• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

So some people at gamefaqs were mentioning that the difficulty level you set on story mode actually affects player vs player multiplayer. I thought this was absolutely crazy, but anyone know for sure?

AHA-Lambda

Finished it yesterday, it was fine. That's my biggest compliment and criticism of it, simply fine.

I'm disappointed given all of the really high reviews it has received but the game just didn't stand out for me really in any meaningful way from other open world FPS games.

Regards to particulars, my highest praise goes to the cast of psychotics in the game; they really did nail those characters, especially Vaas as we all know.

My biggest criticism goes to the other characters, especially Jason Brody. His "descent" was ham fisted and unbelievable.
Basically he turns into a bit of a gun nut looking for revenge and as much as the game might want as to see him on the same level as Hoyt, Citra and Vaas, it just wasn't working.

I really wanted to see this game experiment with actual insanity on some level like Lord of the Flies or what Spec Ops did with Heart of Darkness. Instead
our main character just got high a few times.

Lastly, as we all know, but it's worth mentioning, play this on PC. The game looks downright bad in some places on the 360.

Scapegoat

Hey guys, quick Q (okay it didn't turn out so quick):

I'm pretty sick at the moment so have been taking the time to clean up a bunch of the open world goodness, while leaving the main story missions for when I'm in a more enjoyable/lucid state. I was exploring the cave that your friends setup in and I saw a red pill in their pot of beans... I ate it without hesitation.

Now my autosave is "stuck" in this mission, which looks like some sort of awesome flashback. As I said - I would prefer to save all the good, high production value content until I'm better - but my only other save is about 2-3 hours behind. Now my question is: is this simply a short cutscene and then back to playing? Or is it a full mission? I don't mind replaying the lost 2 hours but would feel pretty stupid if I did, and then when I eventually came to taking the pill, finding out it's no more than 30 seconds.

Cheers guys, loving the game so far! It's hilarious how they managed to make Far Cry 2 into this incredible game by injecting a bunch of Assassin's Creed into it lol.

Pooya

I haven't used keyboard for gaming for quite some time now, I play everything with pad usually unless it RTS, just wondering now...

Is this type of repeatedly pressing Space Bar to do QTE considered acceptable? it's pretty bad. Does the game have many of that?

my 360 pad is broke I don't have any other option other than motioninjoy with DS3 and I don't really want to mess with that.

Ricker

Finally decided to go with the PC version,especially at 38 bucks and the fact that game around here on the 360 is completly sold out everywhere because it was 39 bucks on boxing day...

Just one question about FoV since I never tamper with this because I mostly play on consoles...the default setting is at 7 I think...you increase the slider to the right to have a better,wider view or decrease it?...this is the distance first person way your gun for example is closer or farther from you?

1stStrike

Banned
Finally decided to go with the PC version,especially at 38 bucks and the fact that game around here on the 360 is completly sold out everywhere because it was 39 bucks on boxing day...

Just one question about FoV since I never tamper with this because I mostly play on consoles...the default setting is at 7 I think...you increase the slider to the right to have a better,wider view or decrease it?...this is the distance first person way your gun for example is closer or farther from you?

FOV is your field of view, meaning how much you can see around you. Narrowing it would allow you to see less, but would "zoom in" more on what you could see (making aiming potentially a bit easier) while raising the slider will allow you to see more but things will appear a bit further away. I always go for 110 (or in this case, just slide all the way to the right) as I prefer to be able to see more of what's around me and lower FOV's tend to make people nauseous (hasn't happened to me, but I have gotten headaches from it).

I'd just play around with it and see what FOV setting works best for you.

legacyzero

Banned
Oh, I didn't realize we were in community already :p

Fov in the PC version is great. Its the hud that can be an issue. Most of it can be removed, but not the shitty mini map, unless you mod it out.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Ok, so I beat the game. I'm a little confused by what everyone thought "ruined" the game? what was it?
I chose to save the friends. Is the other option super sucky or something?

edit: also, is there no way to
go back and make the other decision?

Ricker

FOV is your field of view, meaning how much you can see around you. Narrowing it would allow you to see less, but would "zoom in" more on what you could see (making aiming potentially a bit easier) while raising the slider will allow you to see more but things will appear a bit further away. I always go for 110 (or in this case, just slide all the way to the right) as I prefer to be able to see more of what's around me and lower FOV's tend to make people nauseous (hasn't happened to me, but I have gotten headaches from it).

I'd just play around with it and see what FOV setting works best for you.

Oh, I didn't realize we were in community already :p

Fov in the PC version is great. Its the hud that can be an issue. Most of it can be removed, but not the shitty mini map, unless you mod it out.

Ok thanks guys...

Also the achievements aren't shown on Steam just on UPlay?

NBtoaster

I haven't used keyboard for gaming for quite some time now, I play everything with pad usually unless it RTS, just wondering now...

Is this type of repeatedly pressing Space Bar to do QTE considered acceptable? it's pretty bad. Does the game have many of that?

my 360 pad is broke I don't have any other option other than motioninjoy with DS3 and I don't really want to mess with that.

Game has tons of QTEs.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
FWIW, it took me 18 hours to beat the game on expert. That's with a ton of fucking around too. I thought it was much more than that.

I've played a few hours of this, and i have quite enjoyed it so far. However, i have seen a few people say it is like "Skyrim with guns". I don't know if i'm missing something, but i don't see how it's ANYTHING like Skyrim. The only similar thing is the open-world aspect. Can someone explain how they are similar?

I've played a few hours of this, and i have quite enjoyed it so far. However, i have seen a few people say it is like "Skyrim with guns". I don't know if i'm missing something, but i don't see how it's ANYTHING like Skyrim. The only similar thing is the open-world aspect. Can someone explain how they are similar?

I think Far Cry 3 really sets itself apart from herp-a-derp (swing your sword at everything works Skyrim) especially if you set it to Hard. The stealth aspect really comes out.

There was really no strategy to Skyrim, such can be said about Far Cry 3 on the easier settings. That's where the similarities come in. Both games offer an open world in which you can level up and do a lot of things, but it's not necessary due to how easy the games are. But like I said, Far Cry 3 as well designed harder settings.

TTG

I think they needed some sort of marketing hook and Skyrim was the closest big selling game that's not a shooter(because both are open world and FC3 does have a faux level up perk system and the crafting stuff). I can see why FC3's high points would be harder to market to the same crowd that's being "blown away" by call of duty's set pieces. I'm sure they were weary because FC2 wasn't a big success either.

I think the trailers Red Dead Redemption had to showcase different systems and mechanics would have been more interesting. But, who knows, maybe "Skyrim with guns" speaks directly to a wider audience, inaccurate though it is.

Rikyfree

Happy New Year! I have an issue. I have a bow hanging at my side at all times and it's really annoying. Anyone have a solution to this? PS3 here btw.

Pooya

the menus clearly weren't meant to be navigated with keyboard/mouse here, really bad. Driving is really really bad too. guess I'll wait till I have a working gamepad.

I think Far Cry 3 really sets itself apart from herp-a-derp (swing your sword at everything works Skyrim) especially if you set it to Hard. The stealth aspect really comes out.

There was really no strategy to Skyrim, such can be said about Far Cry 3 on the easier settings. That's where the similarities come in. Both games offer an open world in which you can level up and do a lot of things, but it's not necessary due to how easy the games are. But like I said, Far Cry 3 as well designed harder settings.

Difficulty doesn't have anything to do with if the games are similar though. So far the games have nothing in common other than they are both open world, you can level up and there's a few quests. If Far-Cry 3 had a Skyrim style loot system (as in you actually see what you loot and things have a purpose) and some sort of RPG elements such as choices as well as a good reason to explore (Skyim has dungeons, loot, random encounters etc. All I've seen from FarCry 3 is a few interesting but meaningless locations) then i'd agree with them being similar.

SJRB

Gold Member
Not sure what's going on, but there's a huge Ubi marketing blitzkrieg going on at the moment over here, billboards with Assassin's Creed III and tv commercials for both ACIII and Far Cry 3 all over the place.

What a weird moment, so right after the holidays.

Klocker

Not sure what's going on, but there's a huge Ubi marketing blitzkrieg going on at the moment over here, billboards with Assassin's Creed III and tv commercials for both ACIII and Far Cry 3 all over the place.

What a weird moment, so right after the holidays.

possibly leveraging the awards and the CoD/Halo 4 hangovers.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Underwater segments in games still continue to scare me since Super Mario 64. Not a fan of the sharks.

Scary shit: Shooting a seagull and swimming out to see if I actually got it only to see a shark in the distance.

Scarier shit: Seeing the shadow of another shark swimming above me as I'm skinning the first shark.

Got the fuck out of there.

Pooya

I was swimming out of a cave to go skin the goat I just killed just to get attacked by a croc....

it was quite shocking.

Really hate carrying limits in any game and here it's pretty annoying. this kind of inventory management isn't fun. looking how much junk you have to gather to upgrade stuff having to worry about your loot limit is pretty pointless. I just have to fast travel and sell all of that once in a while, just let me carry as much as I want, what's the point.

overall UI design in this game is horrendous with bad colors. I have to look twice at everything and read descriptions to see what it is about. It's very busy and font is horrible too. There are a lot of multi layer menus and tab switching and a lot of wasted space at the same time, it's not efficient at all, a lot of things could have been merged into one for faster use and less button presses and transitions between menus.
AC3 was similarly horrible, they seriously need better UI designers at Ubi Montreal.

Animals take too much ammo to die, specially the hunter kind. Aiming and guns overall feel pretty mediocre, it doesn't have the feedback that you actually hit something. I don't like the bow either, it's pretty bad with no real impact.

Cheesy dialog and oh Jason you're a warrior blah blah, seriously who wrote this thing? yikes. Vaas on the other hand sounded actually believable in the intro.

Leaving Mission Area? seriously? I thought I was playing an open world game which was supposed to let me do what I want.

I like the concept of 'emergent' game play this game is aiming for and there are some really great random moments, unfortunately I don't think mechanics are executed as well as they could have been.

^my thoughts after 5 hours.

So is there any way to stealth kill heavies? I can creep up behind them but there's no takedown option, and a single silenced sniper round just seems to make them stagger.

Jedi2016

When I'm snooping around with the camera, I see a lot of "flashes" in the distance, like the sun catching on something. What are those? Is it highlighting loot or something?

TTG

What's everyone's weapon load out? I've been stuck with the same stuff for some time now: Silenced MS16(the single shot assault rifle that's accurate) for stealthy stuff, special weapon sniper(it unlocked way before the actual rifle in the store), the grenade launcher and the good light machine gun for crowd and animal control.

The fact that you can attach a silencer to most guns sort of renders hand guns and sum machine guns irrelevant.

I run almost full stealth: Silenced sniper, Silenced F1 w/ extended clip or silenced MP5 for close quarters, the bow which is my usual primary, and a shotgun for surprise encounters in the bush, taking out bears and the like or when things go loud.

TTG

I do miss the silencer on my old sniper, but it makes things almost too easy. The bow used to be a regular until the grenade launcher. How can you not leave a spot for that? it's awesome, I just took down a helicopter with 1 lazy shot.

Tomat

This game is fantastic. About 4 hours in so far and just rescued the "second friend." Spent most of my time going around clearing camps and radio towers. Love how stealth works in this game, seems a lot better than how FarCry 2 handled it.

Dennis

Banned
It is all falling in place and Far Cry 3 has become a masterpiece.

Found the perfect solutions.

Playing completely without HUD and with holstering of guns when I don't want them showing.

Hardest difficulty, can't see health bars, have to count ammo in head, no enemy detection bars. Stealth becomes much more challenging and lifelike.

So immensely immersive, so beautiful.........*single tear*

Oh, I do believe I am going to put a bullet in the brain of that Vaas guy.

Ricker

Just tried the first co-op mission with a friend and nothing happened after we had killed everyone in the village...do we have to click on something? we see the little orange circle floating in the air but that's it,mission never completed...glitch?

SJRB

Gold Member
I've been cracking down on the second island quite a lot, labeling it an "afterthought", but now that I'm liberating outposts it shows again and again that there's quite a lot of effort put into the overall layout and flow of the island.

Not to mention the outposts, which seem more expansive and intricate than the outposts on the first island. None of this really became appearant during the single player campaign though.

I still prefer the jungle to the grassland, but an afterthought it is not. Lack of cover also artificially boosts the difficulty a bit because you can't just "disappear" in the jungle.

Adam Blue

I wrote an article for my blog about my take on Far Cry 3's story. If any of you appreciate - either like or dislike - the story of Far Cry 3 and have some writing chops, email me at adam@bluegamer.net. I'd like to send you a copy and have it looked to see if it makes sense. I'm very proud of what I wrote.

TTG

I've been cracking down on the second island quite a lot, labeling it an "afterthought", but now that I'm liberating outposts it shows again and again that there's quite a lot of effort put into the overall layout and flow of the island.

Not to mention the outposts, which seem more expansive and intricate than the outposts on the first island. None of this really became appearant during the single player campaign though.

I still prefer the jungle to the grassland, but an afterthought it is not. Lack of cover also artificially boosts the difficulty a bit because you can't just "disappear" in the jungle.

Yea, it's nice. The highest point in the game, elevation wise, looks to be there as well. I took a hang glider from the top to a mission location 3200 meters away and still had to parachute down, you can probably fly straight from one island to the other from there.

As you mentioned, the outposts are a lot better fortified as well. More enemies, a lot more heavies and enemies in buildings rather than on patrol. I've actually started to set up mines and preemptively disable alarms because the chance of triggering one is so much higher.

I would have liked to see more climate change and not just from island to island.

Tomat

I noticed the statistics screen says there are 43 weapons in the game. I'm pretty sure I have most of the weapons unlocked in the shops already.

Is there a second tier of weapons that opens up later in the game or something?

I noticed the statistics screen says there are 43 weapons in the game. I'm pretty sure I have most of the weapons unlocked in the shops already.

Is there a second tier of weapons that opens up later in the game or something?

You get signature weapons for getting collectibles.

Top Bottom