• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Tankshell

Just played for a couple of hours... seems great so far. Playing on PC, dx9 mode with everything maxed and it looks wonderfull. Only problem is I have had 1 PC freeze already since playing it ;/

Haven't had a PC totally lock up in years like that... could be coincidence I guess. Only further play will prove if it's a one off. Or a genuine problem.

Am using the new beta Nvidia driver for my gtx 580.

El-Suave

My first two or three hours with the PS3 version left me very impressed.
There is so much fun optional stuff to do, I went hunting to craft a bigger wallet and used a hangglider I found to get to the island where the required animal lives.
The choice of music when they decide to support the narrative in in game cutscenes has also been very nice so far.

I'm kinda keen on this now after the GiantBomb podcast. Sounds like everything I wanted AC3 to be.

How are load times on PS3? Is it "seamless" (read: pop-in) open world?

Senaxx

Banned
I've purchased the game from GmG and it all downloaded and unlocked successfully, but I really hate this uPlay program. Is it considered morally wrong to use a no-cd (if that one exists?) patch on my bought copy so I can just get rid of that uPlay shit? I'm not going to do any multiplayer so that shouldn't be affected.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Decided to play a few more hours and now I'm enjoying it. A question for the console guys. If using HDMI what display settings are you using. RGB or Ycbr? Ycbr looks more realistic in coloring but can look wish washy in certain areas while RGB looks great but sometimes too way too dark at night. I can't seem to get a good setting in game or the LED.

pm8wY.jpg

Megasoum

Banned
Oh...turns out my computer needed a reboot lol...

I get the game to run at 58-60 with a mix of high and very high in 1080p. Still in DX9 though, I'm about to try DX11 again now that I'm having more realistic results.

The game could really use a bit of AA though. What's the "cheapest" way I could add AA?

And what is the "GPU Max buffered frame" setting exactly? By default it was set to 1 but what's better? Higher or lower?

Lyonaz

How is this game compared to FC2, cause i really didnt like the second.

I hated Far Cry 2, but FC3 is absolutely fantastic. No silly respawning enemy checkpoints or crazy Death Jeeps running you over every 50 meters. In this game I'm John Rambo with a recurve bow shooting up pirates and skinning wildlife on a big ass island.

Not to mention game looks absolutely stunning maxed out on PC.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow wtf... lol... I started with med-high settings and started increasing all of them one by one and I ended up with almost everything set to maximum except Post FX that I set to High.

I'm even in DX 11 with 8x MSAA, enhanced thingy and HDAO...

And I'm stable at like 55fps.

iNvid02

Wow wtf... lol... I started with med-high settings and started increasing all of them one by one and I ended up with almost everything set to maximum except Post FX that I set to High.

xeILw.jpg

legacyzero

Banned

I wanna see the receipts.

EDIT: Maybe restart the game??
take a peek inside your case, see if somebody slipped in SLI 690s when you werent looking

NINJA ENTHUSIASTS!

Damn, I had absolutely no interest in this game after being incredibly disappointed with FC2, but now that I'm watching videos of the final version... I kinda want it.

But I have to wait until next week for the US release anyway. Blah.

Dynamic3

Would someone be kind enough to give me a quick idiots guide to using the VPN bypass? I'm preloaded on Steam and have Uplay installed.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Did anyone else almost faint at the sheer amount of tutorial pop-ups the first 30 min or so of the game? I could've sworn I cleared 50-60 of those pop up boxes.

legacyzero

Banned
Of course, I'm in Montreal and have been playing all night. You just need a VPN for Australia (or Europe now too I guess) to unlock the files on steam and then you put it in offline mode and you are golden.
So can you give me a TL;DR on how to do it? I've never done it :/

Megasoum

Banned
So can you give me a TL;DR on how to do it? I've never done it :/

I used http://www.vpnsecure.me/ and paid 2$ for a 2 day trial. Installed the app and connected to australia. Launched steam with the VPN open. Steam unpacked the game files automatically (if you haven't done the pre-load already do it before connecting to the VPN since that connection is really slow). Once it's unpacked switch Steam to Offline mode and launch the game! That's it.

You will have to enter the cd-key in Uplay but still have to launch it via Steam every time. As long as steam is in Offline mode it's gonna work. Oh and you can disconnect the VPN once it's in offline mode.

Edit: Also, install the uplay app before connecting to the VPN. There's a version that comes with the pre-load so it will install automatically but it will have to update and that takes a while on the slow connection.

legacyzero

Banned
I used http://www.vpnsecure.me/ and paid 2$ for a 2 day trial. Installed the app and connected to australia. Launched steam with the VPN open. Steam unpacked the game files automatically (if you haven't done the pre-load already do it before connecting to the VPN since that connection is really slow). Once it's unpacked switch Steam to Offline mode and launch the game! That's it.

You will have to enter the cd-key in Uplay but still have to launch it via Steam every time. As long as steam is in Offline mode it's gonna work. Oh and you can disconnect the VPN once it's in offline mode.

Edit: Also, install the uplay app before connecting to the VPN. There's a version that comes with the pre-load so it will install automatically but it will have to update and that takes a while on the slow connection.
So I got to this point..

Which one do I pick?

Just got my game unlocked running via VPN. Question, do I need to put uplay into offline mode as well or can I just leave it on and turn off the VPN and still get the uplay "points" when playing the game?

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody else is having a bit of audio corruption? It's not gamebreaking but I definitly have a bit of corruption... It's annoying.

Also it seems like the dragging doesn't work on the map most of the time. No idea why.

Just got my game unlocked running via VPN. Question, do I need to put uplay into offline mode as well or can I just leave it on and turn off the VPN and still get the uplay "points" when playing the game?

Steam needs to be in offline mode. I haven't done anything special to UPlay.

Dynamic3

I'm having a weird issue where Steam says I have no internet connection when using my VPN, yet Google thinks I'm in the UK and I can use the BBC iPlayer etc. Any ideas?

Top Bottom