• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Tamir Rice to be paid $6 Million in settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/city-cleveland-settles-tamir-rice-lawsuit-6-million-n561671

Cleveland has reached a $6 million settlement in a lawsuit over the killing of Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old black boy shot by a white cop while holding a pellet gun outside a recreation center, the mayor's office confirmed.

A grand jury declined to bring charges against the officers, and a federal civil rights investigation is pending.

The incident unfolded on Nov. 22, 2014: A police cruiser raced in front of a Cleveland recreation center and rolled up alongside 12-year-old Tamir Rice.

One of the two police officers inside the car jumped out and fired his service weapon twice. Rice, who earlier had been flashing around a toy pellet gun, crumpled onto the snowy soil.

The incident lasted less than two seconds.

The choppy surveillance footage of the fatal shooting stoked public outrage and prompted calls for police reform.

The death of the young black boy also became the latest example in the national debate over policing in minority communities and what constitutes a justifiable use of force — a rallying point for the "Black Lives Matter" movement.

Glad the family is being paid, but at the same time, these settlements just seems to stop any real change or consequences from coming from these events.

quickwhips

what do the parents do with the money now. I mean do you move out of where your out and try to escape the news and all the bullshit that surrounds this? Its so fucked something like this happens but I feel it will just die down again unless the victims parents use that money to keep awareness going. I hope that is what happens.

Even if it was more I can imagine the parents want nothing more than the police officer who did this to face charges for his crimes....

What good is money when you've lost your child.

im glad the family gets something, but are there reports of the department changing their ways? Retraining etc?
Justice Department got up in their ass for being basically corrupt and violation of civil rights and being overly aggressive, and got a consent decree with them so they are being watched now and have to go through a ton of reforms.

Slayven

Cost of doing business, people should be mad if not for the racist shit but their taxes.

The bar is lower for a civil trial

Not like they have video tape or anything.

All the cop has to say "I feared for my life" and they can and often do get away with murder

Two Words

"We don't think the cop did anything worth being charged for. However, here's millions of dollars."

This shit is ridiculous.

Slayven

I wouldn't be surprised if they pasted a law saying you can only sue for so much when the city fucks up. Baltmore has one cause they were getting hit with so many.

The awesome thing is that when the police fucked up, then the cash simply comes out of the public's pocket. There should be harsher penalties to fucking up instead of just a cash payout, which is what the public also cares about.

55 million for Erin Andrews. 115 million for Hulk Hogan. 6 million for a dead black boy killed unjustly by police.
Not that it makes it any better, but in addition to being full trials, arent the Erin Andrews and Hulk Hogan settlements against large private companies? Most states dont hold massive reserves like companies do.

Before taxes ... Smh
You do not pay taxes on settlement money.

Not that it makes it any better, but in addition to being full trials, arent the Erin Andrews and Hulk Hogan settlements against large private companies? Most states dont hold massive reserves like companies do.

Make police pension funds liable to pay out in situations like this, cops would soon stop murdering people

platocplx

Its shitty that tax payers have to pay for these guys mistakes over and over again especially when it was easily preventable by not being dick heads and driving up on a kid with guns drawn instead of engaging first from a safe distance. like are these officers going to be fired?

Never be able to work at officers again? any reforms on training and how to deescalate situations and approaching situations without immediately drawing their weapons? More non lethal methods of apprehension? like it just feels like hush money right now and tax payers should be outraged that officers have no real accountability for their actions. But then again there are taxpayers who blame the victim.

Chariot

Fuck that. Money is nice and all for the family, but ya know what would be even nicer? Actual justice and accountability, followed by change of the system. 600k, 6m, 60m, it doesn't matter as long as they just continue to do this shit. The only thing they learned is that they shouldn't be caught.

vikki

Its shitty that tax payers have to pay for these guys mistakes over and over again especially when it was easily preventable by not being dick heads and driving up on a kid with guns drawn instead of engaging first from a safe distance. like are these officers going to be fired?

Never be able to work at officers again? any reforms on training and how to deescalate situations and approaching situations without immediately drawing their weapons? More non lethal methods of apprehension? like it just feels like hush money right now and tax payers should be outraged that officers have no real accountability for their actions. But then again there are taxpayers who blame the victim.

Can we get a figure on howuch municipalities are paying out to civil suits due to police misconduct? And where exactly that money is coming from? Cause people don't care about lives wasted, but their tax dollars at work, they care very much about.

How the hell does the city admit that they fucked up to the tune of $6 million yet no charges are laid? What was the mistake and why did it have such a high financial cost without any criminal element? I am glad the family gets something at least, but it is sad that the tax payers have to foot the bill when no one else will even be held accountable for this misconduct.

TS-08

How the hell does the city admit that they fucked up to the tune of $6 million yet no charges are laid? What was the mistake and why did it have such a high financial cost without any criminal element? I am glad the family gets something at least, but it is sad that the tax payers have to foot the bill when no one else will even be held accountable for this misconduct.

The City did not admit to wrongdoing. Settlement agreements often contain language where the parties involved explicitly state the settlement is not an admission of fault or liability. Also, it's never any good to compare the outcome of the criminal litigation or investigation with the outcome for the civil litigation, as they have different burdens of proof.

vikki

The City did not admit to wrongdoing. Settlement agreements often contain language where the parties involved explicitly state the settlement is not an admission of fault or liability. Also, it's never any good to compare the outcome of the criminal litigation or investigation with the outcome for the civil litigation, as they have different burdens of proof.

Yeah, we did nothing wrong. We're just giving you the 6 million out of kindness.

TS-08

Yeah, we did nothing wrong. We're just giving you the 6 million out of kindness.

The people involved in the decision to settle may legitimately believe there was no wrongdoing but are aware of the risk in leaving that up to a jury. Or, they may think the Rice family/estate really does have a great case and are getting out for as low a number as they could. Either way, the settlement does not require the City to admit fault, which was my only point.

vikki

The people involved in the decision to settle may legitimately believe there was no wrongdoing but are aware of the risk in leaving that up to a jury. Or, they may think the Rice family/estate really does have a great case and are getting out for as low a number as they could. Either way, the settlement does not require the City to admit fault, which was my only point.

My apologies, I understood what you wrote. My reply was in Jest. It's a settlement, of course there is no admission of guilt. But settlement can sway public opinion, even without admission of wrongdoing.

platocplx

Can we get a figure on howuch municipalities are paying out to civil suits due to police misconduct? And where exactly that money is coming from? Cause people don't care about lives wasted, but their tax dollars at work, they care very much about.

City of Chicago alone has paid out over half a billion dollars. since 2004

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...on-in-police-brutality-settlements-since-2004

imagine if that money went into reforms and preventing such stuff.

TS-08

My apologies, I understood what you wrote. My reply was in Jest. It's a settlement, of course there is no admission of guilt. But settlement can sway public opinion, even without admission of wrongdoing.

You're right. And I did get that from your reply, I just wasn't sure if I had made my point very clearly.

I know will be of good use to them but it always feels a little scummy;

"Sorry we killed your son and little or no one will be brought to justice....here's some money"

Dali

55 million for Erin Andrews. 115 million for Hulk Hogan. 6 million for a dead black boy killed unjustly by police.
I don't know about the Erin Andrews case but HH won his case. This was a settlement to keep it from going to trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom