

Which stream are you watching? One of the streams that was linked in here was a guy playing on the highest difficulty and with hardcore mode on.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
duckroll said:
So why is it an exception when it supports the controller?

Maybe he is talking about how DR2 doesn't properly support the wireless 360 pad on the pc? I heard that it apparently doesn't recognize the back triggers.

I dunno, he phrased his complaint kind of oddly.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
tokkun said:
Getting back to the topic of "bullet sponge" enemies from earlier in the thread, I was watching the live stream, and the player set up three VATS headshots at point-blank range on a sleeping human enemy, and it only took away 2 life bars

They really need to make Fallout 4 more "Stalker" like in regards to damage. How it is now is ridiculous. Though, I guess one of the problems comes with balance and skill points. It does sort of make sense that pure damage will be determined by how much points you have in each respective weapon skill but in a FPS like game it comes off as weird.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
duckroll said:

Do you mean the level of enemies around you relative to your level?

I'd imagine they'd keep the FO3 system where areas have level ranges. I thought it worked pretty well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
charsace said:
Since this game is steamworks can I add my fallout 3 key to steam now?

I doubt it. Fallout 3 isn't a Steamworks title unless you buy it from Steam.

Spookie

Just timed one of the loading screens while watching a stream. He's currently just outside of Vegas and it's taken 56 seconds to load the area. :lol

Game.co.uk are sending my collectors edition by courier so it will be held by them and I won't get it a day early like I normally do with games from them, bit lame as I was off for most of thursday and though I could get some time in.

charsace

EatChildren said:
I doubt it. Fallout 3 isn't a Steamworks title unless you buy it from Steam.
Goddamit. I only bought the disc version for the special edition things. Please if anyone with any pull sees this, add fallout 3 cd keys to steam.

Zeliard

Playing through NWN2 again, I forgot how much better this game is than Bethesda's latest efforts, and recent WRPGs like Dragon Age. I have faith that Obsidian's crafted something compelling here with New Vegas.

charsace

Zeliard said:
Playing through NWN2 again, I forgot how much better this game is than Bethesda's latest efforts, and recent WRPGs like Dragon Age. I have faith that Obsidian's crafted something compelling here with New Vegas.
Too bad its badly optimized.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zeliard said:

Really? Cause I recently played through NWN2 and it was horrible. The worst camera I've ever dealt with in a supposedly AAA game and truly horrible combat that felt as exciting as watching grass grow. And the story stunk until the expansions.

I hate NWN2 so much because underneath its shitty engine, I can tell there is a decent game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zeliard said:

Except for chapter 1, anyway. The 20 hour long swamp/crypt/bandit hallway. Ugh. Chapter 2 feels like a completely different game, and instantly drops its super generic tone too. I saw mention in an interview, with either JE Sawyer or Avellone, I forget, that each chapter in NWN2 was done by a separate team. Very strange development strategy.

Jerk

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Really? Cause I recently played through NWN2 and it was horrible. The worst camera I've ever dealt with in a supposedly AAA game and truly horrible combat that felt as exciting as watching grass grow. And the story stunk until the expansions.

I hate NWN2 so much because underneath its shitty engine, I can tell there is a decent game.

MOTB definately is worth all the jank.

A much better game than the main.

duckroll

EviLore said:
Except for chapter 1, anyway. The 20 hour long swamp/crypt/bandit hallway. Ugh. Chapter 2 feels like a completely different game, and instantly drops its super generic tone too. I saw mention in an interview, with either JE Sawyer or Avellone, I forget, that each chapter in NWN2 was done by a separate team. Very strange development strategy.

Chapter 1 would have been much better if at the end of it you get the option to kill your "father". :lol

Zeliard

charsace said:
Too bad its badly optimized.

I first played it around the time it came out, with much of the same rig (I added 2 gigs of RAM and an x64 OS since then), and the difference then is night & day (probably due to the patches).

It certainly doesn't run very well relative to how it looks, but overall it's still okay. I can max the game out and still keep it at 30+ in almost all scenes, especially in more isometric/overhead types of views where it's drawing less geometry and such. The technical aspect of Obsidian games is not something I really concern myself with outside of corrupt saved games and more serious shit like that.

WanderingWind said:

The camera is terrible, I agree.

It's especially annoying for me since I have a busted mouse wheel on this old MX518. Fortunately I also have two extra buttons on the side of my mouse that I can use to rebind zoom in/zoom out, except with Strategy view, those automatically become camera up/camera down which suddenly makes that view a lot less flexible (you can only zoom in/out using other binds if you have the camera glued to your character). So yeah, shit's whack.

I'm enjoying the combat so far, playing as a Drow wizard this time. Mages have plenty of options in D&D games - it's why they usually end up overpowered after the initial hump.

EviLore said:

Ya chapter 1 is pretty goofy since it's both slow and very tutorial-heavy.

I liken it to Act 1 of The Witcher, which was similarly slow-paced and dull and not really indicative of the rest of the game.

EatChildren said:
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

AHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I played all of Fallout 3 on my HTPC hooked up to 50" plasma, using the 360 controller, it worked great.

Jerk

Banned
WanderingWind said:
"Oh, but Jerk, the jank! The jank!"

Worst. Camera. Ever.

Yeah it was pretty awful.

Zeliard said:
I liken it to Act 1 of The Witcher, which was similarly slow-paced and dull and not really indicative of the rest of the game.

Man, I loved Act 1...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Fallout 3's hardly a twitch FPS, so not that blasphemous to use a controller. Would've been a lot more difficult to murder the entire population of Megaton by hand before blowing it up, though, without some accurate mouse aiming, early on in the game before you're superjesus. And my hoarding sensibilities can't just let a whole town full of loot go up in a nuke.

EviLore said:
And my hoarding sensibilities can't just let a whole town full of loot go up in a nuke.

Same, can't waste resources in the capital wasteland by detonating a nuke, I treated every item as a valuable resource and im sure they really will be in New vegas Hardcore mode.

Jerk

Banned
EviLore said:
Fallout 3's hardly a twitch FPS, so not that blasphemous to use a controller. Would've been a lot more difficult to murder the entire population of Megaton by hand before blowing it up, though, without some accurate mouse aiming, early on in the game before you're superjesus. And my hoarding sensibilities can't just let a whole town full of loot go up in a nuke.

So long...

I do agree about Megaton though: nuking it also seemed like a massive waste to me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Don't get me wrong, I nuked Megaton in both of my playthroughs. I just systematically murdered the whole population -- incogito at first, stabbing people in their beds and so forth, and then the grand finale out in the open -- and emptied the town of valuables before setting it off.

Jerk

Banned
EviLore said:
Don't get me wrong, I nuked Megaton in both of my playthroughs. I just systematically murdered the whole population -- incogito at first, stabbing people in their beds and so forth, and then the grand finale out in the open -- and emptied the town of valuables before setting it off.

:/

Lakitu

st5fu
EviLore said:

Your character sounds like a loveable fella.

Kade

I haven't watched any of the streams since I don't want any of the game spoiled for me or anything so can anyone who has watched them tell me how the third-person camera has been improved? Is it more like Gears of War and Resident Evil 4 & 5 or is it more centered like Metal Arms Glitch and SOCOM? Were the talks of an improved third-person camera all lies?

Davedough

Gravijah said:
What version?

I have the 360 version. I loaded it back up from my save and got past the lock up part no problem. Must have been temporary. I do notice the terrain seems to "jump" every now and again as if the graphics engine cant keep up though. Its a little distracting but not horrible.

Zeliard

EviLore plays these types of games like the evil bastard that I tend to play them as. It's difficult for me to play the good guy in games with more binary choices, since the good options are usually so insipid. Plus, what's more escapist than playing a character who's personality is completely unlike your own? :>

Never really understood those people who can only ever play good in video games because they literally feel bad - or somehow wrong - if they don't.

Lakitu

st5fu
dygiT said:
I haven't watched any of the streams since I don't want any of the game spoiled for me or anything so can anyone who has watched them tell me how the third-person camera has been improved? Is it more like Gears of War and Resident Evil 4 & 5 or is it more centered like Metal Arms Glitch and SOCOM? Were the talks of an improved third-person camera all lies?

Probably more like the former ones (Gears, RE). The character is much closer this time, unlike Fallout 3.

Emitan

I had no issues playing the PC version with a controller. But I also VATS everything to death, which requires no aiming at all.

EatChildren said:
WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

AHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

i used a controller whole time with FO3, after playing loads of tf2 the mouse latency felt so damn mushy in FO3 when I finally tried mouse i went right back to controller (plus I fight like 95% of my fights using VATS)

Llyranor

What separates amateurs like EvilLore from me is that I would have eaten the populace before setting off the nuke too. Such a waste of good food.

As much as I absolutely love MOTB, I can't stand NWN2's engine. I couldn't finish Zehir because of it. Ugh.

duckroll

Llyranor said:
What separates amateurs like EvilLore from me is that I would have eaten the populace before setting off the nuke too. Such a waste of good food.

I think... your condition is getting worse. :(

Gravijah

please gaming gods do not let Llyranor buy the PC version

DO NOT LET HIM
gluiv.jpg
DAMN IT

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Llyranor said:

Cannibal Perk + Child Killer Mod = Heaven

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zeliard said:
Never really understood those people who can only ever play good in video games because they literally feel bad - or somehow wrong - if they don't.
I tend to play good guys in these kind of games because of potential in-game consequences.:lol and plus some of these games usually reward you more for being good.

Dennis

Banned
dygiT said:
Why? I sincerly hope you are not intending to play in third person mode

Zeliard

Lafiel said:
I tend to play good guys in these kind of games because of potential in-game consequences.:lol and plus some of these games usually reward you more for being good.

Making that choice based on gameplay or story is one thing, but there are some people out there who can't bring themselves to play evil in a game because they're not evil in real life, which strikes me as a bit silly.

Dennis

Banned
Zeliard said:
Making that choice based on gameplay or story is one thing, but there are some people out there who can't bring themselves to play evil in a game because they're not evil in real life, which strikes me as a bit silly.
Whatever, psycho

Top Bottom