• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famicom Mini Kid Icarus?

Even though I said I wouldn't....

package.jpg

... that box art!

I am Nintendo's bitch :(

john tv

Palthena's Mirror in handheld form = ROCK

And everyone can hear the enhanced music in Zelda II, Palthena, Metroid, etc. now, too. :)

ManaByte said:
Who would buy Metroid if they have Zero Mission?
1) Collectors
2) People who remember having the Disk System game
3) People who don't want to beat Zero Mission to unlock the original
4) Drunk, homesick salarymen

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Order the set last night...

The guy in the store didn't know about it and thought we were winding him up....

cvxfreak

Any games left to be released?

I think RockMan II would be good, as well as Hoshi no Kirby, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy III and others.

john tv

DCharlie said:
Apparently, according to Jonnyram, this is the last of the mini-series :(
Nooooooooo!

Well, Nintendo said that after Series 1 too, though, so maybe there's still hope for more?

CVXFREAK said:
Any games left to be released?

I think RockMan II would be good, as well as Hoshi no Kirby, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy III and others.
I think we'll start to see more and more third party games as the series progresses.

Dragon Quest will undoubtedly be a smash hit. It could be the first Famicom Mini title to bust open a million units. So that will lead one series or another. Since it released in 1986 I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the next batch.

The thing is that Nintendo themselves has kind of blown their load on Famicom Mini titles - their major releases are pretty much all out there with the exception of only a few titles. Stuff like Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby, Mother, and Super Mario USA have been recently ported or remade, so they aren't top priorities. So that pretty much leaves Mach Rider, Punch-Out, Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, Mario Open Golf, and Joy Mecha Fight.

Of those I'd imagine they'd only release two or three, so that leaves a lot of space open for third party titles. So in the next series we might see any of the following...

Namco: Galaga, Druaga, Pac-Land, Family Stadium
Konami: Gradius, Nemesis
Taito: Elevator Action
Hudson: Momotaro Densetsu
Bandai: Kinnikuman, Obake no Q-Taro
Enix: Dragon Quest, Door Door, Portopia
Tecmo: Solomon's Key, Mighty Bomb Jack
Capcom: Commando, Rockman
Technos: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun

cvxfreak

DCharlie said:
Apparently, according to Jonnyram, this is the last of the mini-series :(

Somehow I seriously want to doubt it. These are blockbuster sellers and more games have so much potential.

Kobun Heat said:
I think we'll start to see more and more third party games as the series progresses.

Dragon Quest will undoubtedly be a smash hit. It could be the first Famicom Mini title to bust open a million units. So that will lead one series or another. Since it released in 1986 I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the next batch.

The thing is that Nintendo themselves has kind of blown their load on Famicom Mini titles - their major releases are pretty much all out there with the exception of only a few titles. Stuff like Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby, Mother, and Super Mario USA have been recently ported or remade, so they aren't top priorities. So that pretty much leaves Mach Rider, Punch-Out, Yoshi, Yoshi's Cookie, Mario Open Golf, and Joy Mecha Fight.

Of those I'd imagine they'd only release two or three, so that leaves a lot of space open for third party titles. So in the next series we might see any of the following...

Namco: Galaga, Druaga, Pac-Land, Family Stadium
Konami: Gradius, Nemesis
Taito: Elevator Action
Hudson: Momotaro Densetsu
Bandai: Kinnikuman, Obake no Q-Taro
Enix: Dragon Quest, Door Door, Portopia
Tecmo: Solomon's Key, Mighty Bomb Jack
Capcom: Commando, Rockman
Technos: Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun

I think the only way SE would allow their properties on the lineup is if they published it themselves. Nintendo publishes all of the games I believe so I guess that's the dispute.

If Squeenix is retarded enough to pass up the metric fuckload of free cash they'd get off a Famicom Mini version of Dragon Quest, they don't deserve it.

DCharlie

i would have thought it would have been the dispute with a few companies - perhaps a lot of the 3rd parties have decided to do their own retro line and get a bigger slice of the pie/cake? who knows?

I , personally, want Sky Kid.

DCharlie said:
i would have thought it would have been the dispute with a few companies - perhaps a lot of the 3rd parties have decided to do their own retro line and get a bigger slice of the pie/cake? who knows?
Seems like that's the route Jaleco went with their Ninja Jajamaru-kun release, that has five of their
remarkably, assfuckingly bad
Famicom titles emulated on it.

john tv

Kobun Heat said:
If Squeenix is retarded enough to pass up the metric fuckload of free cash they'd get off a Famicom Mini version of Dragon Quest, they don't deserve it.
This won't happen. A) It's too outdated, B) It's already been given the full remake treatment for GBC, and C) The Famicom version has a lengthy password system, unlike the US one. Handheld games + Lengthy Passwords = No

Chittagong

Gold Member
DCharlie said:
....are we going to get yellow , disk styled cards?? oh go on, please....

Well, alright then, here you go:

PA.07765.005.jpg

sorry for the pixelation, but you get the idea.

BTW, I'm having second thoughts, maybe I should go collecting - anywhere I could still find those complete boxes?

DCharlie

"Seems like that's the route Jaleco went with their Ninja Jajamaru-kun release..."

I like City Connection for some reason - BUT - not on that collection because it runs like utter ass!

LittleJohn GP32 or Pocketnes run it much better.

"dragon quest password system"
tell me about it - i started playing it under Emu on the go and decided to save.... suddenly i was like "SHEEEET!! I HAVE NO PEN!!! OR PAPER... ARGGHHH!"

*looks at cart shot above*
... time for a bathroom trip.

cvxfreak

john tv said:
This won't happen. A) It's too outdated, B) It's already been given the full remake treatment for GBC, and C) The Famicom version has a lengthy password system, unlike the US one. Handheld games + Lengthy Passwords = No

Didn't stop SMB for the GBC remake, and Metroid for the password system (dunno if its lengthy but eh ;)). Plus didn't some FM games have battery saves anyway? Hmm...

A) So was Ice Climbers, B) People want the Famicom Minis in great part because they're NOT polished up, and C) they worked around it for Metroid.

john tv

Kobun Heat said:
A) So was Ice Climbers, B) People want the Famicom Minis in great part because they're NOT polished up, and C) they worked around it for Metroid.
Metroid didn't have a password in Japan. They didn't need to work around it. :p

john tv said:
Metroid didn't have a password in Japan. They didn't need to work around it. :p
It did in the NES version, which I thought was the version used for Zero Mission in both territories ANYWAY IT'S A SIMPLE TASK TO SAVE A PASSWORD.

john tv

Kobun Heat said:
It did in the NES version, which I thought was the version used for Zero Mission in both territories ANYWAY IT'S A SIMPLE TASK TO SAVE A PASSWORD.
Not gonna happen! Get over it!

john tv said:
Not gonna happen! Get over it!
But why not? At this point the only reason I could see is that Squeenix might want to exert more control than Nintendo would be happy with. Otherwise it has the potential to be the biggest single Mini game ever.

john tv

Kobun Heat said:
But why not? At this point the only reason I could see is that Squeenix might want to exert more control than Nintendo would be happy with. Otherwise it has the potential to be the biggest single Mini game ever.
I don't think it would sell well at all. The reason these games are selling well is because they're simple, easy and fun. I don't think anyone, even with a heavy dose of nostalgia, is going to want to play through the Famicom Dragon Quest again. Nowadays it's practically unplayable.

jarrod

Banned
explodet said:
Castlevania, bitches!

This block is light for the NES Classics, so NOA better fill in the gaps with stuff like Punch-Out.
Punch-Out, bitches!
More likely I think they'll mix from Famicom Mini Volumes 2 & 3 for the Classic NES Series 2. I just hope Zelda 2 and Kid Icarus make the cut.

jarrod said:
More likely I think they'll mix from Famicom Mini Volumes 2 & 3 for the Classic NES Series 2. I just hope Zelda 2 and Kid Icarus make the cut.
I'd hope to see Castlevania somewhere in there. Hopefully they'll just port the Famicom version with its three save slots. :O

Hero

My dream NES Collection Wave 2:

Contra
Kid Icarus
Punch-Out!!
Castlevania
Blaster Master
TMNT
Zelda 2
Kirby's Dreamland

Note: I myself wouldn't buy Zelda 2 or Kirby since they've been re-released within the past two years but for nostalgia's sake I'm sure it'd be nice.

Top Bottom