• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

TTG

Approaching an enemy outpost from a beach side, I decide to infiltrate via the dock. So, let's go for a little swim! Get in the water, get bitten by a shark, make a dash for the nearest rock formation and take my revenge on the fucker. In the process of diving for dat shark pelt, I uncover a huge underwater temple. I finally have a use for that underwater breathing potion I made like 5 hours ago! Explore the temple, come back out and what do I see? A giant stingray, the size of a killer whale, just swimming around minding his own business. My mind is completely blown at this point, I swim around with the stingray for a while, it's cool, find one of those medium sized patrol boats. Sail back to the dock and start sniping those idiots from the boat!

Unfortunately, I got killed shortly after I finally stepped foot on dry land, those berserkers that throw molotovs can be a pain. Doesn't really matter though. THIS GAME... it has its moments.

TTG

Okay, the Buck missions... wow. It's like you got an open world Uncharted and it soooo fucking works. After running around the island for a dozen hours, all of a sudden it has all of this to offer. I'm all in at this point, on the short list with XCOM for GOTY. Why does it shoot itself in the foot early on? I guess I'll never know.

saunderez

Okay, the Buck missions... wow. It's like you got an open world Uncharted and it soooo fucking works. After running around the island for a dozen hours, all of a sudden it has all of this to offer. I'm all in at this point, on the short list with XCOM for GOTY. Why does it shoot itself in the foot early on? I guess I'll never know.
I loved Buck. One of the games best antagonists. His history lessons were fantastic.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I was really bored of this game by the end. Ultimately a disappointing sequel.

Yeah first third of the game I loved it.

The entire buck section of missions were boring as fuck for me.

On the 2nd island there was an insta fail stealth mission and despite liking parts of the game decided enough was enough and decided to send it back to gamefly and youtube the so bad they aren't even funny endings.

Still the first third/half was one of my favorite experiences this year.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Did you play the co-op yet?

The end doesn't make sense,
Why are your friends kidnapped by Citra? Jason never even implied to Citra that he wanted to get off the island.

Because OH GOD WE HAVE TWO WEEKS TO FINISH THE STORY AND SHIP CUT ANYTHING NOT FINISHED FUCK STORY CONTINUITY!

Citra was using him the whole time. If you side with her she kills you.

Yeah, but why did she kidnap Jasons friends? They were gonna leave the island, Jason would stay, Citra could've killed him then, but I suppose they choose this style of ending to make it simple
Like ME3s ending, a point where everything is decided.

saunderez

Yeah, but why did she kidnap Jasons friends? They were gonna leave the island, Jason would stay, Citra could've killed him then, but I suppose they choose this style of ending to make it simple
She kidnapped them to manipulate you further. It's your last trial, to cut all bonds to your former life. Dennis mentions it a couple of times throughout the game, your past is your weakness. I thought "Fuck you Citra stop drugging me" and saved my friends, the manipulation made my decision easy.

SJRB

Gold Member

To make him cut all ties with his former life, to give him the final push into insanity, to test his allegiance, to complete his transformation into a Rakyat warrior.

Come on dude, this story is as straightforward as it gets and already disappointingly barebones as it is, don't overthink shit like this.

I don't remember some of the conversations between them, doing other shit like hunting, outposts, radio towers and side quests made me forget them, its not a memorable story, with memorable characters.

saunderez

I don't remember some of the conversations between them, doing other shit like hunting, outposts, radio towers and side quests made me forget them, its not a memorable story, with memorable characters.
I felt the opposite but I don't blame you for glossing over details I do it all the time. If you need any more clarifying I'll try to help as this game was really engrossing to me for some reason.

Are you talking Buck's missions where you're underground? Those levels were actually fun.

tci

This game was rather good. It lost its focus after the first bad guy. Solid 7/10 from me.

But what I liked the most was the mechanics. Finally a FPS that after Crysis that actually does something more with the genre. The take downs felt really good and was rather well implemented. Easy to perform as well.

1stStrike

Banned
One thing that surprised me was in the bad ending.
Jason is actually fucking Citra. First game I can recall where your character is having sex with another as far as a AAA title goes. AC2 has some, but it's not first person and the chick isn't naked so it doesn't really count imo.

sTeLioSco

Banned
farcry3goty.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-201...und1a;People039sChoiceRoun;ViewTheFullBracket

SJRB

Gold Member
What was the deal with that in 2? All I could think was "What the hell is wrong with the voice acting in this game". Very strange.

It was sped up deliberately to give a sense of urgency, but the end result was annoying, confusing and more often than not hilarious. Another grave error in judgement on the dev team's behalf.

Watching over the cutscenes again, check out the few lines after 1:27 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lg9axeOHUo

This could've been some real Spec Ops: The Line-style foreshadowing here. Where it turns out at the end, Brody's heroics are as much in his head as his mushroom dreams. When he tries being a hero and it actually gets him and all of his friends killed. That would be more of a game subversion than rehashing "what makes a man into a monster" tropes that FC2 and a bunch of other games already did.

They could play up the fact of him being a dumbass kid more- maybe his undoing is that he thinks his situation, a video game come to life, is within his control, and it ends up causing him dearly. Maybe Dennis and the Rakyat were playing him for a chump the whole time, creating an elaborate dollar-store mystic hoodoo act to get him to overthrow the pirates and slavers for them. Sort of like the local Native Americans of Pawnee in Parks and Rec. In either case, they should play up the fact that he's a upper middle class typical American teen who's played video games and thinks he's in an action film, (sort of like Alcatraz in the Crysis 2 novelization), and let his actions be shaped by that characterization, instead of the "going native, he becomes a killing machine" trope.

Or maybe they could have even used the other kids as actual characters instead of MacGuffins to be rescued. Instead of more Hearts of Darkness savagery overlaid with Alice in Wonderland drugs, play off of Lord of the Flies instead! Make them active characters, not just useless first world victims!

TTG

Are you talking Buck's missions where you're underground? Those levels were actually fun.

Yea, pacing is great and just the over all tone is refreshing. There are certain things I expected the main missions to be(the GTA/RDR formula of throwing an army at you or FC2's giant nest of bad guys) and while this game has those, I'm glad there's room for a more laid back approach as well.

How far in to the story are his missions? I'm currently working through his. Thanks.

Hard to say, I've been clearing a ton of outposts, it's not late game by any means.

Ghost23

Is this game meant for me? Lately I have failed to finish some games because I become bored. I struggled through Darksiders, Skyrim, and even Dishonored (though this is partially due to the fact that my save got deleted half way through). However, I watched my friend play this today, and it looked a lot of fun. If I can at least get through the main story I will consider it a good buy. Is the game long?

1stStrike

Banned
Is this game meant for me? Lately I have failed to finish some games because I become bored. I struggled through Darksiders, Skyrim, and even Dishonored (though this is partially due to the fact that my save got deleted half way through). However, I watched my friend play this today, and it looked a lot of fun. If I can at least get through the main story I will consider it a good buy. Is the game long?

I did almost nothing but the main storyline and I clocked in at 20 hours at the end. I had all of the radio towers revealed, but a ton of side missions and such that I haven't touched yet.

I honestly though the story was interesting all the way through. It does struggle a little in places, but it's nothing major. I think I was one of the few that didn't hate Jason and loved the changes he went through along the way too.

If you're just going to play it for the main storyline, I'd say it's still a good buy.

Rikyfree

I need to do a run in this game next time where I go into ultra realism mode:

1. Perma death mode. I die, that's it, start over. I won't include stealth missions that you fail by being seen as I feel those are bs and I should be allowed to fight out of those anyways.

2. Hopefully the hud patch comes to ps3 in time for this so I can go hudless and w/o a crosshair.

3. Only max upgrades to my holsters with one caveat- if I use a launcher of any kind or lmg, only 3 weapons are to be carried as opposed to 4. My upgrades to ammo carrying is to be limited to 2 upgrades (quiver included, 2 for that as well) everything else gets 1 upgrade.

4. No signature weapons allowed and mods are also out, weapons are as I get them. No body armor is to be bought. Unless I find it, it cannot be used. Kind of wish I could turn off health regen but hey, whatever.

Should be uh, interesting...

TTG

My guess is you'll step over a campfire and die accidentally like 10 minutes in. Seriously, fire is the deadliest thing on the island, you have to be suicidal to use the flame thrower.

About Vaas...
Things were handled rather poorly with him, weren't they? Every interaction you have is the same scenario. And those handful of lines you get out of him while he's preparing to set Brody's girlfriend on fire is about as much insight as you're gonna get. I like the little twist that him and Citra are siblings, but again, doesn't do much for him.
Speaking of characters I've had contact with so far, Buck, The FBI guy and the drug addict doctor seem to be straight from the GTA mold. Which is fine, at least they're not boring. I am liking the sinister tinge that Citra is being painted with now, I'd like to think I know where that is going, but we'll see.

The real standouts of the "story" missions are the hallucinogenic dreams and Buck's treasure hunting sections. Those are well done.

conman

1. Perma death mode. I die, that's it, start over. I won't include stealth missions that you fail by being seen as I feel those are bs and I should be allowed to fight out of those anyways.

2. Hopefully the hud patch comes to ps3 in time for this so I can go hudless and w/o a crosshair.

3. Only max upgrades to my holsters with one caveat- if I use a launcher of any kind or lmg, only 3 weapons are to be carried as opposed to 4. My upgrades to ammo carrying is to be limited to 2 upgrades (quiver included, 2 for that as well) everything else gets 1 upgrade.

4. No signature weapons allowed and mods are also out, weapons are as I get them. No body armor is to be bought. Unless I find it, it cannot be used. Kind of wish I could turn off health regen but hey, whatever.

I'm doing a less, uh, "ambitious" version of this. The skill system, crafting system, and vending machines totally break the game IMO. So that's most of what I'm trying to fix. I've been tweaking this as I go, but it's still not quite right.

1) I'm not doing any skill upgrades that are stat boosts. That means, I'm only doing skill upgrades that give me new abilities/mechanics, but not things that give me percentage boosts, health increases, etc. Basically, anything with a number is a no no.

2) I'm similarly limiting crafting. The only things I'm letting myself craft are the extra weapon slots. No meds. No ammo pouches. Etc. Etc.

3) I'm not buying any weapons.

4) I'm not looting bodies or animals unless it's required for a mission (or one of the above crafting exceptions).

5) I'm not using weapon tagging or aim assist. I still haven't decided whether or not binoculars are off limits.

6) I'm trying not to use the big map. If Ubi releases a new patch that lets you turn off the minimap, I'll switch to turning off the minimap instead. Not a great solution.

Any suggestions or tweaks would be welcome. The game is just too easy as is.

Dries

Just bought this. Crossing my fingers it doesn't stutter...

Great. So it stutters like crazy. The stuttering is at any settings, except for the V sync "2 frames" option, but that caps my fps at 30, which isn't desireable either. Does anybody know a way to play with the "2 frames" V sync option with a fps higher than 30?

I can't believe I'm just not able to buy a game I legally purchased, thanks to stuttering. Seriously, developers, this whole stuttering issue in games is turning reeeally ugly now.

Klocker

I will do the same when done... will be playing this in some form for months to come just enjoying the open world skirmishes and retaking otposts.

I just did that mission where you save a friend by sniping loads of guys and then jumping in the boat with him.

Then he goes "WOAH BRO, THANKS FOR SAVING ME -- COOL TATS DUDER"

And this fucking cunt is meant to be someone I want to save? I wanted to put an arrow right between his eyes.

How far away am I from unlocking the second island? The story is really grinding me down :\

SJRB

Gold Member
I just did that mission where you save a friend by sniping loads of guys and then jumping in the boat with him.

Then he goes "WOAH BRO, THANKS FOR SAVING ME -- COOL TATS DUDER"

And this fucking cunt is meant to be someone I want to save? I wanted to put an arrow right between his eyes.

How far away am I from unlocking the second island? The story is really grinding me down :\

You got ways to go, but don't worry - he is easily the worst character in the game so it can only go up from here.

Finally platinum'd Far Cry 3. I really hope Ubisoft announces some awesome DLC to add to the single player somehow. No more trials or side missions.

Top Bottom