• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

SJRB

Gold Member
I prefer cheapest;)

But I'll settle with a few euro more if this means I can play a DD version on launch day.

In that case you're best of over at GMG, I got it for 35 euros.

The cheapest boxed versions are about 30 bucks ex shipping, so all in all that Amazon deal is worth getting assuming it's DD.

WINGSUIT!!

WOW that is fucking awesome.

ancient-aliens-is-such-a-thing-even-possible-yes-it-is-Giorgio-Tsoukalos-aliums-1351596245T.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Re: thread title, what similarities does this game have with Uncharted?

Other than a douchey looking bro main character not much. Missions are supposed to be really linear which sucks but I guess that's the best way to make sure they're unique from the rest of the game.

Clydebink

Neo Member
Has anyone seen any evidence of feature disparity between platforms. The only thing I've read is that there may be more limitations to the map sizes in the editor for the console versions.
I had a lot of fun playing user made maps in Farcry 2 on the Xbox, while the community was still healthy.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just read in the previous pages that a GTX 570 struggles with this game... WHAT? :(

Still going with the PC version though and looks like I may need to upgrade as well.

Ledsen

Just read in the previous pages that a GTX 570 struggles with this game... WHAT? :(

Still going with the PC version though and looks like I may need to upgrade as well.

It doesn't struggle with it, you'll just have to use high settings instead of Ultra... don't know why people are so surprised by this, on absolute MAX settings like in that benchmark they use a very demanding form of AO, and I'm sure there's other settings that can be turned down without much consequence to the overall quality to give you a consistent 60 fps.

Derrick01

Banned
Damn did people end up being wrong. Far Cry 3 is our savoir from this!

They may not have been completely wrong. I'll repeat that the missions seem to be mostly linear, or scripted at the very least. Reviews mentioned this as well. A lot of the footage that brought all those reactions out were story missions.

legacyzero

Banned
Some of the missions are streamlined according to the reviews. But I'm ok with a little hand holding for some missions when that huge ass open world is awaiting.

EDIT: beaten. Daaaaaamn yoooou derrricccckk :p

SJRB

Gold Member
They may not have been completely wrong. I'll repeat that the missions seem to be mostly linear, or scripted at the very least. Reviews mentioned this as well. A lot of the footage that brought all those reactions out were story missions.

You mean scripted like pretty much every story mission in every sandbox game ever?

Pretty silly to hold this against this game in particular.

Derrick01

Banned
You mean scripted like pretty much every story mission in every sandbox game ever?

Pretty silly to hold this against this game in particular.

Well let me start off by saying that I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. I mean GTA San Andreas is my favorite sandbox game ever and a big reason for that are the relatively scripted missions that let you do really memorable things. Yeah I could fly planes on my own but a mission to sneak through a military ship and steal a harrier was special.

But there's a difference between scripted and totally linear. I remember one of those old FC3 videos in particular which had you escaping from a burning building and it was really linear (as in you couldn't take a wrong turn and risk burning to death) with some really weak platforming parts in it. That's only 1 example of course so maybe the rest of the game is different, but that kind of stuff is what I'm hoping to avoid in this game.

It would be cool if the missions let you do scripted but awesome things that you couldn't really pull off on your own. Like in Just Cause 2 you can ride on top of giant missiles on a certain missions but not in the free roam parts.

-BLITZ-

Why So Sirius channel is making a walkthrough of the game, but this doesn't matter to me because their footage are the best quality so far and even if I see pretty much everything about the game first missions, I will play it in my own way.

Until the game is out, I will just watch these and enjoy myself with some good gameplay.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, the story seems to be decent and the presentation, voice acting and the rest is supposed to be top notch as well. I'll take a more focused and driven approach for the main campaign, as I still have a massive unscripted world to enjoy at my leisure, with a plethora of things to do. It is really the best of both worlds like this and I am glad they went this route.

AEREC

It doesn't struggle with it, you'll just have to use high settings instead of Ultra... don't know why people are so surprised by this, on absolute MAX settings like in that benchmark they use a very demanding form of AO, and I'm sure there's other settings that can be turned down without much consequence to the overall quality to give you a consistent 60 fps.

Will be interesting to see how this runs on my 460 1gb. FC2 ran at a constant 60, so if FC3 is similar then ill be happy. I guess I won't running on max either, but I will be running it at 720p so that should help.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, have to experiment a bit I guess, but in a way it's so weird considering that card used to run pretty much any game (I've played) on max. Also kind of pleased that this game is pushing the graphics bar, might get a new card if there's big gulf in quality between high and ultra.

That's the fun part though, one of the reasons why I love gaming on PC so much.

legacyzero

Banned
I get that, its just I've NEVER noticed screen tearing in a game. Ever. Even when its pointed out that its there.

I guess I'm lucky, cuz it definitely seems to bother other people a whole hell of a lot.
Most games have it under control, though.

See games like Darksiders. That shit was HORRENDOUS pre-patch.

Man I know I shouldn't but I really think I'm going to buckle and pre-order. I enjoyed FC2 for the most part and this is sounding much better. Just in time for the end of my final college semester...

Concept17

I get that, its just I've NEVER noticed screen tearing in a game. Ever. Even when its pointed out that its there.

I guess I'm lucky, cuz it definitely seems to bother other people a whole hell of a lot.

I only occasionaly notice it on larger screens. And even then, I don't think its much of a problem. Some people consider it game-breaking, which is insane to me.

Megasoum

Banned
I wish Steam always offered the possibility to pay the difference to upgrade to a "Deluxe edition" like they do with some games. I bought the normal edition but now suddenly I kinda want the deluxe lol.

legacyzero

Banned
I can't find this game on Steam UK...what's going on ?

Kotaku wants to know too:

"We've been in discussions with Valve about Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3, but for the time being the games are not available via Steam in the UK," an Ubisoft rep told PCGamesN.

"In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase either of these games can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors. Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 are available on Steam in other regions outside the UK."

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It ain't easy being cynical :|

I want good games.
I'm happy this is getting ridiculously good scores.
Then I check the different outlets giving this 9/10, 10/10 and lo and behold they gave me3 the same. Considering the massive backlash that game got I really hope it won't be the same case for fc3.

Actually, it's different on a game by game basis. In some games the tearing is not only less, but also in a part of the screen that you won't focus on for example the top 5% of the screen or something.

I hope this game ends up being something special. I've had fun with some 2012 games but between Dark Souls PC, Skyrim modded to hell and back and The Witcher 2 Extended Edition, I've spent more time and had more fun replaying 2011 games this year. There hasn't been any special stand out titles for me this year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why would you think that an aging video card could handle a new dx11 game at max settings?

Because it cuts through better looking games like butter.

Far Cry 3 seems to be doing a whole lot of awesome stuff, looks good, and it's open world. But I have no doubt that 1080p with no AA should net more than an average of 30fps on a 570 GTX. I don't have anything to back that up other than owning a 570 GTX and expecting more :p.

Top Bottom