• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

Fjordson

Replaying this for kicks, and my side goal is to collect every Sunset Sasparilla bottle I come across. I'm curious to see if I can put enough of them in one room to where the 360 can't handle it.
:lol I should do something like this, I miss this game. Want to replay this and Fallout 3 soon.

Just started my first Energy Weapons character... Are there any Unique weapons in the Mojave I should make sure to check out? As a side note, I'm playing with the HEV Suit from Half Life to make it nerd+.

bjork

:lol I should do something like this, I miss this game. Want to replay this and Fallout 3 soon.

When I replayed Fallout 3, I collected all the baseballs and baseball gloves I could find. There weren't as many as I thought, it barely covered the desk in the Megaton house's bedroom. Maybe I should've collected finance clipboards or something, heh.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, during the tutorial in Goodsprings there's always this goddamn Radscorpion going berserk and killing Victor, several Brahmin and everyone else it comes across.
lol this never happened to me but sounds awesome. I usually get swarmed by Giant Radscorpions in that gas station just past Primm and end up climbing on a tall rock out of the Radscorpions' AI's reach and I shoot them from up there. It happens almost every single playthrough.

Just started my first Energy Weapons character... Are there any Unique weapons in the Mojave I should make sure to check out? As a side note, I'm playing with the HEV Suit from Half Life to make it nerd+.
The Q-35 matter modulator is a pretty decent plasma rifle found on REPCONN HQ. It's kinda advanced though.

Alright guys, I'm kinda skipping the thread here. I played Oblivion and I finally found the game fun after some amount of years. I bought this game on sale for bucks a while back for a Pip Boy, but now I figured I'd give it another shot.

Tips for a first timer?

XeroSauce

Wouldn't say it wasn't fun, just incredibly difficult with the couple dozen difficulty mods I had installed :p

Okay well see that's different.

Outside of Repconn I had no real use for any of my pulse guns, and this was on my first no-mod Normal difficultly walkthrough when I got the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
Go to Novac (you're basically forced to early on anyway) and get Boone if you want easy mode.
Taco, this should be your first order of business.

Getting ED-E in Primm will also be very useful early on. It's not a particularly difficult game, just watch out for big ugly baddies like Giant Radscorpions and Cazadores, and follow the main highway south and then east and you'll be cruisin' for the most part.

Okay well see that's different.

Outside of Repconn I had no real use for any of my pulse guns, and this was on my first no-mod Normal difficultly walkthrough when I got the game.
Hey, a couple dozen difficulty mods is the only way to play New Vegas :)

Jubern

I never played a Fallout but always been kinda curious about it. And there I have the opportunity to get the non-GOTY PS3 of this game for version 10 bucks.

I'm ready to jump on it, but could anyone tell me about the performance? I read contrasting reports going from "fucking terrible" to "alright".

MasLegio

Banned
I never played a Fallout but always been kinda curious about it. And there I have the opportunity to get the non-GOTY PS3 of this game for version 10 bucks.

I'm ready to jump on it, but could anyone tell me about the performance? I read contrasting reports going from "fucking terrible" to "alright".

PC version is the version you want if you have a PC good enough (most are nowadays)

PS3 version was good for me for quite a while but then it became almost unplayable with game freezing up, dont think Bethesda has fixed this yet and this is the reason I now avoid Bethesda games on my PS3

XeroSauce

Definitely get on PC for mods and other general fixes, and definitely get the GOTY version, usually Steam will have it for cheaper and the Summer Sale will start soon so it'd be on there, guaranteed. If not, I'm sure there are people around that are selling/Steam trading it.

But PC PC PC for sure. PS3 has it's fair share of bugs and the benefit of mods on PC is unspeakable, it's like playing an entirely new game depending on what you install.

Jubern

Thing is, while I currently have a PC totally capable of running it, I plan on leaving it in France when I'll move to Japan next September, too much hassle. I'll take my PS3 though. And also a brand new MacBook Pro 13", but I really don't know how the game would run on that...?

bjork

Ahhhhh shitass. I was trying to polish off the Legion set of quests, and then I
messed up the president assassination. Fled back to the fort, and then they turned on me too, for failing.

My last save was like an hour before. How dumb of me, I know better!

MasLegio

Banned
Thing is, while I currently have a PC totally capable of running it, I plan on leaving it in France when I'll move to Japan next September, too much hassle. I'll take my PS3 though. And also a brand new MacBook Pro 13", but I really don't know how the game would run on that...?

if it is a new macbook pro it might run pretty good if you boot into windows 7. (edit: depending on the GPU)

The game will probably be dirtcheap at least once during the summer on the steam sale or on another digital service's sale so buy it then and try it out.

Jubern

Yup, it'll be the new 13" MacBook Pro that's supposed to come out soon. Thanks for the feedback, I guess I'll wait for the summer sale ;)

Veezy

que?
So, I got a new PC (well, technically my first) and I'm going to get FO3 and NV for it. Is there a list of must have mods for both games somewhere? I've never messed with modding before, so I figured I'd talk to people who were smarter than I was before I did anything stupid.

Also, on a side note. I said that you PC folks were crazy. That it wasn't that much better than the consoles. I was... wrong. So very, very, wrong. Forgive me master race. The resolutions. The pixels. They're so god damned beautiful.

What did you guys choose upon the decision of your brain? Whats the consequence of leaving it? Same for your other body parts.

Is your brain suppose to keep repeating his answer to your question? Theres one where it just says it over and over. Theres no way to get out of that dialog. Another obsidian fuck up i presume?

XeroSauce

Ahhhhh shitass. I was trying to polish off the Legion set of quests, and then I
messed up the president assassination. Fled back to the fort, and then they turned on me too, for failing.

My last save was like an hour before. How dumb of me, I know better!

Think of it as consequence for your actions. Unless it bugs out a quest or something..that's how I like to play.

bjork

Think of it as consequence for your actions. Unless it bugs out a quest or something..that's how I like to play.

As it turns out, it was because
I was going back to the fort in NCR gear
, totally forgot about that. Finished my legion run, now I just need to do another Mr. House run and the dlcs and I'm done with it. Again.

Finished it a few minutes ago after ~92h including all 4 add ons and every side quest according to the Fallout wiki.

One of the best WRPG ever hands down. This is easily the RPG of the generation, that's not even an opinion.

bjork

A pleasant surprise I've had this go-round with FNV is that the freezing issue I had last year has been almost nonexistent. I've got probably 50ish hours in total, but I think I've had 3 freezes total. Last year I had so many that it nearly put me off the game.

I went through OWB, and I'm in the minority because I'm not really too fond of the characters. I like the setting and the items, but the personalities in the Sink don't do much for me. I did bury Muggy in coffee cups before I talked to him, though. Came back to the regular map after finishing OWB and polished off Vault 19
I buried them under tons of rubble so I can actually see a different ending card for them
, now I think I might do Honest Hearts next.

RedSwirl

Nice to see this thread still being updated.

I'm in the middle of the main quest and at a point where I can decide where I want to go faction-wise. I'm deciding between NCR and
independent Vegas
, but all this stuff is kinda heavy for my character.

Throughout the whole game I've been playing my guy off as a neutral/good mercenary doing pretty much whatever he can to either earn money or establish good business relationships, without hard loyalty to anyone. I've mostly been following the NCR line, but only when my character get's compensation out of the deal. He doesn't sincerely care about the NCR itself.

Thrakier

I don't know guys. I really do like Fallout 1 and 2 and the whole universe and I do think as well that Obsidian were pretty competent of catching the general atmosphere BUT for me the engine really destorys it. It looks so bland and lifeless, samey and stiff, so artificial. I would've far more prefered a Fallout in the classical camera perspective but MILLIONS of details everywhere, just oozing atmosphere.

Also I don't like that you still have to walk so much. I added a sprint function via MOD, I don't even wanna know how this game plays without sprint. You guys playing the game on console must have nerves made of steel.

I kinda constantly feel like I need to rush, although I want to see some stuff as well. I'm...not really enjoying it. It's more of a habit playing a Fallout game. :( There were some great quest moments though. FISTOR.

Lancehead

I played on PC and the run speed didn't bother me. I usually have a lot of patience when playing these types games. But even without that I don't think running is as bad it was for you.

Thrakier

I played on PC and the run speed didn't bother me. I usually have a lot of patience when playing these types games. But even without that I don't think running is as bad it was for you.

Well, I think in relation to the overall world the normal running speed was good enoug, but still, you had to run way too far sometimes. There were some things so far I didn't do because I th ought "oh no I don't wanna go all that way". And I'm already using a sprint mod.

I think you are right though, patience is what this game needs. Patience and then patience again and add some more patieince to it.

moojito

Well, I think in relation to the overall world the normal running speed was good enoug, but still, you had to run way too far sometimes. There were some things so far I didn't do because I th ought "oh no I don't wanna go all that way". And I'm already using a sprint mod.

I think you are right though, patience is what this game needs. Patience and then patience again and add some more patieince to it.

Yip, definitely not the game for you. Walking all that way doesn't require patience if the journey there is fun and you find a ton of stuff to do along the way. The people who this game is for would get that. I don't think it's a terrible thing that the game is not for everyone.

Fjordson

I didn't mind the walking speed, and I played on 360 so no mods or sprint function for me. I wanted to see every inch of the world, I just love the Fallout setting. Sure, there are some drab stretches of the desert, but you're usually never too far from an interesting enemy encounter or new location.

Thrakier

I'm not even talking about the desert, I'm fine with that, I get the aspect of traveling. It's more like getting from Strip Point A (Elvis) to Point C (End of the strip) or whatever. Everything is so HUGE, I just don't feel like walking there. There isn't just enough life in this game. And yeah, sadly I think that's just the engines fault by a large margin. Same game with an engine like Witcher 2 would probably make me drool.

Some of the humor is quite good, yeah but...I don't know.

I think another point is that I do think that the fighting isn't any fun and is essentially not a real fighting system. It's a bad ego shooter with a pause function. The bad pedalling is a joke, I don't even know how that got through QA. Seriously, that couldn't be part of the original concept. They probably just didn't know how to fix it.

Well, I'm almost done with it now I hope.

Fjordson

Yeah, modern Fallout combat isn't the greatest thing ever. I don't mind it, though. It's fun to always be going for better and better weapons, to the point where you get a hilariously gory kill in almost every encounter.

Thrakier

Yeah, modern Fallout combat isn't the greatest thing ever. I don't mind it, though. It's fun to always be going for better and better weapons, to the point where you get a hilariously gory kill in almost every encounter.

I meant back pedalling btw. ;D

I'm still mad ad them that they didn't have the balls to include the classig Fallout mechanism. Would've made the game so much more fun. But no, US average Joe needs his ego shooter fix, so let's make everything like a shooter. :(

Well, Fistor was almost worh the game alone. I certainly tested him/it thouroghly before delivering him to his new owner. ;D

They can do a new Fallout, but I hope they fix a lot of things. Leveling is ok, but they really need to add substance to the combat and fix the engine. They need real lighting there, the original Fallout looks so flat. Don't just use the Skyrim engine please because that game looks pretty shitty as well. :(

To think about that I used a ton of mods to play it...don't even wanna see it again in it's vanilla state. The textures...brrr...how did this game get so great graphic scores? I don't know.

Fjordson

Can't argue too much there. Gamebryo is a lumbering piece of shit at this point, desperately crawling its way to the finish line of this generation. Bethesda made it work with Skyrim (in that it sold a ton) but I'm hoping for a complete overhaul as far as their tech goes before Fallout 4 / TES VI.

Audioboxer

I'm about to embark on playing through this again with all the DLC (never played any DLC). I'm right to assume unarmed/melee is pretty viable in NV?

If so, which should I go for? Want to try something different for once.

Lancehead

I meant back pedalling btw. ;D

I'm still mad ad them that they didn't have the balls to include the classig Fallout mechanism. Would've made the game so much more fun. But no, US average Joe needs his ego shooter fix, so let's make everything like a shooter. :(

Well, Fistor was almost worh the game alone. I certainly tested him/it thouroghly before delivering him to his new owner. ;D

They can do a new Fallout, but I hope they fix a lot of things. Leveling is ok, but they really need to add substance to the combat and fix the engine. They need real lighting there, the original Fallout looks so flat. Don't just use the Skyrim engine please because that game looks pretty shitty as well. :(

To think about that I used a ton of mods to play it...don't even wanna see it again in it's vanilla state. The textures...brrr...how did this game get so great graphic scores? I don't know.

There are mods to adjust backpedaling (Project Nevada).

As for the combat, it's what the engine can allow. If the engine had allowed I'm sure Obsidian would've opted for a more tactical combat system. They or Bethesda can't really fix much as long as they use Creation/Gamebryo engine.

Audίoboxer;39208395 said:
I'm about to embark on playing through this again with all the DLC (never played any DLC). I'm right to assume unarmed/melee is pretty viable in NV?

If so, which should I go for? Want to try something different for once.

Both are viable. Go with what fancies you. You may want to note that with certain long melee weapons you can keep enemies at a distance while you attack. Unarmed attacks have a very high damage output.

Thrakier

As for the combat, it's what the engine can allow. If the engine had allowed I'm sure Obsidian would've opted for a more tactical combat system. They or Bethesda can't really fix much as long as they use Creation/Gamebryo engine.

I know, I already used it. ;) All it does is slowing down your backwards movement, that is not really an adjustment. I do think the combat is more or less half finished. They hadn't the backpedal problem coming from Oblivion because of the melee system I guess and they just didn't care to fix it then.

Audioboxer

Both are viable. Go with what fancies you. You may want to note that with certain long melee weapons you can keep enemies at a distance while you attack. Unarmed attacks have a very high damage output.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm also thinking of doing a complete speech based character for the roleplay value of pretty much avoiding fighting. Maybe arm myself with a classy pistol for unavoidable moments? Or have a companion do all the dirty work :p

Are there some good speech builds? Would be an interesting way to play I guess.

Lancehead

Audίoboxer;39217762 said:
Thanks for the tips.

I'm also thinking of doing a complete speech based character for the roleplay value of pretty much avoiding fighting. Maybe arm myself with a classy pistol for unavoidable moments? Or have a companion do all the dirty work :p

If you want to go non-violent, then Speech and Sneak would be very useful. Science and Lockpick could be useful to access alternate paths to avoid enemies. These are just some basic starters. After first few hours, you should be able to recognise what you might be needing later on.

hypernima

Banned
sigh the PS3 version is horrible. Pop in it and I kid you not 5 seconds in it freezes. I will never be able to beat this game until I get a PC.

Gah, I'm irate, I just wanna finish the main quest ffs!

bjork

Audίoboxer;39217762 said:
Thanks for the tips.

I've found that if you start pouring points into speech and barter immediately with a high INT and PER, it makes for interesting new dialogue options you might not see otherwise. But it makes some points almost too easy, though.

It's also possible to finish the game without killing anything or anyone, and that's a pretty neat goal to shoot for.

Replaying this for kicks, and my side goal is to collect every Sunset Sasparilla bottle I come across. I'm curious to see if I can put enough of them in one room to where the 360 can't handle it.

^ as an update, I've managed to collect somewhere between 600 and 1000 bottles total, and piled them up like so

FDDZH.jpg

It makes the suite section lag intensely, but it hasn't managed to grind to a halt yet. Gonna keep going to see if it can get down to like 5 fps.

Dizzy-4U

I'm late to the party but finally decided to start New Vegas. I installed around 8gb worth of mods and expected to run like crap, but so far it's been running at 60fps 99% of the time so no complaints there.

Are there enough crazy quests in New Vegas? Something like the talking tree or alien abduction in FO3?

So far the weirdest one I've done was "Come Fly With Me" which was pretty funny in some parts. Also, No-bark Noonan is the funniest character I came across so far. He's freaking nuts.

I'm late to the party but finally decided to start New Vegas. I installed around 8gb worth of mods and expected to run like crap, but so far it's been running at 60fps 99% of the time so no complaints there.

Are there enough crazy quests in New Vegas? Something like the talking tree or alien abduction in FO3?

So far the weirdest one I've done was "Come Fly With Me" which was pretty funny in some parts. Also, No-bark Noonan is the funniest character I came across so far. He's freaking nuts.

Old World Blues is insanity. There's some pretty goofy stuff in Jacobstown, but with the way New Vegas is structured it more a mid to late game area. You can skip ahead to it though if you want.

Top Bottom