• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Football 2013 - The catchall thread

Saturday is fine but it will have to be later in the day. I imagine beyond the weekend there will be too many conflicts

That's fine with me, just announce when. I mentioned Monday as well since it's a holiday but some of you might not have that off now that I think about it.

mernst23

Are people really that sour on Arian losing half the carries to Tate this year? Seems like he's slipping in all of my drafts.

Don't know how anyone can take spiller over arian, he's going to get crushed at the line and there's potential for just as much of a timeshare with Fjax.

Are people really that sour on Arian losing half the carries to Tate this year? Seems like he's slipping in all of my drafts.

Foster paranoia has gone way too far. We know how the Texans offense works, and it always goes: Foster, then Andre, then god knows what else. Tate is certainly a good backup but even in his most productive year he was just Foster's breather. It's fun to entertain other ideas but Kubiak knows how to keep his job and that involves Foster masking any problems in the passing game.

Don't know how anyone can take spiller over arian, he's going to get crushed at the line and there's potential for just as much of a timeshare with Fjax.

Fantasy folks are convinced that the Bills gameplan is for Spiller to get almost every carry, with Fjax sleeping soundly in a retirement home.

I think Spiller is a fine first round pick. Getting the unquestioned #1 work means he is going to be a lot more valuable. But he's equally injury-vulnerable to Foster and FJax is certainly a more experienced high-end backup.

Sent you a PM, but also check your spam folder.

Still waiting on 5 people to join. I'm going to move the draft to Saturday evening. 7 EDT

Thank you, much appreciated! I need to come up with a team name. Let me know if you guys can think of any awesome names associated with the Cardinals. I thought about "Ready for Teddy" but that seems overly pessimistic before the first game has even been played haha

squicken

We've got our 10 teams now. I've randomized the draft order, and it gave me first pick. 2 leagues, 2 first picks. Living Right

Foster paranoia has gone way too far. We know how the Texans offense works, and it always goes: Foster, then Andre, then god knows what else. Tate is certainly a good backup but even in his most productive year he was just Foster's breather. It's fun to entertain other ideas but Kubiak knows how to keep his job and that involves Foster masking any problems in the passing game.
Coach Gary Kubiak confirmed Arian Foster will not receive a full workload in Week 1 against the Chargers.

Overworked the past three seasons, Foster will be eased into the 2013 campaign after failing to take a single preseason carry. "Obviously I don't think Arian's going to be a 30-carry guy on opening night," Kubiak said. Foster could still prove RB2-worthy on 15-17 attempts, assuming Ben Tate handles the rest of the workload. The Texans open the season against the Chargers next week.
Go draft an injury hit, declining YAC,overworked back early in the 1st guys!

Go draft an injury hit, declining YAC,overworked back early in the 1st guys!

Andre Brown tears from Frankman?! Shock. Have you had your draft yet?

2012 Game 1: 26 carries, 79yds, 2 TD
Finished season: 1600+yds, 17TD

2011 Game 3 (missed basically two games prior): 30 carries, 155yds, 1TD
Finished season: 1800+yds, 12TD

I'll stick with the clear leader in one of the game's top rushing attacks, thanks. Hell, Stephania Bell had now said multiple times on ESPN that she believes the top 10 backs all have equal injury risk right now. Foster at least has the sense to manage it LDT-style.

I just thought of "Hanging Without Mr Cooper" for my team name but I think I'd shed a tear internally every time I managed my roster.

Andre Brown tears from Frankman?! Shock. Have you had your draft yet?

2012 Game 1: 26 carries, 79yds, 2 TD
Finished season: 1600+yds, 17TD

2011 Game 3 (missed basically two games prior): 30 carries, 155yds, 1TD
Finished season: 1800+yds, 12TD

I'll stick with the clear leader in one of the game's top rushing attacks, thanks. Hell, Stephania Bell had now said multiple times on ESPN that she believes the top 10 backs all have equal injury risk right now. Foster at least has the sense to manage it LDT-style.
I believe in value-based drafting, and I'll take the guy with the fewer red flags, thank you very much. I'm drafting ADP/Charles/Martin/Spiller/Lynch/Rice/McCoy/Hot Dog Guy (shows good burst) ahead of Foster. Pianowski puts it best:

Nonetheless, there are some worrisome trends on the stat page. Foster's average per rush has dropped the last two years, from 4.9 to 4.4 to 4.1. His pass-catching efficiency is also in a fall: it moved from 11.6 in 2011 to 5.4 last year. The Texans gave Foster a league-high 351 carries last year, a number we have to take seriously. And Foster hasn't been completely healthy this summer, either.

There's one other annoying thing about a Foster pick: it might force your hand with a Ben Tate handcuff, and that's seldom cheap. You want to throw upside out the window with two hands? Draft a pair of running backs from the same team in the first half (or third) of your dance. Not recommended, amigos.

When the first round comes calling, I'm driven by floor over upside. I don't need a home-run, I just want to get on base. I want safety as much as I can find it (I know, in tackle football, anyone can get hurt at any time). Foster's red flags push me off the case.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hi NFL-GAF. I'm participating in a fantasy football league for the first time in about 15 years. I'm pretty out of touch with football but this is one of those work things. My VP asked me to play in it so I really didn't have much of a choice. That said I do hope to have fun with this but I would love to have your help too NFL-GAF.

So first things first how did I do with my first draft in 15 years?

a7itLHl.png

Rhaegar

Looking to get two more teams in my 10 team H2H PPR league on Yahoo. League has been together for 12 years and I've been commish the whole time. Good group of guys, no money on the line but a lot of pride in winning. Draft is this Monday at 4:15 pacific time. If anyone is interested, please PM me with your email address and I'll send out an invite. Hope to see some Gaffers join!

I believe in value-based drafting, and I'll take the guy with the fewer red flags, thank you very much.

That's not VBD; these are all first round guys. You're just taking one opinion over another, which is fine, minus the salty reply. There are pretty obvious holes in all of them past AP.

Charles: Brand new coach and offense. Has never had 8 rushing TDs.
Spiller: Brand new QB. History of timeshare with Fred Jackson when offense fails.
Richardson: Injury history. Browns. Weeden. Norv.
McCoy: Brand new coach and offense. Turbulent QB situation. Backup has proven more than capable.
Martin: Huge percentage of his season scoring came from Raiders game. Requires believing in Freeman taco power.
Lynch: Periodic back spasms. Replacement waiting in the wings.
Rice: Last season statistically his worst for yards. Backup waiting. Offense and defense underdoing change.
Foster: Capable backup. Did not play preseason.

Foster certainly has been used a lot, but unlike just about everyone on that list, his offense is not being completely overhauled. We've seen him recover from injury, we've seen him play in temporary tandems. We also can guarantee the Texans will run first. That's a pretty big dose of safety.

That being said, I think Berry has it right in that if you have #1, you're taking Peterson, and after that you can take your pick from a large group of backs and any of them could be right. In predicted value there is very little different from #2 through #10.

WhatRobEats said:

How many teams is this?

1. Drop the backup kicker. You should always draft a kicker last unless you have some crazy bonus scoring. If nothing else find some RB sleeper for a week.
2. You're hurting badly at RB. McFadden is injury prone and DeAngelo is sometimes the third rushing option. Your only backup is a backup.
3. You have two (!!) backup QBs. Most players with Rodgers have no need to draft even a 2nd QB because you'll never bench him. So you'll want to deal either Rodgers or Kaepernick.

Hi NFL-GAF. I'm participating in a fantasy football league for the first time in about 15 years. I'm pretty out of touch with football but this is one of those work things. My VP asked me to play in it so I really didn't have much of a choice. That said I do hope to have fun with this but I would love to have your help too NFL-GAF.

So first things first how did I do with my first draft in 15 years?

a7itLHl.png

Honestly you made every mistake someone who doesn't play fantasy would haha Lets see if we can help out. First off, RB's are the most important position to have elite talent at in a standard league and you have a guy that misses much of the season regularly and another that is bench quality. Secondly, there is absolutely no reason to draft 3 QBs and 2 Kickers! Also you could be stronger at TE.

The good news is that you have two very desirable QBs in Rodgers and Kap. Keep one and trade the other to someone who has an abundance of top RBs but a lower level QB. Depending how desperate the guy is to upgrade his QB (or foolish), you can either try to squeeze them for two good RBs or if they won't do that, get a good RB and a better TE.

I like your WR's, Dez especially, and you will have a good QB, obviously. You have a good D and kicker so if you can just shore up your RB's and TE you should be in good shape.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
How many teams is this?

1. Drop the backup kicker. You should always draft a kicker last unless you have some crazy bonus scoring. If nothing else find some RB sleeper for a week.
2. You're hurting badly at RB. McFadden is injury prone and DeAngelo is sometimes the third rushing option. Your only backup is a backup.
3. You have two (!!) backup QBs. Most players with Rodgers have no need to draft even a 2nd QB because you'll never bench him. So you'll want to deal either Rodgers or Kaepernick.

Honestly you made every mistake someone who doesn't play fantasy would haha Lets see if we can help out. First off, RB's are the most important position to have elite talent at in a standard league and you have a guy that misses much of the season regularly and another that is bench quality. Secondly, there is absolutely no reason to draft 3 QBs and 2 Kickers! Also you could be stronger at TE.

The good news is that you have two very desirable QBs in Rodgers and Kap. Keep one and trade the other to someone who has an abundance of top RBs but a lower level QB. Depending how desperate the guy is to upgrade his QB (or foolish), you can either try to squeeze them for two good RBs or if they won't do that, get a good RB and a better TE.

I like your WR's, Dez especially, and you will have a good QB, obviously. You have a good D and kicker so if you can just shore up your RB's and TE you should be in good shape.

Thanks for the insight. It's a 10 team league. I had the misfortune of picking second to last in the draft. I after drafting Rodgers first and Dez Bryant second I realized my mistake rather quickly when I went to the running backs tab and everyone worth anything was already gone. Rookie mistake not to draft running backs first for sure.

My rationale for picking the QB's that I did was with the intention to trade them. I got Kaepernick in the 5th round and Palmer way down in round 11 or something. I really don't have a clue why I got two kickers in hindsight that was a pretty dumb move when I could have just picked one up while my kicker was on a bye week.

I just need to figure out how to put players on the trading block through NFL.com. I'll be desperately trying to get an elite running back. At least with DeAngelo Williams he should be starting since Jonathan Stewart is out the first half of the season with an injury. I really didn't like having to pick McFadden but he was the best of the worst available for me.

Thanks again for the suggestions. As you can see I desperately need the help!

Thanks for the insight. It's a 10 team league. I had the misfortune of picking second to last in the draft. I after drafting Rodgers first and Dez Bryant second I realized my mistake rather quickly when I went to the running backs tab and everyone worth anything was already gone. Rookie mistake not to draft running backs first for sure.

My rationale for picking the QB's that I did was with the intention to trade them. I got Kaepernick in the 5th round and Palmer way down in round 11 or something. I really don't have a clue why I got two kickers in hindsight that was a pretty dumb move when I could have just picked one up while my kicker was on a bye week.

I just need to figure out how to put players on the trading block through NFL.com. I'll be desperately trying to get an elite running back. At least with DeAngelo Williams he should be starting since Jonathan Stewart is out the first half of the season with an injury. I really didn't like having to pick McFadden but he was the best of the worst available for me.

Thanks again for the suggestions. As you can see I desperately need the help!
No worries, I too took Rodgers with my first pick the very first time I played FF. You learn a lot over time. I've also in a previous year snatched a second top QB with the intention of fleecing someone but sometimes everyone is a stingy ass hole that won't even give you a remotely decent deal so you end up being stuck with them and then you've wasted a pick you could have used on a valuable starter. Yep, a second kicker shouldn't be picked up until your bye week hits and the same for a second D, you can just pick whoever has the best match up and get quality points but you didn't make that mistake. McFadden could be a good RB2 if he can just stay healthy...but he never does so best to cover your ass.

I doubt they are still available, but are either Jared Cook or Jordan Cameron on your FA wire? Both are TEs if you aren't familiar with them. If either are, drop your backup kicker for him.

That's not VBD; these are all first round guys. You're just taking one opinion over another, which is fine, minus the salty reply. There are pretty obvious holes in all of them past AP.

Charles: Brand new coach and offense. Has never had 8 rushing TDs.
Spiller: Brand new QB. History of timeshare with Fred Jackson when offense fails.
Richardson: Injury history. Browns. Weeden. Norv.
McCoy: Brand new coach and offense. Turbulent QB situation. Backup has proven more than capable.
Martin: Huge percentage of his season scoring came from Raiders game. Requires believing in Freeman taco power.
Lynch: Periodic back spasms. Replacement waiting in the wings.
Rice: Last season statistically his worst for yards. Backup waiting. Offense and defense underdoing change.
It's absolutely value-based. Are you getting the best value you can in the 1st Risk/Reward-wise by taking Foster over those guys? That's just too much risk IMHO for guys who can put up as good/better numbers... you are really shortchanging alot of backs there.

That brand new coach and offense for Jamal may pass alot, but that means Charles is going to get a ton of receptions. Plus let's face it, his previous coach was a moron who never ran him the rock. Bills have committed to running Spiller out there, and by all indicators he should be able to handle a bigger workload. Martin is a solid runner with a high floor being a 3-down back. McCoy is in line for a huge year in that O and with a rejuvenated Vick/healthy O-Line. T-Rich looks better than last year and even Weeden is excelling in Norv's spread O. Lynch does have a red flag due to his physical style, but in that O you take a risk. Rice benefits from the loss of Pitta and is looking at more receptions.

If you're bringing up his back spasms what does that say about Foster? He had a back injury that radiated pain to his legs... Hell, the coach has already said that dreaded T-word (timeshare) for the first 2-3 weeks, and the plan to scale his workload back overall for the year. Considering he's been a fantastic volume back with a more than capable backup, can he bring returns similar to previous years with less volume? If I'm looking at reasons not to draft RBs in the 1st round Foster has too many to ignore.

firen

Starters
  • Tony Romo [QB] NYG
  • David Wilson [RB] @DAL
  • Darren Sproles [RB] ATL
  • Anquan Boldin [WR] GB
  • Dez Bryant [WR] NYG
  • Antonio Gates [TE] HOU
  • Phil Dawson [K] GB
  • Arizon Cardinals [DEF] @STL
Bench
  • John Bowenkamp [QB] @DET <--- accident
  • Colin Kaepernick [QB] GB
  • Danny Woodhead [RB] HOU
  • Arian Foster [RB] @SD
  • Sidney Rice [WR] @CAR
  • Mike Williams [WR] @CAR
  • Brent Celek [TE] @WAS

Opinions guys? Any starters I should switch out?

I think you've got it right for this week. GB D is garbo and Kap could go off but Romo and Dez are a hell of a lot more proven than Kap Boldin at this point. Romo is the safer pick for week 1 and you'll be able to see how Kap does and adjust according as the season plays out. There is tape on Kap and Russel now so it will be interesting to see how defenses adjust and how that impacts their success this year.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm not any good at ff, but I'll just point this out from the last time the 9er's and Packers played.

Code:
Passing	CP/AT	YDS	TD	INT
C. Kaepernick	17/31	263	2	1
Rushing	ATT	YDS	TD	LG
C. Kaepernick	16	181	2	56

firen

I think you've got it right for this week. GB D is garbo and Kap could go off but Romo and Dez are a hell of a lot more proven than Kap Boldin at this point. Romo is the safer pick for week 1 and you'll be able to see how Kap does and adjust according as the season plays out. There is tape on Kap and Russel now so it will be interesting to see how defenses adjust and how that impacts their success this year.

That's what I was thinking as well. Also, as far as I understand Romo week 1 is pretty good.

I'm not any good at ff, but I'll just point this out from the last time the 9er's and Packers played.

Code:
Passing	CP/AT	YDS	TD	INT
Rushing	ATT	YDS	TD	LG

That's the dilemma I was having, I have no idea how Kaep will play with his new receivers but I know (sorta kinda) that Romo will play will with Dez.

Code:
Passing	CP/AT	YDS	TD	INT
Rushing	ATT	YDS	TD	LG

But how much of that was Crabtree? and now the Packers have tape on them and you bet your ass they are prepping hard for him this game. Again, not saying he won't have a good game against them but Romo is the safer pick for this week. Packer D is shite though so if you're really high on Kap, go for it.

QB- Peyton Manning
RB- Trent Richardson
RB- DeAngelo Williams
WR- Wes Welker
WR- James Jones
TE- Antonio Gates
Flex- Sidney Rice
D/ST- Bucs
K- Matt Bryant

QB- Matt Ryan
Bench- Andre Brown
Bench- Golden Tate
Bench- Kendall Wright
Bench- Packers D/ST
Bench- Sebastian Janikowski
Bench- Brent Celek

squicken

That's what I was thinking as well. Also, as far as I understand Romo week 1 is pretty good.

That's the dilemma I was having, I have no idea how Kaep will play with his new receivers but I know (sorta kinda) that Romo will play will with Dez.

I would play Romo. The Giants D was iffy last year and I'm not sure how they are better this year. I think either guy is a safe play, but GB should have a better pass defense of the two teams

The guy took the trade. I traded Doug Martin, RGIII, and Fitzgerald for Eli Manning, TY Hilton, and Peterson. So now my team looks like:

QB Luck
RB Peterson
RB Forte
WR D. Thomas
WR Bowe
TE Olsen
FLEX Chris Johnson

Defense Cowboys
Kicker M. Bryant

Bench

Lacy
C Shorts
TY Hilton
Garcon
M Bush (handcuffed to Forte)
Eli Manning

I know he's going to turn right around and trade Brees (Brees was his starting QB prior to the trade) or RGIII, but if my team stays healthy I am going to slay. I'm not convinced that RGIII can stay healthy and Luck is going to be a top five fantasy QB this year. So I think I got away like a bandit because of my RB depth.

UraMallas

My draft played thusly:

0AwXLw2.jpg

According to you guys I should get rid of my second defense until needed and maybe be looking for a better QB?

Bread

Banned
Ok just finished my first draft (one more wednesday)

had first pick, 12 team league

QB Matt Stafford
RB1 Adrian Peterson
RB2 Maurice Jones Drew
WR1 Larry Fitzgerald
WR2 Hakeem Nicks
WR/RB/TE Reggie Wayne
TE Owen Daniels
D/ST Baltimore
K Matt Prater

Bench
Antonio Brown
Greg Jennings
Joique Bell
Ben Roethlisberger
Mike Tolbert
Reuben Randle

I think I did a pretty good job. The team has a lot of potential, but a few guys who could get hurt and the team could crash and burn. Really low RB depth, but I did the best I could with what was available at my picks. I didn't feel comfortable reaching down for any crappy RBs with such solid WRs on the table.

Top Bottom