• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Nizz

DF needs to hurry with their Face-Off, I need this game ASAP.
I'm also really interested to see the results of this one. I remember FC2 looking and running well on PS3, and in that 45 minute walkthrough posted here earlier FC3 looked in good shape as well.

Ledsen

Because it cuts through better looking games like butter.

Far Cry 3 seems to be doing a whole lot of awesome stuff, looks good, and it's open world. But I have no doubt that 1080p with no AA should net more than an average of 30fps on a 570 GTX. I don't have anything to back that up other than owning a 570 GTX and expecting more :p.

Not many games use this type of highly demanding AO, for example. But from the AA framerates, they might be doing something weird there... Maybe driver forced AA will Work better?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not many games use this type of highly demanding AO, for example. But from the AA framerates, they might be doing something weird there... Maybe driver forced AA will Work better?

Well, none of the footage I've seen so far seems to implement AO better than any other AO heavy game I've played. If anything it's worse, as evident by the buggy detection. Like I said in the other thread though, this could be one of those games where the SSAO quality filter is cranked to completely absurd levels of extreme with little to no visual difference yet at the expense of performance. Kind of like turning up Amnesia's SSAO sampling to stupid high.

legacyzero

Banned
Yeah, I'm downsampling, so that should handle an ok amount of the cleanup work.

Might be able to get by with 2xAA hopefully.

Salsa

Well, none of the footage I've seen so far seems to implement AO better than any other AO heavy game I've played. If anything it's worse, as evident by the buggy detection. Like I said in the other thread though, this could be one of those games where the SSAO quality filter is cranked to completely absurd levels of extreme with little to no visual difference yet at the expense of performance. Kind of like turning up Amnesia's SSAO sampling to stupid high.

comparing how a game's gonna run based on another better looking game running better always leads to disappointing results

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pretty much every game across next generation will be using a deferred rendering engine, so we can all look forward to horrible MSAA performance.

comparing how a game's gonna run based on another better looking game running better always leads to disappointing results

Yeah, I know :(.

Tobor

Will there be a thread where someone just tells me where the settings should be based on my hardware? Lol.

This stuff is confusing.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Will there be a thread where someone just tells me where the settings should be based on my hardware? Lol.

This stuff is confusing.

You know what, I actually wish there was a site that did nothing but benchmarks of new games with a semi-wide range of cookie cutter rigs and there pops up potential tweaks and fixes then that would be posted there aswell all consolidated.

Let's make that site gaf.

Tobor

You know what, I actually wish there was a site that did nothing but benchmarks of new games with a semi-wide range of cookie cutter rigs and there pops up potential tweaks and fixes then that would be posted there aswell all consolidated.

Yes! That would be great.

That's actually a fantastic idea...

Corky

Right you have to search all over the place for this.

Yeah exactly anywhere from random german forums to steam forums to gaf to pictures uploaded somewhere etc etc, so who wants to join me in this endeavour?

legacyzero

Banned
Question for graphics GAF: Where the fuck is my sub surface scattering? I wants that shit all over place.

Play Hitman :p.
crazy detail

hma20121124140250878p5bj3.png
Yep!

sp3000

Question for graphics GAF: Where the fuck is my sub surface scattering? I wants that shit all over place.

I think very few games have it outside of Crysis

2pblu.jpg

It cannot be implemented on consoles and has to be developed for material, so most games do not use it.

Hitman doesn't seem to be using it, it just has a really high resolution texture. A face that has it looks like
CryEngine-3-SDK-tessellation-face.jpg

In other words, light is reflected and dispersed beneath the material itself, which avoids that plastic like face that every game has

Play Hitman :p.

Pretty sure that's not SSS. Unless you've read something that says it definitely is.

Edit: I agree with sp3000 - it's just a high res texture.

I think very few games have it outside of Crysis

2pblu.jpg

It cannot be implemented on consoles and has to be developed for each texture, so most games do not use it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Crysis is the only game I've seen it in.

Yeah exactly anywhere from random german forums to steam forums to gaf to pictures uploaded somewhere etc etc, so who wants to join me in this endeavour?

I wouldn't know how to help with the website or whatever, but I can benchmark. Anything helps right? :)

EatChildren

Pretty sure that's not SSS. Unless you've read something that says it definitely is.

Edit: I agree with sp3000 - it's just a high res texture.

They're either using a shader to fake it, or 47's ears have SSS implemented to simulate light casting through the thinner skin. You can't see it in that screenshot, but you can definitely notice it in parts of the game.

EDIT: Here, in this shot I took.

hit22ufi6.png

legacyzero

Banned
Does the game still control like complete ass on a game pad, ala Far Cry 2? For example, not being able to rotate or strafe while sprinting, input lag, sticky y/x axis transfer speeds, or inane auto-aim solutions.

Its the one thing keeping me away from this game. If its more Far Cry 2 I'll ignore it even for a low price.
I dont know about ALL of that, but I'm hearing from some that had some hands-on time on the Ubi Forums that the Accelerated Aim is out.

That was my main concern too. Seems like they smoothed this baby out I hope.

They're either using a shader to fake it, or 47's ears have SSS implemented to simulate light casting through the thinner skin. You can't see it in that screenshot, but you can definitely notice it in parts of the game.

Huh, could not tell from that picture, the skin shades look pretty flat.

Edit: Jesus shit we've derailed this FC3 thread :lol

sp3000

Huh, could not tell from that picture, the skin shades look pretty flat.

Edit: Jesus shit we've derailed this FC3 thread :lol

Well a Far Cry thread is always going to have graphics talk, sort of like a Crysis thread

Although coming back to the game, I haven't seen anything that justifies the huge performance hit. This game doesn't look anywhere as good as Crysis 1, but seems to run a lot worse. I wonder if the DX11 path is just unoptimized.

I wonder if it's just deferred MSAA eating all the framerate

Corky

Well a Far Cry thread is always going to have graphics talk, sort of like a Crysis thread

Although coming back to the game, I haven't seen anything that justifies the huge performance hit. This game doesn't look anywhere as good as Crysis 1, but seems to run a lot worse. I wonder if the DX11 path is just unoptimized.

I wonder if it's just deferred MSAA eating all the framerate

In-game AA and most likely AO are the first settings I'm turning off without even checking. I'm sure those two alone eat 30 fps together.

Eideka

Banned
Metro was a graphical wonder in general IMO.

The IMO is useless, the game is just fucking astounding graphically speaking. But it has its very underwhelming moments, I'm thinking of some textures in Dead City, particularly the snow...Eww.

I have no doubt Metro Last Light will be far more polished in that regard.

In-game AA and most likely AO are the first settings I'm turning off without even checking. I'm sure those two alone eat 30 fps together.
Unfortunately according to pcgameshardware.de there is only a 5fps difference between the SSAO and its heavier counterpart HBAO.

As usual MSAA is the real heavy hitter.

Top Bottom