• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Tamir Rice to be paid $6 Million in settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdPizza

Banned
In a perfect world the family would turn around and take that money to hire top lawyers to sue the cops who killed him for everything. But I'm sure a stipulation of the settlement is to drop any further legal actions.

platocplx

and a police association adds tone deafness and insult to a lost life and victim blames. Incredible.
5Uun5eO.jpg

Source:http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2016/04/tamir_rice_settlement_should_h.html

I agree. The next generation should learn better gun handling, so they don't grow up to be the next generation of murderous police officers.

I'm just being a dick

and a police association adds tone deafness and insult to a lost life and victim blames. Incredible.
5Uun5eO.jpg
Holy shit. HOLY SHIT! Imagine a real horrible thing happening to someone..apply that to the fucksticks released that statement.

Good for them and endless condolences to his family. Still awaiting for TRUE justice for Tamir. Someone needs to be charged for this shit, and I don't mean their pocketbooks..

Tamir should have known that the proper way to handle a gun is to get into a car, almost run someone over, and then shoot them dead

And then assault their sister

Times like this I wish I could smoke weed again to calm my rage. But I remember it's better to use the anger for a creative outlet.

"We admit we did nothing wrong...here's six million dollars" is some bullshit. But nothing will be done to change police culture, their training, or hiring practices. The thin blue line only gets thinner.

Fuck America.

BriGuy

That letter is pretty offensive. I hope the Rice family takes a portion of that settlement and uses it to fund a superbowl ad to highlight how callous and tone-deaf the Cleveland PD have been. The "harm" came from the complete lack of judgment exercised by your officer, not anything Tamir Rice did.

Kettch

Should be noted, once again, that Ohio is an open carry state. Gotta educate those
black
youth of Cleveland that these laws will never apply to them though!

The culture of policing took centuries to "perfect". You think reforms and awareness videos would actually work? The problems with policing are systemic and far reaching.

I agree that the problems with policing are systemic and far reaching but if the majority of people wanted the justice system to change it would but because as whole they do not things will stay the way they are.

As for the Tamir Rice case settlement it is so sad that people can arbitrarily put a number on what they think someone's life was worth. Sure the money will help his family but they will never get to see or talk to their son, brother, etc. again. No amount money can make that sort of loss go away.

User 406

Banned
I'm a Cleveland resident and tax payer, and this is not nearly god damn enough. If people want to whine about their taxes being used for settlement money for horrible injustices perpetrated by the government they elected, maybe they should put more political priority on correcting the systemic problems that caused those injustices in the first place.

Yeah no, the most important thing is to evaluate the training and the psychology. Anyone who can't shoot worth a damn or is unreliably trigger happy in ALL scenarios need to be moved elsewhere or let go altogether.

I mean, they are still a public service. If the public by and large think they're mostly dangerous, then they should have some power in changing the way they police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom