• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

AndyD

aka andydumi
I tried it last night and its as good as the disc version was that I noticed in the bit of playing I did. Game is a few years old but I would not call it Dreamcast level by any stretch of the imagination. Its a very good looking open world game for its age.

Well I was looking at my blocky, textureless yellow car outside the first safehouse I acquire. Looked not so this gen. Maybe a texture loading issue but everything seemed lacking. I'm going to youtube it to see what's up.

AndyD

aka andydumi
There are quite a few bugs, and some texture issues that crop up. Unfortunately a lot of stuff never got fixed/patched on consoles. But in general its not a bad looking game for 2008.

Well I was looking at my blocky, textureless yellow car outside the first safehouse I acquire. Looked not so this gen. Maybe a texture loading issue ...

Nah, I know what you mean, yeah that's just how they look.

Overall the graphics are definitely spotty when closely examined, but I think the lighting engine saves the day. Game looks great most of the time, imo.

Finally re-installed it (based solely on an Idle Thumbs reference) after not really giving it much of a shot at launch. More accurately, I gave up on it out of frustration. The checkpoints, the seemingly rote health/auto maintenance hooks, etc...

But it all just clicked for me today. 6 hours just fell off the face of the earth, and I'm already fiending to jump back in. I can't explain why - though figuring out the DX10 micro-stuttering bullshit did go a long way.

This may very well end up becoming my 2012 2008 GOTY runner-up behind GTAIV, and that's saying a lot, y'all.

Just popped this in again a couple of nights ago in anticipation of FC3. I never finished it back in the day and since then started a couple of new games with different characters. It's been almost 2 years since I've messed around with it.

MAN - I LOVE THIS GAME! I know it's not without it's issues which have undoubtedly been discussed in this thread ad nauseam but it’s easily among the most immersive gaming experiences I’ve ever had. I really cannot wait for the third instalment. So glad that I decided to pick this up again – it’s going to be in my disc tray for a long while to come.

Neonglitz

Banned
People have underrated this awesome game!. I stayed away from it reading some other peoples comments. But after spending hours in this game I think its better than farcry 3 & far better than original farcry.

RedSwirl

Stick with the crossbow or try to get the MGL-140? After that and its upgrades I'd be done buying things for the rest of the game, so no more need for assassination or convoy missions.

Seanspeed

Banned
People have underrated this awesome game!. I stayed away from it reading some other peoples comments. But after spending hours in this game I think its better than farcry 3 & far better than original farcry.
It really is a unique creature that many of us absolutely loved.

FC3 really dropped much of what made the game so fulfilling. The interesting setting was gone, replaced by a 'seen a million times' tropical setting. All sorts of 'game-y' elements were added that litter the screen. Unnecessary RPG-like progression. Overboard collect-a-thons. Map was relegated to the menu again.

Basically, they tried to widen the appeal and took away much of what made FC2 special. I still enjoyed FC3 to a degree, but I will always hold FC2 in higher regard and worry we wont see a game like it again for a long while.

RedSwirl

It really is a unique creature that many of us absolutely loved.

FC3 really dropped much of what made the game so fulfilling. The interesting setting was gone, replaced by a 'seen a million times' tropical setting. All sorts of 'game-y' elements were added that litter the screen. Unnecessary RPG-like progression. Overboard collect-a-thons. Map was relegated to the menu again.

Basically, they tried to widen the appeal and took away much of what made FC2 special. I still enjoyed FC3 to a degree, but I will always hold FC2 in higher regard and worry we wont see a game like it again for a long while.

I still think FC3's biggest transgression was how linear it made the main missions. Doing objectives however you wanted was a big part of FC2's appeal for me.

And y'know, I see a lot of this game in the Metal Gear Solid V gameplay videos I've seen recently.

Top Bottom