• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 2 |OT| of Money, Diamonds, and Military Checkpoints

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I got the game a month ago or so, i loved it.... until the military checkpoints ruined the game for me. Its so annoying!

Far Cry 2 Game Features:
-Guns jam! (Too damn often)
-Random sickness
-Military checkpoint respawn every 10 minutes!
-BROOOOM(Car sound)

So yeah, all the 'innovative' design is based around the idea of annoying the player.

Sorry if the post is too negative. Its still a great game.

Ledsen

I'll add my two cents...

Fersis said:
I got the game a month ago or so, i loved it.... until the military checkpoints ruined the game for me. Its so annoying!

Far Cry 2 Game Features:
-Guns jam! (Too damn often) - You should really only use weapons from your own weapon shed, which means jamming basically never happens
-Random sickness - Only annoying in the very beginning, and is very infrequent, even more so as the game goes on
-Military checkpoint respawn every 10 minutes! - Agreed
-BROOOOM(Car sound) - Agreed

So yeah, all the 'innovative' design is based around the idea of annoying the player.

HoRNS456

Banned
I loved the game. Right up until the point that I reached a game ending bug. Then I waited 7 months for Ubisoft to patch the game only to find out the patch ONLY fixed new games and if you had already started your game you were sh!t out of luck. I was 35 hours into my game...

Suck it Ubisoft, not buying your games anymore. AC2 will be purchased used you f'ers...

Remember with the guard points, if you use your map you can skirt around them sometimes.

This was one of my favorite games of last year, I still load it up every now and then and just make my own objectives. Oh and the Fortunes Pack is expensive but the ATV is awesome as is the silenced shotgun and the crossbow.

clip

Fersis said:

Far Cry 2 Game Features:
-Guns jam! (Too damn often)
-Random sickness
-Military checkpoint respawn every 10 minutes!
-BROOOOM(Car sound)

Nothing you've mentioned is really what people cite as innovative in the game. It's all about non-linear story telling and emergent gameplay moments.

The-Warning said:
The biggest complaints people made were the respawning guard posts and overly sensitive enemy AI, which makes the slealth aspect too difficult. The game also gets repetitive after awhile and the traveling can become tedious.

Even with those flaws though, I enjoyed the game a lot and really got into the whole atmosphere, and when I got used to the stealth that became my favorite part of the game. Sneaking around enemy camps at night taking them out silently one by one never got old for me. I ended up putting about 50 hours into the game.

100% agree with this assessment.

I only put 25-30 hours into it, but overall its a very good game. Really did some ground breaking things that hasnt been done before, but its shortcomings break the game for a lot of people

Haeleos

Fersis said:
-BROOOOM(Car sound)

:lol It's hilarious I know the exact sound effect you're talking about. The sound effect doesn't even correspond to what's happening with the vehicle, and it breaks the immersion so hard in conjunction with the annoyance of the enemy car patrols. I imagine it's probably named car_aggro.wav or something.

I loved parts of the game, but yea, the bizarre design decisions really made it hard to put in the time and effort to play it to completion.

The BROOOM! sound never really bothered me, but I could never understand why every car would rev up like that as it was stopping.

Yeah that bothered me also. It was like the entire continent of Africa was after you. Especially that psycho in the shitty little car. As soon as he saw you he wanted you dead. DEAD! How does he even know who I am?

AndyD

aka andydumi
The-Warning said:
Yeah that bothered me also. It was like the entire continent of Africa was after you. Especially that psycho in the shitty little car. As soon as he saw you he wanted you dead. DEAD! How does he even know who I am?

LOL, so true.

This game to me felt like Assasins Creed 1. Weird AI, some crazy repetitiveness and questionable mechanics in an otherwise great setting and game foundation.

It looks like AC2 has fixed the main issues, so I hope Far Cry 3 does it as well.

RedStep

The atmosphere of this game is stunning at times. Riding a watercraft down the rivers never gets old.

It's too bad that the design decisions ruin it. I'm still slowly working through the 360 version. I always end up popping it in, doing a mission or two, then losing a ton of progress due to something stupid like getting run over. Then I quit and swear I'm gonna sell the game. I never work up the nerve to do it. I'm Far Cry 2's abused wife...

The-Warning said:

:lol :lol :lol

Truant

The-Warning said:

This is apparently how things are. Two norwegian guys got attacked while driving around in an African jungle this march.

Dead Man

RedStep said:
The atmosphere of this game is stunning at times. Riding a watercraft down the rivers never gets old.

It's too bad that the design decisions ruin it. I'm still slowly working through the 360 version. I always end up popping it in, doing a mission or two, then losing a ton of progress due to something stupid like getting run over. Then I quit and swear I'm gonna sell the game. I never work up the nerve to do it. I'm Far Cry 2's abused wife...
Yeah. I really wanted to like this game. As you say, the setting is great, they just ruined it with a shitty game! I returned mine after 2 days of trying to move around the map, no regrets except wishing Ubi had made a better game.

AndyD said:
No mods. They never released the mod tools.
That's such a damn shame. A couple of tweaks could've made it much more enjoyable for a lot of people.

I ended up circumventing the issue of everyone constantly wanting you dead by using a trainer and pretending they didn't. It was kind of a halfassed compromise to be honest.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
clip said:
Nothing you've mentioned is really what people cite as innovative in the game. It's all about non-linear story telling and emergent gameplay moments.
Fair enough.

BROOOOM!

This game is the classic ubisoft showcase of "great ambitious design, flawed execution". I got the game as a gift (holidays gift '08) and haven't been able to finish it yet. Sometimes I get lost in the jungles and savannas just looking for diamonds or scoping checkpoints or just fooling around, but then I get bored of the missions and the sterile lands and completely forget about the game. I want to finish the game -not because of the story, at this point- because it is really fun when it clicks and you're sneaking into an enemy camp or just driving around trying to lose some guerillas or whatever.

The missing hostile fauna (lions, crocs, tigers, etc) really hurts the game IMO. Hell, I get super happy whenever a deer runs in front of my car while speeding and I have to think fast to evade it (yeah, I'm stupid). I can only imagine how cool it would be if I had to take into consideration the crocodiles when sneaking into a swamp, or if a lion took away an injured enemy right in front of my eyes. I love driving while reading the map, it's super fun. I wish I could fire while driving, or at least throw grenades at pursuing enemies.

If I had more time right now I'd just wax poetic about what the game does good -because there really IS a lot of things the game does good-; and would go into detail on what my wishlist is for FarCry3, but right now I'll just say that this game is a good foundation to build upon. It just needs a more cohesive story (something to really make the player want to see it all through), some refinements here and there (checkpoints respawn time, enemy AI, weapon jamming/vehicle damage) and way more options to make it a better sandbox (climbing, hostile fauna, demolitions, destructible environments and a larger variety of weapons, vehicles and enemies).

Oh, and Ubisoft, next time? Have some actual support for your game. Your DLC pack and patches were basically a joke.

AndyD

aka andydumi
VibratingDonkey said:
That's such a damn shame. A couple of tweaks could've made it much more enjoyable for a lot of people.

I ended up circumventing the issue of everyone constantly wanting you dead by using a trainer and pretending they didn't. It was kind of a halfassed compromise to be honest.

I agree.

Even a well placed patch would have corrected the big shortcomigs.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
FunkyPajamas said:
This game is the classic ubisoft showcase of "great ambitious design, flawed execution". I got the game as a gift (holidays gift '08) and haven't been able to finish it yet. Sometimes I get lost in the jungles and savannas just looking for diamonds or scoping checkpoints or just fooling around, but then I get bored of the missions and the sterile lands and completely forget about the game. I want to finish the game -not because of the story, at this point- because it is really fun when it clicks and you're sneaking into an enemy camp or just driving around trying to lose some guerillas or whatever.

The missing hostile fauna (lions, crocs, tigers, etc) really hurts the game IMO. Hell, I get super happy whenever a deer runs in front of my car while speeding and I have to think fast to evade it (yeah, I'm stupid). I can only imagine how cool it would be if I had to take into consideration the crocodiles when sneaking into a swamp, or if a lion took away an injured enemy right in front of my eyes. I love driving while reading the map, it's super fun. I wish I could fire while driving, or at least throw grenades at pursuing enemies.

If I had more time right now I'd just wax poetic about what the game does good -because there really IS a lot of things the game does good-; and would go into detail on what my wishlist is for FarCry3, but right now I'll just say that this game is a good foundation to build upon. It just needs a more cohesive story (something to really make the player want to see it all through), some refinements here and there (checkpoints respawn time, enemy AI, weapon jamming/vehicle damage) and way more options to make it a better sandbox (climbing, hostile fauna, demolitions, destructible environments and a larger variety of weapons, vehicles and enemies).

Oh, and Ubisoft, next time? Have some actual support for your game. Your DLC pack and patches were basically a joke.
Kinda spoiler-ey, so I'll spoiler it just to be safe:

Farcry 2 needed the player to be the innitiator of the Yojimbo-ness of it, not the Jackal. I felt like the game would've worked out a lot better if the player was devious. I'm not sure how this could've been put across to the player, but I feel like it would've made the game much more rewarding.

I think that would've provided more cohesiveness. Aside from that, it probably would've been better if the checkpoints refreshed themselves twice an in-game day. Like, every in-game 12 hours or something. That would make it less frustrating and it'd feel more realistic.

The guard checkpoints HAD to respawn sooner or later. Otherwise there wouldn't be a challenge in travel after the 3 hour mark. Some of the firefights you can get into there are more intense than actual missions, especially around the gas stations.

I was dissapointed in mission repitition more than anything in the same locations over and over again but each time that happened I'd take a different tact.

I really hope that they get a 3rd game put together. Worldwide it did pretty well.

Fersis said:
That was kind of their goal, I think. Clint Hocking has said that (badly paraphrased here) one of the design goals was to have players find fun in having their plans go wrong and having to quickly recover from unexpected problems.

I don't know that the game really pulled it off in all cases -- the respawning guard posts weren't really unexpected, just repetitive. But the jamming weapons and malaria mixed things up fairly well, I thought, and were rare enough that they didn't get annoying.

AndyD said:
No mods. They never released the mod tools.
Such a shame. That engine has probably the most modding potential of any I've seen in recent times, and from what I've seen, they have a pretty solid set of tools with it.

Say what you will...this is a great game and I'm looking forward to popping it in again soon. The incredible atmosphere overrides all the flaws if you ask me. It's so much fun to just get lost in the world and, if you take your time, the checkpoints can be a lot of fun.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Warm Machine said:
The guard checkpoints HAD to respawn sooner or later. Otherwise there wouldn't be a challenge in travel after the 3 hour mark. Some of the firefights you can get into there are more intense than actual missions, especially around the gas stations.

I was dissapointed in mission repitition more than anything in the same locations over and over again but each time that happened I'd take a different tact.

I really hope that they get a 3rd game put together. Worldwide it did pretty well.

I dont think anyone disagrees. The problem is that in my experience they have a certain radius respawn, as soon as you step out they respawn. So you could actually fight them off then immediately step out/in of the bounds and they would have already respawned within seconds.

If they would have made the respawn clock 1 game day which is reasonable considering semi realistic logistics of re manning an outpost and that an in game day was not that long, the issue would have been far better.

Some speculated that the engine retains no permanence to the world except in the imediate vicinity of the player due to the console versions. Effectively everything you encounter was always fresh and there was no concept of "past" for non main story areas. Since the history of "I killed all the guys but one at outpost 23" was never retained, when you enter the proximity of the outpost the game simply generates a fresh outpost fully manned and equiped with barriers, cars...

AndyD said:
I dont think anyone disagrees. The problem is that in my experience they have a certain radius respawn, as soon as you step out they respawn. So you could actually fight them off then immediately step out/in of the bounds and they would have already respawned within seconds.

If they would have made the respawn clock 1 game day which is reasonable considering semi realistic logistics of re manning an outpost and that an in game day was not that long, the issue would have been far better.

I agree but I don't know much about programming so maybe that would have been really hard to do for a patch.

Well there's always Far Cry 3.

Truant said:
This is apparently how things are. Two norwegian guys got attacked while driving around in an African jungle this march.
are you referring to the asshole "security" company morons who are currently dying from malaria? in relation to farcry2 it's more like they were checkpoint douchebags

AndyD said:
Yeah, that would have been a perfect solution, about 1 or 2 in-game days would have been ideal. I would have added that the destruction the player caused in each checkpoint (gas stations blowing up, shacks and bunkers destroyed, bridges collapsing, that kind of stuff) would have added to the reconstruction/respawning time, but also to the reinforcements sent to the checkpoint (i.e. if you completely destroyed a checkpoint it would take longer to be set up again, but by the time it was done it would have a higher/more prepared force defending it). I don't know if that would be realistic from a programming/design point of view, but I think it would have made the game a bit better, adding an extra layer of strategy: do I blow this whole place up and risk a bigger/better armed response next time I drive through?

Also, seeing how driving is a HUGE part of the game, I would have added a special/hidden/super difficult mission to get an armored car. Like one of the jeeps you get later on, but armored so that it wouldn't break so fast and you could just zip through the checkpoints without having to worry so much. Might break the balance and make the game too easy, but that's why it would be a super secret hidden difficult mission.

MacBosse

Truant said:

You mean the two norwegian guys who shot the cab driver to death before they were arrested?

John

Got nine hours in, doing all the sidequests like I usually do, couldn't take it anymore. It did convince me that I should start recording my games, since I once had this AMAZING sequence where I planted a bomb, a truck rode right over it, I detonated it but it didn't explode, then while the truck was driving away I headshotted the driver through the back window from 150 meters away. His corpse teleported outside the driver's seat in the standing position and ragdoll'd to the ground.

methane47

Tried the game for the first time yesterday (PS3)

Anddd Multiplayer is a JOKE... its fun as hell but WTF...

I had a grenade launcher.... Shot TWO GRENADES at a dude... he wasn't even phased... the guy turns around and shoots me and I'm dead instantly... And I have a hard time believe it was lag because i was able to snipe people across the map with the machine gun...

One thing I was playing a map where i take capture points.. but there was no time indicator or anything to show what the objective was... How does that match finish?

Oh And the FOV is kinda distracting...

Didn't try single player yet.. so we'll see how that goes.

Former Stardock and current LightBox Interactive game designer Trent Polack recently wrote a rather extensive post detailing how Far Cry 2 is his game of the decade, in a game diary form. Good read.

AndyD said:
Some speculated that the engine retains no permanence to the world except in the imediate vicinity of the player due to the console versions.

I call BS on this. The memory required to track "important items" XYZ position, rotation, and their current state or lack thereof is minor even in a world as large as FC2.

Gorgon

Warm Machine said:
I call BS on this. The memory required to track "important items" XYZ position, rotation, and their current state or lack thereof is minor even in a world as large as FC2.

Pretty much. Not to mention that Fallout 3 tracked everything and had far more items and objetcs to keep track of than Farcry 2.

This game was simply marred by terrible, incompetent design decisions. The only thing that kept me goignt to the end was that the setting in itself was so fresh and I kind of liked the basic premise of the storyline (specially by beying a fan of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now). The rest was just dowright bad.

I'm still interested in seying Farcry 3, though, IF Ubi corrects every one of the major gripes I have with FC2.

eshwaaz

Gorgon said:
Pretty much. Not to mention that Fallout 3 tracked everything and had far more items and objetcs to keep track of than Farcry 2.

This game was simply marred by terrible, incompetent design decisions. The only thing that kept me goignt to the end was that the setting in itself was so fresh and I kind of liked the basic premise of the storyline (specially by beying a fan of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now). The rest was just dowright bad.

I'm still interested in seying Farcry 3, though, IF Ubi corrects every one of the major gripes I have with FC2.

Ubisoft did a great job of addressing every major flaw in Assassin's Creed 2, making good on the amazing potential established in the first game. If they do the same with Far Cry 3, it will be a truly mind-blowing game.

Peronthious said:
Former Stardock and current LightBox Interactive game designer Trent Polack recently wrote a rather extensive post detailing how Far Cry 2 is his game of the decade, in a game diary form. Good read.
Interesting, I've always thought one of the strengths of this game was how random and crazy the gunfights could get. Yes this game had flaws but for me it was easy to overlook them. This was one of my favorite games of last year and I still load it up every now and then.

Would it be really hard for Ubi to fix the problems, well my problems that I had with the game?

-Replace the checkpoints with enemies with their own base camps, small or big, just like in FC2.

-AI can be a bit cheap. Fix it so they can't see you from a mile away and that they don't have super hearing.

-More engaging plot. Make the characters feel more important and a worthy plot with some awesome music, like from Blood Diamond or something.

That's really it. FC2 is still the most atmospheric game this generation.

Gorgon

eshwaaz said:
Ubisoft did a great job of addressing every major flaw in Assassin's Creed 2, making good on the amazing potential established in the first game. If they do the same with Far Cry 3, it will be a truly mind-blowing game.

Yes, I hope so, because the game did have a lot of potential.

Would it be really hard for Ubi to fix the problems, well my problems that I had with the game?

-Replace the checkpoints with enemies with their own base camps, small or big, just like in FC2.

-AI can be a bit cheap. Fix it so they can't see you from a mile away and that they don't have super hearing.

-More engaging plot. Make the characters feel more important and a worthy plot with some awesome music, like from Blood Diamond or something.

That's really it. FC2 is still the most atmospheric game this generation.

Unfortunately for me the game had far more problems than that:

1) the gameplay area is supposed to represent a country. Where the fuck are the civilians? It would have been just better to say that the game area was a small wilder area of coutry instead. As it it it fails miserably and kills your suspension of disbilief.

2) The only people who drive in this country is you and your anemies. No one else uses roads or rivers, it seems.

3) The inhabitants of this country exist for the sole purpose of killing you. They don't need to know or identify you, you just drive a car, a boat or walk and they shoot you on sight.

4) Every weapon works well as long as you're not the one using it. If you kill an enemy and pick up his weapon it magically turns rusty.

5) Ultra-anoying respawining. No need to talk about this again.

6) Save-houses would have been more useful if you could fast-travel to them. That would have helped make the respawn more bearable. As it is I only used them to save when I had to quit the game and barely for anything else. I never went out of my way to unlock one unless it was near my path. There was no real incentive.

7) There were other drivers after all! Convoys! These convoys pop up into existence when you accept a side mission. In itself thats not THAT bad. It's bad, however, when those convoys are just running in circles waiting for you to destroy them. Pathetic.

8) I could barely enjoy the vistas in this game without beying shot from 5 miles away. Not cool.

And so on and so on. This is just some stuff out of my head. It was a decent game, but suffered way to much from poor design. The biggest problem for me was that, as a free-raoming sandbox game the world that Ubi created was extremely poorly designed. If you don't know how to create a country/area that feels alive and that doesn't kill the player's suspension of disbilief, then DON'T DO IT.

Truant

MacBosse said:
You mean the two norwegian guys who shot the cab driver to death before they were arrested?
I've been following this case pretty closely and I am 100% certain they did not kill him. The evidence for their innocence is just too strong. They're basically the victims of a huge scam. I don't think anyone would call them guilty if you paid any attention to the trial.

Dabanton

Peronthious said:

Game of the decade? Ok then.

It has the makings of a excellent game but somewhere,somehow things went very wrong looking at old FC2 videos where we had things like wounding an enemy to draw others in before blowing them up to something as simple as fixing the speed of the spoken dialogue which i still can't believe Ubi let through it takes any sort of drama out of the game with these speeded up comical conversations.

If their is a third game i hope the team sat down and absolutely picked part 2 apart as it was ambitious but then just faltered under the strain.

I mean look at stuff like checkpoints,are you telling me that every checkpoint would open fire immediately why not allow a few that i can bribe or that will give me the once over like at the beginning of the game when your in the cab,in fact why if you travel by bus you never get attacked? I know it skips ahead but you must pass through checkpoints what's the difference?

Very disappointing game.

I would say Far Cry 2 (or I guess 3) has the potential to be my favorite shooter. There are just a lot of problems I have with it, like the poor AI and terrain (no real shortcuts, large hills impossible to pass used often, etc.) The story stuff, mostly the voice acting and writing, doesn't matter much to me. It is one of my favorite shooters, and easily the most memorable ones. I like how after a year I can still tell stories of shoot outs or just cool random events that occured. I can barely care about situations in most shooters, including MW2, Uncharted 2, and uh, in general most shooters. Seeing the transition from Assassin's Creed 1 to Assassin's Creed 2, I can only hope that FC3 has a similar jump in quality. (for reference sake, I thought AC1 was a really flawed but intersting game; AC2 is not only my favorite game this year, but this gen and maybe all time.)

And the only problem with guard towers and encountering enemies on the map is that they just try and kill you right away.

Gorgon

Linkzg said:
...and terrain (no real shortcuts, large hills impossible to pass used often, etc.) .

That's because the game is designed like a corridor shooter, except that the walls are unsurpassable mountains and the sky is the ceiling. Everything else is there, the game basically forces you to shoot respawining enemies barricated in these unavoidable corridors.

Ledsen

I always love me some good Far Cry 2 discussion :)

Gorgon said:
Yes, I hope so, because the game did have a lot of potential.

Unfortunately for me the game had far more problems than that:

1) the gameplay area is supposed to represent a country. Where the fuck are the civilians? It would have been just better to say that the game area was a small wilder area of coutry instead. As it it it fails miserably and kills your suspension of disbilief.

2) The only people who drive in this country is you and your anemies. No one else uses roads or rivers, it seems.

3) The inhabitants of this country exist for the sole purpose of killing you. They don't need to know or identify you, you just drive a car, a boat or walk and they shoot you on sight.

None of these were problems for me. I simply accepted the fact that I was alone in hostile territory and that everyone would shoot me on sight as the premise of the game. It doesn't hurt the fundamental gameplay as long as you accept that premise. It seems strange at first when contrasted with the opening sequence, and I do hope they address it in the sequel, but it never influenced my overall opinion of the game.

4) Every weapon works well as long as you're not the one using it. If you kill an enemy and pick up his weapon it magically turns rusty.

You're not supposed to use enemies weapons that much, and you don't really need to. That's why you get unlimited weapon spawns (for weapons you bought) at safehouses, which this also adresses your concern about not getting any incentive to unlock said safehouses.

5) Ultra-anoying respawining. No need to talk about this again.

I think everyone agrees with you on that one.

7) There were other drivers after all! Convoys! These convoys pop up into existence when you accept a side mission. In itself thats not THAT bad. It's bad, however, when those convoys are just running in circles waiting for you to destroy them. Pathetic.

I didn't even notice this until someone told me, to be honest. I had too much fun blowing them up to notice that they weren't actually moving in a realistic manner. I can understand the complaint if you really focused on it, but it's still a very small part of the game.

8) I could barely enjoy the vistas in this game without beying shot from 5 miles away. Not cool.

Not true at all. Yes, the enemies have very long (too long) line of sight, but generally you don't encounter them outside the vicinity of a checkpoint (except the annoying jeeps, but they don't snipe you from 200 m away).

And so on and so on. This is just some stuff out of my head. It was a decent game, but suffered way to much from poor design. The biggest problem for me was that, as a free-raoming sandbox game the world that Ubi created was extremely poorly designed. If you don't know how to create a country/area that feels alive and that doesn't kill the player's suspension of disbilief, then DON'T DO IT.

To me, that's exactly what they succeeded in doing, better than any developer has ever done before. It's the most atmospheric game I've ever played, and probably the only game that's ever made me feel like I was an actual part of the game world. To me the whole of Far Cry 2 can be summed up in two words: choice, and immersion. Choice, because there is an endless number of ways you can tackle each mission, making them all unique and incredibly fun to play. This is partly due to the variety in weapon choice you have, and partly due to the environments. This ties in to the immersion part. Because the world is so masterfully crafted, each encounter because unique simple because it takes place in a different area than any other encounter. Who can, to take one of the more striking examples, forget the small town hanging on to the edge of a cliff in the middle of the Savannah? To me the world is so interesting that I have no problem walking around for hours, simply admiring the environments and immersing myself in the atmosphere of the game. That, to me, is what makes Far Cry 2 such a masterpiece.

Gorgon

Ledsen:

I understand your personal take. However different people see and expect different things from a game. Somethings may bother me and not bother you, etc. For me the game constantly killed my suspension of disbilief, and that's bad when I have a great love for sandbox games. FC2 simply didn't feel believable, and that is a very important factor for me. The game just felt too "gamey" for my tastes.

However it's fine that you liked it. At least you enjoyed the money spent far more than I did!

Ledsen

Gorgon said:
Ledsen:

I understand your personal take. However different people see and expect different things from a game. Somethings may bother me and not bother you, etc. For me the game constantly killed my suspension of disbilief, and that's bad when I have a great love for sandbox games. FC2 simply didn't feel believable, and that is a very important factor for me. The game just felt too "gamey" for my tastes.

However it's fine that you liked it. At least you enjoyed the money spent far more than I did!

That's exactly the conclusion I've come to in regards to this game. Some people are really bothered by some specific things, to the point where the whole game is ruined for them. The people who don't really care about those things (or learn to live with them), like me, often love the hell out of the game. It's extremely polarizing.

Ding

Dabanton said:

It has the makings of a excellent game but somewhere,somehow things went very wrong looking at old FC2 videos where we had things like wounding an enemy to draw others in before blowing them up[...]
What? Did they take that out of your copy of the game? I used that trick quite a bit. (Kneecap a guy with a silenced weapon, and then slaughter his compatriots one by one as they respond to his cries.)

Far Cry 2 was an excellent game. Full stop. It wasn't perfect, but no game is.

I recently beat the game. I had my gun jam maybe 6 times in that entire playthough. Half of those were in the last hour. A total non-issue. I had a malaria attack at an dangerously inconvenient time precisely once. Yes, vehicles loudly rev up before their drivers exit. Shocking. Calling any of those things a game-breaking flaw is laughable, IMO.

The checkpoints were annoying though.

Dabanton said:

It has the makings of a excellent game but somewhere,somehow things went very wrong looking at old FC2 videos where we had things like wounding an enemy to draw others in before blowing them up to something as simple as fixing the speed of the spoken dialogue which i still can't believe Ubi let through it takes any sort of drama out of the game with these speeded up comical conversations.

If their is a third game i hope the team sat down and absolutely picked part 2 apart as it was ambitious but then just faltered under the strain.

I mean look at stuff like checkpoints,are you telling me that every checkpoint would open fire immediately why not allow a few that i can bribe or that will give me the once over like at the beginning of the game when your in the cab,in fact why if you travel by bus you never get attacked? I know it skips ahead but you must pass through checkpoints what's the difference?

Very disappointing game.

Something tells me you didn't even bother to read what the man wrote.

I'd say the narrative he gave, if that's what does it for you, certainly does make it a game of the decade.

I must be defective in some way. I didn't have any issues with the checkpoints in FC2, nor with the elevators in Mass Effect.

Gorgon said:
That's because the game is designed like a corridor shooter, except that the walls are unsurpassable mountains and the sky is the ceiling. Everything else is there, the game basically forces you to shoot respawining enemies barricated in these unavoidable corridors.
Have you ever played a Call of Duty game? And you're calling this a corridor shooter?!

Top Bottom